• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forward teaches Falco

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelad1

Smash Ace
When u land on a platform, tilt forward than tap down. Tilting forward cancels the crouching animation after you land which prevents you from falling thru the platform.
does this have to be done automatically as you land or is it a ballpark stroke that can be done pretty close to when you land.... I don't think I'm quite getting it, what should I be noticing that feels different?

Black Hayate

Smash Lord
the main problem i have, marth's utilt, other can do like 5 times to me and i can't DI out, how do you DI that.
btw i often saw someone do a shine the jc asap, i can jc asap, but the attack won't come out, am i doing anything wrong?

mathos

Smash Champion
DI towards Marth for the utilt. Are you sure the shine isn't hitting b/c its hits on its first frame.

Truedge930

Smash Apprentice
Forward, how do you mix up going for spikes as part of edgeguarding? Empty double jump fake outs, shoot some lasers to force them into a part of the area? Say when fighting someone with annoying recovery like Samus, Link or Peach?

forward

Smash Champion
whats better RSHL or shl, WD,shl,WD?
It's situational really. I use RSHL when I need to escape danger. WD shl is more for baiting out an attack. So, I suppose WD is better because you are more likely to follow up with a hit, but they are both good.

Forward, how do you mix up going for spikes as part of edgeguarding? Empty double jump fake outs, shoot some lasers to force them into a part of the area? Say when fighting someone with annoying recovery like Samus, Link or Peach?
Each of those character have tricks about ledgeguarding them. Against Samus you will have to shoot lasers above the stage to make her fall while bombing. You want her low, that way you can go for a ledge guard, where you can possibly land a spike, among other things. There's no way to keep Peach from coming from above the stage, so your best bet is to just ledge guard with B air. If she stays out of range and goes for the ledge, that is your chance to spike. Against Link, the best way to land a spike is a full jump spike, you can even fall off the stage with it.

Forward, who wins the majority of you and Taj? Do you know Tim (Eggm) aswell?
Taj and I go back and forth, and it depends on who we play. Somenights I win the majority of the matches, other nights he does, we are 50/50. I always seem to beat him in tournaments, but I think it's because he always uses Fox against me in tourney.

I don't know Eggm, but I do know Demised, who is also named Tim... so unless he changed his name...

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
So you're admitting that falco is better than fox? Lol, me and my brother have this argument all the time. It seems the majority think falco is better, but maybe it's just the way he plays, but his fox seems more punishing. The **** shines!

Is the Tim you're thinking of a Yoshi player? He goes to school out there in AZ but lives in NJ. He's always coming home and preaching about Taj being the god of all smash players.

Since you're answering questions. I'll add on one myself. How exactly do you get the double laser spam from jumping off of the edge? What's the usefulness of it aswell?

JFox

Smash Hero
Can you tell me percents at which you shine combo Fox/Falco, and what is the best way of doing it.

I know zang likes Shine>WD>Shine at low percents, but than others don't do that. And at what percent can Fox escape that, and what are you supposed to do from there?

I know BS uses the double shine to Dair. What do you like to do?

After the lower percents, do you like to uses Uairs to combo? What percents do you start and stop those?

I am mainly concerned about the first 70%.

If you are to reply, much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol, the first posts on this thread are hilarous (Forward vs FalseFalco). I'm glad this thread is stilling going on and all. I'll come back to this when I start playing smash again and come up with questions.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Idk, what people mean but can u maybe help Forward. I was watchin myself play some matches and most say, I'm good, and above average when it comes to my Falco game, only cuz my technical skill is very good, but they say me mindgames are ****!n horrible or that I have none. What exactly are mindgames? And what are good mindgames to use in matches vs people?

JFox

Smash Hero
You can't really teach mindgames. Its just something you get from experience, especially with upper level players.

Mindgames is thinking about what your opponent is going to do before he does it, essentially. So if you notice your opponent usually rolls behind you, you punish by knowing where he is going and counterattacking.

Mindgames is making sure your game is varied so that your opponent cannot foresee your next move. You may even have good enough mindgames to make him think you will do one thing, he will react, but than you do what he didn't expect and than exploit his wrong anticipation.

For example- You are Marth and you grab Fox, and start CG'ing. He likes to stop DI'ing at 23-29% to try and interrupt your chaingrab with a shine. So you are kneeing him, giving him time to realize he is about to get up thrown. He lets go of the direction and gets ready to mash the down and A asap. Rather than throw and hope he simply misses the shine, you throw in a curve ball. You Fthrow rather than u-throw, he misses the tech because he is not expecting the fthrow, and you get a free smash, or you can simply DD and grab him when he tries to get up.

This is a mindgame. You are constantly watching your opponent to try to pick up habits, and than thinking ahead and see his habit coming, and than counterattacking. This sort of mindgame is more of a mindgame trick, something that works on a bunch of people. Other mindgames can just be something you do on the spot after picking up on someones game.

If you have no mindgames, you usually play like you are on cruise control. You just let your fingers play, but you don't do much thinking. These are the sorts of players than don't do so well against smart players. They are too easy to punish for bad habits. Try to vary your game more, don't be repetitive.

I hope this helped.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
1. I'm still trying to work JC shines into my game. It's difficult because it's easy to mess up, and even when you get it it's not always when you want it, like when your opponent gets hit by the first one for example. However I think it could be very useful, it just takes a lot of practice to work into your game.
2. Falco's ledge guarding isn't the greatest. Unless you hit them on their first step towards recovering (such as predicting them jumping or not jumping) they will most likely make it back. I run off full jump reverse laser, then fall below them and do a jumping b air. Hang from the ledge, drop and jump with b air. Most of your ledge guarding you have to space yourself below them and then hit with a double jump attack.
3. Laser spam works well against Falco, Falcon, Ganon, Peach, and Samus. Against Peach and Samus you have to have a more defensive approach, they have a lot of options which make it difficult for Falco to get near them.
4. Although Falco's recovery isn't that great, he does have a lot of options. You should learn to sweet spot the ledge with every angle on his up b. You should know how to shorten the f b. Also, learn to sweet spot a f b while you are rising from your second jump. I usually make my recovery a 50/50 guess for the opponent. I jump up to the space where I could try to f b onto the stage and hit them, and then drop down slightly and sweet spot an up b.
5. It depends. Being on a platform can be to your advantage when you are at a disadvantage. It gives you more room to escape. If they are on a platform across from you it allows you to continue laser spamming and keep them away. If they are above you it gives you ground to protect your self if they try to fall on you with an attack.

I'm not completely quitting, I'll still go to tournies, or wherever there is money involved. I just don't play much casually anymore.
For number 3, you forgot Link. Powershielding is one of the only methods Link has of getting around it, and he's reliant on projectiles. My Link is, anyways. Lasers contain Link a little too nicely for my comfort level.

forward

Smash Champion
Samus up b, my sworn enemy, and an enemy to all falco players lol.

Basically, up b is a defensive move for Samus, so when she lands it on you, you're aggressing at the wrong time. However, if you stop yourself from attacking when they are prepared to up b, you will gain the upperhand.

Keep Samus on the ropes, keep her afraid of your attacks, keep her on defense. Just when they think they know that you aren't attacking, go for the attack. Shuffle spike into up throw. With good timing you can beat out samus's sex kick with an up tilt when falls towards you.

vietgamer1021

Smash Journeyman
San Diego, California (being bored, so I'm going t
yep my falco need work

when i try to "condensed pillar" (SH-dair to shine repetitively possibly keep fox/falco in that small area or break shields) i cant pull off the fast fall for some reason i sh dair, then i press down/hold it but i dont FF fast enough to shine w/out being shieldgrabbed. is there a specific timing on the FF or the dair, or am i not l cancelling properly?

forward

Smash Champion
You should stop trying to pillar. WD behind them after a shine. After that you can do another shine, which can lead to other things, you can up tilt, turn around an grab, shl. More and better options then going for a pillar.

mathos

Smash Champion
ff = fastfalling
uairing = using an up air
pillaring = the shield pressure techique, specifically performing a short hop fast falled dair l-cancelled into a shine in repetition.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yo foward, you said earlier in the thread that all falco's aerials are good, so do you have any good use for the fair?

forward

Smash Champion
Black Hayate: WD behind them and then up tilt with ur back turned to them.

Macman: You can use shuffle f airs similar to shuffle n airs but they have less knock back, so they can set up for an f smash better. Sometimes I'll use them in a full jump, and land about 3 hits. It's sets you up underneath them for an up tilt which is pretty nifty.

C2: Really fast

Link226

Smash Ace
yo forward.....i have a pretty good falco....i can do most things a pro falco user probably does...but i have 1 problem...i cannot ****ing shl correct. I mean i can do it...but i cant do it low....i have read the threads here about shl but it doesnt help me out...info coming from u might tho :)

o and by the way i have been trying to pillar but it seems almost impossible...i kno u dont seem to like it but can u tell me how to do it, cuz im pretty sure u kno how? i kno u need to jc shine....but it that all? cuz i do jump and shine but i can only do 2 because im in the air by the time i do the second shine.

[GMC]C2

Smash Journeyman
Ohhh, I guess it just doesn't work with the C-stick, it works just fine with the analog stick though, I was doing it the same with the C-stick and I would just fall down, even when it was supposed to grab on

forward

Smash Champion
yo forward.....i have a pretty good falco....i can do most things a pro falco user probably does...but i have 1 problem...i cannot ****ing shl correct. I mean i can do it...but i cant do it low....i have read the threads here about shl but it doesnt help me out...info coming from u might tho :)

o and by the way i have been trying to pillar but it seems almost impossible...i kno u dont seem to like it but can u tell me how to do it, cuz im pretty sure u kno how? i kno u need to jc shine....but it that all? cuz i do jump and shine but i can only do 2 because im in the air by the time i do the second shine.
lol r u serious?

practice shl

don't pillar

mathos

Smash Champion
Wait a minute, Forward I thought you didn't like lasers? Wasn't that the point "Drephen's ZOMG Mathos' laser are amazing" thread?

Zeus-oz

Smash Rookie
My only advice : Don't get hit

( and don't give me crap because it says I'm a "smash n00b" . I've been playing/training in smash for 6 or so years. I simply never had an interest in smash boards untill Triforce from Empire Arcadia recomended this site )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom