• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Serious Ness Tier Discussion

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
....he should say Fuzzy Pickles. Seriously, tell me everyone's with me on this. At LEAST make the Fuzzy Pickles pose.
Of course Ness needs the fuzzy pickle pose! Seriously, that should be his taunt, not "okayy", or at least a victoy celebration (even if I like his taunt). That would be pretty friggen awsome=go fuzzy pickles! "Say Fuzzy Pickles!":ness: :ness: :ness:

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Well there HAS been a lot of discussion on the subject. I doubt anyone can think of a viable argment to Ness's supremacy that hasn't already been talked about. Also, the Ness boards have been pretty dead in general, yeah, seriously wtf is up with that?

Edit: Well regardless Brawl info is coming up in 2 or so days, if they officially declare Ness as a returning character, there'll definitely be something to talk about.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
hahaha, no I was actually referring to all the shenanigans that went on in the last couple pages, pretty much since that Samus player made one post and then all kinds of silliness came out of people...wait, really? they're releasing info in a couple days? if that's true....*salivates*

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
No wonder the Ness board is so popular, we're too cool.

Here's hoping tomorrow's Smash Brawl update includes info on: Ness, Caption Falcon, or Olimar!

And, so I don't spam multiple times in a row...uh....Ness > Master Hand.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Man its amazing how many kids, i mean........fools, i mean........GREAT Ness players you see here!!!!!!! :laugh:

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Man its amazing how many kids, i mean........fools, i mean........GREAT Ness players you see here!!!!!!! :laugh:

Oh god, he's on to us! Our use of the internet for amusement proves our inability with one of the characters we use in a game where we turn off 90% of the game, just as Colonel Basset feared!

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I'd be fine with the extendo limbs, if they applied to grabs. Smaller grab range than pichu for the lose.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Oh come on, it's not that bad. And it's compensated by the best horiztonal throw in the game. Plus his grab range is still better than Pikachu's...a little

indie_dave

Smash Ace
that 1 frame disadvantage is plenty too. ness' jumpcanceled and shield grabs, considering 1 frame delay vs everybody else in conjunction with crap range limit his grab game -- or you can't play ness' grab game like you can generically with most other charas

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I for one, only attempt grabs at "oh ****" moments...

these include (but are not limited too) :

-a failed falcon/warlock punch (lmfao, just duck it and grab them)

-after a firefox

-other bare openings

I still will do throwing as a mindgame, as I am constantly faking them out with move spams, which I change up on the fly. They don't know what to expect!

DownSmash is to be feared when utilized by a madman^.^

toasty

Smash Hero
the only time I've managed to use dsmash with Ness is when a YLink/Link tries to mindgame his way behind me to grab...which I then dodge...dsmash =D also, the rare mindgame of charging the dsmash to make your opponent, well, if he's Fox, think you're open for attack...and then you let it fly, he pops up a little, and falls on a bat. granted: I've only tried/executed this move ONCE. but man was it pretty. especially because I finished him off with a tailwhip

Ademisk

Smash Champion
the dsmash stops being incredibly useful when people get used to it. They hear the sound, expect the lag, and then either wait around, or attack before you can actually finish the move. The only other great thing about the dsmash is foot cancelling, and even that has its limits. Still useful as hell for mindgames though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I never really understood foot canceling--all i got was something about canceling lag with a foot. What is it?

toasty

Smash Hero
hahaha only a REALLY EFFING CRAZY ONE!!! I'm known by my friends as a dreamer when it comes to smash...always have been, esp since I picked up Ness, haha. But I'll dream of the most ridiculous stuff, until they actually work. Like Spike/Star Jacket --> PKflash which I've probably mentioned, not to gloat, but just to talk about a crazy trap.

As for a RIDICULOUS idea for the dsmash: when you have the spike jacket, have your back to the edge when the opponent is recovering, if you're good at timing your dsmash, make sure you hit them with the very first hit of the yoyo, the strong hit. if you've spaced yourself well enough and timed it perfectly [haha, crazy, I told you].................THEY GET SPIKED.

For those who don't know, when you have any of the three jackets on, if you upsmash or dsmash, the very first hit of the yoyo carries the properties of whatever jacket you had on [and of course, after you execute the move, the jacket is gone]

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I never really understood foot canceling--all i got was something about canceling lag with a foot. What is it?
Foot cancelling is when you land in the automatic chancel frames before the aerial comes out. It's foot cancelling because it is so easy with Dair. I guess that doesn't explain it very well though...

You know how ground moves have IASA frames, which is why marth's dtilt is so good? Well, aerials have a range of frames that they can be interrupted to land in the normal, 4 frame landing animation. For Ness' Dair, I think the frames where there isn't lag are the first 18 frames, and anytime 2 frames after the hitbox goes away. The problem is, this causes a lot of people to think they have the right timing for L-cancels if they practice with the dair, when they're just landing outside the range where landing lag happens.

Combine that amount of time with what Mow mentioned about human reaction time and feints, and you end up with a quite useful little trick to lure opponents into thinking you're vulnerable. And that's when you could pop them with any good trick.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
West coast people, WHAT IS GOING ON THERE!?!? I have to wait 2 more hours :cry: TELL ME!!

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
...what do you mean? If you mean the smash brawl site, we have to wait until the same time as everyone else.

Top Bottom