• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flamecaller of Kalos: Delphox for DLC! What future do the flames foretell?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I've just gotten to thinking... Sorry about my absence, Smashboards stopped giving me notifications on the thread. I hate when it does that... Anyways, we need to think of some way to, for lack of a better word, market Delphox in a way that she seems appealing to on-the-fence Smashers. I've been thinking about it for the past couple days, but I've hit a mental roadblock.
I feel you. Our biggest challenge is getting people to give us the time of day. It's especially difficult when amongst the Smash community's more opinionated members, as you saw from the poll the other day and from RTC a couple weeks back.

I'm looking for answers. I'd advise everyone else reading this to do the same. We'll need to really put our heads together to get this fire to spread...so to speak.

Wow, that's surprising how well that works. Interesting how big a difference perspective can make, as well. That angle makes Delphox look straight up intimidating.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I feel you. Our biggest challenge is getting people to give us the time of day. It's especially difficult when amongst the Smash community's more opinionated members, as you saw from the poll the other day and from RTC a couple weeks back.

I'm looking for answers. I'd advise everyone else reading this to do the same. We'll need to really put our heads together to get this fire to spread...so to speak.

Wow, that's surprising how well that works. Interesting how big a difference perspective can make, as well. That angle makes Delphox look straight up intimidating.
About opinionated members... We competitive Smashers are known for being pretty salty, and I myself am no exception(Like my usual HA! I BEAT YOUR SHEIK WITH MY META KNIGHT! YOU SUCK! thing I like to do) but I swear, we get the saltiest outpouring of responses to everything. I made a Meta Knight guide a few days back, and some guy went as far as to tell me that since some guy had already made a guide, nobody should make any more, or read my apparently horrible guide. Douche.

nonbinarysmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chaosmagic
I personally dont think the costumes change the chances for characters
and that chrom wont be dlc is prett much confirmed as he is in robins finalsmash.
I honestly dont get why ppl think any pokeball pokemon or assist trophy has a chance of becoming playable.
(i kinda wish i had a profile pic that fits to my liking of delphox.. only thing i can think a pic of my anthro fennekin but i dont have any fully coloured pics xD )

Nice drawing Jigglymaster ^^

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Meanwhile, I've been up to something myself. You know those sprites @Neoriceisgood did a while back? The ones a lot of people had in their signatures? Well, among his other spritework is some misc. Pokémon stuff, and I got his permission to repurpose one sprite in particular.

Take a look.

Delphox Smash Sprite v1.1.png

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
I don't know if you had this idea before for delphoxs final smash could be similar to mega man's where fennekin braixen and delphox shoot a massive fire ball at the victim. Just something I thought of quickly, if you guys had this idea before I'm sorry xd

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I don't know if you had this idea before for delphoxs final smash could be similar to mega man's where fennekin braixen and delphox shoot a massive fire ball at the victim. Just something I thought of quickly, if you guys had this idea before I'm sorry xd
I actually haven't heard of it before. It's an intriguing idea, although it'd need to be a cutscene-based Final Smash to keep a summoned Fennekin from getting in the shot, lol.

By the way, there's kind of a thing against double posting here if it's been less than a day since your last one. If you suddenly think of something more to say, there's an option to edit your previous post to include it that way.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I actually haven't heard of it before. It's an intriguing idea, although it'd need to be a cutscene-based Final Smash to keep a summoned Fennekin from getting in the shot, lol.

By the way, there's kind of a thing against double posting here if it's been less than a day since your last one. If you suddenly think of something more to say, there's an option to edit your previous post to include it that way.
I'm going to try thinking of a new, different set of specials for her, as so far all we have been doing is taking each other's ideas and tweaking them, I mean, COME ON! All of our neutral specials are Mystical Fire, all of our up specials are Flame Charge, and most of our down specials are Future Sight. I'm gonna try rethinking what we have. I'm also sad my Pokemon DLC Ideas thread is dying :( It was at 3k views...

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I'm going to try thinking of a new, different set of specials for her, as so far all we have been doing is taking each other's ideas and tweaking them, I mean, COME ON! All of our neutral specials are Mystical Fire, all of our up specials are Flame Charge, and most of our down specials are Future Sight.
Hey now, Shay and I used Heat Wave for the up special. :smash:

Maybe there is a little too much that our movesets derive from each other. I mean, Mystic Fire makes sense as a neutral special since it's Delphox's big signature move and feels most natural as a centerpiece, but beyond that there's a lot of room for interpretation.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
We don't always have to follow the pokemon moves exactly. Perhaps Delphox could have something such as a power up for his neutral b? Like say, it ignites his wand for a certain amount of time, during this time any standard attacks become buffed. Dunno, could work similar to WFT's down B.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646

Ah yes I forgot to put that the cutscene is also similar to mega man's final smash, and sorry about the double post, silly me forgetting it's a thread and not a chatroom x3

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hey look at me guys, I finally made a moveset. I also tried to make mine as original as possible compared to the one's that already exist. I think I came up with something I really like!

Gameplan: Delphox requires a perfectionist playstyle. Using calm mind is a necessity to his success as it boosts your attack and defense for as long as you stay perfect with landing your attacks. Your mobility is surprisingly good so use that to get away from your opponent to find the time to charge up a calm mind. If you can stay perfect with landing your attacks when calm mind is enabled, Delphox will have no trouble landing kills.
------------------------------------------------------
Wall Jump: Yes
Crawl: No
Speed/Air Speed: Above Average
Weight: Below Average
Size: Above Average
Power: Below Average (without calm mind), High (With calm mind)
Special Moves

Down Special: Calm Mind
Using this move is similar to the effects of Lucas' Neutral B in Project M. It temporarily increases Delphox's Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense. In Smash Bros terms, all of Delphox's attacks are increased in damage and knockback as well as his defenses by taking less damage and knockback. Delphox stares into his wand to charge it up and the effects only come when the move is fully charged. Whenever Delphox uses a special move or smash attack and misses his opponent, it must be charged up again. If Delphox connects and lands the hit successfully, he gets to keep the calm mind. The effect can be noticed as the tip of his wand will be lighted up. This move is shield cancelable, but does not save the charge.

Side Special: Mystical Fire
Spinning his wand around, Delphox creates a spiral of fire that can be further increased by rotating the control stick in a full circle. The longer it is charged the more range it will cover. It has a slight chance of causing the opponent's attack to drop. As always, this move will be stronger if calm mind is activated and will keep the calm mind if it connects. This move is shield cancelable, however it does not save the charge.

Neutral Special: Fire Spin
Similar to how Virgil's spiral swords are in Umvc3, Delphox summons fire around him that he can use as a shield as he moves around. Similar to Megaman's Leaf Shield but only covers the front and back. Using this move will completely eat up a calm mind, if used without a calm mind it will hardly stick around.

Up Special: Fire Blast
Similar to Sheik's recovery move. Delphox does a small hop into the air and quickly uses a Fire Blast where he is currently at to boost himself into a direction. If you have calm mind active it will recover farther and deal more damage and knockback. Same rules apply, if the attack does not hit an opponent, Delphox will not keep the calm mind.
Smash Attacks

U-Smash: Delphox sticks his wand into the air. This is a single strike. With calm mind enabled it becomes multi-hitting, adding more damage to the final blow.

F-Smash: Delphox sticks his wand in front of him. This is a single strike. With calm mind enabled it becomes multi-hitting, adding more damage to the final blow.

D-Smash: Delphox sweeps the ground with a fire spinning attack, not to be confused with the Neutral B.

Air Attacks

N-air: A tail whipping attack, hits slightly in the front and then in the back, similar to Samus' N-air. Missing with this move does not make you lose calm mind.

B-air: Delphox thrusts his wand behind him. If calm mind is enabled, the sweetspot is active and will cause very good knockback and damage, similar to hitting with the tip of Charizard's tail. You lose calm mind if you miss with this move.

F-air: Similar to B-air, but in the front.

U-air: Waves his wand above his head, similar calm mind mechanics apply to this move as well.

D-air: Delphox thrusts his wand downwards. When calm mind is enabled, a sweetspot is enabled that can spike, this move is Ganon d-air level of spikage. If calm mind is not present, this move cannot spike and does minimal damage. Player loses calm mind if they miss.
Tilts

U-tilt: Delphox hops slightly to wave it's wand into the air, fast and quick and used for comboing. calm mind gives this move a 1% damage boost.

D-tilt: Delphox sweeps it's tail on the ground, similar to Fox's tail sweep. calm mind does not effect this move.

F-Tilt
:
Delphox swing's his arm in front of himself to cause minor damage, doesn't have much reach or power. Is not effected by calm mind.

Jab: Delphox uses his claws to swipe at the opponents. Similar to Charizard's 3 hit combo. No rapid jab, not effected by calm mind.
Throws

Grab: Delphox uses Psychic to hold onto his opponent. All throws do 2% more damage with calm mind active (excluding F-throw) Knockback is also increased.

Pummel: Delphox uses his wand to smack opponents (0.5% increase on damage if calm mind is in effect)

U-throw: Delphox tosses them high up into the air. Isn't a combo throw, kills Mario around 170%, 150% if calm mind is enabled. Does the most damage out of any of his throws.

B-throw: Delphox uses his wand to fling them behind. Isn't a combo throw, kills mario around 130% near the ledge. 110% if calm mind is enabled.

D-throw: Delphox lifts his opponent up with his wand and then smacks them into the ground. Combos into U-air. Combo's into U-Smash at lower percents.

F-throw: Delphox holds them in place with his wand and smacks them with his tail. This move is not comboable and is not effected by calm mind. Kills at the edge around 180%.
Kill Moves

Up Smash (With calm mind)
Down Smash (With calm mind).
Side Smash (With calm mind).
Side B: Mystical Fire (Fully Charged, calm mind)
Up B: Fire Blast. Laggy but kills very early. Can read an airdodge to hit with it. Lasting hitbox, gets weaker the longer it stays out,.
Back throw: A strong Psychic throw, would kill Mario at the edge around 130%, 110% with calm mind enabled.
Back-air: (With calm mind) Hitting with the sweetspot of back air (the fire tip) will cause much greater knockback and damage. The sweetspot for this move is not present if calm mind is not enabled.
D-air: (With calm mind) Sweetspot with this move causes a spiking effect. Sweetspot is not there if calm mind is not enabled.
Final Smash: Hypnosis + Future Sight.

Delphox's final smash is a two part move. You push the B button the first time to activate the future sight. In about 10 seconds the move will come and cause a big but short explosion on the stage. The second b move is hypnosis much like Peach's final smash. If the players are not put to sleep by the hypnosis, shielding or getting out of the way can avoid the blast.

-----------------------------------------------------
Pictures

SCREEN KO

Standing Pose

Last edited:

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Hey look at me guys, I finally made a moveset. I also tried to make mine as original as possible compared to the one's that already exist. I think I came up with something I really like!

Gameplan: Delphox requires a perfectionist playstyle. Using calm mind is a necessity to his success as it boosts your attack and defense for as long as you stay perfect with landing your attacks. Your mobility is surprisingly good so use that to get away from your opponent to find the time to charge up a calm mind. If you can stay perfect with landing your attacks when calm mind is enabled, Delphox will have no trouble landing kills.
Special Moves

Using this move is similar to the effects of Lucas' Neutral B in Project M. It temporarily increases Delphox's Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense. In Smash Bros terms, all of Delphox's attacks are increased in damage and knockback as well as his defenses by taking less damage and knockback. Delphox stares into his wand to charge it up and the effects only come when the move is fully charged. Whenever Delphox uses a special move or smash attack and misses his opponent, it must be charged up again. If Delphox connects and lands the hit successfully, he gets to keep the calm mind. The effect can be noticed as the tip of his wand will be lighted up. This move is shield cancelable, but does not save the charge.

Spinning his wand around, Delphox creates a spiral of fire that can be further increased by rotating the control stick in a full circle. The longer it is charged the more range it will cover. It has a slight chance of causing the opponent's attack to drop. As always, this move will be stronger if calm mind is activated and will keep the calm mind if it connects. This move is shield cancelable, however it does not save the charge.

Similar to how Virgil's spiral swords are in Umvc3, Delphox summons fire around him that he can use as a shield as he moves around. Similar to Megaman's Leaf Shield but only covers the front and back. Using this move will completely eat up a calm mind, if used without a calm mind it will hardly stick around.

Similar to Sheik's recovery move. Delphox does a small hop into the air and quickly uses a Fire Blast where he is currently at to boost himself into a direction. If you have calm mind active it will recover farther and deal more damage and knockback. Same rules apply, if the attack does not hit an opponent, Delphox will not keep the calm mind.
Smash Attacks

U-Smash: Delphox sticks his wand into the air. This is a single strike. With calm mind enabled it becomes multi-hitting, adding more damage to the final blow.

Side-Smash: Delphox sticks his wand in front of him. This is a single strike. With calm mind enabled it becomes multi-hitting, adding more damage to the final blow.

D-Smash: Delphox sweeps the ground with a fire spinning attack, not to be confused with the Neutral B.

Air Attacks

N-air: A tail whipping attack, hits slightly in the front and then in the back, similar to Samus' N-air. Missing with this move does not make you lose calm mind.

B-air: Delphox thrusts his wand behind him. If calm mind is enabled, the sweetspot is active and will cause very good knockback and damage, similar to hitting with the tip of Charizard's tail. You lose calm mind if you miss with this move.

U-air: Waves his wand above his head, similar calm mind mechanics apply to this move as well.

D-air: Delphox thrusts his wand downwards. When calm mind is enabled, a sweetspot is enabled that can spike, this move is Ganon d-air level of spikage. If calm mind is not present, this move cannot spike and does minimal damage. Player loses calm mind if they miss.
Tilts

U-tilt: Delphox hops slightly to wave it's wand into the air, fast and quick and used for comboing. calm mind gives this move a 1% damage boost.

D-tilt: Delphox sweeps it's tail on the ground, similar to Fox's tail sweep. calm mind does not effect this move.
Side Tilt: Delphox swing's his arm in front of himself to cause minor damage, doesn't have much reach or power. Is not effected by calm mind.

Jab: Delphox uses his claws to swipe at the opponents. Similar to Charizard's 3 hit combo. No rapid jab, not effected by calm mind.
Throws

Grab: Delphox uses Psychic to hold onto his opponent. All throws do 2% more damage with calm mind active (excluding F-throw) Knockback is also increased.

Pummel: Delphox uses his wand to smack opponents (0.5% increase on damage if calm mind is in effect)

U-throw: Delphox tosses them high up into the air. Isn't a combo throw, kills Mario around 170%, 150% if calm mind is enabled. Does the most damage out of any of his throws.

B-throw: Delphox uses his wand to fling them behind. Isn't a combo throw, kills mario around 130% near the ledge. 110% if calm mind is enabled.

D-throw: Delphox lifts his opponent up with his wand and then smacks them into the ground. Combos into U-air. Combo's into U-Smash at lower percents.

F-throw: Delphox holds them in place with his wand and smacks them with his tail. This move is not comboable and is not effected by calm mind. Kills at the edge around 180%.
Kill Moves

Up B: Fire Blast. Laggy but kills very early. Can read an airdodge to hit with it. Lasting hitbox, gets weaker the longer it stays out,.
Back throw: A strong Psychic throw, would kill Mario at the edge around 130%, 110% with calm mind enabled.
Back-air: (With calm mind) Hitting with the sweetspot of back air (the fire tip) will cause much greater knockback and damage. The sweetspot for this move is not present if calm mind is not enabled.
D-air: (With calm mind) Sweetspot with this move causes a spiking effect. Sweetspot is not there if calm mind is not enabled.

Delphox's final smash is a two part move. You push the B button the first time to activate the future sight. In about 10 seconds the move will come and cause a big but short explosion on the stage. The second b move is hypnosis much like Peach's final smash. If the players are not put to sleep by the hypnosis, shielding or getting out of the way can avoid the blast.

Pictures

SCREEN KO

Standing Pose
Nice one I really like this set, I only think the hypnosis final smash sounds abit weaker then Peach's, other then that it's really good nice job :b:

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman

Special Moves

Smash Attacks

Side-Smash: Delphox sticks his wand in front of him. This is a single strike. With calm mind enabled it becomes multi-hitting, adding more damage to the final blow.

Air Attacks

Tilts

Side Tilt: Delphox swing's his arm in front of himself to cause minor damage, doesn't have much reach or power. Is not effected by calm mind.

Throws

Kill Moves

Pictures

SCREEN KO

Standing Pose
Not bad, not bad at all!

TheJukeBox

Smash Rookie
I'd like to be added to the support list. For some reason, I really like tall characters...

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I'd like to be added to the support list. For some reason, I really like tall characters...
No matter the reason, we're glad to have you here. Thanks to you, we've just reached the quarter-century mark in supporters.

Does this call for a celebration?

Also, @ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster , I'll add your moveset to the front page once I take care of some logistical stuff.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
It makes me happy to see more supporters. Every little bit counts.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Great! Every little bit helps, imo. Now all we need to do is have someone really good at video editing make a fanmade trailer, and we're set. Nobody better be looking at me for that, I'm terrible at that kind of stuff :3

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
And there we go! A new moveset option, more support art, some smaller changes that make the front page work a little better, and a new tag line in the thread title!

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
And there we go! A new moveset option, more support art, some smaller changes that make the front page work a little better, and a new tag line in the thread title!
Not bad, not bad at all. it just needs a little work, and soon it'll look better than before. I'm working on my moveset, and am considering putting together some custom move variants, if that works out.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Alright, we're really gathering up a good amount of content. Now...how do we get word out to the rest of the Smash and Pokémon fans?

We'll need some kind of start. Some social media presence, perhaps? A twitter account? Facebook? Some kind of catchy tag phrase like "Operation Mystic Fire"? Maybe even a blog somewhere that highlights ideas?

We also need to get some prominent members in the community on board...well, more than just the high level Mii Brawler, anyway, heh. But how do we get their attention? How do we get them to give us the time of day?

If we're to stand a legitimate chance other than hoping for a wild card outside of the Ballot characters, we need to start making the right moves. With two months to go, it's more important than ever. Thoughts?

Last edited:

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Alright, we're really gathering up a good amount of content. Now...how do we get word out to the rest of the Smash and Pokémon fans?

We'll need some kind of start. Some social media presence, perhaps? A twitter account? Facebook? Some kind of catchy tag phrase like "Operation Mystic Fire"? Maybe even a blog somewhere that highlights ideas?

We also need to get some prominent members in the community on board...well, more than just the high level Mii Brawler, anyway, heh. But how do we get their attention? How do we get them to give us the time of day?

If we're to stand a legitimate chance other than hoping for a wild card outside of the Ballot characters, we need to start making the right moves. With two months to go, it's more important than ever. Thoughts?
Hmm.. As always, Delzethin, you have me thinking above my daily limit of summer thinking. A Facebook thing may work.. With K. Rool and Chrom out of the way, this should be a little easier, but still a big challenge. Let me think...

nonbinarysmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chaosmagic
I really like your moveset Jigglymaster.

@TrifoceofAura:
I'm pretty sure Chrom is out of the way but I won't rule K. Rool out yet ( the mii costume isn't ruling him out in my opinion )

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Spreading media over Twitter/Tumblr with the appropriate tags is at least going to get slightly noticed, if not heavily redistributed. That being said, it doesn't exactly work for less popular characters since such a method is most likely seen as bandwagoning after the big names did it. Getting known individuals to support your concept works if they 1) like the character or 2) are willing to hear your ideas, but the latter is something I couldn't describe to you how to do.

There are also small things you can do such as running around online modes with an appropriate tag. DELPHOX4SMASH or something like that, if it fits within the character limit, it's something I regularly do for my own main supported character, Sylux.

Last edited:

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Spreading media over Twitter/Tumblr with the appropriate tags is at least going to get slightly noticed, if not heavily redistributed. That being said, it doesn't exactly work for less popular characters since such a method is most likely seen as bandwagoning after the big names did it. Getting known individuals to support your concept works if they 1) like the character or 2) are willing to hear your ideas, but the latter is something I couldn't describe to you how to do.

There are also small things you can do such as running around online modes with an appropriate tag. DELPHOX4SMASH or something like that, if it fits within the character limit, it's something I regularly do for my own main supported character, Sylux.
Yeah I've been doing that with my streetpass and streetsmash message with "#Delphox4Smash<3" It's also my default shoutout message on Pokemon too.

Also I made this when I got bored enjoy :)

I might make an animated reveal based of this picture soon as a .gif

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I really like Jigglymaster's moveset. It gives Delphox a skillful playstyle that would make Delphox gameplay look drastically different depending on the player's mastery over the character. I like characters who have lots of options and freedom, as it gives the player more to think about. That's the main reason I main Rosalina and one of the reasons why I think Delphox would be a suitable addition to the roster, because he could definitely fit that kind of playstyle.

I have a moveset of my own in the works. I'm hoping to get a computer soon so I can work on it more efficiently.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I really like Jigglymaster's moveset. It gives Delphox a skillful playstyle that would make Delphox gameplay look drastically different depending on the player's mastery over the character. I like characters who have lots of options and freedom, as it gives the player more to think about. That's the main reason I main Rosalina,
I've always seen Delphox as a character of elegance who prefers perfection. With Project M's Lucas's playstle being the inspiration along with the fact that I run calm mind on my Delphox and depend on it in order to win (whether it be sweeping or Sp. Def Walling) it caused me to use that move essentially as the basis of that character.

With most unique characters in smash, Sakurai usually seems to make a character particularly good with a particular move that causes the player to use that move in order to use that character's gameplan. For example you almost never see a Shulk who doesn't use the monado arts, you never see a pacman that isn't trying to use the hydrant, you never see Rosalina mains not trying to abuse luma to it's fullest extent. And in the case of Delphox, you'd never see Delphox not trying to put on calm mind in order to buff itself.

It's that kind of uniqueness that I feel like Sakurai might actually see if we point it out to him. That Delphox CAN be a unique fighter who has a gameplan that no other character has brought to the table yet. Sure, it's been brought to PM before, but this isn't PM and PM isn't even a real smash game. And Delphox take's Lucas' Offense Up to a newer level by it effecting all of his special moves, a ton of his normals, his throws, his smash attacks, and his overall defense and attacking power. It gives Delphox a sense of being overpowered, but things only work out in your favor if you're really able to focus on landing those powered-up attacks, not to mention you can also opt to use his buffed Fire Spin (lasts much longer) or Fire Blast's recovery if you're in a pinch. To top it all off, it's a gameplan that fits Delphox's character.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Also I made this when I got bored enjoy :)

I might make an animated reveal based of this picture soon as a .gif
Not bad, not bad at all! The more promo art we have, the better. If you're up to that gif, that'd be better still!

Mind if I add that to the front page?

I've always seen Delphox as a character of elegance who prefers perfection. With Project M's Lucas's playstle being the inspiration along with the fact that I run calm mind on my Delphox and depend on it in order to win (whether it be sweeping or Sp. Def Walling) it caused me to use that move essentially as the basis of that character.

With most unique characters in smash, Sakurai usually seems to make a character particularly good with a particular move that causes the player to use that move in order to use that character's gameplan. For example you almost never see a Shulk who doesn't use the monado arts, you never see a pacman that isn't trying to use the hydrant, you never see Rosalina mains not trying to abuse luma to it's fullest extent. And in the case of Delphox, you'd never see Delphox not trying to put on calm mind in order to buff itself.

It's that kind of uniqueness that I feel like Sakurai might actually see if we point it out to him. That Delphox CAN be a unique fighter who has a gameplan that no other character has brought to the table yet. Sure, it's been brought to PM before, but this isn't PM and PM isn't even a real smash game. And Delphox take's Lucas' Offense Up to a newer level by it effecting all of his special moves, a ton of his normals, his throws, his smash attacks, and his overall defense and attacking power. It gives Delphox a sense of being overpowered, but things only work out in your favor if you're really able to focus on landing those powered-up attacks, not to mention you can also opt to use his buffed Fire Spin (lasts much longer) or Fire Blast's recovery if you're in a pinch. To top it all off, it's a gameplan that fits Delphox's character.
I've always enjoyed getting to see the thought process behind how something is designed, especially if it involves something creative. Having the entire set be based around intelligent use of Calm Mind would be a really unique kind of thing--the closest thing we have is the Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing, and all that does is temporarily increase her stats! Having a special that adds effects to much of the moveset and lasts until something whiffs is very different indeed!

Though I have to wonder if there should be some way to control if Calm Mind kicks in on a move, just in case you don't want to use the charge. Otherwise, you could easily lose it just from throwing out attacks to create space or force reactions in the netural. After all, even high level players don't land every attack they use.

Meanwhile, I've been working on a little something. You know the sprite I showed everyone a few days ago?

Check this out:

You wouldn't believe all the work that went into getting the shading right for every part of the recolor, but it was worth it.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Not bad, not bad at all! The more promo art we have, the better. If you're up to that gif, that'd be better still!

Mind if I add that to the front page?

I've always enjoyed getting to see the thought process behind how something is designed, especially if it involves something creative. Having the entire set be based around intelligent use of Calm Mind would be a really unique kind of thing--the closest thing we have is the Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing, and all that does is temporarily increase her stats! Having a special that adds effects to much of the moveset and lasts until something whiffs is very different indeed!

Though I have to wonder if there should be some way to control if Calm Mind kicks in on a move, just in case you don't want to use the charge. Otherwise, you could easily lose it just from throwing out attacks to create space or force reactions in the netural. After all, even high level players don't land every attack they use.

Meanwhile, I've been working on a little something. You know the sprite I showed everyone a few days ago?

Check this out:

You wouldn't believe all the work that went into getting the shading right for every part of the recolor, but it was worth it.
Go for it man! I'm also working on that .gif as I'm writing this, I'll edit this post once I have it ready.

EDIT: Well, here it is :)

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well there are some moves that I gave Delphox that make it not lose the calm mind, such as any attack that doesn't use the wand. For example, N-air, Jab, D-tilt, f-tilt, ect. Sakurai would proooobably be a little bit more forgiving than I would on losing the charge from missing an aerial attack where maybe they'd lose half the charge instead of all of it. Still, having the strong sweetspots on the aerials is a huge buff for Delphox in general so it'd definitely have to be one of those things that doesn't stick around forever.

Also love the shiny alt just as you would expect~ I'm a sucker for Delphox's shiny alt.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
On other news, Smashified Favorited my tweet to them about requesting Delphox, brought a tear to my eye that they even noticed. Wonder if they'd actually do it though, we can only hope...

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well there are some moves that I gave Delphox that make it not lose the calm mind, such as any attack that doesn't use the wand. For example, N-air, Jab, D-tilt, f-tilt, ect. Sakurai would proooobably be a little bit more forgiving than I would on losing the charge from missing an aerial attack where maybe they'd lose half the charge instead of all of it. Still, having the strong sweetspots on the aerials is a huge buff for Delphox in general so it'd definitely have to be one of those things that doesn't stick around forever.
I was thinking of a way that'd let you maybe tap the button to avoid using a charge like how you pick between Ryu's weak and strong tilts, but there'd have to be a way to keep the ability to save the charge from being overpowered. Or maybe make it so Calm Mind charges can be stacked, so you can have another one there if the first is used up? There're some interesting possibilities...

On other news, Smashified Favorited my tweet to them about requesting Delphox, brought a tear to my eye that they even noticed. Wonder if they'd actually do it though, we can only hope...
They favorite all of their responses. Sorry to dash your hopes like that. At least it means they're actively involved with their fans, right?

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
I was thinking of a way that'd let you maybe tap the button to avoid using a charge like how you pick between Ryu's weak and strong tilts, but there'd have to be a way to keep the ability to save the charge from being overpowered. Or maybe make it so Calm Mind charges can be stacked, so you can have another one there if the first is used up? There're some interesting possibilities...

They favorite all of their responses. Sorry to dash your hopes like that. At least it means they're actively involved with their fans, right?
Ah yeah I kinda thought it'll be like that, oh well still better than being completely ignored.
I took another look at their favourites and pretty much they favourite anything with @Smashified on the tweet might be a bot idk.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It's possible that you could stack calm minds, though if I had to guess, they'd treat it exactly the same way as WFT's where it'd be a lot slower if you already had one activated. However, I do believe you could calm mind, then use fire spin to get the good version of it, and then calm mind again so you have both. Delhox has a lot that he can do during the small resting period characters have inbetween KO'd stocks.

Also, if Delphox had custom moves, I'd wager they'd be these.

Custom 1: Is not effected by calm mind at all, rather it has a time that is inbetween the calm mind boost version and the regular version.
Custom 2: Non existent without calm mind, incredibly boosted with.

Custom 1: Does less damage but no longer requires the circle motion to create the extra waves. Automatic.
Custom 2: Does more damage but is no longer shield cancel-able. You are committed to the move.

Custom 1: Delphox uses a strong wind to push itself for a longer recovery, does not do damage nor does it use up calm mind.
Custom 2: Delphox's Fireblast is much bigger, however releasing it takes a little bit longer and rather than getting a recovery boost from calm mind, it gets a power boost.

Down Special: Calm mind
Custom 1: Calm mind acts on a timer similar to WFT, rather than going away from a single missed hit.
Custom 2: Calm mind charges up faster, but the effects are not as strong as they used to be.

In a competitive environment, Delphox would prolly be best using 3111 or 3112

Last edited:
Top Bottom