• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's Shield out of Dash

Juker

Smash Apprentice
I noticed this the other day; I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this. With Fox, it appears to be quicker to stop your momentum out of a dash with a shield, let the shield drop, then perform an action, than it is to dash and wait for the animation of the slide to go away before performing an action.

Basically, if you dash, shield, then say, down smash, it is quicker to get the down smash out than it would be to dash, slide, and down smash. Obviously this isn't the case with up smash, since it can be done out of shield, but it appears to be quicker for everything else.

Also, something else I noticed while I was messing around related to dashing, is that you can do a forward smash at the exact moment you pivot directions from a full sprint, it if it is in the same direction that you are trying to pivot. It comes out immediate from a full run in the same manor that an up smash will, but it only seems to work with a forward smash, and it has to be the opposite direction of where you are running towards your pivot - same exact idea as a pivot grab, but with a forward smash.

I tried seeing if shielding from dash into attacks was quicker with other characters and it seemed to be that it was dependent on the length of the slide that the character does after coming to a stop from running. Since Fox's is so long, it is quicker to stop your momentum with a shield, drop it, then input an attack, than just letting the stopping animation take place. When I tested it with Duck Hunt, it was slower because his stopping animation is so short.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah, the forward smash thing you found is called S-Smashing, you can cancel your foxtrot into a forward smash, theres a full video of it and how to do it here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LE1emLDAZ8)

I dunno about the speed of shield and then drop shield, but in general you should really avoid doing fox's slide animation, it really sucks and is something you should try to work around whenever you can.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
yeah, the forward smash thing you found is called S-Smashing, you can cancel your foxtrot into a forward smash, theres a full video of it and how to do it here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LE1emLDAZ8)

I dunno about the speed of shield and then drop shield, but in general you should really avoid doing fox's slide animation, it really sucks and is something you should try to work around whenever you can.
Yeah, his slide is awful. I actually think the dropping of the shield may be quicker with Duck Hunt as well, contrary to what I said before.

If dropping the shield actually is quicker, it could be useful as a mix up to dashing in and shield cancelling your momentum into rolling back that a lot of people use. I suppose it's still useful as a mix up regardless of whether or not it's quicker, but it's just an added bonus.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
If you start sliding, you can also do a short-hop -> fast-fall to stop the slide. It's not as fast as dash to shield, but it's useful if you mix it with a reverse aerial B-air. Also works for baiting things out from opponents.

Top Bottom