• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Video Thread

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Haven't used this account in years but my friends are recording matches. I'd also like some critique if possible. Ignore the multi-shine/double laser attempts. I use the break between stocks to practice things a lot. lol

These are all friendlies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj7Cp_5epb0
Blade (Fox) vs Chaser (Ganon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhYldqxAQCg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJtZ7K1kiUw
Blade (Fox) vs Chaser (Snake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskCJhwGJmM
Blade (Fox) vs Chaser (Link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qypulgPH4uA
Blade (Fox) vs Chaser (Pit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4BsZRhCs0
Blade (Fox) vs Chaser (ZSS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgsw4LaBaCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpiGlVsIn2g
Dr. Yogi (Mario) vs Blade (Fox)

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
Can't hang too well vs link in the video, huh blade?

Don't have them wave shines down?

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Can't hang too well vs link in the video, huh blade?

Don't have them wave shines down?
No I got wave shines down. Why I didn't use them is anyone's guess, (maybe I was trying different things, idk) lol.

Was there a change in the physics for PM 3.0? All the fast fallers feel very smooth in their movements. Faster and more responsive..maybe it's just me.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
To fox? Just the lasers last longer, but that's it.

The game 'feels' a little smoother, but there are no radical changes to mechanics.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
No I got wave shines down. Why I didn't use them is anyone's guess, (maybe I was trying different things, idk) lol.

Was there a change in the physics for PM 3.0? All the fast fallers feel very smooth in their movements. Faster and more responsive..maybe it's just me.

they do? oh god all i want now is PM to match melee in terms of "feels"

so does it feel a lot better? does wavedashing feel a little smoother now with fox?

Juker

Smash Apprentice
He felt different to me too; at first I thought it was that the corrected the 1 frame physics lag, but I read it hasn't been addressed. So now I'm just confused.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
they do? oh god all i want now is PM to match melee in terms of "feels"

so does it feel a lot better? does wavedashing feel a little smoother now with fox?
It feels more "free" if that makes sense. Like in football where you're practicing with heavy equipment and then you take it off and do the same drills. You don't feel that weight holding you back anymore and you feel like you can get away with more.

There may not be any changes but 3.0 is doing a fantastic job at fooling me because Wolf, C. Falcon, and Fox all had this new feeling to them when it came to movement and I liked it. :)

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
It feels more "free" if that makes sense. Like in football where you're practicing with heavy equipment and then you take it off and do the same drills. You don't feel that weight holding you back anymore and you feel like you can get away with more.

There may not be any changes but 3.0 is doing a fantastic job at fooling me because Wolf, C. Falcon, and Fox all had this new feeling to them when it came to movement and I liked it. :)

oh thank the based PMBR gods! now i really wanna play

thanks for responding! really wanted to know this

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'll contribute to this thread someday

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I have a few but I need them for critique more than anything else cause I just start messing around with Fox a few days ago and decided to bust it out.

Fox play begins around the 12:42 mark of the video

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I have a few but I need them for critique more than anything else cause I just start messing around with Fox a few days ago and decided to bust it out.

Fox play begins around the 12:42 mark of the video

you play a very basic fox strategy. Some more advanced players could have capitalized on that, and easily combo'd you or gimped you. Fox is top tier because of his versatility. Ideally, you should be able to pull off advanced tech if you wanted a high level competitive fox, but you don't necessarily have to. To make up for you lack of technical skill, you'll need to strengthen your other areas, such as reads movement, edgeguarding. Fox's greatest asset is his speed, not his shine combos, although they do help. Dash dance more, move faster in the neutral, and overall play a more dominating style. Against characters such as roy, who can out space fox in the neutral, this can be difficult to do but against ivy, you should really be rushing down more, in order to gain control of the match. You should really practice wavedashing out of shine into combos, so that you can guarantee some more percents from your punishes, and you should dash dance and shoot lasers more, in order to maintain positioning and stay in control of the stage. It wouldnt hurt to practice your tech skill either, so that shinegrabbing, shine combos, and shield pressuring are something that you can rely on, because if pulled off correctly, are extremely difficult to deal with.
Hope this helps.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yeah that is true and I know I play a basic Fox lol I only been playing him for a few days but I not new to Space Animals cause I play Falco in Melee as well as Project M that's why I do alot of Dairs lol. Outside of that what you think I did right?

Edit: Man I messed up on some tech skill stuff.

Last edited:

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that is true and I know I play a basic Fox lol I only been playing him for a few days but I not new to Space Animals cause I play Falco in Melee as well as Project M that's why I do alot of Dairs lol. Outside of that what you think I did right?

Edit: Man I messed up on some tech skill stuff.
you were very fluent and consistent, and were good at drawing your opponent on stage, which is good because fox is easily gimped towards the edges. You had solid approaches and dash danced very smartly.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
you were very fluent and consistent, and were good at drawing your opponent on stage, which is good because fox is easily gimped towards the edges. You had solid approaches and dash danced very smartly.
I see then well I thank you for the critique I will work on those things that you said to work on cause I got a tourney in which I am going to in 2 weeks and I wanna surprise folks with a new character.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I see then well I thank you for the critique I will work on those things that you said to work on cause I got a tourney in which I am going to in 2 weeks and I wanna surprise folks with a new character.
Best of luck, maybe post some videos, hope I helped.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLkqTp2RUs

My friend Rexx's Fox vs. my Link.

If you guys could, critique his play. You don't have to do it for the entire video, but anything helps.
He really needs to stop rolling so much. Fox is lightning fast, rolling is a free hit if he's next to someone. He should really dash dance more and coordinate his approaches. WD out of shield, rather than roll. Also, work on pressuring. After nair, shine, I dont understand why he wasnt. He's not a terrible fox, but he really should be keeping link out of the neutral, especially on a small stage like that, where fox has the upper hand. Pretty good though, I have a lot of experience with the link-fox matchup.

wendell

Smash Cadet
Yo fox boards, I need some tips with the roy MU, it's like I get ***** so hard that someone should post my matchs on xvideos with the tag ''animal hardcore''. I don't think in any safe aproach, and don't ask me why, sometimes I get grabbed after the nair - shine (and get gimped so badly...), please, critique my fox !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLAj-AmwSw

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Yo fox boards, I need some tips with the roy MU, it's like I get ***** so hard that someone should post my matchs on xvideos with the tag ''animal hardcore''. I don't think in any safe aproach, and don't ask me why, sometimes I get grabbed after the nair - shine (and get gimped so badly...), please, critique my fox !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLAj-AmwSw
You need to grab Roy more. Seeing as Roy is a fast faller, Fox can get a lot off on Roy from up-throw conversions and you don't have to worry about the character jumping away or mashing an aerial to get out. Also, running shine into Thunder's combo should work really well in this MU since Roy gets knocked down from shine. Also, you weren't respecting Roy's early up-b counters to your edgeguarding. The way to counter-act that is to just fake as if you're going to hit him offstage in order to bait out the early up-b and then hit him out of the tremendous cool down he has afterwards. Also, you can use grabs like back throw/forward throw near the ledge to get cheesy shine gimps since Roy's recovery is still pretty bad in this game. If you can read his jump after the throw, that's usually a free shine. If he doesn't jump, that usually means he's dipping low and trying to sweetspot up-b, to which you can just follow an attempt to shine. And if he early up-bs, I told you how to counter-act that.

Also, you dash attack a lot and though the Roy never really punished you for it (he never got any crouch cancel punishes, really), any Roy that knows how to abuse their character would have CC f-smashed, down-smashed, down tilted or something. I wouldn't suggest dash attacking against Roy too often

Edit: Also, here's a video of my Fox vs Darky, the Sonic player, in a Wi-Fi GFs set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLpiOGh6fJU

Last edited:

Animage

Smash Cadet
Would much appreciate critique
This was from a time where I was not sure about being a fox main yet, so I did a lot of switching to other characters when I shouldn't have
I'll try to critique some of you guys (despite being not that great) later, to contribute a bit to this thread (even though the vids are super old?)

Last edited:

Animage

Smash Cadet
(1st review, from a fox main that's probably worse than you, take critique with grain of salt as necessary)
(Also, I finished writing it, then i pressed backspace and it used back on my browser which deleted my critic, so i'm rewriting it with rly short sentences)
1. Mobility and approach
You don't wavedash like at all. You should use it more. refer to video "Fox movement tricks" on youtube
Since your movement isn't as on point as it could be, you rely a lot more on shffl/run up shine than other good approach options, like jc grab (btw use dair more too).
2. Neutral
The entire match, all you did in neutral was run up shffl/shine (don't upsmash directly after shine btw, it's extremely situational). I didn't see a single bait (in neutral) from you, and you should try to do that more (learning movement helps that). Try dash dancing in and out of your opponent's shffl nair range for example. Bait a sloppy nair, then jcgrab him when he misses it or something like that. See HomeMadeWaffle's spacing tutorial
Also, I see that neither of you like to use shield a lot, and that's really effective for dealing with shffl abusers or other players who blindly use unsafe approach options.
3. Conversions
after upthrow, instead of shine, try regrab (you can chaingrab fox like crazy) or up-smash or nair. Then again, you only grabbed like twice in the video so idk how good you really are at that.
See Zero's platform techchase tutorial if necessary

Hope it helped

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
(1st review, from a fox main that's probably worse than you, take critique with grain of salt as necessary)
(Also, I finished writing it, then i pressed backspace and it used back on my browser which deleted my critic, so i'm rewriting it with rly short sentences)
1. Mobility and approach
You don't wavedash like at all. You should use it more. refer to video "Fox movement tricks" on youtube
Since your movement isn't as on point as it could be, you rely a lot more on shffl/run up shine than other good approach options, like jc grab (btw use dair more too).
2. Neutral
The entire match, all you did in neutral was run up shffl/shine (don't upsmash directly after shine btw, it's extremely situational). I didn't see a single bait (in neutral) from you, and you should try to do that more (learning movement helps that). Try dash dancing in and out of your opponent's shffl nair range for example. Bait a sloppy nair, then jcgrab him when he misses it or something like that. See HomeMadeWaffle's spacing tutorial
Also, I see that neither of you like to use shield a lot, and that's really effective for dealing with shffl abusers or other players who blindly use unsafe approach options.
3. Conversions
after upthrow, instead of shine, try regrab (you can chaingrab fox like crazy) or up-smash or nair. Then again, you only grabbed like twice in the video so idk how good you really are at that.
See Zero's platform techchase tutorial if necessary

Hope it helped
At the moment I have been working on Spacing for a few weeks so I think I'm doing well with Falco and Wolf,Fox IDK yet. You play PM Wifi?

Animage

Smash Cadet
At the moment I have been working on Spacing for a few weeks so I think I'm doing well with Falco and Wolf,Fox IDK yet. You play PM Wifi?
nah dude sry :/
I don't own a pm setup lol (no crt)
I just go to smashfest/weeklies/friends to play nowadays
edit: If I did, i probably wouldn't play fox cuz it'll mess up my offline fox

Last edited:
Top Bottom