• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frostbite feat. HugS, Duck, Prince Abu, Fatality, Zinoto, Rayquaza, Ryuga, JJRockets and More!

Who will win the fight: HugS or Duck?

• HugS

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Duck

Votes: 43 66.2%

• Total voters
The second tournament in the Midwest Circuit, Frostbite, will be taking place in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This event is sure to show why the Midwest is 'Midbest', with some of its top players in both Melee and Smash 4 set to attend. Come meet the top threats attending and discover the storylines heading into Frostbite!

Samus Duel

This tournament will be particularly interesting as it has two of the best Samus players in Melee: Duck and HugS. While HugS is ranked 20th on the MeleeItOnMe rankings, slightly above Duck's 22nd, recent results could put this into question. At The Big House 5, Dreamhack Winter 2015, and Genesis 3, Duck was able to outplace HugS. The last time we saw them face off, however, was at EVO 2015, where HugS took the higher placement. And the last time they played in Michigan was over a year ago at Sweet Prologue, where HugS ended up taking the win. Which Samus will reign supreme?

Melee's Contenders

We have already mentioned Duck, but the Michigan Power Ranked players coming to this event run deep. With KJH, Prince Abu, Beach, Anther, Juggleguy, tm, and Paper set to attend, only two of Michigan's top 10 will not be there to compete. Plus, a few previously power ranked names like Quang and Yoyo are currently registered. Not to mention Drephen is making his way to the event!

:sheikmelee::sheikmelee::sheikmelee::sheikmelee::samusmelee::samusmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee::jigglypuffmelee::ganondorfmelee::marthmelee::falconmelee::icsmelee::luigimelee::pikachumelee:
Character Spread For Top Names Attending

The tournament will certainly be very interesting, with quite a bit of character variety among the top names attending. There are a noticeably high number of Sheiks in attendance, so those weak to chaingrabs will need to beware. The number of 'floaty' characters is also surprisingly high, which may make for combo troubles for several players.

Power Ranked

If the talent pool in Melee has people excited, the number of power ranked players entering the event in Smash 4 is staggering. Over 15% of the players entering are listed on their respective Power Rankings, and there are still a few hidden bosses waiting in the wings. Let's break them down in ranked order:
  • Michigan: Zinoto, Regralht, SETHsational, Ksev, smasher1001, TECHnology, Mikey Lenetia, Stewy
  • Ohio: Katakiri, Absol, TekNo, Sai, Pops, Karinole, Crazycolorz5, H-Man, Xane
  • Illinois (Chicago): Dan, JJRockets, Demitus NiTe, Ned, BoScotty, Naoto
  • Georgia: Fatality
  • Indiana: Krow, Sofa King, Xiivi
  • Hidden Bosses: Rayquaza, Ryuga, Yoshi Kirishima

:4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::4sheik::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:
:4mario::4mario::4mario::4metaknight::4metaknight::4metaknight::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon:
:4ryu::4ryu::4fox::4fox::4peach::4peach::4rob::4rob::4dk::4dk::4palutena::4palutena:
:4zss::4sonic::4cloud::4yoshi::4luigi::4olimar::4myfriends::4feroy::4falco::4littlemac::4samus::4ganondorf:
?:4bayonetta:/:4corrin:?
Character Spread For Top Names Attending

The character spread shown above ranks the characters by popularity, then by placement on the Official Smash 4 Tier List. As expected, the most popular characters tend to be the top tiers, but the list does show some curious anomalies. Two Palutena players will be attending, and with Cloud's recent surge of popularity, only a single top Cloud player is attending. Plus, other top characters like Zero Suit Samus, Sonic, and Yoshi only have one person using them. There is also the possibility of the unknown: many have been starting to pick up both Bayonetta and Corrin since their release as the final Smash DLC, so there is always the possibility of some breaking out in tournament.

Tune In!

With such an exciting event on the horizon, it would be a shame not to tune in! The Melee stream will be provided by Events2Compete, while the Smash 4 stream will be provided by GooshiGaming. A preliminary schedule has been provided below. More information is available on Frostbite's Smashboards Event Post. Excited to see the competition taking place this weekend? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future event previews!

Schedule (Preliminary)
• 10:00am - Doors Open, Check-in begins
• 11:30am - Melee Doubles and Smash 4 Doubles Begins
• 02:30pm - Melee Singles Pools Wave A and Smash 4 Singles Pools Wave A Begins
• 04:30pm - Melee Singles Pools Wave B and Smash 4 Singles Pools Wave B Begins
• 07:00pm - Melee Singles Top 32 and Smash 4 Singles Top 64
• 11:30pm - Event Ends

Comments

My mind thinks Duck will win, but my heart wants HugS to win.
On Smash 4, I actually don't know the majority of the regional threats, so it sounds fun to see what they have to offer :D

My mind thinks Duck will win, but my heart wants HugS to win.
On Smash 4, I actually don't know the majority of the regional threats, so it sounds fun to see what they have to offer :D
I think Zinoto has beaten Ally before, and Rayquaza got top 8 at TBH5. I think it will be a fun event to watch :)

Hugo is terrible at the Samus ditto compared to Duck. My money's on Duck although Hugo is the better Samus player in general. Not by much though. Duck's been making some serious strides.

Last edited:
I'm not in nearly as good of a shape as I used to but thanks for having faith in me I guess, haha! I'll go in to have fun and see what I can do.

You could maybe add Lucina and Shulk to that list, as I consider myself to main all 3 now (I use them for certain MUs).

Also yea you included DKWill in the character representation but I think you forgot to list DKWill as a player X)
And Ally

Last edited:
User was warned for this post
<<NEW TECH DISCOVERED>> In ssf2, while playing as Ichigo, head to the training mode on a map with still platforms (Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 3, etc.). Once training if you go to one of these platforms, run forwards and when you are just about to fall perform a Fair. If executed correctly, Ichigo should side on the platform. This is because his Fair gives a little bit of a Boost forward when he performs it.

EDIT: This works on the main platforms as well.

Top Bottom