• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox or shiek?

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
I really want to elevate my gameplay, which means I have to focus on one character at the moment.

the two characters I like most are fox and shiek.

I WANT REAL AWNSERS, no ( fox is better, end ) crap please.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why do you have to focus on one character? Just play them both and figure out for yourself which one feels more natural.

Reese

Smash Journeyman
Playing both charactors will grant you more flexibilty within a tournament. For example, If a player counterpicks your Fox with a Marth, then you can switch to Sheik.

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
I need for you to choose because as a whole ( removing myself ) you have a better background on it.

Also If you read it says at the moment. Options are fun.

And if I can be a tool, i'd be a hammer. Iunno.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Better background? I don't think anyone has more experience than you at being you.

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
Theres nothing saying " Choose my style " im just asking for assistance on who would be a better pick. Im picking these two off of examples of great players btw ( KDJ, m2k )

Razed

Smash Ace
Wow. I hate it when people ask stuff like this. It's your ****ed choice. What the hell are we supposed to tell you other than "this fox is better crap"? We don't know how you play in the least. You might as well be saying "Hey guys, I'm gonna be a tool and ask you what kind of ice cream I want to eat, because clearly you know my flavour preference better than I. And none of this "bubblegum, because it's tasty' crap, I want REAL answers!"

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
Obviously you have taken this the wrong way.

I dont trust the tiers SO I WAS ASKING WHICH ONE WOULD BE BETTER. And whatever the choice would add up points onto who I WOULD PICK. its a very complex, and clever system of things.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
These people are giving you a hard time because their is all this information on the site, and questions like yours come up very frequently. You seem new to melee, so you can just play with who you want, this could be both shiek and fox. When you know what every term in WAk's how to play vids you will have a better overall knoledge of the game. Use those techniques on both character. Get good at shuffling, especially with fox. Watch some pro vids of shiek and fox. Play against others with both characters. You will in the end know which one is your main. And you will be good with another character, which you also like. WIN WIN!

Edit: I myself main Fox. And one of my friends starting using Shiek, and I am now also learning Shiek. It seems like a valuable edition to my team.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, if you want to just pick a character based on a good player who plays that character, here's a list.

Fox - PC Chris, KoreanDJ, Mew2king, Chillin, Tink, LunInSpectra, CunningKitsune, Silent Wolf, Eggz
Sheik - Drephen, KoreanDJ, DSF, Isai, Nihonjin, Captain Jack

Clearly Fox is greater because I can remember more people playing him, therefore you should play Fox instead of Sheik. Go do it, because I said so and you asked for an answer.

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
False.

Don't let my number of posts account for my skill.

I am a dedicated smasher who has spent countless hours of a day practicing my technical skill.
This was on opinion who was better. There is nothing else to say its ether a yes or no awenser
I would like a little detail on why you say, why he/she is better.

THATS IT

No need to call me a tool
or a noob
or a noobish tool.

Razed

Smash Ace
Obviously you have taken this the wrong way.

I dont trust the tiers SO I WAS ASKING WHICH ONE WOULD BE BETTER. And whatever the choice would add up points onto who I WOULD PICK. its a very complex, and clever system of things.
Well guess what Dr. Science? THE TIERS ARE MADE FROM THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE SMASHERS IN THE COMMUNITY!!
"Hey guyz, i dun trust da pros, i wan randum upinins, jus so i can b moar acxurratted".

Honestly, you're being something I can't say under this site's censor. You say which one would be better? How the **** should we know beyond what the tier says (because the tier is right, *******!)? We don't know who you're most comfortable with, or have more fun playing, because tiers not included, that's the only thing that you can base you main on (even tiers included, actually).

Anyway, you asked a ******* question, you got an answer that should tell you to go with whoever YOU prefer, which is common sense. So just do that, and let this thread die.!

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you want to just pick a character based on a good player who plays that character, here's a list.

Fox - PC Chris, KoreanDJ, Mew2king, Chillin, Tink, LunInSpectra, CunningKitsune, Silent Wolf, Eggz
Sheik - Drephen, KoreanDJ, DSF, Isai, Nihonjin, Captain Jack

Clearly Fox is greater because I can remember more people playing him, therefore you should play Fox instead of Sheik. Go do it, because I said so and you asked for an answer.
Now your being mean. :urg:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Whoo, you have tech skill. Go you. So do 200 of the 250 people who entered MELEE-FC Diamond.

You keep twisting your question. First you ask who you should use, now you're asking which character is better.

Well, here's a hint: Fox isn't higher on the tier list for no reason.

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
Whoo, you have tech skill. Go you. So do 200 of the 250 people who entered MELEE-FC Diamond.

You keep twisting your question. First you ask who you should use, now you're asking which character is better.

Well, here's a hint: Fox isn't higher on the tier list for no reason.
I did O_o I thought I asked who was just better in basic.

( and please calm down, T.T theres no need to get mad at words. )

Razed

Smash Ace
I did O_o I thought I asked who was just better in basic.

( and please calm down, T.T theres no need to get mad at words. )
We're not getting mad at words, we're getting mad at you, because you're being a prick. Read my previous post if you want to know why (even though you should know).

Anywho, it's not that big of a deal, just don't be such ******* next time, and think before you ask questions that obviously make no sense.

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
Oky guys I think I understand what is with all this fighting.

Looking at my post I see I did in fact ask who to play. That was my bad, I ment who was better in general. ( Stat wise. ) I am trying to figure out if I should focus on my fox or shiek ( I main fox, and wanted to see if shiek would help me later on ) I don't trust tiers because I don't really understand how their made. ( Razed tried to explain it to me, but I couldn't quite understand it for some reason. )

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Spend time with either one and whichever feels better use em. None of them will make you good, only you will be the deciding factor. Learn advanced techs and/or any common move that may be used against you. Its for your own good. The main reason your thread had got so many flares was because of the variety of playstyles and because of that your question would be unanswerable.

Razed

Smash Ace
How tiers are made:

It is a list based on who would win if two players of equal skill level played against eachother. Thus, the best at the top, the worst faring at the bottom. Why didn't you just ask how tiers worked, or looked on pretty much any page of the Tier thread instead of this?

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
How tiers are made:

It is a list based on who would win if two players of equal skill level played against eachother. Thus, the best at the top, the worst faring at the bottom. Why didn't you just ask how tiers worked, or looked on pretty much any page of the Tier thread instead of this?
Thank you Awensering my question, I have looked at the page but most of the time its all confusing, I'll read two things at once and get mixed up. >.<

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
It's impossible to tell which characters are better, meaning the tier list. If your so good, you can obviously decide for yourself who to use.

orintemple

Smash Lord
If you don't play in metagame the tiers don't account for jack squat because no two people at lower levels of play are going to be the same skill. You could pick Bowser and still beat people if you are a better player, just look at someone like Gimpyfish. He plays Bowser, but he still wins matches because he is better than those he plays against. Until you get up into the top of skill where it tapers off and there can be no more increase the tiers won't matter for you. Now you said that Fox and Shiek were who you liked best, thats a good start. For me, I personally enjoy Shiek better because I have a hard time doing things accurately with Fox. For me Fox requires way too precision timing and it makes me feel uncomfortable with him. I don't know if that is the case for you but I prefer Shiek. If you have even a little habit of SDing with Fox, which is a very common problem for many people, you should go Shiek. If you are good at controlling Fox's speed and timing than go with him.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Even if I gave you an answer, would you really find that acceptable answer in the first place?
Also, the tier list is a list that is summed uped by the best in the community, if you don't believe it you go against the majority of people anyway, yes I know that sometimes for specific people it will vary but really.
Ok, lets say I told you to play fox?
Would you? Lets say I DID give you ample reason to play fox?
You still have to assume that this is information coming from me, in which I could completly suck at the game.
I can try to help you though if you tell me how you play I can usually go from there, tell me your preferences, like do you like power? tell me about you, pretty much.
Sheik and fox are pretty close tier related. If you really want to, flip a coin.
Head is fox, tails is sheik. If you truely think that they are equal you would obey the coin, if not and it lands on the other character and you feel doubt about it, you're probably wanting to pick the other character anyways in which case the coin flip was useless except to prove the fact that your preferences weren't truely equal in the first place.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Here are your choices. If you are having trouble deciding between them, roll a 6 sided die and refer to the chart.

1. Flip a coin.
2. Play them both.
3. Pick Fox, he has gay lasers.
4. Pick Sheik, she has gay needles.
5. **** the tier list. Pick Pichu.
6. Don't play either of them. Play a different high tier character, such as Marth, Falco, or Peach.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry I'm not being a prick btw.
Anyway, if you don't believe in the list you won't care for the stats either. The list comes from the utilization of the stats, in essence the stats created the tier list.
It's goes down to who YOU are, smash is a great game with a lot of different possibilities, I find it better to train with A LOT of characters, it does eventually come because you start to realize how you want to play in the first place.
I'm still here to help though, tell me how fox/sheik is going, and what kind of style in play you'd like to have.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Well put orintemple. That's exactly why i'm starting to go shiek. I feel to much pressure with Fox. With shiek you can string things together more simpler.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
How tiers are made:

The tier list is based on tournament rankings...

Coselm

Smash Ace
I main Sheik and Fox.

Fox is good in certain situations, Sheik in others.

In my opinion, sheik is easier to learn and get better with. Fox requires a lot more finger speed and knowledge about smash. With fox you are more likely to get jerked around by players who know what they are doing.

If you are just starting or relatively new, I suggest Sheik. Once it is too easy beating your friends with Sheik, start trying to do it with fox.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I main Sheik and Fox.

Fox is good in certain situations, Sheik in others.

In my opinion, sheik is easier to learn and get better with. Fox requires a lot more finger speed and knowledge about smash. With fox you are more likely to get jerked around by players who know what they are doing.

If you are just starting or relatively new, I suggest Sheik. Once it is too easy beating your friends with Sheik, start trying to do it with fox.
Agreed! Shiek is a GREAT beginner character because she is so overpowering against people who don't know how to deal with her while still being easy to learn at a lesser level. Fox is very difficult to learn because of his crazy input speeds that are used in order to pull of his combos. Shiek combos are more about predicting DI and aiming hits whereas a lot of Fox's combos require insane input that is very easy to mess up with. Also I find that it is very hard to play Fox well without being a more advanced player whereas Shiek you can start to do well quickly. They are both equally hard to master of course but Fox has a natural tendency to have a high level of play needed to play him effectively at all.

Top Bottom