• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Fun: Favorite/Best Newcomer trailer?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yes, I know that we haven't seen all newcomers yet but with nine newcomers, each having totally unique/creative approaches on their reveal trailers, I'm just curious what's your favorite so far? Just note we're only talking about the reveal trailers, this is not a genreal character discussion (take those to their appropriate topics.).

:4villager:Villager

:4megaman:Mega Man

:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer

:rosalina:Rosalina & Luma

:4littlemac:Little Mac

:4greninja:Greninja

:4mii:Mii Fighters
:4palutena:Palutena
:4pacman:Pac-Man
My second favorite has to be Little Mac as not only was a hype worth character for me but the rough sketches art approach went very well with the character (and seeing the cute face of the Sandbag). But what really won me over was Reggie & Iwata fighting the living crap out of each other DBZ style.

While not my super faves but I have also come back to Mega Man & Pac-Man trailers many times now.

So what are you favorite reveal trailers and why?

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
MegaMan's was the best, by far. Part of it was the nature of his reveal (being a 3rd party revealed so early on, and the blue helmet appearing in the darkness). But the callbacks to so many of his enemies in the past was really great.

Little Mac would be my 2nd favorite, but again, it's not even close to Megaman.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Hrm, deciding between Charizard/Greninja (because it was f-ing awesome), Little Mac (Loved the beginning and the halarity that is Samus), Mii Fighters (Reggie vs Miyamoto FTMFW!) and Palutena (Freakin anime fight scenes being awesome and all that)...... hrm........

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Mega Man has got to be my favorite. Everything from the music, to the presentation of the different abilities, to the bad-ass look on Mega's face right before he equips Metal Blade. Of course, I am a sucker for the character and the games, so I may be a bit biased there.

My 2 year old daughter loves Rosalina's trailer (or as she calls it "Flying Kirby") because she is enamored with Kirby and loves watching him fly around on the Warp Star over and over. She also expresses her concern every time Luma hits Kirby and causes him to crash on to Rainbow Road with "Oh no! Kirby crashing!".

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Little Mac for two reasons.
1. I got to see it live
2. Little Mac was one of my most wanted characters

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
My favorite trailers are Mega Man, Pac-Man and Little Mac's. They are all fantastic, from the scenes to the choice of music. My least favorite is Palutena's, as I am not a fan of anime (quite the opposite, actually) and I loathe fanservice/male gaze. I really wish it was different, but well, it can't be helped. Wii Fit Trainer's wasn't that good either. I like the character, but her trailer was too short for its own good. Greninja's was very nice too.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Pac-Man's is my favorite because within the span of a minute and a half it took a character for which I had no feelings or investment of any kind, and made him look so fun that I'm actually considering maining him. It was so cheerful and upbeat and showed off the different aspects of his character perfectly. Plus it had the best remixed song that I've heard in Smash 4 thus far.

Rosalina's has a cool intro with Kirby and Mario Kart, but of course I only like it for that stuff and not the actual gameplay. Greninja's was the best for bringing the hype. And the Reggie vs. Iwata fight from Mii Fighter will be remembered for a long time.

Little Mac's! As soon as I saw his silhouette and heard that guitar chord, I knew it was him immediately. The comic-book-style animated bookends were really nice. Doc's commentary was amusing (I wonder if that was just for the trailer or if he'll remark during actual gameplay. "Quit foolin' around up there! Smash ain't no joke!") The Samus height comparison was cute. "Little Mac Punches In!" is an awesome triple entendre. The gameplay montage was exciting, and I loved that music crescendo right before the Smash logo. It was perfect!

C3CC

Smash Lord
My favorite is Palutena's without a doubt. I don't like anime, but I recognize it was very well made. Plus, Palutena is beautiful and ridiculously hot, and I love her voice. The way she "announces" her powers... Amazing.

My second favorite (and my previous favorite) is Rosalina's, because she was my most wanted character and I thought it was absolutely impossible for her to get in the game, and when I saw her trailer live, I could barely breathe. I just couldn't believe it.

My third would be Charizard's/Greninja's, because the part of Charizard flying down to fight Mario and company gave me the chills. It's so well made it's not even funny.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mega Man was the best

I don't want to rank the rest

I would have liked Palutena's, it had nice animation. But it also meant Palutena is in the game. And I didn't want Palutena in the game

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Mega Man's without a doubt.
The Mii Fighter's was hilarious though.
And then Palutena and Little Mac are tied for third place.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
This is hard. I think my favorite would have to be Mega Man's actually, just because that whole thing with the blade. Palutena's and Pac-Man's are tied for second for me.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Little Mac's is the clear favorite on my part. Everything about it just worked perfectly in all the right ways. The comic book-styled animation, the somewhat esoteric build-up to his reveal (it was obvious who it was, but not if you're unfamiliar with Punch-Out!!), the gameplay demonstrating his moveset so well and synching up with the fantastically remixed music, Doc Louis' commentary, the chocolate at the end, etc. It was sheer fanservice, the entire thing. It had me pumped the entire time. It's the perfect length, with the right balance of animated scenes and in-game footage. This trailer set the standard for what I think all newcomer trailers should strive to be.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Mega Man for the hype alone.

In fact, rosalina and villagers are the only ones i'd label weak. All the others totally rock, even the ever so brief Wii Fit Trainer

Ascended

Smash Ace
Let me do a ranking on order of favorite to least favorite:
1) Little Mac
2) Mega Man
3) Mii Fighter (Dat Reggie VS Iwata skit)
4) Wii Fit Trainer (So random, plus the showfloor reaction at E3 2013 was awesome.)
5) Pac-Man (Just because I had wanted him since Brawl and seeing all four icons together was awesome.)
6) Palutena (Mostly for the anime fight, but it also confirmed that the Rio and Hillis are coming back as Pit and Palutena.)
7) Greninja
8) Rosalina
9) Villager (Dude got gypped out of his own trailer.)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm Gonna say a tie between Mii and Pac-Man, with Greninja at a close second.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Greninja and Rosalina evoked the biggest response from me. I was literally jumping around for joy.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
1. Megaman (Dat Wiley Theme!)
2. Little Mac
3. Mii (Just because the Iwata vs Reggie thing was awesome!)
4. Greninja
5. Roselina
6. Palutena
7. Pacman
8. Wii Fit Trainer
9. Villiager

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Basically all of them, although Mii Fighter, Lil' Mac, Rosalina, Palutena, Mega Man, and Pac Man were my favorite, in no particular order.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I have to say the Mii Fighters.

Mii Fighters were the only thing I was really skeptical about, but that part of the Nintendo Digital Event with Reggi and Iwata fighting really helped ease in the Newcomers.

Probably...

1) Mii
2) Palutena
3) Mega-man

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
1. Rosalina
2. Palutena
3. Mii
4. Greninja/Charizard
5. Mega Man
6. Little Mac
7. Pac-Man
8. Wii Fit Trainer
9. Villiager

I just feel like I'm not nearly as excited for Pac-Man as I should be. Maybe it's due to all of the mediocre and forgettable games he's had in the last decade or so. But Sonic had the same problem and I was still ecstatic about him when he first got in.

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
Greninj, no doubt. The trailer was just so hype.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I liked Pac-man and Megaman. It's great to not just see characters from different franchises made by Nintendo, but seeing how third party characters interact with them is great (just like the Snake Codecs, but I didn't feel that Snake fitted in, still great character though so don't hate on me).

Wii Fit Trainer made me laugh a lot, but then I started to take a liking to the character.
Little Mac got a bigger spotlight, and his voice actor for the games and the trailer make him sound great.
Palutena's trailer gave me a orgy from the anime fight scene and dat but.
Greninja didn't really make me happy at all, but his fighting style made me like him though.
Rosalina looks like a difficult character to use (since you can't decide where Luma goes), and her trailer actually made me happy because Kirby was so cute ;3
Mii Fighter trailer was awesome to see that fight in the beginning, but I don't think I'll be using the Mii Characters due to them being banned in for glory.

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
I honestly cannot believe I'm going to say this but the Pac-man trailer because it convinced me Pac-man being in the game wasn't the worst thing that can happen and Sakurai can make any god damn character seemingly fun to play.

If you had asked me what I thought of Pac-man a month ago I would have slapped you for even daring to suggest I would say something like this.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I base my favorite list on how surprised I was and how well the trailer itself looked.

1. Greninja (Super surprising, super hype trailer, easily the best)
2. Rosalina (Super Hype Trailer, already knew about the character tho before watching)
3. Megaman (Hype Trailer, knew about the character before watching)
4. Little Mac (Okay trailer, surprised by the character)
5. Villager (Smash 4 Hype in general came with him)
6. Mii Fighter (Reggie vs Iwata, don't care for Miis at all)
7. Wii Fit Trainer (Surprising character, but knew about before I saw the trailer)
8/9. Pac-Man (Wasn't surprising in the least bit because of the leak)
8/9. Palutena (Same as Pacman)

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
My favorite is Palutena's. I love anime, so it's natural for me to really like it. Palutena showing up and talking was pretty exciting for me. The fight between Link and Pit was hella hype, and the music was great as well. Palutena shouting out her moves' names was pretty interesting, and she also looks very fun to play.

Palutena also looks very pretty, so that's an added bonus. (not talking her "parts" btw)

Edit: I also really liked Greninja's trailer.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Palutena. The animation, the comic relief...it was gorgeous!

It was essentially the only trailer that had the newcomer be in-character so perfectly as well. It was just so well crafted.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Aw man, ALL of the newcomer trailers have been such a joy to watch. Heck, part of the reason newcomers excite me so much is because of their amazing (and may I add, high-production quality!) trailers. My favorites though? Honestly, I think my favorite was probably Mega Man's. Notably because I was into looking at people's wish rosters at the time and saw a lot of people include Mega Man. It sounded really cool, but I also heavily doubted it, pretty much not even considering him as a possibility. And then that trailer happened. The moment I saw and heard that helmet sound effect, I freaked out. I was SO hype for that entire trailer, it wasn't even funny.

I do have to give special props to the Mii Fighter trailer (I think seeing Sakurai and Reggie engage in a ridiculously choreographed, over the top special effects-packed battle was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. Totally using a Reggie and Iwata Mii for those slots on the roster) and the Palutena trailer though (I don't watch a lot of anime, but I know good animation when I see it, and I just LOVE Palutena's overall design.)

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Greninja because it was so expected. No one thought he'd be a playable character. When I first saw it I thought it was a Mewtwo trailer, and in the end, I wasn't even mad because Greninja's awesome.

Top Bottom