• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Data Question about shields

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Let's say someone is in shield, and I'm the person who's attacking them. Would there be any change to the frame data (as in an addition of lag) to my attacks if the attacks hit the shield? What about Aerial Attacks? Does hitting someone in shield change your Momentum or add lag to attacks?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Let's say someone is in shield, and I'm the person who's attacking them. Would there be any change to the frame data (as in an addition of lag) to my attacks if the attacks hit the shield? What about Aerial Attacks? Does hitting someone in shield change your Momentum or add lag to attacks?
Hitting shields causes hitlag, as when you hit anything else. Easy way to calculate hitlag (in frames) for most attacks is divide the damage it does by 3, then add 3, and round down. In most cases the opponent also experiences the same amount of hitlag, so you don't need to factor it into shield advantage calculations. Note that hitlag multipliers do not affect shields, so attacks that have these do not create reduced or additional hitlag on the defender.
Attacking shields also pushes you back, although it's barely noticeable without moves that deal high damage like Warlock punch or bowser's fsmash. I'm not sure if you receive pushback while airborne, though.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Hitting shields causes hitlag, as when you hit anything else. Easy way to calculate hitlag (in frames) for most attacks is divide the damage it does by 3, then add 3, and round down. In most cases the opponent also experiences the same amount of hitlag, so you don't need to factor it into shield advantage calculations. Note that hitlag multipliers do not affect shields, so attacks that have these do not create reduced or additional hitlag on the defender.
Attacking shields also pushes you back, although it's barely noticeable without moves that deal high damage like Warlock punch or bowser's fsmash. I'm not sure if you receive pushback while airborne, though.
Not very knowledgeable on shield mechanics, but I read something somewhere that may be applicable. While the player that shields does receive minimal KB (appropriate term?), I've read somewhere that they can increase/decrease that said distance traveled by what I believed was called "Shield DI-ing". May have just misheard/misunderstood an explanation for Shield-tilting, but just throwing that out there in case it does exist.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
Not very knowledgeable on shield mechanics, but I read something somewhere that may be applicable. While the player that shields does receive minimal KB (appropriate term?), I've read somewhere that they can increase/decrease that said distance traveled by what I believed was called "Shield DI-ing". May have just misheard/misunderstood an explanation for Shield-tilting, but just throwing that out there in case it does exist.
shield SDI does exist and you can use it to punish certain attacks more effectively. for example i've seen a sheik player shield SDI towards the attacker so that the sheik player could punish the attack with fair OoS.

here is a video i found on the subject after a quick google search.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53t9fDzdCyw

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Shield DI is similar to SDI IIRC in that you kind of warp towards the direction you're holding the stick.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's more appropriate to call it Shield SDI and Shield ASDI.
Works just like regular SDI and ASDI except you can only move left or right. Shield SDI only works during hitlag, Shield ASDI only the frame after hitlag (first frame of shield stun).

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
shield SDI does exist and you can use it to punish certain attacks more effectively. for example i've seen a sheik player shield SDI towards the attacker so that the sheik player could punish the attack with fair OoS.

here is a video i found on the subject after a quick google search.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53t9fDzdCyw
This brought tears to my eyes...no more barely being out of reach for a shield grab during a rush down.

Top Bottom