• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm going to Big House hopefully
Aren't you going to Big House?
Need Sheik practice

And yes I remember far too well
*Fetal position*

Bones0

Smash Legend

Proskater

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how the wavedash out part is any different than if you single shined.
Getting your hand back to neutral so you can wavedash out after multishines takes some getting used to. That's it though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Why do you have to change your hands? Only reason I could see it being an issue is if you switch to claw to multishine and WD with R.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I quickly move my left hand over top of the controller so I can hold down with my left pinky and press Y with my left index finger. It's way better than just moving your thumb back and forth from Y and B.
This sounds like a lot of legwork. I'll try it.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I don't see how the wavedash out part is any different than if you single shined.
but everyone single shines, thats why we call it mixing it up

I can imagine some pretty scary looking pressure strings with shortened waveshines and platforms

and it sure beats the old method of hurrdurr doubleshine full jump out, lose any pressure I just tried to create hurrdurr (hate that)

Proskater

Smash Apprentice
Why do you have to change your hands? Only reason I could see it being an issue is if you switch to claw to multishine and WD with R.
I shift my hand up slightly to multishine so my thumb can have more freedom. It might just be me, although I do believe it's definitely more difficult to do the waveshine after a multishine than after one shine. Shifting your focus back from multishine to wavedash takes effort. It's not the same as a regular waveshine. It's hard to explain for me, but if you don't experience the same thing, I guess you don't have to worry about it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
but everyone single shines, thats why we call it mixing it up

I can imagine some pretty scary looking pressure strings with shortened waveshines and platforms

and it sure beats the old method of hurrdurr doubleshine full jump out, lose any pressure I just tried to create hurrdurr (hate that)
Oh, well I was talking about application. The applicability of WD out of double shine isn't expanded hardly at all from just regularly WDing out of shine. You can't really apply the WD out any differently. The benefit of the mixup is all in the second shine, not the WD.

If you're just saying most people don't utilize WDing or jumping appropriately out of double shine enough, I'd agree. I haven't had trouble with it for a while now myself though (woot).

I shift my hand up slightly to multishine so my thumb can have more freedom. It might just be me, although I do believe it's definitely more difficult to do the waveshine after a multishine than after one shine. Shifting your focus back from multishine to wavedash takes effort. It's not the same as a regular waveshine. It's hard to explain for me, but if you don't experience the same thing, I guess you don't have to worry about it.
If it's just your focus limiting you, you'll get it in time. I used to be the same way, but if you just sit down and practice it, it eventually becomes second nature. A helpful way of thinking about doing it is to realize that the timing of the airdodge for a perfect WD and of the shine for a multishine are exactly the same (first airborne frame). Then you just begin to substitute in a trigger press in for the B in your sequence. Once you can do that, you just start adding in the angles to actually move with your WD instead of airdodging straight down.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
When I was warming up to fight Eggz last tournament because he was taking too long trying to find his music, I tried to thunders combo a CPU Falco oos and did it 10-20 times in a row :o

I still don't go for it in regular matches unless I'm fighting someone significantly worse than me though :< I should change that.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
If you're just saying most people don't utilize WDing or jumping appropriately out of double shine enough, I'd agree. I haven't had trouble with it for a while now myself though (woot).
This for sure

But yea, since I'm trying to do it on shields, I need to get ds->wd back down (cuz why would I move forward usually unless I hit em), I can absolutely for the life of me never get it though, some weird arse stuns and turns in that one.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I'd hate to turn him down, but I don't quite know how much running the second stream will actualy take from my playing time, even my singles time is kinda tight, thanks for offer though, ^_^

bolt.

Smash Ace
If it's just your focus limiting you, you'll get it in time. I used to be the same way, but if you just sit down and practice it, it eventually becomes second nature. A helpful way of thinking about doing it is to realize that the timing of the airdodge for a perfect WD and of the shine for a multishine are exactly the same (first airborne frame). Then you just begin to substitute in a trigger press in for the B in your sequence. Once you can do that, you just start adding in the angles to actually move with your WD instead of airdodging straight down.
Proskater wasn't saying that he couldn't do it he was saying newer players would have a difficult time with the inputs. It makes sense because at that point you are still trying to develop the dexterity to perform the multishine by itself.

Proskater is a multishine master!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Proskater wasn't saying that he couldn't do it he was saying newer players would have a difficult time with the inputs. It makes sense because at that point you are still trying to develop the dexterity to perform the multishine by itself.

Proskater is a multishine master!
What? He definitely said he struggled with it because of how he presses the buttons...

Bones0

Smash Legend
In the post that I originally quoted...

G

genkaku

what do you do when sheik is putting jabs in weird places? I was spacing dtilts when I anticipated it but I feel like there should be a better solution.

Van.

Smash Ace
I've been in a really frustrating phase vs. falcon where I'm really struggling to tech consistently. I often gift-wrap missed tech-->knees because I'm trying to lcancel a dair or early nair that he shieldgrabbed, and I often find myself blowing tech windows in the middle of reactive tech chases with bad habits like shielding or doing dash-->WD. Obviously these things can be replaced with the easy/rapeable options like shine/jump, but these are pretty predictable and punishable.

Can anyone remember being in a phase like this? If so, how did you get out? I mean i know don't get grabbed/have bad habits, but obv you're going to get hit sometimes. Do you more experienced foxes react to getting grabbed by mentally cancelling your lcancel? is this something that can be completely eliminated, or is it just part of the mu and has to be accepted?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
No ... just stop being so surprised when you misspace something ...

If you're actively thinking about your moves and not just autopiloting you should usually know when you misspace something when you do a move and it whiffs

If you're getting shieldgrabbed then stop messing up tech skill

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I've been in a really frustrating phase vs. falcon where I'm really struggling to tech consistently. I often gift-wrap missed tech-->knees because I'm trying to lcancel a dair or early nair that he shieldgrabbed, and I often find myself blowing tech windows in the middle of reactive tech chases with bad habits like shielding or doing dash-->WD. Obviously these things can be replaced with the easy/rapeable options like shine/jump, but these are pretty predictable and punishable.

Can anyone remember being in a phase like this? If so, how did you get out? I mean i know don't get grabbed/have bad habits, but obv you're going to get hit sometimes. Do you more experienced foxes react to getting grabbed by mentally cancelling your lcancel? is this something that can be completely eliminated, or is it just part of the mu and has to be accepted?
no I always try to l-cancel aerials

I just don't hard-press the shoulder button so I can still tech

but yeah, on a more big-picture level, it sounds like you aren't good at immediately realizing you ****ed up; this is a skill you need to develop and you can do so by focusing harder

Top Bottom