• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Results from Genesis, biggest recent national Brawl tourney:
1. Ally - Snake - $2,336
2. M2K - Meta Knight - $1,460
3. Tyrant - Meta Knight - $876
4. Dojo - Meta Knight - $584
5. ADHD - Diddy Kong - $233
6. DEHF - Falco - $175
7. Fiction - Wario - $118
8. SK92 - Falco - $59
9. Judge - Meta Knight
9. Lain - Ice Climbers/King Dedede
9. Ultimate Razer - Snake
9. UTD Zach - Game & Watch

Since I'm very involved in the Brawl community, I obviously have my own opinions, but I have no intention of using this opening post as a pulpit. I may throw my thoughts in after some discussion.

I will go ahead and say though, that the idea of allowing a poll totally open to the public to have an impact on the decision is foolish and silly. I took a random sampling of some votes for both sides; 60% of the pro-ban voters and 40% of the anti-ban voters in my small sample had less than 20 posts and were accounts made in June or July. Making any sort of decision like this is unprecedented and makes the community look like the joke that lots of other people seem to think it is.
From Chocolate Pi on Sirlins forums. So yeah, let me ask a question. If everyone thinks your ********, don't you think it's possible you are?

Yawnbored

Smash Rookie
Wow, TWO people with psychic powers? ****, for knowing nothing about me, you sure predicted my lack of other fighter experience! Not only yhat, you just know this must represent the whole community as well! ****!

And apparently, Smash being "different" then other fighters now means that Smash is "SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD." Funny, I don't remember typing it that way, but maybe it translates that way in the language of *******ery.

Dude,You just ****ing assumed I and a large portion of this community have never played another fighter while knowing jack-nothing about me. Me>you, based solely on the virtue that I don't spew BS out of my mouth.
It was never stated that you did type that. It sounded more like generalized complaining.

Because a good deal of the time, it has truth behind it. It makes me cringe and I feel physical pain when I hear people act like spacing doesn't matter in other fighters. True story.

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
Oh. That's kind of strange. Then why not just have MK tournaments and non-MK tournaments for awhile. Wouldn't that work out? Or is it still impossible? :dizzy:

Or would that just lead to further division and then lead the Brawl community into an endless spiral of destruction? If so, I don't even know what to say...
Xyro has banned metaknight in his hobo tourneys, there was one recently.

The biggest issue with metaless tourneysis that they are viewed by some as illegitimate.
If top players refuse to attend these tourneys then it's pointless.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Ok then, what other fighters have you played competitively?
SC2 3 and 4(although I've dropped 3), MvC2, SFII, SFIV (only recently picking this up), SFAlpha3 (long since dropped though, no one plays, lol), MK3 (but this was before we all figured out that the MK series actually sucks), Tekken Tag, Tatsunoku vs Capcom (although I'm only going to fully get into this once the NoA release arrives), and I may be picking up BlazBlue, if the community around here actually gets into it.
And I've played every other fighter under the sun, from KoF to ****ty fighter like War Gods.

Not that listing any of that matter, as I could be lying through my teeth, since this is the Internets. But I'll try to be nice-I understand that you think most of the Smash community has never played another fighter. And no doubt, some of them probably haven't. But making such bold claims as you are is ignorant, stupid, and attempts to mock a whole community with sweeping statemets that have no merit.

Trolls sure are cute when they aren't funny. You are even attempting to defeat our points, all you do is insult us, g'day.
You have GOT to be kidding me. HE comes here, spouts non-sense, broad generalizations, and SAYS several times that he doesn't give a crap about this community and wishes for it's death, AND I'M the troll?

And this, ladies and gents, is how the smash community will fail, if it ever does: not because of a character, but because of the people.

Yawnbored

Smash Rookie
Xyro has banned metaknight in his hobo tourneys, there was one recently.

The biggest issue with metaless tourneysis that they are viewed by some as illegitimate.
That's awful. Then we'll never know. Unless some of us practice enough to become big timers I suppose. :laugh: Well, I tried, but it seems that everything has already been thought out beforehand... I'm not trying to sound sore, but is everyone here always so... Perpetually disgruntled?

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
From Chocolate Pi on Sirlins forums. So yeah, let me ask a question. If everyone thinks your ********, don't you think it's possible you are?

I have no idea what you just tried to prove. Apparntly low post count and recent joinging dates=people that know nothing? Dude, I only have a 75 post count and joined back in August, and I've been with this game (and Melee) from day 1, go to tournys bi-weeklys (if not weekly) and travel OoS. The correlation between the two is without merit. That's like saying karma on GameFAQS has correlation to intelligence.

But to answer your question, if the people doing the accusations are ******* to begin with, then no, I don't.

...But Dojo and other tops players WERE there. And you don't need to have M2K or whatever there day and night to make a tournament legitimate, fun, and to see how good you are/have become.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
SC2 3 and 4(although I've dropped 3), MvC2, SFII, SFIV (only recently picking this up), SFAlpha3 (long since dropped though, no one plays, lol), MK3 (but this was before we all figured out that the MK series actually sucks), Tekken Tag, Tatsunoku vs Capcom (although I'm only going to fully get into this once the NoA release arrives), and I may be picking up BlazBlue, if the community around here actually gets into it.
And I've played every other fighter under the sun, from KoF to ****ty fighter like War Gods.
You played all these competitively? I'm not saying just played them. Because seriously, it's pretty much impossible to play "every other fighter under the sun" competitively. Like, I've played MVC2, my friends even thought I was good at it! Yet, I've never played it competitively.

Not that listing any of that matter, as I could be lying through my teeth, since this is the Internets. But I'll try to be nice-I understand that you think most of the Smash community has never played another fighter. And no doubt, some of them probably haven't. But making such bold claims as you are is ignorant, stupid, and attempts to mock a whole community with sweeping statemets that have no merit.
Except the things I'm mentioning are proved time and time again in topics like these everyday. You ask someone to learn about competitive gaming, you link them to great articles with tons of great information for really smart people. What do you get in response? "This is smash man, that crap don't matter."

You have GOT to be kidding me. HE comes here, spouts non-sense, broad generalizations, and SAYS several times that he doesn't give a crap about this community and wishes for it's death, AND I'M the troll?
I actually care A LOT about the smash community. The sooner Brawl dies the better it will be.

And this, ladies and gents, is how the smash community will fail, if it ever does: not because of a character, but because of the people.
Nah, we actually have a good game to fall back on.

I have no idea what you just tried to prove. Apparntly low post count and recent joinging dates=people that know nothing? Dude, I only have a 75 post count and joined back in August, and I've been with this game (and Melee) from day 1, go to tournys bi-weeklys (if not weekly) and travel OoS. The correlation between the two is without merit. That's like saying karma on GameFAQS has correlation to intelligence.
Wow, seriously? Are you really just here to troll? While some random people might know what there talking about, deciding the fate of the game on a pool of random Internet forum users is ********. If you couldn't see that I don't even know. The fact of the matter is, a lot of these people with low post counts, just joined ARE people that don't know all the facts. Like people posting things like "tornado is too good, he should be banned."

But to answer your question, if the people doing the accusations are ******* to begin with, then no, I don't.
Yes, EVERYONE ELSE IS THE PROBLEM.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Why was this thread made again?

I don't remember. Has something to do about Meta Knight I heard.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
You played all these competitively? I'm not saying just played them. Because seriously, it's pretty much impossible to play "every other fighter under the sun" competitively. Like, I've played MVC2, my friends even thought I was good at it! Yet, I've never played it competitively.
No no, only the games in the top paragraph-I have PLAYED just about every fighter, but only the top paragraph competively. Even then, some of them are defunct now (find me large groups of SFA3 players doing anything recently) or I've only begun to dabble in (BlazBlue).
The point was that I DO have literally decade worth of competitive fighter experience.

Except the things I'm mentioning are proved time and time again in topics like these everyday. You ask someone to learn about competitive gaming, you link them to great articles with tons of great information for really smart people. What do you get in response? "This is smash man, that crap don't matter."
To be fair, they are half-right. You will definitely have an easier time understanding mechanics of, say, Brawl if you have previous fighters, since, as you said, they share core characteristics. However, the gap of how most of these mechanics are used vary(Read: Vary, not better) so far in Smash from "conventional fighters" that making these comparison help with nothing. Yes spacing is important in all fighters, but how, say, comparing how Spider-Man spaces from Magneto in terms to how Snake spaces from MK helps with nothing. And for everytime you've heard "This is smash man, that crap don't matter," I promise "MK isn't nearly as broken as X character" has been said at least twice.

I actually care A LOT about the smash community. The sooner Brawl dies the better it will be.
But you DO understand that some, in fact, many people enjoy this game, right? Wishing death upon a game simply because you think it's for the best of a community isn't righteous, it's trolling and wrong. I didn't like SC3 compared to SC2, but I didn't desire it's downfall. I played my respective game and buttoned my mouth. Which is what you and anyone else with the same thoughts should *kindly* do. It solves nothing otherwise.

Wow, seriously? Are you really just here to troll? While some random people might know what there talking about, deciding the fate of the game on a pool of random Internet forum users is ********. If you couldn't see that I don't even know. The fact of the matter is, a lot of these people with low post counts, just joined ARE people that don't know all the facts. Like people posting things like "tornado is too good, he should be banned."

Yes, EVERYONE ELSE IS THE PROBLEM.
*sigh* OBVIOUSLY the polls don't matter, or else he would have been banned by Poll #1, and I have never expressed that this poll will matter. In fact, I said just a few pages ago that this, what I, you, or what anyone else says is pointless. So again, PLEASE read and stop putting words into people's mouths. Because assuming I or anyone else hasn't played X fighter, that I or anyone else would honestly wish MK's banning simply because of Tornado, or....you know what? Screw it, this is going in circles. What I posted won't be read through entirely, anyways.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
No no, only the games in the top paragraph-I have PLAYED just about every fighter, but only the top paragraph competively. Even then, some of them are defunct now (find me large groups of SFA3 players doing anything recently) or I've only begun to dabble in (BlazBlue).
The point was that I DO have literally decade worth of competitive fighter experience.
It just seemed very strange for you to tell me (paraphrased) "Missing the point that smash is so different from other fighters."
To be fair, they are half-right. You will definitely have an easier time understanding mechanics of, say, Brawl if you have previous fighters, since, as you said, they share core characteristics. However, the gap of how most of these mechanics are used vary(Read: Vary, not better) so far in Smash from "conventional fighters" that making these comparison help with nothing. Yes spacing is important in all fighters, but how, say, comparing how Spider-Man spaces from Magneto in terms to how Snake spaces from MK helps with nothing. And for everytime you've heard "This is smash man, that crap don't matter," I promise "MK isn't nearly as broken as X character" has been said at least twice.
Not even what I mean. I'm just talking about the basic stuff. Like having a good rule set, accepting your losses, playing to win. Not crying for ban when things don't go your way.
But you DO understand that some, in fact, many people enjoy this game, right? Wishing death upon a game simply because you think it's for the best of a community isn't righteous, it's trolling and wrong. I didn't like SC3 compared to SC2, but I didn't desire it's downfall. I played my respective game and buttoned my mouth. Which is what you and anyone else with the same thoughts should *kindly* do. It solves nothing otherwise.
Do you even know what trolling is? Hoping for an outcome is nothing like trolling. How many times are you going to throw out words used wrong? Trolling is trying to incite flames. No one seemed to get angry by the fact that I would want Brawl to die. Most people are well aware that a lot of people share that opinion. And no, no one has any reason to play a bad game. Countless other good games are ready to be played, no reason for me to waste time with Brawl. Same reason I haven't seriously touched SC in years. And why exactly can't we mention a game is bad? Are we supposed to let people play a bad game? You don't think tons of people spoke out about how SC3 was dumb in a bunch of ways?
*sigh* OBVIOUSLY the polls don't matter, or else he would have been banned by Poll #1, and I have never expressed that this poll will matter. In fact, I said just a few pages ago that this, what I, you, or what anyone else says is pointless. So again, PLEASE read and stop putting words into people's mouths. Because assuming I or anyone else hasn't played X fighter, that I or anyone else would honestly wish MK's banning simply because of Tornado, or....you know what? Screw it, this is going in circles. What I posted won't be read through entirely, anyways.
It obviously mattered since this one decided on the ban issue. Which is my whole point. It NEVER should have been decided like this. And I find it hilarious that you keep telling me to read, when you are the one that really needs to do that. Someone did EXACTLY say that MK should be banned because of Tornado right in the midst of our argument. Again, proving my point that Internet poll to decide rule set=********.

Esopus

Smash Rookie
Your mom knows what a troll is, I explained it to her last night in intimate detail

edit: did I really get a 2 pt trolling infraction for this?
mods, get a life, this was relevant to what the current discussion has degraded to.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
Did someone just get told?

...I think someone just got told.

Someone just got told, guys!

OH SNAP!
no they didnt, that attempt at an insult was actually pretty stupid.

sorry but if a canadian is winning tournies with snake, mk isnt the problem guys, its snake.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
i was thinking about it and isnt mk comparable to sagat in sf4???

sagat has absolutely no bad matchups, can do things other characters cant, and he lives longer than the average character.

maybe i should make a thread on shoryuken about banning sagat cuz all the tournies are gonna be overrun with sagats.

oh wait thats right, sf4 tournies arent dominated by sagat everytime just like brawl tournies arent dominated by mk everytime, cause they're both beatable.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
i was thinking about it and isnt mk comparable to sagat in sf4???

sagat has absolutely no bad matchups, can do things other characters cant, and he lives longer than the average character.

maybe i should make a thread on shoryuken about banning sagat cuz all the tournies are gonna be overrun with sagats.

oh wait thats right, sf4 tournies arent dominated by sagat everytime just like brawl tournies arent dominated by mk everytime, cause they're both beatable.
because most of the pro ban side dont understand a major in why MK cant be banned...Yomi
theyre not taking the time to figure out what beats each of MKs techniques...oh you cant beat whornado? piviot grab,MK found somthing to beat that? ok then rising nair, and so on until you can counter everything that MK does

ok if the way i worded that confuses you,ill can post a nice thread which makes more sense...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol yea

no sagats made top 8 at evo

but i think mk's margin over the cast is higher than sagat's, but still. not that high over snake

ally outplays the mk's that he beats, he and m2k are pretty even imo

ppl always say 'u have to outplay the mk to beat him, u have to know what to do in the matchup, but in the end he has the advantage!'

but ppl dont say 'it is impossible to beat him!'

there is a difference

if it is possible i dont see any reason to ban him lol

wario and ic's got this

link u got this

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
technically no banned character in any fighting game is unbeatable. even cheap unlockable bosses they throw in for the hell of it are still "beatable"

i dont think theres ever been a char in a fighting game that literally can not lose

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
no akuma in st completely 100-0 shutdown on honda and basically any character that had no fireball or had to charge thier moves.

in sc4 im pretty sure algol is banned because they're the only community worse than brawls.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I've given more infractions here, than I have in my entire time as a mod combined.
gg trolls.

I like to think we're debating this BECAUSE we care about the community so much.
Because in the end, whether one side is right or wrong, we all want the same thing, that is, the best future for the competitive scene.

So play nice y'all.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Maybe but MK is easily beatable, an even match up, woo hoo, he's not even the worst match up for most top tiers.
And quite a few high and mid tiers too. For example, with Fox, Pikachu and Sheik are worse matchups for him than MK and for ZSS it's Falco.

Everyday I check this bored and see the percents move ever so slightly. It's like a WW1 stalemate.

I've given more infractions here, than I have in my entire time as a mod combined.
gg trolls.

I like to think we're debating this BECAUSE we care about the community so much.
Because in the end, whether one side is right or wrong, we all want the same thing, that is, the best future for the competitive scene.

So play nice y'all.
gg troll xD They put up a tough fight, eh?

The whole MK issue really is a pain with the community. One can hardly play MK without someone making some troll comment. I would like to know what would really happen if MK was banned. Would the complaning stop there and people accept it? We already know what happens when he isn't banned. Nothing changes at all xD

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
If Mk were banned, some players would quit, a very very large portion of the community would lose any and all respect they had left for the game, and tournament placings with the remaining players wouldn't ****ing change at all, because they're STILL PLAYING TOP TIERS.

swordgard

Smash Hero
technically no banned character in any fighting game is unbeatable. even cheap unlockable bosses they throw in for the hell of it are still "beatable"

i dont think theres ever been a char in a fighting game that literally can not lose
If you use the skill argument for ally, then you could say the same about dojo/tyrant/M2k, which means you have no evidence MK is broken.

If you use the character argument, then MK isnt broken.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
like i said before, the only thing MK pro banners have is the EDC thing.

if that's not thier whole argument, then they're just not made for competitive games(brawl0lolol)

If Mk were banned, some players would quit, a very very large portion of the community would lose any and all respect they had left for the game, and tournament placings with the remaining players wouldn't ****ing change at all, because they're STILL PLAYING TOP TIERS.
Some people quitting I can see for sure happening. Of course tourament placings wouldn't change that much. Since when have mid/low tier units ever been able to place high or win in national tourneys. Every Smash game has been that way. The thing I see changing regarding tournaments is which of the top tiers end up placing higher.

And what is considered very, very large portion? From what I see, most people don't even care if MK gets banned or not. If he gets banned, one less MU to worry about in tourneys. If he doesn't, nothing changes. A large portion don't ever use MK. The only ones that have any right to complain are people that use MK to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom