• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

critter17

Smash Cadet
NNID
critter17
3DS FC
3780-9491-8023
Yeah I got like 4 or 5 Aether spikes yesterday in various matches, I love it when you do it off stage, manage to catch the ledge and just watch them plummet. It's even better when they're trying to edge-guard you and you pull that on them.

On a side note, I've been getting gimped when I use quick-draw to get back on stage. For some reason, every once in a while, I hit someone with quick-draw and then am left in free-fall similar to Brawl. Like, I'm unable to act out of it and I don't understand why. Anyone else been facing this problem?
I'm pretty sure what happens is you go into free fall after side-B if you don't up-B or jump in time.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Changing characters.

Again. I'm still gonna play ike, just as I play a lot of other characters. He's still very good, but I need some practice sometime later.
Probably with ryo or someone. Sticking in here for more good ways to play.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Yeah I got like 4 or 5 Aether spikes yesterday in various matches, I love it when you do it off stage, manage to catch the ledge and just watch them plummet. It's even better when they're trying to edge-guard you and you pull that on them.

On a side note, I've been getting gimped when I use quick-draw to get back on stage. For some reason, every once in a while, I hit someone with quick-draw and then am left in free-fall similar to Brawl. Like, I'm unable to act out of it and I don't understand why. Anyone else been facing this problem?
Best part is that I did catch the ledge after. My opponent was so angry. His play style became so aggressive, so I read him and just spaced him with Ragnell.

I haven't faced this problem. Maybe patch update?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You know that feeling where you think you're pretty good at least but then you get positively rekt and you're not sure what to believe? My Shulk just went through that. My Ike put up a much better fight but still essentially got bent over. So tonight I have concluded two things:

1. For Glory is just making me a haughty nincompoop; it probably stopped greatly helping me improve at this game after my first several hours of playing it. I'm going to lay off it for a good while, making more efficient use of my time playing.

2. I need to play in tournaments or at the very least select my own opponents. My understanding of the current metagame still seems to be lacking and I haven't really had much diversity to work against because of how much time I've been playing FG.

I want to get better but I can't think of what more I should really do rather than compete in tournaments and play decently regarded players.

Last edited:

critter17

Smash Cadet
NNID
critter17
3DS FC
3780-9491-8023
You know that feeling where you think you're pretty good at least but then you get positively rekt and you're not sure what to believe? My Shulk just went through that. My Ike put up a much better fight but still essentially got bent over. So tonight I have concluded two things:

1. For Glory is just making me a haughty nincompoop; it probably stopped greatly helping me improve at this game after my first several hours of playing it. I'm going to lay off it for a good while, making more efficient use of my time playing.

2. I need to play in tournaments or at the very least select my own opponents. My understanding of the current metagame still seems to be lacking and I haven't really had much diversity to work against because of how much time I've been playing FG.

I want to get better but I can't think of what more I should really do rather than compete in tournaments and play decently regarded players.
I know what you mean. For Glory just doesn't cut it if we all want to get better. One thing I've been doing recently is playing and watching players on FOW's stream. I also get a few rounds against him myself. It helps to play so many other players that are actually more competitive than on For Glory.

Oh, and we'll be getting that Tournament feature that Mario Kart 8 has sometime. I hope that it comes out sometime in the next few months.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
You can say the same thing here. FOW is probably the only smasher I know that helps around other players on twitch, but I noticed tkbreezy using smash4bot for streaming. I'll probably play him.

FG is not really meant for improvements unless there's an actual player who knows better, but that's a needle in a haystack.
i just usually go there to show off

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Good Games San!

I had to have gone at least 0-20 vs you in dittos... sheesh that was brutal.. but a true eye opener!

Please if you have any critique of my style of play with Ike let me know @ san. san. so I can improve!

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Good Games San!

I had to have gone at least 0-20 vs you in dittos... sheesh that was brutal.. but a true eye opener!

Please if you have any critique of my style of play with Ike let me know @ san. san. so I can improve!
Good games! Your Ike was quite good. We were actually exchanging hits similarly to each other, but I was able to get more reward from single hits. This works for me, but trying to get the maximum reward (combos, setups, etc) from attacks and getting used to those situations are good. Mixing up recovery, even if risky, can also benefit later on when your opponent has to guess a little bit more to get the hit.

I tried to show a few things that are a little uncommon such as Ike's pummel DPS and higher % uthrow->fair later on in the matches. I need to get my head out of playing like Brawl when I start to get into the match. My Miis aren't up to par yet, but I'm trying to practice with them too :)

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Thank you! I didn't realize how much I failed to capitalize off of Ike until today. He can steal momentum so easily with the right punish!

I also had no idea how to fight your miis that was the first time I fought a mii actually haha. Gunner mii seems realllllllyyyyyy good...

disasterABDUL

Smash Ace
so,
I decided to come back to smash once wiiU came out and i'm trying to figure out if i should go with a different control set.
is everyone just using the same controls from brawl?

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
so,
I decided to come back to smash once wiiU came out and i'm trying to figure out if i should go with a different control set.
is everyone just using the same controls from brawl?
Pretty much, same ****, different console XD
Also, dun mind my random appearances, waiting for the meta to actually form round this joint before I heavily decide on competing with Ike or not. Elphelt waifu in GGXrd has been keeping me well....... occupied, till then. XD However, by the looks of things, that may be some time.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So I need some help with Ike:

Approaching: What are some approaching option with Ike? I use aerial attack to approach, but the opponent will read my attacks and shield->grab. I especially need more effective ways to approach from the ground.

Projectiles: What are good ways to beat projectiles? I play For Glory mostly, since I have no friends to fight for… so projectile users such as Falco or Sheik are a pain. I try using Nair approaches but again, shield->grab.

Eruption: I love this move, but I have trouble incorporating it or finding an opening to use it. I can practically use all of my other specials, but I can't find any use for Eruption. Any combos or optimal times to use it?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Approaching: Just space yourself and look for openings. Don't just rush in with aerials, but be aware of your range and pay attention to how your opponent is reacting to you in close quarters. Pivot f-tilt/f-tilt, jab, and d-tilt are good ground options. RAR b-air isn't so bad itself. Make the most of your grabs if you land them, you can get good rewards off of pretty much all of Ike's throws at low/mid percents. At higher percents I prefer to just throw them offstage if I don't think I can follow up off of a throw in any other direction (unless I'm facing Mac obviously) but you can do considerable damage having an opponent offstage/on the ledge if you play your cards right. For the most part I try to avoid challenging shields in this game with anything other than grabs.

Projectiles: Powershielding has always worked best for me. Some of your attacks (aerials included) can beat out certain projectiles, but I rarely find myself having to do that and it seems relatively less safe. Try to maintain your patience too. If they see that you know how to deal with projectiles well then that can affect their decision making, especially if you close gaps fast because of it.

Eruption: Best suited for ledgeguarding. Just keep in mind how long it'll take your opponent to make it back to the ledge and distance yourself so that the shockwave it sends out when it's charged decently can hit your opponent if they try to ledge roll. Other than that I just use it to style.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Approaching: Just space yourself and look for openings. Don't just rush in with aerials, but be aware of your range and pay attention to how your opponent is reacting to you in close quarters. Pivot f-tilt/f-tilt, jab, and d-tilt are good ground options. RAR b-air isn't so bad itself. Make the most of your grabs if you land them, you can get good rewards off of pretty much all of Ike's throws at low/mid percents. At higher percents I prefer to just throw them offstage if I don't think I can follow up off of a throw in any other direction (unless I'm facing Mac obviously) but you can do considerable damage having an opponent offstage/on the ledge if you play your cards right. For the most part I try to avoid challenging shields in this game with anything other than grabs.

Projectiles: Powershielding has always worked best for me. Some of your attacks (aerials included) can beat out certain projectiles, but I rarely find myself having to do that and it seems relatively less safe. Try to maintain your patience too. If they see that you know how to deal with projectiles well then that can affect their decision making, especially if you close gaps fast because of it.

Eruption: Best suited for ledgeguarding. Just keep in mind how long it'll take your opponent to make it back to the ledge and distance yourself so that the shockwave it sends out when it's charged decently can hit your opponent if they try to ledge roll. Other than that I just use it to style.
Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll get a higher win percent now.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
So I orginally thought it wasn't possible to buffer turnaround after a Dtilt until the entire animation finished but that's false. All you have to do is flick the control stick in the opposite direction and from there, you can buffer jab, grab, etc. Quite useful if someone rolls or jumps over you. Dtilt->Bair is pretty technical but I think Fair should still be the aerial of choice to followup with.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So I orginally thought it wasn't possible to buffer turnaround after a Dtilt until the entire animation finished but that's false. All you have to do is flick the control stick in the opposite direction and from there, you can buffer jab, grab, etc. Quite useful if someone rolls or jumps over you. Dtilt->Bair is pretty technical but I think Fair should still be the aerial of choice to followup with.
Nice! Gonna practice that now, since dtilt->bair would be very good.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
It seems harder to buffer on hit because of hitlag I assume but still doable with a bit of adjustment.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
dtilt->bair

Can't tell if I'm doing it right, though it's a lot faster than it looks in the gif. Holy crap I love this so much.

Last edited:

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Hey all, long time no see. My friend just got Smash 4 and I've been playing a bit so was wondering how the Ike community was doing and I'm glad to see familiar faces are still around. Wi-Fi still sucks and it really tries my patience to play through it, but I am down to play with you guys online.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
What are the stats on Eruption? Is it weaker than in Brawl? What percents does it KO?

Unrelated, but is Priam really the descendent of Ike, or does he claim to be?

Last edited:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Wi-Fi still sucks and it really tries my patience to play through it, but I am down to play with you guys online.
Welcome to the club. Online lag is unbelievably frustrating to the point that I mainly play For Fun FFAs.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
What are the stats on Eruption? Is it weaker than in Brawl? What percents does it KO?

Unrelated, but is Priam really the descendent of Ike, or does he claim to be?
Eruption was stronger in Brawl if charged all the way but before the explosion, killed Mario off the top with no DI around 14% iirc. But the hitbox wasn't as good as it is now. Eruption uncharged kills around 120-130 probably. Then you have to factor in rage, etc. Partially charged, you'll get KOs around 80 or so.

Priam is probably Mist's descendent since I don't think Ike was ever interested in a women/family. Lol
Otherwise, he's the real deal. The guy's Ragnell is worn out and he has similar features to Ike.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Eruption was stronger in Brawl if charged all the way but before the explosion, killed Mario off the top with no DI around 14% iirc. But the hitbox wasn't as good as it is now. Eruption uncharged kills around 120-130 probably. Then you have to factor in rage, etc. Partially charged, you'll get KOs around 80 or so.

Priam is probably Mist's descendent since I don't think Ike was ever interested in a women/family. Lol
Otherwise, he's the real deal. The guy's Ragnell is worn out and he has similar features to Ike.
I'd rather have a larger hitbox, and it still retains a lot of poet, so I'm happy with the trade off.

I haven't played any FE games, so I only have a limited knowledge about the series, but when you say

I don't think Ike was ever interested in a women
what are you implying?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
He didn't show any interest in romance. Not saying he's gay but he was more into fighting and whatnot.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
He didn't show any interest in romance. Not saying he's gay but he was more into fighting and whatnot.
Well I search around about this. Apparently there are some reasonable theories suggesting Ike is gay. More you know.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Well elincia had a thing for him in path of radiance, but then the developers just killed it in radiant dawn. *sad face*. But then again, it was elincia that showed interest in ike and not the other way around. Some of the character conversations reveal her interest in game too. But I guess ike just doesn't prefer royalty altogether.

Personally I kinda wanted elincia and ike to pair up, mainly cause she is a Pegasus rider so that would kinda make their pairing similar to marth and caedas since caeda is also a Pegasus rider. But whatever, I grew out of that now.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's thing is more a case of "They ran out of time for any real supports in FE10 outside of a handful/IkexSoren because they had a secret tied to that one." I highly suspect that if they actually made the dozens upon dozens of endings planned, in Ike's case there would have been a few with a female character heading out with him much like how Soren or Randulf can.

Alternatively, he finally settled down after traveling for X amount of time. Its much more likely that he traveled far enough to get to that continent rather than a descendant of Boyd and Mist. Largely because we already know Ike set out to travel, and he probably would have been the one to have Ragnell with him during said travel. If a country is going to give out one of its sacred treasures forever, who is it more likely going to give it to? The Hero that saved everyone on the planet, or a descendent of the hero's sister who knows how many generations later?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
That makes sense, but if the Crimean royal family wanted to keep Ragnell in Crimea, it would make sense for the family to allow Mist to have some sort of access to the sword. Like @ -RedX- -RedX- said, Priam could also be related to Ike though Mist since Ike and Mist had the same parents, meaning the same genetic traits that surfaced in Ike could also surface in Priam. So while Priam might not be the directly descended from Ike, he most likely has some relation. Priam could in theory gain access to Ragnell due to his relation to Ike, regardless to what happened to the sword after the events of Radiant Dawn. Essentially, there is too little information on Ike and Ragnell to make a accurate hypothesis about Priam's ancestry and Ike sexuality. I think it's cool that what happened after Radiant Dawn is left ambiguous, because it adds an aura of mystery to Ike's character.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Crimea didn't have control over Ragnell.

Begnion did. It was their original leader who used the sword, it was their sacred treasure. Which makes it even more likely that it went to either Ike or nobody: that wasn't even the country Ike called home. Makes it even less likely that one of his decedents (related to the ones that took over his Mercenary group in Crimea and most likely stayed there) would get the sword later on.

They also would have wanted Ike to be safe in his travels with the hopes of him coming back. Remember, the blessing was tied to Ragnell specifically, not Ike himself. Wouldn't you want the person who saved the word to be safe while travelling?

Logically speaking, it pretty much has to be Ike directly. He killed the Goddess, he gets to keep the nice shiny sword, he took it with him when he left because screw the rules. To me, Praim being a faker/idiot and having a fake Ragnell is more likely than him being from Boyd/Mist.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Really hope the next FE game addresses the Ike and Priam mystery.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I'd love to see a Fire Emblem where all of the main Lords are represented. They could all be fighting for a common cause, or better yet, against each other. The player would choose one army to start with and you would see the story through their point of view. Imagine Marth vs Roy vs Lyn/Eliwood/Hector vs Ephraim/Eirika vs Ike/Micaiah vs Chrom/Lucina (vs other missed lords). I think that'd be pretty sick

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
^ (last few posts) spoiler warning btw, for anyone wanted to play path of radiance and radiant dawn and hasn't done it yet.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm still waiting for SMT x Fire Emblem, not looking good with no news like this.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Sadly, I never beat Radiant Dawn. back when it came out, I was on act 3 when my non-hacked, well-kept Wii died due to WiiConnect24 overheating it. Convinced me to hack my next one immediately due to salt so I could have the extra features and brick-prevention.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Crimea didn't have control over Ragnell.

Begnion did. It was their original leader who used the sword, it was their sacred treasure. Which makes it even more likely that it went to either Ike or nobody: that wasn't even the country Ike called home. Makes it even less likely that one of his decedents (related to the ones that took over his Mercenary group in Crimea and most likely stayed there) would get the sword later on.

They also would have wanted Ike to be safe in his travels with the hopes of him coming back. Remember, the blessing was tied to Ragnell specifically, not Ike himself. Wouldn't you want the person who saved the word to be safe while travelling?

Logically speaking, it pretty much has to be Ike directly. He killed the Goddess, he gets to keep the nice shiny sword, he took it with him when he left because screw the rules. To me, Praim being a faker/idiot and having a fake Ragnell is more likely than him being from Boyd/Mist.
Okay. I've never played a single FE game before, so you know far more than me. I still want to know, Do you think Priam is actually a descendent of Ike, or do you think he is a fake?

So what kind of game is Fire Emblem. I've been interested in the series for a while and have been think of getting a game. Which one should I buy first. I want to play a game from the Tellius Arc.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Okay. I've never played a single FE game before, so you know far more than me. I still want to know, Do you think Priam is actually a descendent of Ike, or do you think he is a fake?

So what kind of game is Fire Emblem. I've been interested in the series for a while and have been think of getting a game. Which one should I buy first. I want to play a game from the Tellius Arc.
Path of Radiance then Radiant Dawn if you really want to start with Tellius.

If you want the full experience, I recommend playing Fire Emblem (GBA) before Path of Radiance. Sacred Stones is optional, since Awakening is a game in its vein that hasn't yet aged..

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Path of Radiance then Radiant Dawn if you really want to start with Tellius.

If you want the full experience, I recommend playing Fire Emblem (GBA) before Path of Radiance. Sacred Stones is optional, since Awakening is a game in its vein that hasn't yet aged..
I can play Path of Radiance since I have a Gen I Wii, so I'll start with that. I think I'll hold out on Awakening. It was creepy that none of the characters had feet.

EDIT: Just looked at the prices on Kijiji, eBay, and Amazon. Copies of PoR are $100 average, while Radiant Dawn $70 average. I think I just died a little. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom