• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Mains, learn to Waffle.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207154

I need to bring this to attention. Fox's is fast. Like... very fast.

Walking isn't a great option with Fox, but this is nearly as fast as his run. A full array of options from this is nothing less than amazing. Not quite as great as Marth's options from it, but as a character, we can benefit immensely from this.

And yes, I'm calling it waffling. Doop walking is fun, but I love me some waffles.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I shall look into it. I've done it before on accident and I was curious what I did.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Basically all I can see for uses is a faster "dash" D-smash or tilts. Maybe it'll prove useful sometime in the future but for now I'm not gonna bother implementing it.

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
I don't see much use for it, except it being a faster version of walking as an approach. I just like to use it as a taunt after I kill my opponent =P

Also, I don't think you can rename it if you didn't find it.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
It's not going to replace walking for spacing.

It'll be good for trying to close in on that tilt or smash, though.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Also, I don't think you can rename it if you didn't find it.
I refer you to the first post on page 3.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207154&page=3

It has several practical applications with Fox's tilt game, and the momentum gained during a dsmash is long enough to punish spot dodging, I believe.

It can be used like a pseudo-stutter step with his Fsmash, as well. Not that the move has a ton of use...

Veggi

Smash Champion
Chase your tail, Fox!

To post something useful, it looks effective for anything that won't be easily landed after a dash. Imagine avoiding a move and pivot grabbing someone with this. That would look so cool.

M@v

Subarashii!
If fox could do this at running speed I could see it being a lot more useful. Ill have try experiment with it.The main problem I see it might have is that your still approaching at a walking speed.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Let me just this so it will be off my chest....
Lol we look like Beyblades!

On topic: Ok i dont see too much use for this other than a quick pivotal grab. Maybe we could find a way to apply dtilt to this so people wont find useless.

M@v

Subarashii!
im trying it out now. Its SUPER easy to do. If you mess up, you will probably charge an fsmash. The major problem I see with this is that it puts my right hand in an akward position to do things.

maybe dance around with this and pull a suprise Fsmash is an application?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Switch a Trigger (L or R) to Attack.

Whenever you use any attack (including blaster) hold down the formentioned trigger.

Wallah, you can Waffle from it (Pivot Walk).

1. You can dash out of this whenever you want.
2. You can stop doing this whenever you want.
3. It can be shield canceled
4. Unlike Dashing this allows you to keep ALL of your options. Tilts AND smashes.
5. It looks funny so your opponent may be laughing their ***** off then eat a usmash.
6. You can do Pivot'd tilts from this. (quickly tilt during the pivot)
7. You can break into a boost pivot grab from this
8. You can break into a pivot grab from this
9. I'm running out of uses

tl;dr

Fox's is useful.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I gave this a try but I don't understand the hype behind this.
You have to be a moron to be mindgamed by this.
Why don't you just dash to and away from your opponent like crazy and instantly stop+smash with a stutter step smash? That would be more reliable than "waffling" or whatever you'd like to call it.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I gave this a try but I don't understand the hype behind this.
You have to be a moron to be mindgamed by this.
Why don't you just dash to and away from your opponent like crazy and instantly stop+smash with a stutter step smash?
It's faster than walking and you can smash/tilt out of it. Pretty useful, especially when you're trying to not stale you're usmash, and fsmash could make a pretty decent approach with this.
I can see it being extremely beneficiary if you become more fluid with it. I already had my Z set to attack, so it's very easy for me the execute. I just to need to get more used to doing it, and I don't see it doing anything but helping.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
It's faster than walking and you can smash/tilt out of it. Pretty useful, especially when you're trying to not stale you're usmash, and fsmash could make a pretty decent approach with this.
I can see it being extremely beneficiary if you become more fluid with it. I already had my Z set to attack, so it's very easy for me the execute. I just to need to get more used to doing it, and I don't see it doing anything but helping.
Nope. To attack out of it you must let go of A and make sure you're facing the right direction THEN smash or tilt.
It is all too time consuming and will be EXTREMELY easy for even a novice player to predict and avoid your attacks that come out of it. It's not gonna help you get any attacks in at all.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Nope. To attack out of it you must let go of A and make sure you're facing the right direction THEN smash or tilt.
It is all too time consuming and will be EXTREMELY easy for even a novice player to avoid your attacking that come out of it. It's not gonna help you get any attacks in at all.
You can just tap forward and it'll forward smash. Since I use Z, it's extremely easy and fast. I don't see how it's time consuming, you can attack right out of it. It's certainly another viable approach, and the more the merrier for Fox.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You can just tap forward and it'll forward smash. Since I use Z, it's extremely easy and fast. I don't see how it's time consuming, you can attack right out of it. It's certainly another viable approach, and the more the merrier for Fox.
You haven't even tried this, have you? If you tap forward (I imagine you mean on the c-stick) while you are holding the A button (you need to hold the A button to waffle) then you will automatically perform a fully charged smash attack. Holding A + c-stick forward executes a fully charged forward smash. Any noob can avoid that.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You haven't even tried this, have you? If you tap forward (I imagine you mean on the c-stick) while you are holding the A button (you need to hold the A button to waffle) then you will automatically perform a fully charged smash attack. Holding A + c-stick forward executes a fully charged forward smash. Any noob can avoid that.
Yes I have... just let go of A (or in my case, Z). It's not hard, and if it takes anything more than a millisecond... that's your own fault, haha.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Seriously, if you are coming anywhere near me with this weird tech, I'll be on my guard for a smash or tilt long before you decide to press the input for one. Fox's quick dash to u-smash is more fearsome than this absurdity will ever be.

Btw, this can be defeated with simple projectile spamming. So there you go.

K 2

Smash Lord
Possible use:

Waffle -> Fsmash, as in, fox waffles right into ike's fsmash.

But seriously, only noobs would get mindgame'd by this...

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Seriously, if you are coming anywhere near me with this weird tech, I'll be on my guard for a smash or tilt long before you decide to press the input for one. Fox's quick dash to u-smash is more fearsome than this absurdity will ever be.
It's really not that much different then just dashing. It's just a tad bit slower, and you aren't limited to usmash/dash attack. Just another approach option. Let's try not to get too heated, though.

And spamming won't stop this any more than it stops anything else.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Let's be real here. Brawl is about rushing in and capitalizing on the slightest bad movement or attack your opponent makes.

In order to begin the "waffle" you'll need to do a SH aerial so that you can be on the ground with the attack button pressed in without jabbing. By the time you do this, the opponent will be on their guard and never give you an opening of any kind unless they're a n00b.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Let's be real here. Brawl is about rushing in and capitalizing on the slightest bad movement or attack your opponent makes.

In order to begin the "waffle" you'll need to do a SH aerial so that you can be on the ground with the attack button pressed in without jabbing. By the time you do this, the opponent will be on their guard and never give you an opening of any kind unless they're a n00b.
Well, you could do it out of a roll, or after some SH laser spam. Both of these are pretty easy and efficient times to "activate" it.

But don't get me wrong, you could be right and this could be completely useless. I just think it's a handy little technique, could be useful to mix it up.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I messed around with it in tournament play today. It's genuinely useful if you take the time and effort to utilize it correctly.

Uses I've found (assuming Fox, Z set to attack)

Sh B-air slightly outside of punish range > Hold Z > Single Waffle towards > F-Tilt.
Pressures shield, and the approach on the F-tilt is much faster than walking in, or Dash shielding.

Sh D-air to back of opponent, holding Z. If Shielded, Single waffle away, Ftilt in the opposite direction. Replace Ftilt with Dsmash/utilt if they dash toward you. If not shielded, combo as normal.

----

If you think of the move not as a replacement for walking, but as a quick boost in one direction, with a full range of moves out of it, the practicality really shows. It's quite similar to WD'ing in usefulness. People who seek to approach with it 100% of the time are going to get punished extremely easy. It's in the sublety of it how people are going to be able to capitalize.

K 2

Smash Lord
The only use of "waffle" is for the IC's to quickly desync. Other than that, any practical applications is nonexistant.

M@v

Subarashii!
Im going to throw this into my game for the next tournament I go to and see how it works. Im only going to use it to throw them off and go "wtf is that?"

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I messed around with it in tournament play today. It's genuinely useful if you take the time and effort to utilize it correctly.

Sh B-air slightly outside of punish range > Hold Z > Single Waffle towards > F-Tilt.
Pressures shield, and the approach on the F-tilt is much faster than walking in, or Dash shielding.

Sh D-air to back of opponent, holding Z. If Shielded, Single waffle away, Ftilt in the opposite direction. Replace Ftilt with Dsmash/utilt if they dash toward you. If not shielded, combo as normal.

----

If you think of the move not as a replacement for walking, but as a quick boost in one direction, with a full range of moves out of it, the practicality really shows. It's quite similar to WD'ing in usefulness. People who seek to approach with it 100% of the time are going to get punished extremely easy. It's in the sublety of it how people are going to be able to capitalize.
QFT

10truths

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
The only use of "waffle" is for the IC's to quickly desync. Other than that, any practical applications is nonexistant.
Stop making that kind of assumptions, you have no idea what kind of uses this technique might provide. No one is even close to mastering it, and this is probably best used as tech chasing or something, not approaching (unless you're playing as Kirby or someone else with a low crouch when facing a laser spamming Falco noob, ofc). I will mostly use this to confuse noobs anyways, as none of my mains has any use for it, sadly.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
This stuff looks useful, the only think i find hard it's doing it, you have to be pressing to many buttons XD

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

----

Exactly. To dismiss this as useless is, well... wrong. It opens up many things, and I can't see it doing anything but help when used efficiently.

M@v

Subarashii!
ehhhh...I havent found any practical uses for this. The ones I have found are very situational. Back to the drawing board....

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
This technique is useless and impractical. At least as it stands now.

I'm fooling with it now to see what I can come up with.

Top Bottom