• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool Disable on Sheik

J2_

Smash Cadet
At Pound yesterday, Abadango (who's apparently a Mewtwo main now) whipped out some of the highest level Mewtwo gameplay I've ever seen. Part of that was against a Shiek player when he followed up a short hop nair with an instant footstool DJC disable to seal the stock. Here's the oddshot:

http://oddshot.tv/shot/vgbootcamp2-20160402164952344

Now after the stream ended, I tried and tried to replicate this tech on Sheik in training mode, but to no avail. Is there anything specific I need to know about this or is the timing just really strict?

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Use your double jump right after a footstool what this does is it pushes Mewtwo downwards cancelling all the momentum from the footstool and this allows you to combo into downb.

Bigfoothunter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mastawoo3
Yea the timing is very strict, it's similar to how one would do a DJC Disable off of ledge jump. Pretty sure this doesn't work on all of the cast though, but still super hype lol

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
This is a rather difficult tech to do, but it is very possible and true. There are multiple set-ups, but none as reliable as the one Abadango used. Remember that you need to triple jump, with the third being cancelled by disable.

Whyguy

Smash Rookie
NNID
funkytoucan
Maybe this will help you, how to do it (around 3:00).

Last edited:

J2_

Smash Cadet
Maybe this will help you, how to do it (around 3:00).
I actually had gone back to that video yesterday (I used it when I picked up Mewtwo/Smash) and used it for reference.

J2_

Smash Cadet
Got it down the other day. Thanks guys! Also why are not talking about how Mewtwo won a supermajor?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Also why are not talking about how Mewtwo won a supermajor?
Personally? I've been busy with other things, and I've been playing Smash way less than usual.

Having no one to play with in person has taken its toll.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
So, I went into training and can actually pull this off. Now, I know being able to use it in a fight its going to be a lot more complicated, but it does give me hope (because usually I can't pull off stuff like this).

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
Did some lab work today to see how specific this really is. Turns out, footstool -> disable works on almost every single character in some way.

Important to note that some characters require you hold down + diagonal back compared to just down for it to work. :GCDL: :GCB: when facing right for example. Any character that works with just down B also works with diagonal down B, and in fact is MUCH easier to land the disable in some cases imo. Those cases are marked with an *.

Here's the data:
Works normally:
- Bowser
- Rosalina
- Bowser Jr.
- Little Mac
- Link
- Zelda
- Sheik
- Ganondorf
- Toon Link
- Samus
- Zero Suit Samus
- Pit/Dark Pit
- Palutena *
- Ike
- Duck Hunt
- Kirby
- King Dedede *
- Fox
- Falco
- Pikachu *
- Lucario *
- Jigglypuff
- R.O.B.
- Ness
- Captain Falcon
- Villager
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Shulk
- Sonic
- Mewtwo
- Lucas
- Ryu
- Cloud
- Corrin
- Medium Mii

Works with diagonal input only:
- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Yoshi
- Wario
- Donkey Kong
- Marth
- Robin
- Charizard
- Dr. Mario
- Lucina
- Pac-Man
- Mega Man
- Roy
- Bayonetta

Tried my hardest, does not work. MIGHT be possible to work if frame perfect but I doubt it:
- Diddy Kong
- Mr. Game and Watch
- Meta Knight
- Greninja
- Olimar

Getting fastfall nair to consistently combo into FS disable is the more difficult part right now for me, but theoretically you can loop the opponent with nair -> FS disable on all but the 5 characters it doesn't work on. It's possible also that there's a particular SDI the opponent can use to escape the FS disable out of nair, but I haven't tried it yet. Abadango's usage of this setup at Pound was just the beginning, once mastered this very well might be an extremely dangerous tech considering how you can essentially convert to KO off of a buffed nair at 60% or so.

IdesofMarch

Smash Rookie
If anyone's looking for a shortcut to hitting the actual footstool-disable part of the combo 100%, try setting X to special. The only part of the input that has to be done really quickly is the third jump to disable, so I've found if I just use my thumb to press Y-X while holding down (or down-back for the second set of characters) I can get it really consistently, so I can focus on landing the nair properly.

Browny

Smash Hater
Now that's how you make a first post on a forum lol. That definitely sounds like a good idea. I always have X set to shield, id turn it off if I could because I never press it but if I do at least its a defensive option. I'll try that.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Having a shoulder button on jump also makes it work easier. Along with making Dtilt DJ Uair seem easier :GCCD: :GCR::GCLT::GCLT::GCCU:

What I'd like to know is if there's a footstool Option Select. It seems harder than with other characters since Mewtwo wants to DJ after footstool.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
The question is how do you get it off the neutral air

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
Put on a playlist of Frank Ocean and headed into the lab to try and figure the nair out.

So far, the one 100% method I found that puts the opponent directly in front of mewtwo for the position of FS disable is shorthop airdodge(AKA phase) into nair on the way down. The phase/airdodge must have no directional input, but you need to hold backwards when using nair and don't fastfall. I've gotten this to work with holding back during the phase and it seems fairly consistent, but it hasn't been 100% for me. This should work on any grounded opponent, whether they are behind you or in front of you. This can also obviously work by doing nothing after a neutral shorthop and releasing nair after a little bit but a phase just so happens to be the exact timing necessary. Not tested with SDI but even if there is a way to SDI out the nair only hits for 2% aka very short so your opponent must be a damn machine in order to mash out fast enough on reaction

Shorthop nair is a bit of a weirder situation. It's definitely timing based and can probably be learned via lots of practice but I have yet to find a really consistent method. Most consistent I've been is a neutral shorthop nair followed by immediately holding back once I get in the air and then fastfalling at some point during the descent of the shorthop. Hopefully I explained that decently enough, not too easy without a visual aid

Did a quick skim of the nair guide and I couldn't find anything like this there so I figured I would just put my findings here. Will keep looking a little bit for a consistent method for SH nair but this is what I got so far.

Last edited:

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
Put on a playlist of Frank Ocean and headed into the lab to try and figure the nair out.

So far, the one 100% method I found that puts the opponent directly in front of mewtwo for the position of FS disable is shorthop airdodge(AKA phase) into nair on the way down. The phase/airdodge must have no directional input, but you need to hold backwards when using nair and don't fastfall. I've gotten this to work with holding back during the phase and it seems fairly consistent, but it hasn't been 100% for me. This should work on any grounded opponent, whether they are behind you or in front of you. This can also obviously work by doing nothing after a neutral shorthop and releasing nair after a little bit but a phase just so happens to be the exact timing necessary. Not tested with SDI but even if there is a way to SDI out the nair only hits for 2% aka very short so your opponent must be a damn machine in order to mash out fast enough on reaction

Shorthop nair is a bit of a weirder situation. It's definitely timing based and can probably be learned via lots of practice but I have yet to find a really consistent method. Most consistent I've been is a neutral shorthop nair followed by immediately holding back once I get in the air and then fastfalling at some point during the descent of the shorthop. Hopefully I explained that decently enough, not too easy without a visual aid

Did a quick skim of the nair guide and I couldn't find anything like this there so I figured I would just put my findings here. Will keep looking a little bit for a consistent method for SH nair but this is what I got so far.
Short hop nair -> footstool is a lot easier if you RAR it, DI backwards during the nair, and then fastfall/roll the stick back right after nair hit 8. I was able to get this to work about 90% of the time (17/20 tries).

You can also rar phase through and hit them with the first two hits of nair then fastfall into footstool disable. I am pretty sure it requires that you have backwards momentum during the nair.

Last edited:

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
Short hop nair -> footstool is a lot easier if you RAR it, DI backwards during the nair, and then fastfall/roll the stick back right after nair hit 8. I was able to get this to work about 90% of the time (17/20 tries).

You can also rar phase through and hit them with the first two hits of nair then fastfall into footstool disable. I am pretty sure it requires that you have backwards momentum during the nair.
tbh honest A video would be amazing help. I am more of a visual learner. :cyclops:

Top Bottom