• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Techniques (Under Construction, Updated 04/09/08)

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I decided to put all the discovered techniques for Fox, and other broader techniques that Fox can use in one post. I'll try and either get or make videos for each. I may need some help finding who to give credit to so no one gets mad, but I doubt it'll be hard. If I make a mistake in here, please correct me. If someone finds something they think should be added in here, let me know.

Jump Shine
credit goes to t!mmy
Jump Shine - Demonstrational Video
This is under debate whether or not the jump needs to be performed, here's a link to a discussion on it. I don't really feel like reading through all of the pages of stuff on the jump shine, but it seems pretty clear you don't need the jump. What I did notice however, is that you do need the jump if you are planning on doing the shine in the start up dash animation; give it a try.

Laser Cancelling

I don't know who originally discovered this, but the video is from RaynEX
Laser Cancelling

Curved Firefox

Credit goes to Juker
Original Thread
Curved Firefox

Stationary fair
Credit goes to Juker
Original Thread
Stationary fair

Turn Around Grab

I don't know if credit really goes to anyone, I'm pretty sure Sakurai mentioned this. However, here's the original source I found
Turn around grab thread

RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush)
Originally posted by OonoiroO
Original Thread

A useful approach to someone who likes playing on the edge
I figured out a pretty good way to deal with someone who like to hold onto the edge of a stage and repeatedly drop the jump back up with an aerial, then catch the edge again and use the invulnerability frames to avoid getting hit.
Next time someone is doing that, right when then drop, dash off the edge and hit back on the c-stick. If they're high enough, you'll stage spike them and still have time to recover with an up b. Pretty handy against characters who can abuse the edge like DeDeDe.

Helicopter Jump
I don't really know who to give credit to with this, it seems a lot of people had noticed this in-game fairly soon after it's release, however, this link it to Jewdo's post.
Link
The Helicopter Jump, or whatever you want to call it, can not only be used for recovery, but at lower percentages it sets up for a combo into not only other aerials, but itself again as well. You can DI it quite well, which makes for good edgeguarding with it, and it can also be used well to get back on from the edge with. The best way to do this is usually to drop off the edge, and then hit jump and fair at the same time. It also does 23 damage which is higher than any of Fox's fully charged smashes, and if you're not including the burn and hit of Fox's Firefox as one move, then his fair is his most damages move.

Footstool Burn
Juker originally posted on this, however Nessbounder took it a step further and made it into a more damaging combo.
Original Thread
Footstool Burn

Autoland
Discovered by Candy and Gonzo
Original Thread
Autoland

Under Construction

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Actually Jewdo, I had noticed this earlier. It does have application because the extra arching distance achieved from the fair causes you to go futher in the air. Try testing it, stand at one end of Final D, do two jumps and land, then do it again with using the fair. You can also use this on your first jump of course, but the one with practicality is the second. I also think that there has been a thread on this already, I can try and find it later. Thanks for the info never the less.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. Tried it, loved it! Now just to work the HJ into my game somehow, if there is an application beyond recovery.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Well you don't really even need to jump cancel the shine; it's actually more about the timing. The best way is not to press the button as fast as you can. Play around with it and press it at an increasingly fast pace until you seem to get smallest pause between shines.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Sure thing RaynEX. I'm aware they aren't Fox techniques, but if you re-read the the first post, you'll notice I address that.

jasonw002

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seashell
3DS FC
4613-8751-4371
I understand that you don't need to jump cancel the shine and I am able to do it at aerial speeds on the ground...

I am practicing JC'd shines because I want to be able to do them in the startup dash animation, as this seems very useful.

I am having trouble doing this fast enough. I have been dashing forward, then sliding the control stick down, tapping y and then trying to slide to b, but most of the time the shine doesn't come out fast enough, and I end up hovering low in the air with the shine. If anyone could give me any tips to help me be able to shine fast enough after the jump to stay on the ground I would appreciate it. I'm not really slow b/c i was able to easily do JC'd grabs in Melee. I think im just having trouble with the combination of dashing and then immediately doing a JC'd shine.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
The easiest way to do it is to use your fingers in a arcade controller fashion: one finger on the x and the other on the b. This is annoying to do in the middle of a fight however since you have to change your controller grip. For this reason, I usually don't bother jump canceling the shine because I can't see a whole lot of reason for wanted to do it during the start-up animations. If you start chasing someone with a shine, the amount of space that the shine sends them is far enough that you won't need to do it in the start-up.

jasonw002

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seashell
3DS FC
4613-8751-4371
Thanks for the quick response. What you said did convince me that is not really necessary very often. The method you said is the same way I've been doing Lucas' Zap Jump except with Y instead of X.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
The easiest way to do it is to use your fingers in a arcade controller fashion: one finger on the x and the other on the b. This is annoying to do in the middle of a fight however since you have to change your controller grip. For this reason, I usually don't bother jump canceling the shine because I can't see a whole lot of reason for wanted to do it during the start-up animations. If you start chasing someone with a shine, the amount of space that the shine sends them is far enough that you won't need to do it in the start-up.
AKA 'the claw'.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
To do the jump shine I've changed my control setup by making Z special. I have found it works quite well.

And great post here, I'm looking forward to updates :)

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Juker who are you. you live in the same city and probably go to alta. i dont think i have ever seen you post on the utah thread.
Hah, I don't know if I ever have posted on the Utah thread. I have a buddy who does fairly often, I think his smashboards name is Zammos or something. I don't go to Alta, I go to the U actually.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
And thank you Super bacon807, although I do already have that listed, it's just under turn around grab. I may use the video though, thanks.

Lemoj

Smash Rookie
I use L for shield explicitly so I don't really use R, so I changed R to jump . Dash -> R+Down+B = Jump Shine. It's still hard to do though. Using R for jump makes SH alot easier too for me at least.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
I use L for shield explicitly so I don't really use R, so I changed R to jump . Dash -> R+Down+B = Jump Shine. It's still hard to do though. Using R for jump makes SH alot easier too for me at least.
That's a really good idea, for plenty of reasons. It's be useful if freeing up your thumb for quicker access to the a or b button. I'm gonna try this when I get home; the short hopping being easier seems like it'd make sense with the way the R button is set. Good thinking

super_bacon807

Smash Apprentice
And thank you Super bacon807, although I do already have that listed, it's just under turn around grab. I may use the video though, thanks.
I think the PWG may be different enough from the Turn Around Grab. Fox slides with the PWG, which allows for more range to grab, or escape should the grab miss, as opposed to the TAG, which involves no slide.

The two techniques are pretty similar, but I think they're different enough to be known as separate techniques.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I still slide. Give it a try, run in one direction, then quickly press the other direction coupled with z. It still provides a slide with the grab.

Top Bottom