• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FLUDD vs High Pressure FLUDD

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
So I have seen this issue debated a couple of times, but never directly tackled. So I decided to test these two moves myself.

One problem some people have had with High Pressure FLUDD in comparison to the normal FLUDD is that it pushes Mario back by a good distance. However, I think we overlooked a small detail in High Pressure FLUDD: It still has a powerful pushing effect even when it isn't fully charged.

High Pressure FLUDD has roughly 6 levels of charge. You can indicate these levels of charge each time Mario flashes blue. The first flash happens almost immediately happens right after you use the move, and the last flash happens right before the "Ding!" signifying that the FLUDD is fully charged. So lets go quickly go over the details of these charges:

Stage: FD Mushroomy Kingdom
Opponent: Mario
Special: High Pressure FLUDD
Test: Use High Pressure FLUDD to push opposing Mario to the left, using blocks to indicate pushing distance.
Standing location: Rolling to the very edge of the stage/at the edge of the far right block.
Block: Pretty much equates to a single character distance in length.

Close Range:
Charge 1: Pushes opponent 4 blocks away (Increases to 6 at point blank). Doesn't push you back. Water range is 5 blocks.
Charge 2: Pushes opponent 6 blocks away (Increases to 7.5 at point blank). Recoil is 1 block. Range is 6 blocks.
Charge 3: Pushes opponent 9 blocks away (Still 9 blocks at point blank). Recoil is 2 blocks. Range is 7 blocks.
Charge 4: Pushes opponent 10.5 blocks away (Increases to 11 at point blank). Recoil is 4 blocks. Range is 8 blocks.
Charge 5: Pushes opponent 13 blocks away (Increases to 14 at point blank). Recoil is 6 blocks. Range is 9 blocks.
Charge 6: Pushes opponent 16 blocks away (Increases to 17 at point blank). Recoil is 6 blocks. Range is 10 blocks.

At a distance (furthest possible range for the move):
Charge 1: 2 blocks. (Range is 5)
Charge 2: 4 blocks. (Range is 6)
Charge 3: 5 blocks. (Range is 7)
Charge 4: 6 blocks. (Range is 8)
Charge 5: 8 blocks. (Range is 9)
Charge 6: 9.5 blocks. (Range is 10)

Against an aerial opponent:
Charge 1: Barely any pushback. (No aerial recoil)
Charge 2: Good pushback. (Slight aerial recoil)
Charge 3: Great pushback. (Mild aerial recoil)
Charge 4: Great pushback. (Mild aerial recoil)
Charge 5: Amazing pushback. (Mild aerial recoil)
Charge 6: Incredible pushback. (Mild aerial recoil)

So, what we have learned from the following is this:

- Charge 1 is pretty much outclassed by Charge 2, and should never be used really. In a situation where you wish to quickfire an uncharged FLUDD, you might as well be using Cape/Gust Cape instead, as it has barely any pushback in the air.
- Charge 2 is solid for both ground and air use due to how quickly you can get it, making it effective for quickfiring the FLUDD. It also has less recoil than the later Charges, both on the ground and in the air.
- Charge 3 is when we start to see diminishing returns. If you include the recoil and the range for both Charge 2 and Charge 3, both of them will equal 5 blocks in distance as the "maximum effective range" for the move. Charge 3 still pushes the opponent back 3 spaces further, but it also doesn't increase the distance it pushes when you use it at point blank/when you are closer to the opponent like Charge 2 does. It also takes a bit longer to acquire a Charge 3 as opposed to a Charge 2, naturally. On the plus side though, it does push an aerial opponent back further, which is the most important use for FLUDD anyways.
- Charge 4 is mostly pointless. You get 1.5-2 blocks additional pushing distance...which is lost and can even be worse due to how it pushes you twice the distance of Charge 3. This means that, if you include the recoil and range of the move, it actually has 1 less block (4 blocks) as the maximum effective range for the move. AND it doesn't push aerial opponents back further. All it does is make you wait more precious time for Charges 5 and 6. Yuck. The only time that it is better than Charge 3 is if you use it in the air, because they have the same aerial recoil. But you would much rather wait to get a Charge 5/6 anyways.
- Charge 5 is even worse on the ground (3 Blocks maximum effective range), but it is noticeably better in the air. You get a negative payout for grounded use because it pushes you back 6 blocks now, though there is no additional recoil in the air. So this makes Charge 5 the second best one to use while jumping, after Charge 6. Charge 5 is still somewhat situational as it is pretty much outclassed by Charge 6, though.
- Charge 6 is very similar in function to Charge 5, but with slightly more range and aerial pushback added to it. You could go for a Charge 5 if you REALLY want to shave some time charging the FLUDD, but you should always try to go for a Charge 6 instead. Especially after KOing the opponent. The additional range and aerial pushback are worth it.

tl;dr version for High Pressure FLUDD said:
Charge 1 & 4 are pointless.
Charge 2 is great for quickfiring the FLUDD. Has barely any recoil in comparison to the later charges.
Charge 3 is your general go-to charge for overall edgeguarding purposes, and this is where you have max range on the FLUDD's water. Has noticeable ground recoil, but it is manageable.
Charge 5 has really bad ground recoil, but more pushback against aerial opponents, making it the second best to use in the air. Charge 6 is better however.
Charge 6 is very similar to Charge 5, but it has a bit more power and range in exchange for taking another second to charge. Charge 5 is when you want to save a second of time charging, otherwise Charge 6 is better. Between the two, always try to go for a Charge 6 instead.
Now then, that's all fine and dandy, but how does this all compare to the normal FLUDD? Well, I am not going to go nearly as in-depth with the normal FLUDD as I was with the High Pressure one, but here are my overall results/comparison from testing the two:

High Pressure FLUDD
+ Much more effective when quickfiring the water.
+ More pushback on the opponent, both when they are actively trying to recover and when they are in the helpless falling state.
+ Doesn't take as long to reach optimal pushback potency, if you are using Charge 2 or 3. Meaning that it theoretically charges faster than normal FLUDD.
+/- Overcharging the FLUDD to Charges 5 and 6 is the strongest pushback potential the FLUDD can ever reach, though this takes longer to get to as opposed to the normal FLUDD. This nerf isn't too much of a setback as Charges 2 and 3 are still good, however.
+/- Recoil effect on yourself can both be a hindrance to you trying to egdeguard the opponent, or used in creative ways to dodge attacks depending on the situation.
- Less initial range than the default FLUDD. (Though at max charge it has the same range as Default FLUDD)
- Weakened ability to angle the High Pressure FLUDD in comparison to the normal FLUDD. It takes longer to make it shoot more upwards or downwards.

Default FLUDD
+ More intial range than HP FLUDD. (At max charge both of them have the same range however)
+ More fluid control on how you angle the FLUDD up and down while spraying water.
+ Charges more quickly to get to maximum charge. By the time this FLUDD fully charges, High Pressure FLUDD will only be on approximately Charge 4...I think.
+/- Almost no recoil on yourself whatsoever. Which is good for ease of use, but it also means that you can't surprise opponents with recoil like you can in some situations with High Pressure FLUDD.
- You can't really quickfire this FLUDD, as it barely has any pushback at all.
- Maximum charge is only about as effective as High Pressure FLUDD's Charge 3, which charges faster than the Default FLUDD.
- Opponents are much more resistant to Default FLUDD's water while they are not in the helpless falling state.
- Pushback on Default FLUDD requires you to have the water constantly hitting the opponent, while High Pressure FLUDD doesn't have to worry about this as much.
- The above weakness is further exploited because it seems to be easier to escape the water blasts from the Default FLUDD in comparison to the High Pressure FLUDD.

Overall, I would say that the High Pressure FLUDD wins in overall usefulness. If there is anything I missed though, please let me know. Anyways, discuss your thoughts on which version of the FLUDD you think is better. The more effective Mario's edgeguarding is, the more tournament wins he is going to see. So it would be ideal to try to figure out which of these two variants is more effective overall to help our favorite plumber out. :4mario:

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Thanks for this. HPF is nearly a straight upgrade then. Range is what you're sacrificing mostly, but you get more pushing power. Which one is better may be MU dependent.

What I really want to see is the differences between the two concerning shooting an airborne opponent that is retreating to the ledge. A HPF push might be enough to KO by itself.

I would predict that HPFLUDD could KO anyone whiffing an up B even from Center stage. It's definitely better for whiff punishing.

It's a shame customs aren't allowed unless you're playing with friends or locally.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Thanks for this. HPF is nearly a straight upgrade then. Range is what you're sacrificing mostly, but you get more pushing power. Which one is better may be MU dependent.

What I really want to see is the differences between the two concerning shooting an airborne opponent that is retreating to the ledge. A HPF push might be enough to KO by itself.

I would predict that HPFLUDD could KO anyone whiffing an up B even from Center stage. It's definitely better for whiff punishing.

It's a shame customs aren't allowed unless you're playing with friends or locally.
Yeah. I would say that which one you choose may end up being MU dependent, but I feel as though HPF has the overall edge in most circumstances.

When I have the time (and when my brother is available), I will see how effective both FLUDDs are against a retreating airborne opponent.

And yeah, I really wish we could use customs online. :/

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm not yet sold on High Pressure FLUDD being better after watching Nyani use it in her tournament videos. The recoil and reduced range is massively unattractive for edgeguarding unless you're jumping offstage to edgeguard with the move, which is most effective with Up-B 2 to supplement your recovery.

Then again, I'm just repeating what I've observed and said. By all means, please prove me wrong in game.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I'm not yet sold on High Pressure FLUDD being better after watching Nyani use it in her tournament videos. The recoil and reduced range is massively unattractive for edgeguarding unless you're jumping offstage to edgeguard with the move, which is most effective with Up-B 2 to supplement your recovery.

Then again, I'm just repeating what I've observed and said. By all means, please prove me wrong in game.
If you can, can you please link me to the videos that you saw?

The range nerf is indeed not very pleasant. However at Charge 2 and to a certain degree Charge 3, the ground recoil is manageable in my opinion. It only really becomes a huge issue at Charges 4/5/6, which you normally don't want to use for HPF anyways. Besides Charge 5, which like you said, is more effective in the air.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Xoo6_ppFk&feature=youtu.be&a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVwYXi1eboM

In our video thread, I also offered critique to Nyani. Specifically one of the things I felt was High Pressure FLUDD was quite suboptimal to run. And this could be matchup specific definitely, but the disadvantages imo are not exactly trivial if you're only using this move on the ground.
It seems as though Nyani had a couple of problems using the FLUDD, but it was less about the HPF's qualities and more-so her own playstyle working against her.

Several times I noticed that she either preemptively used the FLUDD in a situation that wasn't too great to waste it, charging the FLUDD in a situation where she could have been more aggressive against the opponent, or leaving herself wide open whilst she was charging the FLUDD. Most of these are more-so player error as opposed to the FLUDD itself being bad.

Additionally, she only really used HPF whenever it was at maximum charge, which is when it has the incredible recoil and is therefore not great to use on the ground. We never really see her use HPF with a half charge. She would have been much better off had she just stored/used a Charge 2 or 3, though I don't blame her for not doing so because I only recently discovered the benefits of these different levels of charges myself.

At around 10:10 in the first video we see a small hint on how HPF can be useful. She used the HPF when it only had a single charge, and not only did it not push her back, but it was also able to (luckily) gimp Little Mac. This isn't really the best example because LM is already extremely easy to gimp, and Charge 2/3 for HPF highly outclass Charge 1 in terms of both range and pushback, but this is basically what I am trying to explain with HPF and its uses.

There are indeed drawbacks to using the HPF in comparison to the Default FLUDD, but these videos are not that great of examples to distinguish the drawbacks and benefits of each variant. Either way though, the matches themselves were entertaining.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Against Little Mac though, who is kinda a weird matchup admittedly, I would almost certainly run Regular FLUDD regardless. Faster charge time and better range are more useful for gimping his recovery in a guaranteed fashion.

And yeah, honestly, I wasn't very thrilled with Nyani's choices most of the time in those games. Very obviously against Atomsk (who is a better player than her), she actually had a lot of opportunities to win the set that really didn't require a lot of thought, but simply better move choice. And this of course by itself had little to do with FLUDD, but more a better optimized playstyle. Given the way she tried to use High Pressure FLUDD though, she obviously would have just benefited more from default.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Here's another example of how far the two FLUDDs go.

Distance Comparison on Battlefield said:
HP FLUDD
Charge 1: Standing directly under the center of one of the lower platforms will make the water go slightly past the egde.
Charge 2: Standing directly under the left side of the right lower platform will make the water go slightly past the edge.
Charge 3: Standing directly left/right to the centermost edge of one of the lower platforms will make the water go slightly past the edge for a brief moment, and then push you to the very center of Battlefield due to recoil. However, the water will still cover the entire bottom side that you are shooting it at, which can push people off of the stage quite reliably.
Charge 4: Standing directly under the center of one of the lower platforms will make the water go a good distance past the egde for a brief moment, before recoil pushes you to the very center of Battlefield.
Charge 5 & 6: Standing directly under the right side of the right lower platform will make the water go very far past the egde for a brief moment, and then recoil will push you the very center of Battlefield.

Default FLUDD
No Charge: Standing directly under the left side of the right lower platform will make the water go slightly past the edge, similar to HPF Charge 2.
Some Charge: Standing directly left/right to the centermost egde of one of the lower platforms will make the water go slightly past the egde, similar to HPF Charge 3, but it doesn't push you back and therefore the water stays there.
Max Charge: Standing at the very center of Battlefield will make the water go slightly past the edge, which is the furthest any variant of FLUDD can go.
EDIT:
Against Little Mac though, who is kinda a weird matchup admittedly, I would almost certainly run Regular FLUDD regardless. Faster charge time and better range are more useful for gimping his recovery in a guaranteed fashion.

And yeah, honestly, I wasn't very thrilled with Nyani's choices most of the time in those games. Very obviously against Atomsk (who is a better player than her), she actually had a lot of opportunities to win the set that really didn't require a lot of thought, but simply better move choice. And this of course by itself had little to do with FLUDD, but more a better optimized playstyle. Given the way she tried to use High Pressure FLUDD though, she obviously would have just benefited more from default.
For LM, I can indeed see the default FLUDD being more effective on him due to how bad his recovery is naturally. For characters with better recoveries though, I can see HP FLUDD being the preferred option. Since, by the time you do decide to use the FLUDD against them offstage, they would already be close to recovering back to the stage anyways. And HP FLUDD would ensure to send them back out in an unfavorable position/to a distance where Mario can finish the job with a Cape/Gust Cape.

And yeah, based on her playstyle, Default FLUDD would suit her more imo. HP FLUDD wasn't doing her any favors based upon how she was using it. No offense against her or anything though. She did make good use of Fast Fireballs.

Last edited:

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna try out that half-charge thing.

I'm definitely having trouble adjusting to HP fludd, but I really believe it's going to yield me some success once i get it down. I've been so invested in gust cape that I havent given much time to fludd research, honestly. But i got a kill with fthrow->HPFLUDD this weekend at youmacon, so that was pretty randomly awesome...

I'm Nyani btw. Thanks for the input guys!

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I'm gonna try out that half-charge thing.

I'm definitely having trouble adjusting to HP fludd, but I really believe it's going to yield me some success once i get it down. I've been so invested in gust cape that I havent given much time to fludd research, honestly. But i got a kill with fthrow->HPFLUDD this weekend at youmacon, so that was pretty randomly awesome...

I'm Nyani btw. Thanks for the input guys!
You are welcome. I hope this information helps you, and I will be wishing you the best for your matches in the future!

And yeah, the thing to note about HP FLUDD is that you essentially have 3 different types of blasts to choose from in a match:

- Charge 2 is for desperate situations where you think your opponent is going to recover unless you act immediately. You shouldn't really save a Charge 2 HPF though. This is only for situations where you feel as though you have no other option to act quickly enough in time.

- Charge 3, or Half Charge HPF, is your all-purpose charge to go to. It is both great to use on the ground and in the air, and it is when the HP FLUDD has maximum range and minimum recoil, while offering more pushing power than Charge 2. It is quick to charge, and it keeps you close so that you can follow it up with a Cape/Gust Cape/Quickfire HP FLUDD/Fair/etc.

- Charge 6 (or 5). I have recently discovered that Charge 6 actually does have a bit more range and aerial pushback than Charge 5, but they are still mostly similar. It really depends on how much time you are able to spare in a match to get the most pushback possible. Either way though, these variants should only be used in the air/after a short hop, unless you want to be blown backwards by massive recoil on the ground. You should always try to go for a Charge 6 whenever you can though, especially after KOing the opponents.

Editing my opinion on Charge 6 in the OP shortly.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I REALLY, REALLY wish you could B-Reverse FLUDD (If we can't already, I'm trying but it might be 3DS). I actually think this would be amazing, Bair into Bair offstage at mid %s, B-Reverse HPF would probably steal a stock (I saw Nyani KO with it off of an F-Throw so I imagine this would be possible)

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
I REALLY, REALLY wish you could B-Reverse FLUDD (If we can't already, I'm trying but it might be 3DS). I actually think this would be amazing, Bair into Bair offstage at mid %s, B-Reverse HPF would probably steal a stock (I saw Nyani KO with it off of an F-Throw so I imagine this would be possible)
that kill was so unexpected! I gambled so hard on it. And I've only managed to b-reverse the fludd once or twice on the circle pad, which is lame because sometimes i wanna use HPF to push me on recovery. I'm sure with the GC controller it'll get easier. For now, i go bair->bair->gustcape and it does almost as well.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
So then, it appears as though I made a grave miscalculation.

HP FLUDD:
Charge 1: Range 5
Charge 2: Range 6
Charge 3: Range 7
Charge 4: Range 8
Charge 5: Range 9
Charge 6: Range 10

Default FLUDD:
Uncharged: Range 6
Some Charge: Range 7
Half Charge: Range 8-9
Max Charge: Range 10

...I didn't angle the HP FLUDD water. :/

There is almost no point to Default FLUDD now.

Updating OP with my findings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom