• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flamecaller of Kalos: Delphox for DLC! What future do the flames foretell?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm wondering if it would be more interesting
if we had all the movesets like drawn out in pictures
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I feel like I'm probably the most capable of that out of anyone in our current group. That being said, it's quite the possibility that I'll do something like that soon.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
If I had a computer right now I'd be working on photoshopping some art for the front page or considering that I'm an evil person, I'd probably be working on a fake Delphox leak.

Maybe it's a good thing that I don't have a computer, haha.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Meanwhile, I've made a small amount of progress with recolors.

You didn't think I was going to stop at the shiny, did you? This is probably the color I'd use myself.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Meanwhile, I've made a small amount of progress with recolors.

You didn't think I was going to stop at the shiny, did you? This is probably the color I'd use myself.
Ooooh, need need need. I almost wish we could have custom-colored Pokémon in game now.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Spreading media over Twitter/Tumblr with the appropriate tags is at least going to get slightly noticed, if not heavily redistributed. That being said, it doesn't exactly work for less popular characters since such a method is most likely seen as bandwagoning after the big names did it. Getting known individuals to support your concept works if they 1) like the character or 2) are willing to hear your ideas, but the latter is something I couldn't describe to you how to do.

There are also small things you can do such as running around online modes with an appropriate tag. DELPHOX4SMASH or something like that, if it fits within the character limit, it's something I regularly do for my own main supported character, Sylux.
Possibly, it's worth a try. I'm fighting a losing battle trying to get Quote in, and all of my supported characters(Delphox, Riolu, Quote, and Magolor) are all long shots, except possibly Quote.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
I need to start practising my drawing again but if you need a video editor, I'm the guy.
(It's what I used to animate then put into Photoshop to turn into a .gif) :)

Last edited:

nonbinarysmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chaosmagic
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I feel like I'm probably the most capable of that out of anyone in our current group. That being said, it's quite the possibility that I'll do something like that soon.
If you do something like that i cant wait to see that.

@ Shanoa Shanoa : Fake leak?!
just DO it
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A :
yeah thats really bad that they dont add shiny colours
but rather do some random ass colours T__T

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
yeah thats really bad that they dont add shiny colours
but rather do some random *** colours T__T
Greninja kiiiinnda has his shiny alt? It's not down to the specific colors, but he has the same kind of black at least? I really hope that if Delphox gets in that he has his shiny color. Tho as important as it would be for me, I'd rather much worry Delphox getting in at all instead, that's the bigger issue at hand lmfao.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Greninja kiiiinnda has his shiny alt? It's not down to the specific colors, but he has the same kind of black at least? I really hope that if Delphox gets in that he has his shiny color. Tho as important as it would be for me, I'd rather much worry Delphox getting in at all instead, that's the bigger issue at hand lmfao.
Iirc, in the Smashfest demo, Greninja had a real shiny alt which was pretty cool. When I got my hands on the game I was pretty disappointed because I was thinking that it was replaced with the pseudo-shiny alt. :/

Eh, I'm sure we'll at least get something similar to a shiny alt. Pretty much every Pokemon in the roster does (except Lucario, whyyy?!). I hope we get a really good variety of colors but in the end, it doesn't matter for me because I'd be using vanilla. :p

nonbinarysmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chaosmagic
I think Greninja having a black alt is probably because
it's a ninja and so black colours make sense. Probably a coincidence that it is close to the shiny colours.
nvm what i said xD

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So came across this article. It's looking pretty good for us

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/10/smash-ballot-more-suggestion-than-popularity/

Basically what the article talks about is that the Smash ballot is pretty much more about suggestion than it is about popularity. They aren't picking the characters with the most votes, they are picking characters with the most uniqueness to them that they could add to the game. In other words, this really could be our chance to get Delphox in.

Our main goal shouldn't be about getting a huge list of supporters, our main goal should be going on that ballot and explaining to Sakurai WHY Delphox would make for a unique character. We have our reason as to why Delphox would be a good addition so go on the smash ballot now, and explain to them our movesets we've created. Explain them the uniqueness Calm Mind could have, or explain to them the uniqueness Future Sight could do. Whatever you think. He's rewarding us for creativity and I believe we can make it happen. So the next time you vote for Delphox on the ballot, give Sakurai a legit reason as to why Delphox would make for a unique fighter.

It aint about the quantity of the votes, its about the quality.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So came across this article. It's looking pretty good for us

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/10/smash-ballot-more-suggestion-than-popularity/

Basically what the article talks about is that the Smash ballot is pretty much more about suggestion than it is about popularity. They aren't picking the characters with the most votes, they are picking characters with the most uniqueness to them that they could add to the game. In other words, this really could be our chance to get Delphox in.

Our main goal shouldn't be about getting a huge list of supporters, our main goal should be going on that ballot and explaining to Sakurai WHY Delphox would make for a unique character. We have our reason as to why Delphox would be a good addition so go on the smash ballot now, and explain to them our movesets we've created. Explain them the uniqueness Calm Mind could have, or explain to them the uniqueness Future Sight could do. Whatever you think. He's rewarding us for creativity and I believe we can make it happen. So the next time you vote for Delphox on the ballot, give Sakurai a legit reason as to why Delphox would make for a unique fighter.

It aint about the quantity of the votes, its about the quality.
I've been thinking all along that the Smash Ballot is more of a nomination process than anything. There are too many ways to skew something based purely on number of votes--something you only need to spend about an hour on the Internet in some places to see--and from what I've heard, there aren't even any failsafes from keeping someone from voting multiple times from the same IP.

What they'll (probably) do is look at the characters with high amounts of nominations--and a handful of the mid range ones and even a few lows--and from there, run them through the same process they did with however many newcomer candidates they had for the initial game. Uniqueness and moveset potential are probably the most important things here, since we know that was a big deal for them based on what Sakurai has said in his Famitsu columns. Relevance might or might not matter now that the fans can show they still care for a character even if they haven't been in the spotlight for a long time.

Anyway...we still need to get our ideas out there, since the more attention we can get the more likely it is Delphox would be seriously considered. But further proof that it's not a straight up battle for votes does help us.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
By the way, @ DragonSkator DragonSkator , I was thinking your gif might get us a little attention if it was uploaded over at Know Your Meme, among other places. They have a whole subsection for Smash-based stuff, including character predictions and Smash Ballot talk.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
By the way, @ DragonSkator DragonSkator , I was thinking your gif might get us a little attention if it was uploaded over at Know Your Meme, among other places. They have a whole subsection for Smash-based stuff, including character predictions and Smash Ballot talk.
Sure, I'll look into it.
EDIT: Okay I've uploaded my .gif to KnowYourMeme and today I thought of practising using my new drawing tablet and this is what I came up with, the animation doesn't look that great but for first try at it, it looks okay I guess. :)

EDIT AGAIN:
I thought I would make the alternative colours more "presentable" so here's this :)

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Shame the only comment so far on KYM is how magic users suck in Smash... We haven't really even had a proper traditional magic user yet except Robin and maybe Zelda.

It's like saying it's too risky to add characters who can float because Kirby was bottom tier sans Pichu in Melee.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Big/Fat characters have always sucked in smash but clearly that hasn't stopped anyone from wanting K.Rool in.

Besides, like Sakurai actually cares about where they end up on the tier list, just as long as they're functional. All you have to do is give a character an easy kill move or something off a throw along with a decent recovery and bam they're good.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Yeah, acting like a character with a specific power set would automatically suck is a really stupid way to look at it.

Or maybe that commenter was being more pessimistic than anything, and didn't have any faith that Delphox would end up good.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah, acting like a character with a specific power set would automatically suck is a really stupid way to look at it.

Or maybe that commenter was being more pessimistic than anything, and didn't have any faith that Delphox would end up good.
It's the smaller things to a moveset that make a character good, not the overall moveset. For example, Marth was a great character in both Melee and Brawl. It seemed like his moveset just never caused him to fail. But we can clearly see that this is not the case in smash 4. Same goes for Captain Falcon where he was good in 64 and melee, then became bad in brawl, then good in smash 4. He had the same moveset for the entire time, its just the properties to those moves that count the most.

Delphox could be good, or could be bad, it depends on the frame data, the knockback, and the damage that the dev team would give him.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
You know, it's really interesting. Unlike a lot of the sleeper characters, Delphox actually has small pockets of support here and there. I wonder how possible it'd be to unite them all...

In the mean time, here's the Verdant palette!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The Verdant Palette looks pretty cool!

Also cool news, I finally found the Delphox model that I could put into my Maya 2014 program. Hoping to get to work on that soon! Just a few kinks I need to work out like how to change Delphox's eye expressions and how to make fix it's rendering and the fire on it's wand.

Last edited:

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Ah yes Maya, if you ever fix the eyes please let me know because I was originally planning to use that 3D model for my reveal card but it looked weird because of the eyes.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
You know...thinking of Know Your Meme again, I wonder if we could do some kind of viral marketing? Play off stuff that's popular at the moment to get people to notice us?

We'd need something to get people to realize it was us, though. An insignia we can shop onto our work. Some kind of operation name, along with a Twitter hashtag or something?

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
You know, it's really interesting. Unlike a lot of the sleeper characters, Delphox actually has small pockets of support here and there. I wonder how possible it'd be to unite them all...
From what I've seen on the internet by experimenting with people's interests, Delphox seems to have quite a lot more fans hidden about than I originally thought.

Delphox hate sprouted from a number of different issues (not meeting Team Fennekin fans expectations pre-release, had an ugly 3D model, etc) and since the hatred was fueled by memes and certain incidents (like that POTW writer at Serebii who hurled insults at Delphox/Delphox fans), it seems like most people just hopped on the bandwagon and the Delphox fans have been staying quiet because of it.

But it seems that with such a likeable design (to fans of magic, foxes, mythology, furries, etc), Delphox does have her fans (wherever they may be hiding) and she definitely has the popularity (though it's not entirely positive), being the fire starter of one of the coolest starter trios (like c'mon, it's an RPG trio). Delphox would be a relevant addition to the roster because she was introduced in the latest generation.

Anyway, I don't know what I was trying to say, but the potential for support is there, and there is hope for us to succeed.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Mobile double post, ignore this.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
From what I've seen on the internet by experimenting with people's interests, Delphox seems to have quite a lot more fans hidden about than I originally thought.

Delphox hate sprouted from a number of different issues (not meeting Team Fennekin fans expectations pre-release, had an ugly 3D model, etc) and since the hatred was fueled by memes and certain incidents (like that POTW writer at Serebii who hurled insults at Delphox/Delphox fans), it seems like most people just hopped on the bandwagon and the Delphox fans have been staying quiet because of it.

But it seems that with such a likeable design (to fans of magic, foxes, mythology, furries, etc), Delphox does have her fans (wherever they may be hiding) and she definitely has the popularity (though it's not entirely positive), being the fire starter of one of the coolest starter trios (like c'mon, it's an RPG trio). Delphox would be a relevant addition to the roster because she was introduced in the latest generation.

Anyway, I don't know what I was trying to say, but the potential for support is there, and there is hope for us to succeed.
The way you describe that is really interesting. It kind of reminds me of Krystal's support base: deceptively large because of how quiet they are when they aren't being rallied for something. I mean, we're obviously not as well off, but it does mean Delphox may not be as much of a long shot as it initially seems.

Meanwhile, you know how most of the Pokémon characters we've had have palette swaps that reference other mons? Charizard has one based on Golbat's colors, Greninja has a Lickitung one, and one of Lucario's resembles either Mewtwo or Mienshao.

Well...why should Delphox be any exception?

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I got it! How about some kind of campaign name or operation name and a logo we can use so potential supporters have something to associate us with? Anyone have any ideas in that regard?

In the mean time, here's another recolor.

The Predecessor palette actually has something in common with the previous one. Does anyone remember who the first fox Pokémon were?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
You know...thinking of Know Your Meme again, I wonder if we could do some kind of viral marketing? Play off stuff that's popular at the moment to get people to notice us?

We'd need something to get people to realize it was us, though. An insignia we can shop onto our work. Some kind of operation name, along with a Twitter hashtag or something?
Going off that, I have a couple ideas now. Nothing too fancy, but something to get discussion going.

"Operation Mystic Fire" could work for a campaign name. It's simple and easy to associate with Delphox if you're a Pokémon fan, and even though the move is named Mystical Fire, chopping off the last syllable lets it roll off the tongue better. Supplement it with some obligatory #Delphox4Smash hashtags, and we could be set.

As far as a logo goes, what about taking a silhouette of a Smash Ball and sticking a silhouette of Delphox's ears onto it, then setting it against a background of really cool looking fire? Again, geared more toward being easy to associate with a theoretical campaign and easy to tell what it's supposed to be for.

But if you have any other ideas, let's see what you think! The more suggestions we have, the better our chance of finding one that works really well.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
what about taking a silhouette of a Smash Ball and sticking a silhouette of Delphox's ears onto it, then setting it against a background of really cool looking fire?
Although that sounds cool on paper but when actually doing it myself, it just looks like a smash ball with wings... Lol

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Wait, that's you!? Wow, I had no idea.

So I guess the gang's all here, more or less?

Although that sounds cool on paper but when actually doing it myself, it just looks like a smash ball with wings... Lol
Yeah, I guess I should've seen that coming. Maybe there's a way to work it so that it's more recognizable? Or maybe we should find something that works better...

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Dang, I could see how the ears wouldn't work... :/

How about making the Smash cross with twigs or a broomstick like how Omni did the Smash symbol with art tools for the Smashified logo?

Idk, it's kind of hard to think of ideas on what we could use to symbolize Delphox that people would recognize. I think we could also try creating a logo with a wizard hat silhouette instead of ears.

Wait, that's you!? Wow, I had no idea.

So I guess the gang's all here, more or less?
Yep, I think most of the Delphox supporters we've seen on the internet are already supporters in this thread lol. If you've come across any threads about Delphox on the internet, I probably participated in it or created it myself haha. :p

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Dang, I could see how the ears wouldn't work... :/

How about making the Smash cross with twigs or a broomstick like how Omni did the Smash symbol with art tools for the Smashified logo?

Idk, it's kind of hard to think of ideas on what we could use to symbolize Delphox that people would recognize. I think we could also try creating a logo with a wizard hat silhouette instead of ears.
People would associate a wizard hat more with Black Mage than anything, and it's not like Delphox wears anything resembling a hat anyway. The crossed wands could potentially work, but it wouldn't be as solid since it's not a key thing that'd instantly be recognized. We need something that nails it.

...Wait...okay, how about we take a shot of a Smash Ball as seen from straight ahead, attach Delphox's ears to it--again as if looking from straight ahead--then put glowing eyes on it that match the shape of Delphox's eyes? Each part (except for the glow) would use a single color, no outlines or shading, to match the more simplistic color schemes that have been popular in graphic design lately: black for the Smash Ball, yellow and orange for the ears and ear fluff, and fiery red for the glowing eyes. Then we use some kind of multicolored flame for a background!

And though it pales in comparison, here's the second-last recolor:

You know how sometimes Delphox's robes get compared to that of traditional Japanese mikos? Well, this palette goes all the way there!

I'm torn on whether to call it Maiden or Priestess. Although I suppose neither would work if we ended up with a male Delphox, lol.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcCHRW8G9yY Pretty much what was going through my head today while thinking of a logo haha, but I finally have an idea that I hope to share with you guys soon... :)

EDIT: Okay this is just the concept how the logo is going to be, any suggestions will be appreciated :p

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
EDIT: Okay this is just the concept how the logo is going to be, any suggestions will be appreciated :p
Oh, wow, that's actually really nice. My only real issue is how small the actual Delphox silhouette is--this icon would have to be small enough to work on Twitter and other places, so we'd need something more prominent, you know? It'd also be cool if you could get a multicolor effect on the fire, but it wouldn't look any good as a gradient effect...

And now, the last of my alternate colors:

Most characters have one that's a bit of an oddball, and here, the Ethereal palette is the only one where Delphox's ear fluff is not a shade of red or orange. The colors on this one were inspired by Chandelure, of all things!

I'm planning on putting all eight of these into a single image...hopefully soon.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
I've put them into a single image for you if you haven't done it already :)

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I've put them into a single image for you if you haven't done it already :)
Haha, thanks! I still want to make a few edits of them--fix some shading, etc--but this is a nice way to have them all together already!

How's the next logo version coming along?

Last edited:
Top Bottom