• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox illusion shorten

tauKhan

Smash Lord
You need to press b after fox starts moving. There is no other way to learn them than practicing the different timings of shortens, you pretty much need to be frame perfect to achieve the illusion length you want. The shortest one has a bigger window, but I don't remember if it's more than 2 frames.

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
The timing is a lot later than you think. When I learned to shorten, I was pressing B to cancel prematurely.

I press it the moment before Fox begins to move. You can listen to the ding or wait before Fox starts the animation

tauKhan

Smash Lord
But I have bad timing with Frames though
It's something you will learn if you do them often enough. It's only matter of repetition. I haven't even ever mained fox and only use him occasionally in friendlies, but I still learned shorten after playing enough.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
This is more for Falco.
For Fox l wait for the *swoosh* sound.
This. Falco's shorten vs Fox's shorten have different timings. After trying to shorten Fox's side-b for months and not being able to do so consistently, I tried Falco's shorten and I can do it with 100% consistency. Falco's shorten is an earlier timing so I was always doing Fox's shorten too early by just a few frames

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
The timing is a lot later than you think. When I learned to shorten, I was pressing B to cancel prematurely.

I press it the moment before Fox begins to move. You can listen to the ding or wait before Fox starts the animation
Also it's important to know that this time is slightly flexible. Once you hear the sound paired with the tiny star flash animation onscreen after initiating your side b, you can begin to cancel at this point. Pressing b again at different times depends on how quickly it's canceled, and thus, the distance traveled.

Play around with it a bit when you get consistent at canceling. It's a good technique to force an opponent to whiff moves. The sound from the attack is usually enough to force your opponent into bad situations.

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
If you mash 60 times a second aka one button press per frame you will be consistent, otherwise no.
So it's a frame perfect input then? And opting for a single input on a specific frame, a 1/60 chance, is somehow more consistent then mashing over the course of the start of the animation? Am I missing something here? Because that sounds insanely hard.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
So it's a frame perfect input then? And opting for a single input on a specific frame, a 1/60 chance, is somehow more consistent then mashing over the course of the start of the animation? Am I missing something here? Because that sounds insanely hard.
It's not exactly frame perfect. If you hit the b button before the sound effect it can result in a flash cancel failure and fox will proceed to complete the attack at full length. After the sound effect and starlight animation appear, you have a short time to input b again. This input is slightly flexible, and when the b button is pressed will determine how short fox's cancel will become. Mashing isn't consistent and will prove to be a failure most of the time.

I can tell you with certainty that you will be consistent at it if you just practice your timing at canceling the attack. Plenty of people here can do it, and so can you if you're willing to put time into practicing.

Zoler

Smash Ace
It's not exactly frame perfect. If you hit the b button before the sound effect it can result in a flash cancel failure and fox will proceed to complete the attack at full length. After the sound effect and starlight animation appear, you have a short time to input b again. This input is slightly flexible, and when the b button is pressed will determine how short fox's cancel will become. Mashing isn't consistent and will prove to be a failure most of the time.

I can tell you with certainty that you will be consistent at it if you just practice your timing at canceling the attack. Plenty of people here can do it, and so can you if you're willing to put time into practicing.
It is frame perfect, you need to press the exact frame to get the distance you want. There's 4 different ones each only lasting for 1 frame each, unless I'm mistaken.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
It is frame perfect, you need to press the exact frame to get the distance you want. There's 4 different ones each only lasting for 1 frame each, unless I'm mistaken.
There is 4, as the time to cancel occurs between frames 20 and 24, but it's not frame perfect to the point that it has to be canceled on one exact frame. That's what the other poster was trying to understand (in terms of it being a frame perfect cancel). As there are 4 different frames to press b on, which frame you press the button on will determine the length of the illusion, as fox starts moving away on the 21st frame of the animation. With this, it allows a small amount of flexibility within those frames.

Last edited:

Zoler

Smash Ace
I would say that the flexibility is huge and basically makes foxs recovery OP if you can do it frame perfect consistently.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how canceling his illusion makes his recovery overpowered. It shortens travel distance, not increase it... It's helpful during ledge stalling, and useful for mind games, but that's basically it.

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how canceling his illusion makes his recovery overpowered. It shortens travel distance, not increase it... It's helpful during ledge stalling, and useful for mind games, but that's basically it.
The main reason is good is because it's a mixup. Especially if you never play against people who know how to shorten consistently. You'll always try to cover the long illusion, but shortening and sweetspotting it is an excellent option

Zoler

Smash Ace
Because it's hard to cover both long side-b and short at the same time, you have to guess.

Top Bottom