• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Frozen Turnip Glitch Finally Solved!

Vesne

Smash Cadet
Main Sections
1: What Does The Frozen Turnip Glitch Do?

2: How Do You Do The Frozen Turnip Glitch?
3: What Happens When You Do The Frozen Turnip Glitch With Mr. Saturn, Bob-omb, & Beamsword?

Bonus Sections (Only read these sections if interested, not necessary information)
4: What Happens When You Do The Frozen Turnip Glitch On Other Items?
5: Black Hole Glitch With Frozen Turnips
6: History & Discovery Of The Frozen Turnip Glitch

Feel free to leave any questions in the comments if you couldn't find the answer after reading the whole post. :)

What Does The Frozen Turnip Glitch Do?

The frozen turnip glitch is a glitch on the 1.00 NTSC version of melee that will cause a turnip to not travel any distance when thrown and will remain frozen in air with the hitbox still active. The turnip will stay in place indefinitely and won't disappear after a set amount of time. This means you can leave a turnip as a remote hitbox to temporarily control a part of the stage or set it offstage by the ledge to intercept an opponents recovery. The hitbox is deactivated after hitting an opponent but if the turnip is picked up and thrown the turnip will become frozen in this new position with a reactivated hitbox. When a frozen turnip has an active hitbox it can be used to repeatedly hit shields without deactivating the hitbox, the turnip will hit the shield every 17 frames until the shield is pushed out of range. Here is a gfy to show off some of these features with a frozen stitch face.

Items have a set distance where they can be grabbed from but for some reason every time a turnip is thrown the size of where the turnip can be grabbed grows. To help you get an idea of how much it grows each throw and how quickly the size can get out of hand here is a gfy of Peach throwing a frozen turnip 15 times on Final Destination. The grey boxes are the range of where Peach and Fox can pick up an item and the pink box around the turnip is the range where the turnip can be grabbed from. As you can see by the 15th throw the turnip regrab range is larger than all of FD! If you are inside the the turnips regrab box you can no longer use your tilts or jabs as that will cause you to pick up the turnip. If you use Z for aerials that will also force you to pick up the turnip mid air instead of using an aerial. If you Z drop a turnip the item regrab box does not grow or shrink and will remain the size it currently is.

Since the turnips don't disappear and can be regrabbed and thrown this means that a frozen turnip could be used for the rest of the match and could essentially remove both the ability for either players to use tilts or jabs since it will cause them to pick up the turnip. The only way for the enemy to remove the turnip is to die with it in their hand. Peach is capable of returning the turnip to normal by using her parasol while holding the turnip and Game & Watch can do the same by using his d-tilt while holding the turnip.

To Summarize The Frozen Turnip Glitch Will:
  • Cause the turnip freeze in place and remain stationary when thrown.
  • The frozen turnip will have an active hitbox which can hit an opponent once before it deactivates. While the hitbox is active it will hit any opponents shields in range once every 17 frames.
  • The frozen turnip will stay in that place forever and will not disappear after a set amount of time.
  • The frozen turnip can be picked up and rethrown as many times as desired in to a new position with a reactivated hitbox
  • Since every time a turnip is thrown the distance it can be grabbed from increases the frozen turnip can be grabbed from the entirety of Final Destination after 15 throws. If you are in the range to pick up the turnip you will be forced to pick it up if you attempt to use your tilts or jabs.
2: How Do You Do The Frozen Turnip Glitch?
To perform the frozen turnip glitch you must be playing on version 1.00 of melee and have peach hold a turnip or other item and attempt to use her parasol (Up-B). Have an opponent hit you on what would have been the first frame of your Up-B. If hit out of your parasol on this exact frame the turnip in your hand is now a frozen turnip and will have all the attributes mentioned above. Game & Watch can do this as well by holding an item and then being hit on what would have been the first frame of his down-tilt.

Doing this in a real match can be done by using a teammate in doubles to create a frozen turnip to make good use of for the rest of the match or it can be done in 1v1 by timing your parasol right before you are hit by a projectile or attack in a similar manner to powershielding. This glitch does not work on other versions of Melee but it is my understanding that if you have a 1.00 disc you are allowed to request to play tournament matches on this version. This has been done in the past by Samus players who request 1.00 in tournaments since 1.0 changes how her hitlag works when using screwattack and her missiles won't explode when they pass through turnips in 1.00. Whether or not you can request 1.00 is up to the TO of that event and their discretion. I imagine with how strong of a technique this is that there will be more discussion on the ability to request different versions at high level tournaments.

3: What Happens When You Do The Frozen Turnip Glitch With Mr. Saturn, Bob-omb, & Beamsword?

The frozen turnip glitch can be done on any item that can be picked up and thrown and they varying results.

All Turnip Faces (including stitch faces and dot eyes) behave the same. They have a hitbox that can hit one opponent before it is deactivated. The turnips won't disappear over time and will stay in place forever until regrabbed.

Mr Saturn leaves behind a hitbox and a hurtbox while floating mid air. The hitbox can only hit one opponent before it is deactivated. The hurtbox will stay even after the hitbox is deactivated and can trigger hitlag on your attacks or your opponents attacks on Mr Saturn. Mr Saturn will disappear if left floating too long. Mr Saturn will not struggle in your hands once frozen and will remain perfectly still in your hands. Here is a gfy demonstrating how the frozen Mr Saturn's hitboxs work. Since frozen items will stay in place when thrown into shields and repeatedly hit any shields in range every 17 frames you can throw a Mr Saturn into a shield and it will do a quick double hit instantly breaking a full shield. Here is a gfy showing what the repeated hits on shield looks like with a Fan and with Mr Saturn.

Bob-ombs when thrown will stay in place and will explode and hit the first person who touches it. After it explodes it leaves behind an invisible explosion that can hit each player once if they get too close to where the bob-omb first exploded. The Bob-Omb will not struggle once frozen and remain perfectly still in your hands. Here is a gfy showing what the frozen bob-omb looks like and its 2nd invisible hitbox it leaves behind.

Beamsword when thrown behaves like turnips and leaves behind a hitbox that will be deactivated after hitting one opponent. If the beamsword is picked back up after it is floating the beamsword will not expand to full sword length and will stay at a dagger length when characters hold it or swing with it. This does not appear to have any effect on the hitboxs and is solely a visual change. Here is a gfy showing the visual difference between a Peach using the regular beamsword attacks and the frozen beamsword attacks.

4: What Happens When You Do The Frozen Turnip Glitch On Other Items?
The Ray Gun, Super Scope, Star Rod, and Home Run Bat all leave behind a hitbox that can hit each opponent once and can hit shields repeatedly while the hitbox is active. These items will disappear if left frozen in place too long.

Lip's Stick leaves behind behind a hitbox that can hit each opponent or their shield once. The Lips Stick will disappear if left frozen in place too long.

The Fire Flower has a hitbox that can hit each opponent once. The Fire Flower will disappear if left frozen in place long enough. The Fire Flower if regrabbed and used will permanently shoot out fire while being held or when floating in place. This fire does not have a hitbox and is only an aesthetic effect. Here is a gfy showing the frozen fire flower works and what the constant flame effect looks like. This effect can also be seen in the Ice Climbers on Fire Glitch.

Fan behaves similarly to the Beamsword. Once frozen the fan will no longer fully expand during any of it's animation but will still use the regular hitboxs. The fan can hit each opponent once and can hit opponents shields repeatedly while the hitbox is active. The fan will disappear if left floating in place too long.

Green Shell has a hitbox and hurtbox and the hitbox can hit opponents multiple times. The Green Shell will disappear if left frozen in place too long unless you hit the Green Shell's hurtbox which will cause it to stay permanently on screen. If you have hit the hurtbox you can bounce off the top of the green shell once and this will cause you to be unable to pick up the Green Shell.

Red Shell has a hitbox and a hurtbox and the hitbox can hit the opponent multiple times. If you hit the hurtbox it will switch to an invincible hurtbox which you can't hit anymore. If the Red Shell hits an enemy the hurtbox will no longer be invincible which allows you to hit it again. If the hurtbox is hit repeatedly the Red Shell will disappear. You can't jump on the Red Shell.

The Flipper has a hitbox and a hurtbox. The hitbox can hit each opponent once and the hurtbox can be hit repeatedly. The flipper can't spin and will not disappear over time.

Freezie has a hitbox and a hurtbox. The hitbox will freeze any opponent who touches it. If the hurtbox is hit the Freezie will shatter.

Motion Sensor Bomb has a hitbox and a hurtbox. The motion sensor bomb will remain unactivated and can hit one opponent before deactivating. The hurtbox can be hit repeatedly without destroying the Motion Sensor Bomb. It will not disappear over time.

Screw Attack has a hitbox which if any opponent touches will force them to use the screw attack jump and enter specialfall afterwards as they fall back to the ground. The Screw Attack will disappear if left frozen in place too long.

Parasol can be frozen but not with Peach's Up-B. When Peach uses her Up-B while holding a parasol it actually replaces her normal parasol with the red and white parasol item. So you need to use Game & Watch's d-tilt to create a frozen parasol. The parasol has two hitboxs which can hit each opponent or their shield once. The parasol will disappear if left frozen in place too long. If you pick up the parasol after it has been frozen it will be fully expanded in your hand while you walk around or use your moves. It looks pretty cute.

Link and Young Link's bombs behave similarly to Bob-Ombs. They have a weak initial hitbox that once it hits an opponent will cause the bomb to explode and leave behind a 2nd invisible hitbox that can hit each player on the screen once causing them to be hit by the slightly stronger explosion of Link's bomb.

Egg/Capsule/Birdo Egg all have a hitbox which once it hits an opponent will break the capsule/egg and occasionally spawn an item.

Green Greens Apple has a hurtbox which can hit an opponent once before vanishing.

Electrode can be grabbed right before he explodes and has just enough time to trigger the glitch before it would explode. Once frozen Electrode returns to normal colors and won't explode in your hands. You can run around with Electrode in your hands as long as you want. If you throw him he will simply freeze in place with no hitboxs or hurtboxs and can't be regrabbed. Since using Peach's up-b returns an item to its normal state using parasol and landing will cause Electrode to explode. Here is a GFY of Electrode shenanigans

Glitched Mewtwo's Shadow Ball Item.
Once frozen the shadow ball will behave very oddly. If you throw it in the air it will freeze and be a slightly larger size and now anyone who throws it is unable to pick the shadow ball up again but is still somehow capable of throwing it without having it in hand. When you throw it the ball will shift a small amount the direction you are facing. Other players can pick up the item once and hold it but once they throw it they will also be permanently considered holding the item even when it is in the air. This 2nd player can also "throw" the shadow ball even though they don't appear to be holding it. In this state Peach can't pull turnips at all.

5: Black Holes Glitch With Frozen Turnips
The new frozen turnip/item glitch allows us to do some interesting new things related black holes. However to understand what we can do and how we can do it we need to first understand why the black hole glitch works in the first place.

You are probably aware that you won't get hit by the same attack twice in a row in Melee. You haven't ever been hit by Marth's f-smash or Falcon's knee twice in a row unless the first hit was a phantom hit. This is because when you are hit by part of an attack's hitbox you are added to a list of the last 12 things that attack hit. If you are on that list the attack won't be able to hit you again. If you were to somehow hit someone and then hit 12 or more things after they would no longer be on that list and could be hit again. Here is an example of this where Ness uses the yoyo glitch and attaches his dair hitbox to his body (spike jacket) and after hitting Ganondorf, hits 12 of the blocks on Mushroom Kingdom I which allows him to Ganondorf with the same move again.

This explains why the black hole glitch works because when you use the infinite super scopes to freeze 12+ turnips in the same location they are constantly hitting each other's hitboxes and refreshing their list of items they have hit. So if an opponents hurtbox touches those turnips hitboxes they will be stuck in hitlag as the turnip will be capable of hitting the opponent again after they hit 12 of the other turnips.

With the frozen turnip glitch we no longer need items enabled for super scopes to spawn or require using other characters like Fox and Falco or Ice Climbers. We only need Peach to use the frozen turnip glitch to put 12 or more frozen turnips glitch in the same location. This means it is incredibly difficult but is technically possible to trigger a black hole glitch in a singles tournament match. Slightly more probable is the ability to trigger this in doubles by using your teammate to help you set up all the frozen turnip glitches. I really don't think setting up a black hole glitch during a tournament match is a viable strategy but it would still be interesting to see a doubles team show off some black hole glitches during doubles pools. Potentially some Peach doubles partners could magnify the power of the black hole or find some utility from the glitch using their attacks.

6: History & Discovery Of The Frozen Turnip Glitch
This glitch has been reported about from as far back as 2002 and has had several efforts to solve the glitch throughout the years. There were multiple smashboard posts (1, 2) which included recorded videos of the glitch occurring and users theory-crafting what may have caused the glitch and attempts to reproduce it. There was a more recent r/ssbm post informing users about the glitch in a hope that some new attention would potentially have this glitch finally be solved. Even with 7 recorded videos of this glitch to study the glitch wasn't ever solved.

I had a lot of crazy theories that I felt confident were the correct solution to the frozen turnip glitch but after spending more time investigating each of them they all ended up being incorrect. I had reviewed and analyzed the videos trying to find any possible similarity and writing notes about any potential relevant information. After a week or two I ran out of new similarities between the videos to explore or any theories on what caused the glitch or its requirements. So since I had no ideas left to test or any clue how to proceed I decided I would try and get the game to solve the glitch for me.

I used Melee's debug menu to access maps and settings not normally available and put 4 CPU's in a map where they couldn't die. I set the overall damage ratio to .10 and each CPU's offense to .10 and their defense to 3.00 which are all the maximum allowed. This way even when the CPU's reach 999% their attacks won't send them too far. I scaled down the CPU's to half size and put them on the escape from Brinstar level from adventure mode where you climb to the top of the level out of a cave before the place explodes. Since there are walls and a floor on the map they can't die off the side and since their knockback and size is reduced they could never make it upwards out of the first section of the map. Then I set 2 of the CPU's to a special cpu type used in event match 3 "bomb-fest" where Link spams down-b to frequently pull out and use his bombs during the match. I set it to time mode with no time limit which meant I now had an endless match with 4 Peach's who weren't able to die to constantly fight each other with 2 of them frequently pull and using turnips.

So I started the game set the emulator to run at double speed and went to bed while the CPU's constantly fought at the bottom of the cave. When I woke up and checked the game I saw 4 frozen turnips on the screen. So I spent the next few days monitoring different matches with two cpu's and would create a save state every 10 minutes so that if I ever saw a frozen turnip was created I could reload the most recent save state so that I could watch the glitch occur over and over. After 2 days I had 4 different games each with slightly different settings so that I could rule out different factors being the cause of the glitch. With debug mode I could see all sorts of new details about the match as the glitch occurred and I looked for new similarities and started writing down the frame data for key points of the different matches hoping to find some sort of similarity between the matches. Despite all the new information and frame data I still couldn't find any strong connections between the matches. Since I had the cpus play the match I thought that I didn't have control over the game and could only observe what happened. However I forgot that you can apply super mushrooms and poison mushrooms through debug menu which meant I could freeze the cpu's in the growing animations of the mushrooms at different times which would alter how the game would play out. What I discovered was that in all 4 games there were times shortly before a Peach throws a frozen turnip where they are hit by the other cpu attack and if I apply the super mushroom to the non-peach cpu they will be forced to grow and can't throw out an attack. When this happened the Peach would always use their parasol on the frame where they would have gotten hit.

I went to test it myself and realized that setting up the glitch is as simple as hitting Peach out of an attempt to Up-B on the first frame so that the input is registered but the parasol never comes out. So after all these years it was a incredibly simple solution but since it was impossible to see the parasol ever being used in the videos no one could ever solve it from watching the videos.

Ending Note
If you have any questions about the glitch after reading the whole post you can leave a comment and I'd be glad to answer them. I am not trying to convince Peach players to use this tech or promoting the tech with this post I just wanted to share my discovery with the smash community.

However feel free to discuss things like the viability of the tech, interesting or creative applications for the tech, or easy setups for the glitch in singles and doubles. I may comment my own thoughts on these things but my opinion isn't anymore important because I found out how to do the glitch. I also don't main Peach so my advice is probably fr
audulent.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
Congratulations on your discovery, the Peach community has had many people try to solve this in the past but the method you used to solve it was done like a true scientist, well done.

Vesne

Smash Cadet
Dr Peepee said:
"dude if this gets found out ill truly think we can figure out anything" -r/ssbm comment
Now that we solved this I think the smash communities next step should be solving world hunger. Should be an easy fix probably just requires a frame perfect trick or two.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
Enable Frozen Item Glitch (1.02) [Achilles]
0426B748 4D820020
0426B758 4E800020

Multiple people contacted me over the past day, requesting this code for SSBM v1.02 so that the recently understood mechanic can be implemented in the 20XX Hack Pack and Dan Salvato's 20XXTE.

I'm not going to attempt to completely explain the glitch from a coding perspective because there are still a few unknowns involved and, frankly, I don't feel like spending additional time to try and fully understand everything. But the general gist is as follows:

(Testing done with Peach)
Perform Up+B parasol. On the first frame of the action state, a function is executed that checks if Peach is holding an item. If so, Flag A is set in that item's entity structure data. Flag A tells the game to remove Flag A and then enable Flag B and Flag C, within a more-general "every frame per item on screen" function. Flag B shares the same memory offset as Flag A and controls not reverting the item back to unfrozen mode upon hitting a character. Flag C controls freezing the item in place and skipping checks for coordinate changes and other timers. If all goes as planned, at the end of Up+B frame 1, Flags B and C are active.

If you are hit during the Up+B parasol action state or land on the ground (and were holding an item before performing Up+B), a function checks for Flag B's presence. If it is active, then Flag B is removed, which eventually removes Flag C as well, and the item returns to it's vanilla state.

The Bug
Even if you are being hit on frame 1 of Up+B, the function that sets Flag A still gets executed. Flag A is set and then the game realizes you are being hit before Flag A is removed and Flag B and C get activated. So the game checks for Flag B's presence to return the item to it's vanilla state, which does not exist, meaning the function does nothing and Flag A still remains. The parasol is removed, and then the "general item function" mentioned above removes Flag A and enables Flag B and C which cause the freeze glitch.

The v1.01, v1.02 Fix
The function that checks for Flag B's presence now checks for Flag B and Flag A and removes either if present.
more details courtesy of Achilles ( original thread http://smashboards.com/threads/frozen-turnip-glitch-in-v1-02.424884/#post-20535301 )

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
1) Amazing work. I can see this being a big deal in the future peach meta game. I'm definitely going to get 1.00 and learn this. The best thing is it's hard to ban :3 And easy to do. That's really the best thing.
2) The scientific approach is so admirable. It's really a testament to how research about the game should be done. The mushroom idea was super smart too.
3) The scientific nature of the post makes me feel weird when sleepyk is not cited as a source for the black hole glitch :p Here is his post about it. https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/2tb366/can_someone_explain_the_black_hole_glitch_video/
4) I think the only real hint about this was the video in which Usurper King Zant deactivates the glitch using an up b. UKZ believed that the glitch was actuvited by going out side the screen boundaries, but the up b was the real reason. http://youtu.be/3rqvVWKNnCY It's also cool going back watching the video and realizing he was trying to up b out of shield :3
5) Fantastic job! Now for a proper understanding of RNG :p

Also! A question! Do you know how the weird states of the bomb-omb operate in this glitch? I don't have 1.00 to test it. Here's the thread I'm talking about. http://smashboards.com/threads/bob-omb-minutiae.388104/ It would be cool if the explosion could make the glitch self activated. Very wishful thinking ^ _ ^

Thank you!

Last edited:

Vesne

Smash Cadet
I have been looking into ways to making setting up the frozen turnip glitch easier and have some new information to share that should help people pull this off in a real match. I will be editing this is into the OP but will post it here as well so anyone coming back to the thread will see the new information.

Setting up the frozen turnip glitch can be made much easier by using two techniques:
  1. Hurtbox Extensions
  2. Up-B Out of Shield
@schmooblidon originally mentioned the use of hurtbox extensions in his comment to the the r/ssbm thread on the frozen turnip glitch. By crouching under a hitbox like an aerial or projectile you can wait until the hitbox is directly above you and then input the up-b which will instantly extend your hurtbox upwards during the 1st frame of the attack and be hit immediately by the attack above you. Here is an example GFY of Peach using the upwards hurtbox extension when starting an Up-B out of a crouch to get instantly hit by a pill and Fox's nair and trigger the frozen turnip glitch. This upwards extension of the hurtbox is useful because if you are trying to set up the frozen turnip glitch off of Fox's nair it would normally be a 1 frame window that is in your opponents control. Now by using the upwards hurtbox extension of up-b out of crouch we can increase the frame window on the Up-B against Fox's nair to as much as 7 frames. On any frame where Fox's nair is not currently hitting you but in position to hit you if you Up-B you can activate the frozen turnip glitch by using an Up-B. Here is a GFY showing the increased frame window against Fox's nair by activating on frame 8 and frame 13 of his nair.

Crouching isn't the only way to extend your hurtbox. Any state that Peach can Up-B out of will change her hurtbox positioning and may be useful in different situations to trigger the frozen turnip glitch. Many of these changes in hurtbox position are very subtle and don't extend her hurtbox significantly in any direction. I have compiled gifs of every state I could think of that Peach could up-b out of and have them separated into three different groups: Significant/Useful Hurtbox Extensions, Minimal/Potentially Useful Hurtbox Extensions, and Negligible/Useless Hurtbox Extensions. Expand each group for direct links to gifs showing the changes in hurtbox positioning for each of these states. If a state says (Frame Perfect) beside it that means that the Up-B timing must be frame perfect to Up-B with that hurtbox positioning otherwise Peach will return to a neutral position the next frame.

It is also possible to use hurtbox extensions after being hit by a move after he hitstun wears off as you remain in a knockback state or in tumble. Here is GFY showing various Up-B timings out of tumble, here is GFY showing two different timings of Up-B out of Fox's up-throw (DamageFlyTop), and lastly here is a GFY of Peach SDI-ing shine away and using Up-B on the earliest frame possible. Hopefully Peach players can use theses gifs on hurtbox extensions to theory craft some new setups to trigger the frozen turnip glitch in different matchups.

The 2nd technique that can be used to help setup the frozen turnip glitch is the use of Up-B out of shield. To Up-B out of shield Peach only needs 1 actionable frame out of shieldstun to enter jumpsquat and then input the Up-B and get hit on the next frame. This means that Peach can use a well timed Up-B out of shield to activate the frozen turnip glitch in every situations Fox has time to shine out of shield and more! Fox's shine out of shield is 2 frames slower requiring a total of 3 actionable frames of shieldstun and that is still fast enough to get out of the majority of shield pressure. The Up-B won't save you from the shield pressure but will let you get a frozen turnip in the process. You can also use Peach's lower hurtbox positioning during her jumpsquat to use a hurtbox extended Up-B out of shield. Peach has a total of 5 jumpsquat frames where she can wait and duck below your opponent's attack and instantly Up-B into the hitbox when it is directly above you and trigger the frozen turnip glitch.

Also! A question! Do you know how the weird states of the bomb-omb operate in this glitch? I don't have 1.00 to test it. Here's the thread I'm talking about. http://smashboards.com/threads/bob-omb-minutiae.388104/ It would be cool if the explosion could make the glitch self activated. Very wishful thinking ^ _ ^

Thank you!
I actually was already aware of that thread and the odd interactions Peach can have with her bob-omb if she drops it on a platform or the side of the stage. When I was testing how the frozen turnip glitch interacted with all the different items I did test how it interacted with those bob-omb glitches but as far as I could tell it behaved exactly the same as a normal frozen bob-ombs. You could definitely use the bob-ombs explosion to setup a frozen turnip but with the required setup and the damage and knockback you would take makes it a questionable decision. If you were able to wait and use the bob-omb explosions as a setup after having pulled a stitch it would be worthwhile but you will already be holding a bob-omb so that isn't possible.

Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad to be able to help out the Peach boards and players.

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
This post is sooooo good. I am getting 1.00 on Saturday.

KoyalKitKat

Smash Cadet
So.... Can we start theorizing how we will be using this? How will peach fare with the tier list? All exciting stuff to come

Top Bottom