• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

G

genkaku

I thought leffen was being nice to a new player for a sec but it was really just bones0.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I actually did some pretty nifty combos recently involving dash attacks though as Falco but since we are on the subject. (It's the same principle) It seems to be an option to techchase relatively easy if you aren't super confident doing more crazy reads. Other than that, I mean I think it's a good option to chain attacks after doing it. It's good ****. Utilt at low percent also very good to chain more attacks.

But from what I remember this is like 03-04 stuff lol.

kd-

Smash Lord
Champ combo is pretty good.

Why is 'on platforms' one of the worst places to use dash attack? Assuming your opponent isn't waiting underneath to punish, dash attack seems like a decent tech chase-ish followup, sort of "safe" due to the small amount of room to maneuver on the platform, and at worst a risk-reward in either popping the opponent up into open air or you getting punished in open air.

Also, Bones is too good.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Because it's pretty much impossible to follow up when the opponent is sent off the platform after a dash attack and also dash attack is super slow to techchase with, there's far better options to cover the platform as you are techchasing, it's not reliable at all to do on platforms.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Ah but there are options to cover when they go off! A properly fast falled nair will hit them, leading into an usmash if they DI in or edgeguard in any other case.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Dash attack isn't slow to techchase with cuz dash attack has like 4 (or was it 5?) frame startup. In any case it's at least 2 frames faster than techchasing with grab

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya but you have to take the time to get on the platform too, why would you give up your positional advantage to get something with high risk, low reward?

Also you get stuck in the animation of the dash attack on the platform if you do it on the edge of the platform which is very likely to happen, you can't even cross up with it. lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Kage, the point is to do something like uthrow, they land on the platform, uair, usmash they DI to the middle platform, you techchase with nair->dash attack then follow up the dash attack by dash shffl nair->usmash or edgeguard.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Ya but you have to take the time to get on the platform too, why would you give up your positional advantage to get something with high risk, low reward?
Oh. Well you didn't say that lol, you just said "dash attack is super slow to techchase with." I guess I have a hard time understanding your Canadian sentence structures.

kd-

Smash Lord
I cant see this happening... Show me a vid where someone uses dash attack on a platform and actually does something good with it.
Yo Kage thanks for the responses. I can see your point, just going to specify that I'm not arguing with you, just offering a different point of view for a sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WNpvxatCY&t=5m5s

This would fall under my 'sort of "safe"' option that I was talking about, as Mango is forced off the ledge. After teching he might have been able to upair or maybe even uptilt, but was kind of put in an awkward situation and shielded. Jman was able to pressure with the drop down aerial and eventually get the kill.

I believe what you're saying is that it's better to aerial below, which is what Jman did all game (and set for that matter). I remember KirbyKaze saying how good Fox upair from underneath the platform is, and aerials from below the platform, if used right, is a really good option and could be better than dash attack. I think though, in situations where the Fox puts on pressure and gets a knockdown on a platform, can do a waveland tech-chase on that platform and get a grab or dash attack, similarly to Sheik. In the dash attack case, if the opponent properly DIs then he/she will fly too far away to follow up on like you said (certain situations withstanding), but that lends itself to an edgeguard opportunity which may be worth it anyway.

Eclectic Echo

Smash Apprentice
On platforms? Why would you dash attack?

Last resort I guess if you decide to waveland

:phone:
Well, if you're tech chasing, and the the situation arises where they roll in toward the stage on either the outside platforms, that's when a dash attack can be used. Prop them up nice on the top platform. I've seen it happen and you can easily follow up with something.

Lovage

Smash Hero
never a reason to dash attack on a platform LOL

just waiting for their tech underneath the platform and then and bairing is what u want to do like 99% of the time.
use uair instead if it'll combo into itself

unknown522

Some guy
pretty much.

Oh yeah, something to be wary of vs other spacies:

if you tech chase with u-air when they're on a platform, they can CC the first hit and shine you. It doesn't come up a lot, but I have been death combo'd by falco a couple of times because of that. Other characters can shield after CCing it, but once again it doesn't seem to happen too often

Lovage

Smash Hero
how/why are they TECHING as you are already grounded on the top platform

that situation will like never ever happen lol, this whole thing is when theorycrafting goes wrong lol, riveting discussion

unknown522

Some guy
how/why are they TECHING as you are already grounded on the top platform

that situation will like never ever happen lol, this whole thing is when theorycrafting goes wrong lol, riveting discussion
oh, if they don't tech then yeah that's an easy u-air.

But you know when you throw the opponent onto a platform and they tech? That's what I was talking about

Bing

Smash Master
oh dear...

Why would you dash attack on a platform? Thats just asking to get punished, I feel like theres so many better options :S Like hell, with the scenario you gave, I'd rather just like.. Run up and grab them.. or Jab grab...

Also yes, Viper is defs a troll...

Top Bottom