• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Freezing Up Donkey Kong Island: Lord Fredrik for Smash!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
AN INTRODUCTION
The Snowmads are the main antagonists of the Wii U game, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. They are based on stereotypical Vikings, and comprise of polar animals like penguins, polar bears, seals and walruses. They follow their leader, who is based on a walrus, whose name is currently under unknown. They attempt to take over DK island when their leader summons a giant ice dragon using large horn and plunging the island into an eternal winter.

Here's his official artwork. Yep, Retro Studios wants to keep him a secret until release.

DOES HE DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH?

I'll start this by saying that I do not believe he should get in Smash before Dixie Kong or King K. Rool.
With that out of the way, I personally think that the Snowmads and their leader are interesting and fleshed out villains, far more so than the Tiki Tak Tribe of Donkey Kong Country: Returns. While it may seem to be awfully early for hiss inclusion since the game isn't even out yet (and will release on the next day in Japan at the time of writing), I believe that they have a lot of potential to grow and become just as beloved antagonists as the Kremlings and their King.

WHAT DOES HE OFFER MOVESET-WISE?
For starters, from the looks of him, he'll most likely be a heavyweight, and use ice based powers - his giant horn can create icy winds and he can summon the giant icy dragon for his final Smash. You can watch the opening cutscene of Tropical Freeze to get an idea.

I'll update this section as more info about the Snowmads and the game itself becomes available.

WHAT ARE HIS CHANCES?
I'll admit that he doesn't have a chance of making it in as a playable character over Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Cranky Kong and possibly even Funky Kong. Still, I'm fond of his design, and think that he can make for an interesting playable charcter. At this point though, he can still be in the game as an assist trophy and summon the Ice Dragon as his attack.

THE BEST PART: MUSIC!
It should be common knowledge by now, but David Wise who is well known for creating the memorable music in the original DKC Trilogy such as Gangplack Galleon, Stickerbrush Symphony and Crocodile Cacophony is back as the chief music composer for Tropical Freeze! These music pieces were put up on the Japanese website for Tropical Freeze.
Alps Fall
Spark Ocean
Tropical Freeze
Spark Mangroves
Vikings Island

I figured that with Tropical Freeze releasing tomorrow, it would a rather perfect time to make a thread for him. Discuss away! if there is anything to discuss.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
At this point, I'm pretty sure that he is not K. Rool in disguise, but if the impossible happens, I'll be amused.
Oh I agree, but I said that mostly because the joke had to be used.

But hey if he is K. Rool I'll be a pleasantly surprised.

Groose

Smash Champion
At this point, I'm pretty sure that he is not K. Rool in disguise, but if the impossible happens, I'll be amused.
I agree with you... but because this picture took me an hour to make, I'm posting it here anyway.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
This would be insane, but I would be okay with it if he came after K. Rool, Cranky, and Dixie.

In other words, I wouldn't be okay with it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Walruses are among my favorite Arctic animals.

That being said, I'll wait for more info to emerge before passing judgment.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If the Snomad leader is not K. Rool, that decision would be a wasted opportunity.

(Keltic K. Rool)

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Yes please. He looks pretty darn cool, and will probably have tons of moveset potential. I support!

Groose

Smash Champion
[collapse=Final Boss Spoiler (Tropical Freeze)]
It looks like you won't have to be merging this thread anytime soon.

[/collapse]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Much better than Tiki Tong.

Though as much as I like walruses, this guy shouldn't be in place of K. Rool in Smash. I mean, even his boss fight channels K. Rool's fights on certain parts.

Though I would not oppose to him showing up in more DK games. He and K. Rool should team up.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
What's with all the mods having WTF Support Threads.

It looks like some people are finally realizing my pure genius and following in my footsteps in order to receive the most out of life.
Wise choice boys, wise choice,

But seriously, it really bothered me that Retro kept a character that didn't even exist a big secret until release.
Who's it gonna be?
Who's it gonna be?
Who's it gonna be?
It is K. Rool?
Is it K. Rool?
It can't be a character that didn't exist before, otherwise you aren't giving anyone a surprise when you reveal who it is!
It must b K. Rool.
Why would they want to keep a character that nobody knows because he was never seen before a secret? Then they would be no shock once they reveal the secret.
It iiiiiiiiiiiiiisssss........

A FAT WALRUS GUY!!!!!

A round of applause for all the geniuses at Retro Studios!

Much better than Tiki Tong.

Though as much as I like walruses, this guy shouldn't be in place of K. Rool in Smash. I mean, even his boss fight channels K. Rool's fights on certain parts.

Though I would not oppose to him showing up in more DK games. He and K. Rool should team up.
I could really see there being some DLC or DKCR 3 plot point where this guy is K. Rool's Scandinavian cousin or something.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wait a minute.....

I just noticed something.

The boss in the video has dark blue transition to white skin.
But from the little tiny lighted parts of the official artwork, you can see the guy in the artwork has GREEN skin!
image.jpg

The tip of his elbow on the right. And his stomach looks a tad yellow-tanish too.

I am convinced that K. Rool is somehow related to this guy, and will show up later.
Whether that be through a secret part of the game, DLC, or in the next DKC game.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Wait a minute.....

I just noticed something.

The boss in the video has dark blue transition to white skin.
But from the little tiny lighted parts of the official artwork, you can see the guy in the artwork has GREEN skin!
View attachment 8388

The tip of his elbow on the right. And his stomach looks a tad yellow-tanish too.

I am convinced that K. Rool is somehow related to this guy, and will show up later.
Whether that be through a secret part of the game, DLC, or in the next DKC game.
It has been noted by others that the greenish tint can be attributed to the ambient glow/reflection of his vambraces.

And now that his true form has been shown in-game, this official artwork color hypothesis doesn't much, if any, water anyway (though Freddy and K Rool may nonetheless be shown to have some connection in the future).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
[collapse=Final Boss Spoiler (Tropical Freeze)]
It looks like you won't have to be merging this thread anytime soon.

[/collapse]
I find it funny how similar he is to King K. Rool. Jumping all over the place, dropping cannonballs from the sky too.

I hope the similarities are intentional.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
So it's revealed that this guy has nothing to do with K. Rool, only that he takes nods off of him.

Despite all the comparisons one could make, too.

Now what?

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
So... Yeah, Fredrik would kinda suck in Smash honestly. He'd mostly end up being a Bowser clone, maybe with a few attacks to do with his bugle.

K. Rool is the true recurring, memorable, sadistic, and classic villain of the DKC series.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I want...
To sleep on his belly.
That **** be softer than the memory foam, yo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like to see Lord Fredrik in a Mario Kart game... :)

So... Yeah, Fredrik would kinda suck in Smash honestly. He'd mostly end up being a Bowser clone, maybe with a few attacks to do with his bugle.

K. Rool is the true recurring, memorable, sadistic, and classic villain of the DKC series.
He would be a clone of Bowser? That's so ignorant.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Neither K. Rool nor Fredrick really fit Bowser's moveset.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, that's how I see it.

Yes, the fire and shell spin wouldn't be in his moveset though. And Smash Attacks may be different.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I wish his name was "Lord Walhala" instead of "Fredrick."

Walhala is much cooler. And hearing the announcer say "WALHALAAAAA!" would make my day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom