• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frustrated and annoyed at balance and viability of characters in SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Eggplantwizard

Smash Rookie
I feel as though when ever I play for glory I'm playing against the same people playing the same characters. The only characters I ever see are fast characters fox, Yoshi, Zero Suit Samus, captain falcon, with the occasional long range charcters that seem to never use anything besides the same moves that keep me at a distance not really spam but not exactly actively playing either.

The people I encounter usually dodge around constantly and I can't seem to punish them and when I make an attempt to punish I get punished. If they approach with an aerial I usually shield and try to grab but I find my self just missing them because they hit the ground and rolled away in what seemed to be an instant. I have these problems when I play Jigglypuff and sometimes when I play Ness.

I feel as though slow characters just aren't viable are at least aren't as viable as slow characters. I find that fast characters are low risk-high reward and slow characters are high risk-Decent reward(maybe). Even though this game brings the largest amount of characters we have ever seen into the mix it seems to discourage people from playing the same handful of characters that have always been played.

I wrote this after coming off a losing streak but I find that when I play I am either playing against people who have just started off so it's not challenging or fun and I imagine frustrating for the other player or I play against really good people or people who resort to the "roll, roll, roll, punish tactic" over and over again. I'm no where near a pro player(if it wasn't already obvious enough from my whining ranting above) but I'm not a completely garbage player either.

Even though SSB4 is overall better than Brawl, in my opinion. I feel as though getting good matches with players around the same skill level as me is extremely rare and I either walk away from a session feeling some what disappointed or so angry that I don't even want to pick up the game for a while. I would like constructive feed back and some tips to punish against constant rollers and fast characters when I'm playing slower less popular characters.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hi, welcome to Smashboards. I think the frustration you're having is pretty frequent and common in all types of fighters. There's always going to be those characters that are easier to use than others, almost giving people a head start in learning and getting better. The next part you're having with is matchup and game knowledge. These things take time to learn and figure out. Learning how to tackle a situation on what your opponent does is key to shutting that down on every future chance that happens. Sometimes you'll have to put in the work to learn the proper punishes, and after that you might have a much easier time.

Slow characters having a high risk and worse reward happens a lot in everything Mobility and options can help out a character a ton, and sometimes the developer has issues balancing it just right. This isn't a problem in just Smash 4, it happens in every game.

Since this is the Light House, I'll have to close the thread. LH is mostly a discussion for non-Smash titles. Since it sounds like you're looking for some help and advice, I suggest taking a look at the Wii U/3DS character boards for your characters or against characters you have problems fighting. If you're looking for some general advice, this is a good thread to look at and ask questions http://smashboards.com/threads/game-play-advice-and-general-discussion.382927/

If you're looking to post in the competitive section of Smash 4, be sure to read this stickied thread first
http://smashboards.com/threads/overview-etiquette-and-rules.367663/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom