• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
For one thing, the children always have better potential than the original generation, so Chrom will fall a bit behind at one point or another anyways. Neither of them should ever be liabilities, though, so you either aren't leveling them enough or the RNG just screwed them over.

Use stat-up items if you need to; otherwise, just baby them a bit to see of their growths get any better.
Thanks for the advice. I checked over their levels and for some reason they're both 6-7 levels behind the rest of my team. I don't use the children actually, with the exception of Lucina. I actually found them to be quite under-leveled and I don't feel like grinding more than I have to. I'll just grin with Risen Hordes and Paralogues. I honestly don't know how they fell so far behind. Also, how would the RNG screw them over? Don;t characters have fixed growth rates?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
They have (mostly, they change very slightly based on the class they are in) fixed growth rates. However its still a RNG for each individual stat with each individual level up. The growth rate just determines the range of numbers the RNG can get that equals a +1.

Also, for crying out loud use the kids already, they're vastly superior with a much wider selection of classes, better stat caps, and more skills to choose from.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
They have (mostly, they change very slightly based on the class they are in) fixed growth rates. However its still a RNG for each individual stat with each individual level up. The growth rate just determines the range of numbers the RNG can get that equals a +1.

Also, for crying out loud use the kids already, they're vastly superior with a much wider selection of classes, better stat caps, and more skills to choose from.
I'm already doing Normal/Casual, so I don't want to take to much challenge out of the game. More importantly, I'm already on the 25 Chapter. I would rather finish the game than spend 2-3 days recruiting & grinding all the children.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
The children also generally speaking have better supports convos (seriously, some of those supports like Male!Morgan and Nah, or Brady and Thajra's daughter...), and some of the more interesting maps.

Its also adding challenge trying to use them without grinding. And you're on casual so its not like you lose them for good. They're a big appeal of the game and it would be a shame to skip out on them.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
The children also generally speaking have better supports convos (seriously, some of those supports like Male!Morgan and Nah, or Brady and Thajra's daughter...), and some of the more interesting maps.

Its also adding challenge trying to use them without grinding. And you're on casual so its not like you lose them for good. They're a big appeal of the game and it would be a shame to skip out on them.
Alright then. I already have Owain and Inigo, so I'll go recruit some more. I should be able to grind Chrom and Lucina alongside recruitment.

So after I finish Awakening, what other Fire Emblem game should I play? I'm planning on playing the Tellius arc after.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
All of the other ones in NA outside of Shadow Dragon. Never play Shadow Dragon.

I'd say FE8 next, its halfway between Awakening and normal Fire Emblem. After that FE9/10, and then FE7. FE7 needs two playthroughs basically, one for Eliwood and Hector each. Lyn mode is the tutorial, so you only have to play it once.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
All of the other ones in NA outside of Shadow Dragon. Never play Shadow Dragon.

I'd say FE8 next, its halfway between Awakening and normal Fire Emblem. After that FE9/10, and then FE7. FE7 needs two playthroughs basically, one for Eliwood and Hector each. Lyn mode is the tutorial, so you only have to play it once.
What's wrong with Shadow Dragon? FE 8 is GBA, so I might not be able, but I'll try. Thanks for the tips.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Its boring

Really, really, really boring. Its a rather faithful remake of FE1. Only adding in a prologue tutorial and reclassing. No supports, no real convos with characters at all outside of their recruitment one, all maps have the same objective.

Also, just emulate FE8 and FE7.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Its boring

Really, really, really boring. Its a rather faithful remake of FE1. Only adding in a prologue tutorial and reclassing. No supports, no real convos with characters at all outside of their recruitment one, all maps have the same objective.

Also, just emulate FE8 and FE7.
Okay. I'd try to avoid emulating, but I can't afford FE 7-9, so I may. What are some good emulators?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No$GBA, OpenEmu are both great options. OpenEmu in particular, it has like 12 different emulators built into it ranging from DS down.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I don't have a Wii U. Is OpenEmu safe? Also, how hard are the other FE games compared to FE: Awakening?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
OpenEmu has been perfectly safe for me, but I have a Mac. Very, very rare for something that works for me to be not safe.

In terms of ranking them from easy to hard (in that order, assuming normal mode only): Awakening >> FE8 > FE9 >> FE10 >>> FE7

Shadow Dragon is hard to rank. Too boring for me to care. Awakening's Pair Up and Second Seal mechanics make the game mad easy. FE8 (Sacred Stones) is the only other FE in NA with random encounters on a map, and it has the Tower and Ruins for grinding, as well as the regular enemies all being fairly weak. You also get Seth in that game. Think Frederick, but with him having some of the if not the best growth rates in the game.

You should be aware that in all of the other FEs, you have limited supports. Only 5 total, and the supports are from C to A, with a rather small pool to support with. FE10 is the exception with only one active support chain per character at a time, but it can be anyone.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My recollection of FE7 is even on the hard modes, the enemies in FE7 relatively speaking are fairly weak compared to other FE games. Outside of the final level, you can basically power through the game with Marcus even factoring his subpar speed growth rates, especially factoring his good weapon levels and defensive supports. Similarly, units like Dorcas and Oswin are pretty powerful in this game in spite of being slow.

The prepromotes in FE7 aren't as godlike as in later FEs, but they're pretty safe bets in that game overall against the relatively weak common enemies.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
OpenEmu has been perfectly safe for me, but I have a Mac. Very, very rare for something that works for me to be not safe.

In terms of ranking them from easy to hard (in that order, assuming normal mode only): Awakening >> FE8 > FE9 >> FE10 >>> FE7

Shadow Dragon is hard to rank. Too boring for me to care. Awakening's Pair Up and Second Seal mechanics make the game mad easy. FE8 (Sacred Stones) is the only other FE in NA with random encounters on a map, and it has the Tower and Ruins for grinding, as well as the regular enemies all being fairly weak. You also get Seth in that game. Think Frederick, but with him having some of the if not the best growth rates in the game.

You should be aware that in all of the other FEs, you have limited supports. Only 5 total, and the supports are from C to A, with a rather small pool to support with. FE10 is the exception with only one active support chain per character at a time, but it can be anyone.
I had a little bit of trouble usterstanding that chart, but from what I understand Awakening is the easiest with FE being the Hardest, right? I only used the second seal twice, both times for my avatar. I would've done it once but I wanted to have Astra, so I changed to a Swordmaster then to Hero.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I wouldn't rule out Shadow Dragon entirely. Give it a shot along with the rest of the classics after playing all the games from 6 or 7 onwards. Always nice to see the series' roots.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
My recollection of FE7 is even on the hard modes, the enemies in FE7 relatively speaking are fairly weak compared to other FE games. Outside of the final level, you can basically power through the game with Marcus even factoring his subpar speed growth rates, especially factoring his good weapon levels and defensive supports. Similarly, units like Dorcas and Oswin are pretty powerful in this game in spite of being slow.

The prepromotes in FE7 aren't as godlike as in later FEs, but they're pretty safe bets in that game overall against the relatively weak common enemies.
FE8's monsters rarely have any relevant stats outside of HP unless your at high levels in the tower/ruins. The eyeballs have magic and the dogs have speed I guess, but outside of that most monsters' stats are pretty "bleh". The soldiers generally have crappier stats than FE7 as well, if slightly. From what I remember reading it was basically a case of "Suddenly a whole new fanbase for FE thanks to FE7 launching in NA, some of them are finding it difficult, tone it down a tad." And then Seth just puts Marcus to shame.

And uh, not sure where Dorcas came from on your list there. He's considered low tier unit wise. Marcus is considered top mainly for weakening enemies in the first batch of chapters/getting the money in the first gaiden chapter, but is somebody to drop fairly quickly after that as his stats won't hold out with bad growths all around. Probably won't be using him still by the time you get Ninian, you have better choices by then. The only "good" pre-promotes I can think of are Harken and Geitz (or was it Geese? I can't remember his name...). The other ones are mainly just servicable but not great. Harken is competing easily with Raven, and the other one is a pretty good option considering Dorcas and Bartre are both pretty meh. Oswin has "win" in his name for a reason.

FE9 is fairly easy. Ike solos or Ike/Titania runs are pretty easy (and fun!) outside of the first and second defend maps. Playing normally its still easy.

FE10 I absolutely adore for forcing you to use more characters than you normally would in a FE game with its Part X storyline style. It also has the best map variety, but also has a few tougher chapters, mainly with the Dawn Brigade. Part 2's last chapter would be hard if it wasn't for the fact Haar exists and can tank the left side of the map all by himself provided you're careful with the handful of mages that show up there.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Lol Haar was stupid good until Endgame-3. The fact that Wyvern riders didn't have bow weaknesses in FE10 pretty much cemented that.

Zihark and Nolan supporting each other ultimately breaks the Part III Dawn Brigade chapters though, even on Hard mode. They're both by far the best units on that squad and they both have Earth supports, it's almost unfair how much more simple those fights get because of that.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
I wouldn't rule out Shadow Dragon entirely. Give it a shot along with the rest of the classics after playing all the games from 6 or 7 onwards. Always nice to see the series' roots.
I don't think Shadow Dragon is quite as bad as others, but it should be VERY low on the list of FE titles to play. Go through 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 first.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Lol Haar was stupid good until Endgame-3. The fact that Wyvern riders didn't have bow weaknesses in FE10 pretty much cemented that.

Zihark and Nolan supporting each other ultimately breaks the Part III Dawn Brigade chapters though, even on Hard mode. They're both by far the best units on that squad and they both have Earth supports, it's almost unfair how much more simple those fights get because of that.
Why use Zihark when I could use Volug, and then in Part 3 have Volug take off Half-shift, equip Beastkiller, and have him kickbox laguz to death all day in the river map?

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I don't think Shadow Dragon is quite as bad as others, but it should be VERY low on the list of FE titles to play. Go through 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 first.
Oh I agree, I just don't think it's right to rule it out entirely. Hell, one might want to hit up Genealogy and Thracia 776 first when trying the classics.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
And uh, not sure where Dorcas came from on your list there. He's considered low tier unit wise. Marcus is considered top mainly for weakening enemies in the first batch of chapters/getting the money in the first gaiden chapter, but is somebody to drop fairly quickly after that as his stats won't hold out with bad growths all around. Probably won't be using him still by the time you get Ninian, you have better choices by then. The only "good" pre-promotes I can think of are Harken and Geitz (or was it Geese? I can't remember his name...). The other ones are mainly just servicable but not great. Harken is competing easily with Raven, and the other one is a pretty good option considering Dorcas and Bartre are both pretty meh. Oswin has "win" in his name for a reason.

FE9 is fairly easy. Ike solos or Ike/Titania runs are pretty easy (and fun!) outside of the first and second defend maps. Playing normally its still easy.

FE10 I absolutely adore for forcing you to use more characters than you normally would in a FE game with its Part X storyline style. It also has the best map variety, but also has a few tougher chapters, mainly with the Dawn Brigade. Part 2's last chapter would be hard if it wasn't for the fact Haar exists and can tank the left side of the map all by himself provided you're careful with the handful of mages that show up there.
Dorcas is strong in the earlygame and while his speed is low, he gets a lot of evade from his supports including Oswin and Geitz, which combined with his high HP makes him a durable unit. He's one of your more usable axe wielders aside from Hector and Marcus for most of the game.

His atk and hit are both massive. He two hits most lance enemies pretty easily, and is one of few units who is able to oneround generals easily. Most of the squishy sword and magic users he just straight up can kill in a single hit. Given his clear offensive advantages, and the fact a lot of things won't be killing him that easily due to his high HP and good evade from his supports, I'd say he's one of the more reliable, and thus practical units in FE7.

Marcus, Geitz, Harken, and Pent are all solid prepromotes, and the latter three are all definitely worth taking in the final chapter if preferred. But even then, I'd argue only Wallace and Karla are explicitly terrible, while the other prepromotes while not amazing are not exactly difficult to get away with especially on Normal mode. And then even if you got screwed by the final chapter, Athos mostly trivializes it anyway if you play it carefully.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So, should we start discussing MUs with other boards?

Obviously at this stage of the game's life we don't want to be attempting to go into detailed breakdowns. In most cases we ain't going to have many (if any) videos with high level players on both sides of the field. I think we can however at least get a feel for heavy disadvantage/disadvantage/slight disadvantage/neutral/slight advantage/advantage/heavy advantage. We can also have an outcome for both with and w/o customs.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY

Obviously at this stage of the game's life we don't want to be attempting to go into detailed breakdowns. In most cases we ain't going to have many (if any) videos with high level players on both sides of the field. I think we can however at least get a feel for heavy disadvantage/disadvantage/slight disadvantage/neutral/slight advantage/advantage/heavy advantage. We can also have an outcome for both with and w/o customs.
I don't own the game personally but I played in some tournament matches where customs were legal. Do you think customs will be legal everywhere? It makes understanding matchups so much more complicated since differences in custom sets can cause matchup dynamics to change, too. You could imagine the surprise that I had when I had to play a Mario who used the instant horizontal Fireball instead of the default, when I haven't even played more than 5x lol.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
They should be legal everywhere. The Custom Moveset Projectile gets rid of the excuses as to not using them.

But APEX is likely going to screw them over. Stubborn idiots don't realize the damage they're doing.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Has anyone seen any of the old Ike's like Rydle and what not?
Have not heard from him since the SSBB era, and Renegade now mains Little Mac. This one, for me, is probably the most memorable of Rydle's performances as Ike, even if it was against then low-tier CF. I'm sure he could still do some pretty amazing things if he also played SSB4 Ike. ^-^

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I don't own the game personally but I played in some tournament matches where customs were legal. Do you think customs will be legal everywhere? It makes understanding matchups so much more complicated since differences in custom sets can cause matchup dynamics to change, too. You could imagine the surprise that I had when I had to play a Mario who used the instant horizontal Fireball instead of the default, when I haven't even played more than 5x lol.
For the Wii U, I'd say no. The amount of time it takes to unlock all the customs is far to consuming for the TO, which is made even harder by the fact that every console has to have a all customs unlocked. 3DS is different story however, since all the systems belong to the players themselves, so they are responsible for their own customs. I think there will be both Custom and Non-custom tournaments for 3DS, while no customs for Wii U.

Mind you, I don't particularly like custom either.

They should be legal everywhere. The Custom Moveset Projectile gets rid of the excuses as to not using them.

But APEX is likely going to screw them over. Stubborn idiots don't realize the damage they're doing.
What is this? I've never heard of this before.

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
For the Wii U, I'd say no. The amount of time it takes to unlock all the customs is far to consuming for the TO, which is made even harder by the fact that every console has to have a all customs unlocked. 3DS is different story however, since all the systems belong to the players themselves, so they are responsible for their own customs. I think there will be both Custom and Non-custom tournaments for 3DS, while no customs for Wii U.

Mind you, I don't particularly like custom either.

What is this? I've never heard of this before.
If you have the 3DS version, you can transfer your customs over to the Wii U version even if the moves haven't been unlocked on the Wii U.

Still, I don't think TOs would really want to deal with that anyways.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
If you have the 3DS version, you can transfer your customs over to the Wii U version even if the moves haven't been unlocked on the Wii U.

Still, I don't think TOs would really want to deal with that anyways.
Even then, some people might not have a 3DS, and TO's may not want to deal with all the customs after.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't think any top players want customs legal.
Incorrect

Many have cited wanting them. And in a general poll about 80% of people wanted customs legal. Even with it being a voluntary poll, that is quite a resounding answer.

Those who don't want them need to either adapt or go play another game.

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
A few weeks ago I discovered that I like Ike xD I highly disliked him in Brawl but I decided to try him for a challenge I had to complete and caught myself cheering along with the crowd "we like Ike" xD!! He's officially my 4th/5th main in this installment ^-^ As a person who loves drawing, I just HAD to draw him right?! :D
zlCfzS1vr7ggxFcHa5.jpg
zlCfzS1vvXgG7GPYvv.jpg

I plan to draw him more and I'll post it here once I do! ^.^

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
Incorrect

Many have cited wanting them. And in a general poll about 80% of people wanted customs legal. Even with it being a voluntary poll, that is quite a resounding answer.

Those who don't want them need to either adapt or go play another game.
How many top players are in that 80%

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't know. If you wanna a) find that poll on this site and b) read through 100s and 100s of names and know what usernames match what top level players go ahead and be my guest.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I think we should test both customs and non-custom formats and see what the most popular.

So bless the lord I finally found a reasonable priced copy of both FE: PoR and FE: RD! Both are on ebay though and it may change, but I'm staying positive.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

Seriously, more thoughts on this?

Marth board has a pretty good set up, as do a few others.

Top Bottom