• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fsmash overlord

Jonte

Smash Cadet
So I'm playing melee vs people on the IRC, and it's going pretty well so far.

By far the most problematic MU is Marth's who know how to edgeguard and space tippers consistent. Even if I'm beating him in the neutral game, getting strings and combos to 0-100%, it just requires him to grab me once/tipper me near the edge and it's gameover. I try to recover in different ways but I always get Fsmash or neutral B'd until I'm KO'd.

How do you guys deal with this? My Fox knowledge isn't great. So far I've tried to sweetspot the ledge as much as I could, or ledgetech the Fsmash but it doesn't cut it for me. It gets frustrating when I feel like I'm the one who is applying a lot of pressure, but he gets the stocks with 10% of the effort.

Please help? :f

KendallJackson

Smash Rookie
Be patient. Don't get frustrated. If you're going 100% aggro, a good Marth will notice and just try to get you by the edge so he can get that grab into edge guard. Learn to shorten your side b; it helps having more options to mix up your recovery. Also, get better at ledgeteching. It's not terribly hard.

But most importantly, realize that this is how the character Marth wins. He gets Fox off the stage. So think about what you have to do with your character to win (namely don't put yourself in a position to be edge guarded). Good luck.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
So I'm playing melee vs people on the IRC, and it's going pretty well so far.

By far the most problematic MU is Marth's who know how to edgeguard and space tippers consistent. Even if I'm beating him in the neutral game, getting strings and combos to 0-100%, it just requires him to grab me once/tipper me near the edge and it's gameover. I try to recover in different ways but I always get Fsmash or neutral B'd until I'm KO'd.

How do you guys deal with this? My Fox knowledge isn't great. So far I've tried to sweetspot the ledge as much as I could, or ledgetech the Fsmash but it doesn't cut it for me. It gets frustrating when I feel like I'm the one who is applying a lot of pressure, but he gets the stocks with 10% of the effort.

Please help? :f
you're asking how to deal with getting fsmashed off staged while you're off stage. you can't deal with that because you're already in the disadvantaged position. that question is almost like saying "i'm in hitstun and falco is falling above me with a dair offstage and I don't want to die, what should I do?" (you die).

the best way to avoid that is to not get off stage. in order to do that you should probably avoid getting grabbed by marth or being above him for no reason. if you're getting killed quickly you probably are not DI'ing well, you are recovering below the stage (bad!), you are getting gimped near the ledge (1 don't get grabbed, realize where you are getting grabbed, and don't play by the ledge if you're losing the exchanges). if you keep getting fsmashed just bait them out using DD, shield them, do anything really because fsmash is not a solid marth strategy.

now because inevitably you will wind up off stage, know your mixups and when to take the correct option. if the ledge is not covered than take it and be comfortable there and get your ledge dash down. learn how to shorten your side b into a sweet spot, be comfortable sweet spotting in general, ledge teching, hitting your angles correctly, and know that if you recover high vs Marth you probably won't die or get killed immediately anyways. what usually happens is you reset the situation or you get hit by a fair/nair and you can DI those hits pretty well or marth eventually messes up the edge guard (which happens 99% of the time) if you can keep prolonging it and not get hit by kill moves.

it's not about applying "pressure" per se either. when I'm playing someone I know I can beat, I'm not phased when they apply a lot of pressure (especially when people think they have amazing shield pressure and they don't, that's where knowing ur framez comes in for me anyways). it's about getting meaningful hits and stage position, however you define that.

grab marth -> ****, use your DD because it's good

punish whiffs with grab, drill shine, running shine into ****, utilt is also good when you are comboing

nair is not bad either

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
blacktician put it perfectly. That's pretty much how I was told to play against Marth.

Fox's DD is amazing because you can weave in and out of Marth's moves.

Top Bottom