• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstooling with Jigglypuff!?

How Reliable Do You Think Footstools Can Be For Jigglypuff?

• Very Reliable

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Kinda Reliable

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Unreliable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What can they ever do? They're worthless!!

• Don't have any good follow ups after it... :(

• Potentially something that benefits us!!

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
At high level play, we can see amazing things. The mindgames, the thinking, item usage, and definately combos.

But what makes a combo look... Let's say... The coolest?

Is it how fast it is? The finishing blow? 0-death? The style? The technique? How it might push an opponent so far offstage they can't come back? How effective it is?

Well of course we want them to be effective, but in my opinion, it is Footstooling and Jab Locking.

The best plays usually come from these things, as they create a punish or combo opportunity. Footstooling can even kill, and mastering it could possibly be vital as a potential kill in some MUs. Footstooling is probably the best way to start a Jab Lock, and it can even lead to combos in the air if you're quick enough, or combos when the opponent bounces on the ground. You Footstool by jumping on the opponent's head when they are in free fall, in hitstun, or basically whenever they can't hit you. You can even footstool them when recovering or and sometimes jumping, where you'll lightly jump off them, creating no effect. The same goes for a neutral grounded opponent.

Jab locking isn't what I'm mainly talking about today, but to put it briefly, a series of comboed moves (light ones) when the opponent is on the ground will let them slide. Another light move still being able to let them slide until they will stand up, because it if you do another move before they stand up, and still being light enough to slide. They'll look invincible, but actually they're vurneable at the... I guess pretty much of the second half of the animation. They have to stand up, and no matter how good your opponent is, they can't get out of that animation. It locks them in, hence the name: Jab Locking. Every character can jab lock, and you Melee fans probably know it similarly as a Jab Reset. The difference being that you can do a combo of moves that can jab lock, and I don't know a ton about Melee, but I believe jab is the only move that can Jab Reset. In smash 4, you can do any move that will work. You can punish in absolutely any reasonable way. Grab, smash attack, combo move, and even REST. Jab Resetting in Melee is a very reliable rest combo, and is very effective.

So we know what Footstooling is and what Jab Locking and it sounds pretty effective. Footstooling is not only, but the most effective way to lead to Jab Locking because the fall cannot be teched, but........

Why is this thread about Footstooling? Jab Locking sounds like the way harder part, and the more effective part!

Both should be labbed more, but Footstooling is the more interesting if the two because it isn't labbed that much. Not very many people talk about it... Jab Locking has its own threads.

Footstooling is far more useful in our current meta of Jigglypuff as of now, making the opponent either roll, use getup attack, stand, or have the possibility of getting jabbed locked. It also can lead to nasty edge guards if it's used low offstage, becuase the opponent can jump out of it after a bit. It's even used for disrespect edge guards. Jab Locking has very rare opportunities in our current meta of Jigglypuff, and it might have more broad options if we lab and publish the best results out of Footstooling.

Footstooling is also harder then it seems. It's mostly done on accident in tourney's, but its potential is enormous, and a lot of very good combos, or even 0-deaths involve it. Getting a Footstool reliably isn't as hard as impossible as it sounds (though can still be challenging)!!

We can combo into a reliable Footstool!! There not all true, but some are just as reliable as The Wall of Pain! The ones marked with (!!!) are the most reliable. The ones marked with (!) are less reliable.

Fair (easier with sweetspot, but possible with all hitboxes)--> footstool !!!

Dair--> footstool !!!

Up air juggle--> footstool !

Bair at around 40%?--> footstool (very strict percent range, might not be super reliable, but more than up air) !

Sourspot nair--> footstool (Higher percents, gets less reliable at around 75%) !!

What do you guys think? Do you have any cool combos to share with footstools, have theories, use in meta ideas, where Jigglypuff stands with this, or other combos with footstools, share in those comments!!!! Jab locks would also be appreciated, being a good punish after footstools. Any other combos with properties similar to footstools (such as sliding off a platform) are also welcome! :)

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Also, footstool can lead to a true rest right after you footstool in the air, but you have to be SUPER QUICK. Possibly as or quicker than a perfect pivot. I had a video but I can't seem to put it in here :/

Texans with their technology right?

Im'mah goin' to care for the horse! :p

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
Nice initiative!
I personally think footstools an benefit us after they have been optimised.
Jiggs gains too much upward momentum to jablock after a footstool, but you can do these things.

So at the moment I'm labbing footstool to dair and nair, dair is damage dependent.
Have two sample numbers for fun:
Sheik (37% and up)
Bowser (111% and up)

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Nice initiative!
I personally think footstools an benefit us after they have been optimised.
Jiggs gains too much upward momentum to jablock after a footstool, but you can do these things.

So at the moment I'm labbing footstool to dair and nair, dair is damage dependent.
Have two sample numbers for fun:
Sheik (37% and up)
Bowser (111% and up)
I did forget to mention that Footstooling can't lead to jab locks for Jigglypuff because of how high she is, and the timing!! Silly me!

It might work on platforms though? It's just a theory, but it could be possible.

I have gotten footstool--> nair in the air, and I don't think it's damage dependent. It might be size dependent? I didn't lab it... :p

Dair after footstool does seem very beneficial, as we see in that 0-death combo by Dol.

Keep on labbing! Thanks for the comment!! :)

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
I did forget to mention that Footstooling can't lead to jab locks for Jigglypuff because of how high she is, and the timing!! Silly me!

It might work on platforms though? It's just a theory, but it could be possible.

I have gotten footstool--> nair in the air, and I don't think it's damage dependent. It might be size dependent? I didn't lab it... :p

Dair after footstool does seem very beneficial, as we see in that 0-death combo by Dol.

Keep on labbing! Thanks for the comment!! :)
Nair is just works on a few characters like

Bowser
Yoshi
G&W

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
Is it possible to send a vid?
Sorry, labbing this on 3ds
But here's an easy way of doing it
Training -> cpu jump -> speed 1/4
Position your self for the footstool and do nair right after the footstool is done.

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
Found a footstool lock. More info coming when I have my WiiU setup

Last edited:

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Found a footstool lock. More info coming when I have my WiiU seup
That footstool to rest combo I mentioned earlier I labbed a bit... Could still lab a bit more, but have a few results.

Reminder: the combo is footstool, and a rest immiediatly after.

So far, the combo works on heavy characters, and small characters, and assuming normal sized characters. The skinny tall characters I don't think can be rested after a footstool... Maybe sometime I'll test every character. Some characters definitely can't be combowd in this way.

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
That footstool to rest combo I mentioned earlier I labbed a bit... Could still lab a bit more, but have a few results.
Not to break your bubble, but reflex has already done exactly that. You can see a list in the description of the video I posted earlier.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Poll is biaised.
Should have a "Not quite reliable" option because this is exactly what Jiggs footstool options are.

footstool to rest is uselessly straining execution-wise while most attacks do not have the hitstun on low% necessary to execute a footstool afterwards. It's a shame really because after the footstool Jiggs lock options are really great.
It all comes down to doing it when the opponent's not expecting it.

Unless someone found a very reliable way of doing it without using a move whose hitbox.

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
Here's some information :)
After a footstool you can choose which direction you'll start moving, on some characters I've noted which way you should be moving to hit the combo.

Footstool -> Dair

Numbers might be a little wrong, but these are the lowest %s I was able to land the combo. Usually moving backwards is what you need to trap them.

Toon Link 37%
Sheik 37%
Bowser 111%
Yoshi 101%
G&W 45%
Marth 43%
Kirby 50% move backwards
Little Mac 62% move backwards
Charizard 20% Facing puff, needs more testing
Lucario 0%
Duck hunt duo 137%
Ness 32% When he’s facing puff, needs more testing
Olimar 0%
Mewtwo 51% front (move backwards) , 50% back (stay still)
Lucas 35% When facing puff, needs more testing
Roy 63% Stay still, only from front

Footstool -> Rest
Apperently you can footstool Ness and Lucas too, but if you don't move towards the direction they're facing you'll get a glancing blow :s

Bowser
Yoshi
DK
G&W
Ness (Move toward where ness is facing)
Olimar
Lucas (Move towards where lucas is facing)

Footstool -> Nair
Useful for offstage kills?

Bowser
Yoshi
G&W

Footstool -> Fair jab lock
Footstool, fast fall, fair, fastfall. I'll make a video to demonstrate it later. Easy to do on jigglypuff. The combo depends on the character's fall speed, should work on all characters with a fallspeed slower than Olimar, but it might be harder to do.

Jigglypuff
G&W
Ness
Kirby
Olimar
Toon link
Rosalina? Got this once, but might have been a fluke

Last edited:

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Um Reflex had already done most of the testing regarding footstool -> rest
Here's his list:
Bowser - Aerial
Yoshi - Grounded
Wario - Grounded
Donkey Kong - Aerial
Mr. Game and Watch - Aerial
Charizard - Grounded and Aerial
Ness - Aerial
Olimar - Aerial
Pac-Man - Grounded
Mega Man - Grounded
Sonic - Grounded

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
Um Reflex had already done most of the testing regarding footstool -> rest
Here's his list:
Bowser - Aerial
Yoshi - Grounded
Wario - Grounded
Donkey Kong - Aerial
Mr. Game and Watch - Aerial
Charizard - Grounded and Aerial
Ness - Aerial
Olimar - Aerial
Pac-Man - Grounded
Mega Man - Grounded
Sonic - Grounded
I know, but for some reason I was able to do it on Yoshi in the air too. I just went trough the whole cast and footstooled them, so resting didn't really slow the progress down by much.

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
I've been able to do it on villager a little easier than most in the air.
I'm only able to do it on Villager once in a blue moon. I usually get a glancing blow. How do you move the control stick and which way are you and he facing?

There we go. No DI and none of the footstools are guaranteed, but they're a concept.

Top Bottom