• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From Casual to Pro.

Joboman

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry if there's a post like this, I scanned the whole forum and I couldn't find one.

Lately I've been playing SSBB a bit more, and I really like the way Snake plays out, so I decided that I would work at getting competitive. My question is: Where do I start? I already know all the basics of SSBB, am a mediocre Bad player, and am working pretty hard but I can only beat Lvl 8's like 50% of the time, and I was wondering if there was a guide that could help me out. Any Snake tactics, useful combos, abbreviations, or just good things to know are welcome!

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
straight up, if you're losing to lvsl 8's as snake then you havent learned the basics at all. its called ftilt. By the way if you use the search function you would find many guides to playing snake competitively. Check them out and i wish you the best.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
read the guide

post questions in the Q&A

computers are ******** and don't help you get better at all

good luck

Joboman

Smash Rookie
straight up, if you're losing to lvsl 8's as snake then you havent learned the basics at all. its called ftilt. By the way if you use the search function you would find many guides to playing snake competitively. Check them out and i wish you the best.
Whats Ftilt?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Forward tilt... you tilt the control stick forward and press A.

Don't confuse this with a smash attack though.

Underload

Lazy
I'll relate my points to building a house.

The very first thing that has to be done after finding where you want to build your house is getting a good foundation for construction. For Smash, this comes in the form of universal techniques and overall intangibles. Specifically, you need to know what directional influence (DI) is and how to use it on a limited level, common situations that you think you'll be seeing often, knowledge of the buffering system (plus how to utilize it), and most importantly, simply knowing your way around a controller (ex.: Ftilt and utilt on command.) This is very general, but it's a start.

Then comes the framing. Doesn't look to pretty, but it's the skeleton that'll stay strong and be able to support things branching off of it. This step should be the step that you start getting some individuality in your play. (because not every house looks the same!) Learn how to mortarslide, simple b-reverse and wavebounce your C4 and grenades, JC grenade throw, and pivot grab. I can explain how to do each individual tech later, if you want.

This third step doesn't really translate into building a house, although I guess you could compare it to putting on siding and a roof to your frame. Those are the two things that are probably the most necessary parts of a house. ANYWAY. Gain experience and actively utilize everything you've learned so far. Through constant play (against other people, I'd hope), you'll see that DI, certain ATs, and buffering will start to become second nature to you. That's definitely good. And, through this constant play, you'll polish your overall game and gain very important experience with your character.

Final step is decorating the interior. This part is pretty far down the line. Expand your knowledge of the game, utilize newly discovered techs, become active on your character's board, etc etc.

I rambled a lot, but you should get some good info out of this.

Check the threads at the General/Data information thread. I know some threads in there are outdated bbut maybe they can help

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I suggest watching some vids of pro Snakes playing so you can get an idea of how to play him. I suggest watching Ally and Ultimate Razer vids, if you want links PM me.

SNk.

Smash Rookie
after the DI you should learn, to Perfect shield ^^
but that comes with the time anyway

solecalibur

Smash Master
Its not a good idea to train vs CPU's as well I'd get a friend for something like that because it doesn't help you play other then against well CPU's and human players can think more and cant air dodge every single freaken thing they throw at you

SNk.

Smash Rookie
Its not a good idea to train vs CPU's as well I'd get a friend for something like that because it doesn't help you play other then against well CPU's and human players can think more and cant air dodge every single freaken thing they throw at you
Butc CPU's are freaking awesome! they sometimes do something that i would'nt except.
Just like Wall teching my Bair Stagespike :laugh:..
and they have better reactions on shielding and that stuff..
so its 50/50

pros: nice reactions on shielding (PS)
cons: no AT's and that stuff..
most times they are really stupid d|u,u|b

Panix

Smash Ace
Computer luigi three stocked me

no johns.

On topic :

if you want to get good fast. watch video's of ally, razer, dsf, candy and mimic them.

If you want to be the best. play wifi

If you want to be taken seriously, go to local tournements play 100's of friendlys and try to understand the basic concept of the game. rinse and repeat this step over and over.

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Computer luigi three stocked me

no johns.

On topic :

if you want to get good fast. watch video's of ally, razer, dsf, candy and mimic them.

If you want to be the best. play wifi

If you want to be taken seriously, go to local tournements play 100's of friendlys and try to understand the basic concept of the game. rinse and repeat this step over and over.
i believe this sums it up

darksage1331

Smash Cadet
Fighting CPU's Can provide great practice, Ever tried fighting 3 lvl 9's? It's great practice, But if your losing to lvl 8's then your better off fighting a lower lvl CPU and slowly going up on the CPU's difficulty. When you are able to take on a lvl 9 CPU with no problems try taking on 2, Doing this will make you more agile which will help when fighting only one person. And finally when your able to kill 2 lvl 9's try fighting 3. Now fighting 3 is probably the best practice for advanced brawlers(If you dont happen to have Wi-fi) and 3 lvl 9 CPU's can be a royal pain if you cant even kill 2.

And yes brawling with friends can provide good practice....Unless they don't know what their doing. If you fight people better than you, you will learn nothing. So try fighting people that are at your skill lvl, and be sure to save as many replays as you can, that way you can watch them and find flaws in your actions so that maybe you can avoid doing them again.

Snake overall is one of the best characters, Fairly easy to use but difficult to start off with. When you get more experience try some of the advanced snake techs, I believe theres a thread somewhere on here that tells you about them.

-Ran

Smash Master
Fighting Cpus is a horrible idea. It teaches you to approach poorly, and to not play defensive.

Midnight Shadows

Smash Cadet
I actually believe fighting level 9 cpus (specifically Sonic and Meta Knight) help better your reaction time because they're so fast and cpus are hard to predict due to their stupidity. It's also not a bad idea to practice combos on them; but most anything you can pull off on a cpu will never work on a real human opponent that knows what they're doing.

Top Bottom