• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Foxtrot Banana Slide (New AT?)

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I have the video right HERE.

I am sorry if this is stupid cause it seems pretty simple, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

What you have to do is initiate a foxtrot, do a crouch and press Z or A to catch the banana and you will slide at the end. This is good for those people who always dash attack to pick up bananas and now there is one more way to pick up a banana. With Dash attack, SH Z, SH Aerial, and now FBS (Foxtrot Banana slide)? I dunno.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
you cant pick up a banana after you already picked it up lol. And it seems you can do an attack out of it, but like I said in the video, there seems to be some lag. But some characters like marth have no lag at all.

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
Needs a better name =P

But just to kinda repeat what yoshididdy said, you first DASH towards any item. Then press down on the analog stick and then press z or a (almost immediately) to pick up the item. All characters can do this, but we're putting this on the diddy boards because its the most practical with him.

If you tried it yourself, you will notice that there's a lot of ending lag where you won't be able to do anything for a good quarter of a second. In order to avoid this, you have to crouch a bit earlier before you reach the item so you will come to a near stop. It's easier to have 0 ending lag with other characters, such as marth or falco, but its quite difficult to have 0 ending lag with diddy. Weird. It just takes practice to get the timing down.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I've known about this for a while, but haven't found it very useful... It's good to use when you feel like you will get punished by picking up with a dash attack

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Isn't this basically z-catching at the beginning of the dash animation? I don't think it's new. It doesn't seem much more useful either, unless you don't want to get shieldgrabbed with your dash attack or something.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea diddy has lag upon catching it and as u said YD characters such as marth and like metaknight have little to no lag upon doing this o-o. but i guess mindgames ftw :p

Geou

Smash Apprentice
AMAZING DISCOVERY YOSHIDIDDY THIS WILL REVOLUTIONIZE THE DIDDY, NO BRAWL METAGAME AS WE KNOW IT

I applaud you, good sir. You are, in every sense of the word, a hero.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
Ya i use this, I think its in the stickies. It looks pretty slick too. No lag at all when you pick it up, tons of options to use with this.

TreK

Is "that guy"
i've been mixing it in my playstyle for months now ; however i used to release the control stick and press A instead of crouching+Z... Do you think this method is actually faster ?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I delay the the z so that Im already crouching when I press it meaning you dont slide as much and theres less lag. At least it feels that way for me.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
It still the same result. You can only throw it after you finish your fox trot. And you are finishing it the same time regardless if you delay the z or not.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Can you attack out of it? Makes me wonder if you could do basically any attack to pick up a banana (After the picking up of the banana of course).
What attack? The nanna is in hand already so any attack would lead to throwing. I like it, better than always using the DA.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I remember another thread or two touching on this phenomenon. I think god-is-my-rock did some research (or someone did at least) and found that there were IASA frames during which the naner can be picked up.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
It still the same result. You can only throw it after you finish your fox trot. And you are finishing it the same time regardless if you delay the z or not.
No its not
If you click down+Z, your slide starts at the banana but if you input down before the banana, then hit z, your slide starts before the banana. I know the slide is the same distance, its just that this method lets you move almost immedeately afterwards cause you started the slide earlier.

white peachy

Smash Ace
You can do this out of a full dash too. I think it's been known for awhile though.

EDIT: Nvm, I missed the sliding action of the dash, not sure if you get that out of a full dash or not.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
No its not
If you click down+Z, your slide starts at the banana but if you input down before the banana, then hit z, your slide starts before the banana. I know the slide is the same distance, its just that this method lets you move almost immedeately afterwards cause you started the slide earlier.

The slide ends at the same time and you have to wait for it to end to do something.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I'm fairly positive this has been brought up a couple of different times over the course of the last few months. The main problem that I had when I experimented with it is that it occasionally puts you in a worse position than you would have been in if you had simply just dash-attacked. Most opponents are conditioned to expect a cartwheel especially if there is a banana peel separating you and your opponent. As far as I can tell, there is no way to cancel the cool-down animation on the slide fast enough to where opponents wouldn't be able to capitalize on this window of vulnerability.

I usually prefer:
  • releasing my directional stick to initiate a skidding halt out of Diddy's dash animation, just as he slides into grabbing range of a banana peel
  • picking up a banana peel right at the end of a single or series of foxtrots
  • shield-canceling a dash and then sliding into banana peel grab range
This is, of course, keeping in mind that you don't want to accidentally put yourself within your opponent's reach while you retrieve your items.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I think were talking about different things yoshididdy. Thats why I couldnt understand what you were talking about lol
I got mixed up and was talking about the first thing in Le THieNs post above (release the control stick to slide to the banana then pick it up) It is different from the technique being discussed in this thread (zgrabbing or whatever)
Sorry about the confusion.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is one of many small things I've been slowly working into my game over the last few months. It isn't new, but I didn't know you could use the Z-button to get it.

Here is what I do:
Dash
Set control stick to neutral (ie everyone saying you have to press down..well...you don't)
A

And you can attack if you held down A (I have R set to A) or you can throw it right away I believe.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Yeah, been using this for a while now. It's good to mix up so you won't look predictable.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell, there is no way to cancel the cool-down animation on the slide fast enough to where opponents wouldn't be able to capitalize on this window of vulnerability.
This, it's not faster than a dash attack as far as I've tried it and is just as punishable with no attack frames.

=/

I'd just like walk up to it.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Yeah, Z-Catching is what it's called I think. Advent has a thread on it called ADTs or something.

Top Bottom