• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's up throw is the only one worth using

KidSchadow

Smash Rookie
There are three reasons I say this:
  1. One of Fox's strongest traits is the ability to cover landings, so getting someone in the air gives fox a huge positional advantage. Knocking the opponent above Fox is, in fact, more of an advantage than knocking the opponent offstage. In addition, it often takes only a single up air to start racking someone up to kill percent.
  2. Fox's edge guard game is incredibly risky. A bair or fast fall fair offstage require great precision and can easily be converted into a gimped Fox. Meanwhile, Fox's onstage options such as dsmash or uptilt to scoop the ledge have a very small window to be successful, causing it to be a very inconsistent option. Assuming, however, that these timings could be honed to precision, I'd perhaps reconsider this point.
  3. Up Throw > air dodge read > up air is Fox's best kill option against a shielding opponent. Considering hold shield is anti-fox strategy 101, this setup is used a lot. At low percents, down throw > fair can be di'd out of without consequence, meaning its pointless to waste a throw opportunity on instead of just putting the opponent in an awful position.
Now please inform me on what I didn't mention or what I'm wrong about, because I'd love some more consistent options.

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
At low percents (I would say from 0-10% depending on weight and all those other attributes), you can usually connect a down throw to fair to uair. Other than that, i usually use throws for racking up damage since he has an incredible pummel

KidSchadow

Smash Rookie
At low percents (I would say from 0-10% depending on weight and all those other attributes), you can usually connect a down throw to fair to uair.
Is this actually true at any point though?

Edit: Down throw to fair, I mean.

Last edited:

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
^ I don't know of any such thread. However, in my experience you can always get a fair after down throw if you just dash forward after using it and react to the DI by timing your jump. The Uair is never guaranteed on good DI though, so this doesn't really do that much damage. DI away does put them slightly above and in front of fox though, which is generally good positioning for a followup/read. Down throw also can combo into bair at low percents for a lot of damage and can chain into a grab/dash attack mixup, but only if they DI straight away and down (the most common DI). Larry does this last one a lot.

All this stuff stops working at about 30% with good opponent DI.

(I've just recently been inspired by Nietono to main this character, if I've gotten anything wrong please correct me. Thanks!)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
There are three reasons I say this:
  1. One of Fox's strongest traits is the ability to cover landings, so getting someone in the air gives fox a huge positional advantage. Knocking the opponent above Fox is, in fact, more of an advantage than knocking the opponent offstage. In addition, it often takes only a single up air to start racking someone up to kill percent.
  2. Fox's edge guard game is incredibly risky. A bair or fast fall fair offstage require great precision and can easily be converted into a gimped Fox. Meanwhile, Fox's onstage options such as dsmash or uptilt to scoop the ledge have a very small window to be successful, causing it to be a very inconsistent option. Assuming, however, that these timings could be honed to precision, I'd perhaps reconsider this point.
  3. Up Throw > air dodge read > up air is Fox's best kill option against a shielding opponent. Considering hold shield is anti-fox strategy 101, this setup is used a lot. At low percents, down throw > fair can be di'd out of without consequence, meaning its pointless to waste a throw opportunity on instead of just putting the opponent in an awful position.
Now please inform me on what I didn't mention or what I'm wrong about, because I'd love some more consistent options.

first of all let me just get this out of the way, dthrow > fair is never ever guaranteed on any character at any percent, it wont work if the opponent knows how to DI the throw correctly. Against players with fox matchup knowledge you very rarely pull it off, of course you can still get followup's off dthrow, like running towards them, shorthop but then fast fall to the ground, and punish them if your shorthop baited an airdodge, stuff like that, and you can punish the landings of the dthrow too. At lower percents in some situations dthrow can get you more than u throw.

What you've said above is mostly correct but there are a few things to keep in mind, some characters are extremely hard to punish on landing or get uairs on in the air, although thats not really a reason not to try.

I'm a top level player in my country and I've noticed that other good players who are used to fighting fox know how dangerous it is to try land against fox, so after an uthrow they'll go up out and around off stage where fox cant follow, and grab the ledge and come back onto stage that way, as you've said foxes offstage game sucks, so its much safer to go offstage and come back on that way than it is to try land when fox is below you, so against opponents that do this it doesn't really make a whole lot of different which throw you use.

here's a **** picture I made, obviously the orange circle is fox, the options from left to right go from worst landing option against fox to best landing option against fox.
https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn....85_1151156711579282_1474026462724061963_o.jpg

Finally, what do you do when your opponent is in shield, and throws put them too high to uair, or they have too much aerial mobility (once you start going up with fox you have a very narrow vertical tube of area you can get to due to foxes poor horizontal speed) and they keep going out and around to the ledge?
You just have to figure out how to punish their ledge options, I noticed this as a big hole in foxes game a little while after the game came out so I've really focused on trying to make my ledge punish game as good as it can get.
As I said I'm a top player in my country and I get a lot of kills on people as they are coming up off the ledge, I dont say this to brag but rather to say that it can be done and a lot of players are really ready for it because honestly when's the last time you played somebody who just get punishing you for your ledge options over and over again no matter how much you mixed it up?

edit: here's another **** picture https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn....=bbf6a6e6649e012c149123241606e4e8&oe=5743AD4A

and also yeah I forgot to put this in but as rebel said, but dthrow to RAR bair at low percents works very well, its avoidable but I dunno how avoidable, I land it a lot

Last edited:

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
User was warned for this post
At any point? If you mean at later percents, then no it doesn't. D throw gets too much knockback past like 50 or 60 to combo reliably

first of all let me just get this out of the way, dthrow > fair is never ever guaranteed on any character at any percent, it wont work if the opponent knows how to DI the throw correctly. Against players with fox matchup knowledge you very rarely pull it off, of course you can still get followup's off dthrow, like running towards them, shorthop but then fast fall to the ground, and punish them if your shorthop baited an airdodge, stuff like that, and you can punish the landings of the dthrow too. At lower percents in some situations dthrow can get you more than u throw.

What you've said above is mostly correct but there are a few things to keep in mind, some characters are extremely hard to punish on landing or get uairs on in the air, although thats not really a reason not to try.

I'm a top level player in my country and I've noticed that other good players who are used to fighting fox know how dangerous it is to try land against fox, so after an uthrow they'll go up out and around off stage where fox cant follow, and grab the ledge and come back onto stage that way, as you've said foxes offstage game sucks, so its much safer to go offstage and come back on that way than it is to try land when fox is below you, so against opponents that do this it doesn't really make a whole lot of different which throw you use.

here's a **** picture I made, obviously the orange circle is fox, the options from left to right go from worst landing option against fox to best landing option against fox.
https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn....85_1151156711579282_1474026462724061963_o.jpg

Finally, what do you do when your opponent is in shield, and throws put them too high to uair, or they have too much aerial mobility (once you start going up with fox you have a very narrow vertical tube of area you can get to due to foxes poor horizontal speed) and they keep going out and around to the ledge?
You just have to figure out how to punish their ledge options, I noticed this as a big hole in foxes game a little while after the game came out so I've really focused on trying to make my ledge punish game as good as it can get.
As I said I'm a top player in my country and I get a lot of kills on people as they are coming up off the ledge, I dont say this to brag but rather to say that it can be done and a lot of players are really ready for it because honestly when's the last time you played somebody who just get punishing you for your ledge options over and over again no matter how much you mixed it up?

edit: here's another **** picture https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn....=bbf6a6e6649e012c149123241606e4e8&oe=5743AD4A

and also yeah I forgot to put this in but as rebel said, but dthrow to RAR bair at low percents works very well, its avoidable but I dunno how avoidable, I land it a lot
Hmm. I guess not many people know how to DI it at my local since that is where i mainly play. Probably a handful have gotten out of it in my time playing there. I'll need to read more on this. Thanks for the insight on this

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
All of Fox's throws are worth using, with back throw having the least amount of application (imo). His throws become a lot better when you consider the DI traps he's capable of as well. Here's an example:
-You're against some random character(just say Sheik in order to emphasize your hatred towards her) and they're at about 100%. You're both at the edge of the stage and you land the grab. The opponent will anticipate a forward throw, so they DI in. Catch them off guard with a down throw. Down throw true combos into up air if they DI in. BOOM. The opposite of this can also apply(They anticipate down throw, so they DI away, but you forward throw instead, which sends them further offstage). That's just a small example, so there are more things you can do with DI mixups.
But yeah, I'd say all of Fox's throws are good in their respective purposes. I have a guide(currently incomplete) that entirely focuses on Fox's grab game, so that may motivate you to utilize some parts of Fox's kit you have disregarded for the time being.

Last edited:

EPM

Smash Cadet
Not super relevant but f throw is very good in doubles since it can hit both opponents

Tondo

Smash Rookie
Dthrow on certain char at strict % true combo into fair>upair, no matter how good their DI is. I agree with OP when he says Fox is good at punish landing, but that's more true when enemy have to land on a platform above us. ie, on battlefield, grab on center stage: dhtrow is probably best option, cos at low % can frame trap with rar bair (if dodged u can punish landing lag with a grounded option, like up smash), at higher percent they will probably land on the platform, opening possibilities for tech chase or anything else; if they DI in -> upair. If u're uder lower platform uthrow is probably better. As TopBoss said power of Fox's throw is the mixuping them. Btw at not rly high level ppl tend to DI ever in the same way ( usually "always DI completely away when on stage and completely in when offstage"): learn how ur enemy DI and u'll know which grab is worth to use.

Kofeezy

Smash Rookie
Definitely make usage of all his throws. What I like to do at high %s since Fox has a terrible time killing is either:

- up throw and try and cover their landing option or get an air dodge read

- down throw to up air mixup at the ledge

- or forward throw/back throw at the ledge and condition an immediate ledge option via ledge trumps, and since most people jump or roll, it's an easy read with a nair/up air or up smash.

At low %s, it's easy to get a fair to up air (multiple), fair to bair or fair to up air off d-throw, or even a just a fast fall fair to start a jab lock situation, depending on DI

Don't just depend on up throw.

Last edited:

KidSchadow

Smash Rookie
At low %s, it's easy to get a fair to up air (multiple), fair to bair or fair to up air off d-throw, or even a just a fast fall fair to start a jab lock situation, depending on DI

Don't just depend on up throw.
I know fair has a lot of combo potential, but it hardly matters in relation to throws because the opponent can just di to avoid fair.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
I know fair has a lot of combo potential, but it hardly matters in relation to throws because the opponent can just di to avoid fair.
Than u use another move to punish him if opponent di's. This game is all about setting up for combos not so much true combos. Fox is the lord of the bait

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
All throws matter

I have a dream, a dream that one day up throws, down throws, forward throws and back throws will all be able to live together in harmony
I have a dream that one day throws will be judged not on the basis of their direction, but on the validity of their setups
I have a dream!

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Agree mostly, but there are some things I should point out along with the one's luke_atyeo luke_atyeo mentioned;

Throwing an opponent as Fox won't yield a KO; they are supposed to put opponents in uncomfortable positions. U-throw is very good at doing this, but there are situations when it is better to throw the opponent offstage.

Fox's offstage game may be garbage, but his ledge game is phenomenal. What do I mean by ledge game? I mean punishing the opponent's option at the ledge. I am going to cover only the ledge-trump here;

Fox's Ledge-trump

Reflex's video on ledge-trumping; https://youtu.be/VR37CS30NAE

"Characters are forced to hold on to the ledge for about 20 frames ... If you buffer a ledge jump, ledge attack, or ledge roll, it is impossible to be ledge trumped"

With this knowledge in mind, how then can Fox use it to his advantage? For this example, we will assume Fox has grabbed the ledge in an attempt to ledge trump by running off and immediately pushing back to grab the ledge (if you are unfamiliar with how to do this; read here).

Note: this assumes that Fox did not allow ample time for the opponent to do a regular getup or ledge drop (20 frames + input). This is because these options CANNOT be buffered, meaning that the opponent is going to get trumped if you do a ledge trump perfectly before they even have the chance of doing a getup or ledge drop. This means that Fox waited a maximum of 20 total frames to do the ledge trump and the opponent inputted the option immediately or got trumped.

Scenario 1 - the opponent doesn't react and is trumped

You have two options;
1. Follow up with drop ledge -> rising B-air. If the opponent doesn't air-dodge, they get hit.

For reference; when you are ledge-trumped, you are forced into an animation of getting shoved off the ledge, which lasts about 30 frames. This is half-a-second that your opponent cannot do anything while they fly helplessly in the air. Fox's B-air comes out on frame 9, but we are forced to stay grabbing the ledge for 20 frames before letting go and using rising B-air. This means it would take about 33 frames to get a perfect ledge-trump b-air; 20 forced + about 4 additional frames dropping and rising with double jump + using the 9 frame B-air. Note that you have to input the b-air as you rise with it. Hence, the opponent will only have roughly 3 frames max to react, since they have been shoved off and have to wait out the animation of 30 frames.

If you grab the ledge as the opponent is forced to do their 20 waiting frames and they don't choose an option and get trumped, this will make ledge trump -> B-air virtually guaranteed.

I say 'virtually' because of course here are other factors that come into play; Characters with fast jumps, moves that allow some characters to quickly go back onstage or have invincible frames will be able to escape it. Examples include Yoshi's armored double jump, Sheik's bouncing fish, and so on.

2. Since the opponent has that small time to air-dodge, you can just do a normal getup onstage and bait out the air-dodge, or do a rising Bair towards onstage (thanks Luke for this!). If they air-dodge, they will be forced to grab the ledge again unless they have an additional jump or recovery option. Additionally, an opponent re-grabbing the ledge without being hit offstage loses invincibility but still has to wait 20 frames before choosing an action. If the opponent goes to grab ledge again due to lacking another option, you can punish them with a D-smash or the late part of F-smash.

Again, character attributes and abilities play a part here. Keep all the things in the previous point in mind when thinking about what option you'll choose.

Now I'm going to cover the options which Reflex showcases on his video; ledge-roll, ledge-jump, and ledge-attack. Ledge-roll and ledge-attack are almost the same, but ledge-attack varies slightly.

Scenario 2 - the opponent does a ledge roll

You can do ledge-drop > double jump > Fox Illusion back onstage to cover the roll and punish it. Ledge roll data;
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/LedgeRoll

Note how every ledge roll can be cancelled after 50 frames, meaning the opponent will go through a minimum of 50 frames total before doing anything. This is universal in Smash4.

Assuming the opponent read your trump and rolled, you have 20 frames before dropping, about 2 frames dropping the ledge, then you double jump to get above the lip of the stage in position (since Fox rises fast, this should only take about 4 frames minimum if done perfectly), and then use side-b (active on frame 21) onstage to hit the opponent; total is about 43-46 frames, while the opponent is just ending the last frames of their roll (50).

This means you will catch the opponent's ledge-roll if done perfectly. As most of you know, Illusion can confirm into a U-air or B-air if you hit near the middle of the move because of the angle it sends opponents at and if the % is right.

Scenario 3 - they ledge attack

You can also cover this with side-b, though you'll be sending them backwards if you hit them near the beginning of the move. Another option is to do a drop down -> f-air copter or rising U-air to hit them. The ledge attack lasts longer than the ledge roll, so you have plenty of time to cover it too.

Scenario 4 - opponent ledge jumps

Fox is unable to punish opponents in this scenario. For every characters not named Palutena, Duck Hunt, and Shulk, they have to wait at least 13 frames to fast-fall back down. Fox has to hang on to the ledge or at least 20 frames. Since you can't punish this, what do you do?

With Fox's regular get-up of 35 frames with the last two being vulnerable, you do 55 frames getting back up. Assuming you grabbed the ledge as the opponent buffered their ledge jump, your opponent will have at most 42 frames to get back on the ground (or close to you) and abuse the 2 frames of invulnerability before you can put shield up, roll, attack, etc. Ledge jump heights are significantly high in this game (about the top platform of BF), so this gives you more time than you think and little time for your opponent to punish your attempt back onstage. Most characters (everyone who falls slower than Sheik) will not land fast enough to grab you if they don't fast fall, and most characters who fall slower than Link/ROB won't be near you to hit you with an aerial.

Another option you can consider is to chase the opponent with a ledge-jump of your own, although this isn't risk-free either; your opponent can use an aerial to hit you as you rise, but it won't put you at risk if you predict your opponent will try to come back down to the ground fast-falling. Other options to consider as mixups; drop > jump > side-b is risky and almost the same as doing it when an opponent is waiting onstage for you. Watch where they are and choose it if you feel is correct. Drop > jump and simply landing onstage is faster than a get-up but without the invincibility.

Since Fox can't punish the ledge jump after grabbing the ledge to trump, why should the opponent be afraid of using this? This is where we expand out of ledge-trumping and cover more of Fox's options

Summary - Fox's Ledge-trump

You see now why it matters to send opponents offstage and how Fox can take advantage of the trump better than just any other character. Obviously you shouldn't be using the trump all the time, you can mix it up by faking one and jumping with N-air to cover a getup or a ledge jump (this is how you can cover it), you can use your ground speed to cover a roll and punish with U-smash or dash attack, you can also use jab to cover a ledge getup. Or you can use F-smash (a la Snow) or d-smash if your opponent takes too long to get back up onstage, pivot grab them if you think they'll do a normal getup, etc etc etc, you have so many options with Fox to trap opponents holding the ledge.

And of course, be careful of characters who also have good options from the ledge; Shiek, ZSS, Yoshi, Ness, etc. Be wary of air command grabs that go through shields, be wary of quick rising f-airs, and be wary of recoveries that poke through the stage (Ryu, Ike, Peach, etc).

Last edited:

Nubber

Smash Cadet
Amen DavemanCozy DavemanCozy
You nailed it. Fox offstage is risky because of up b but covering the actual ledge and get ups fox is a beast at.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
You have two options;
1. Follow up with drop ledge -> rising B-air. If the opponent doesn't air-dodge, they get hit. This will work on everyone, even opponents with fast get off me moves, because they will still be in the ledge-trump animation.
For reference; when you are ledge-trumped, you are forced into an animation of getting shoved off the ledge, which lasts about 30 frames (EDIT: Reflex confirmed, 30 frames). Fox's B-air comes out in frame 9, but we are forced to stay on the ledge for 22 frames before letting go and using rising B-air, meaning it would take about 33 frames to get a perfect ledge-trump b-air; 20 forced + 2 more frames forced for letting go + 2 for double jump rising + 9 for B-air. Hence, the opponent will only have 3 frames to react, since they have been shoved off and have to wait out the animation of 30 frames.

2. Since the opponent has ample time to air-dodge, you can also just do a normal getup onstage and bait out the air-dodge. If the opponent goes to grab ledge again due to lacking another option onstage, you can punish them with a D-smash or the late part of F-smash.
yeah I do this a lot, it works really well.
As you said, option 1 will miss if they airdodge, and then you have to recover to the ledge with your upB which can actually put you in a bad spot so if they predict you going for the backair the situation can actually but turned around on you.
So I find I like option 2 more, but instead of just doing a ledge getup to be there ready to punish them if they airdodge, I've found the better thing to do is a ledge drop Bair, but aim to land on the stage. If you do it right (press away rather than down to let go of the ledge) you'll do a bair and land on the stage, and the bair will auto cancel, not only does this put you in a position to punish them going for the ledge as you've said above but it'll also catch them with the bair if they try to double jump to the stage right after being trumped, and if they double jump to the stage with an airdodge to try avoid the bair, you can punish their airdodge with a second bair. like this (except actually hit them with the second bair, I missed it because I moved too far away from diddy) https://youtu.be/jqlGYLUUGvw?t=370
You can also achieve something similar with a ledge jump timed bair to punish airdodges, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDr9zhdUglg&feature=youtu.be&t=230

Also a nice little trick I've found is if you are relying on ledge trumps a lot, your opponent will often buffer a roll to avoid being trumped, so you can charge at the ledge as if you were going to trump, but them just suddenly stop at the very edge (works best if you run towards the ledge from a short distance rather than standing at the ledge waiting because they'll see you running and think you are going to trump), after you've stopped at the ledge turn around walk to roll distance and usmash them for the kill. Can be a nice alternative to the sideB roll punish you mentioned (which is a genius find dude, I'm deffs gonna mix that into my game)

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
yeah I do this a lot, it works really well.
As you said, option 1 will miss if they airdodge, and then you have to recover to the ledge with your upB which can actually put you in a bad spot so if they predict you going for the backair the situation can actually but turned around on you.
So I find I like option 2 more, but instead of just doing a ledge getup to be there ready to punish them if they airdodge, I've found the better thing to do is a ledge drop Bair, but aim to land on the stage. If you do it right (press away rather than down to let go of the ledge) you'll do a bair and land on the stage, and the bair will auto cancel, not only does this put you in a position to punish them going for the ledge as you've said above but it'll also catch them with the bair if they try to double jump to the stage right after being trumped, and if they double jump to the stage with an airdodge to try avoid the bair, you can punish their airdodge with a second bair. like this (except actually hit them with the second bair, I missed it because I moved too far away from diddy) https://youtu.be/jqlGYLUUGvw?t=370
You can also achieve something similar with a ledge jump timed bair to punish airdodges, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDr9zhdUglg&feature=youtu.be&t=230

Also a nice little trick I've found is if you are relying on ledge trumps a lot, your opponent will often buffer a roll to avoid being trumped, so you can charge at the ledge as if you were going to trump, but them just suddenly stop at the very edge (works best if you run towards the ledge from a short distance rather than standing at the ledge waiting because they'll see you running and think you are going to trump), after you've stopped at the ledge turn around walk to roll distance and usmash them for the kill. Can be a nice alternative to the sideB roll punish you mentioned (which is a genius find dude, I'm deffs gonna mix that into my game)
Thanks. I've updated my post and cleaned it a bit; some of the frame data I put there was not clearly explained and I had to add more information on the ledge jump and punishing the other options by faking ledge trump / waiting onstage. I'm thinking of making a thread with more detail about Fox's edge options; I constantly keep seeing threads in the Fox board of "how to edge-guard as Fox" or "what are my options offstage." I think this should be made into a thread :p

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Thanks. I've updated my post and cleaned it a bit; some of the frame data I put there was not clearly explained and I had to add more information on the ledge jump and punishing the other options by faking ledge trump / waiting onstage. I'm thinking of making a thread with more detail about Fox's edge options; I constantly keep seeing threads in the Fox board of "how to edge-guard as Fox" or "what are my options offstage." I think this should be made into a thread :p
yeah deffs, although maybe a video would be better? Easy to explain things by showing them I think

Top Bottom