• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First time playing melee

Parks

Smash Cadet
I just picked up a good condition copy of melee for 60 bucks off ebay and ive never played before. Just wanted to ask about your guys first time playing

Pauer

The Pauerful
Heads up for your first time playing. Have fun with it, mess around in single player mode, unlock all the characters and stages and all the other good stuff.
One thing you might really want to do is use Y for jumps and use c-stick for aerial attacks instead of using A+direction.

I don't wanna spoil anything but I think buying melee for the GameCube is quite expensive and really only worth it for the collector value. If you wanted to go cheap, buy a used Wii and an SD card , softmod the wii (really easy) and play melee via nintendont. The big benefit of using a Wii is that it costs less than a copy of melee, even with a 16gb SD card and can play modded versions of melee, most notably the 20XX training hack pack.

When I got the game, I mostly played BTT and HRC, breaking personal records without ever looking up strategies online. I never learned about the tournament scene until 2.5 years later

Ministry

Smash Ace
i played Samus a lot in SSB64. so when melee came out i was so excited to use her "machine gun" that is in the starting trailer for melee. then i was super disappointed when there was none.

Parks

Smash Cadet
i played Samus a lot in SSB64. so when melee came out i was so excited to use her "machine gun" that is in the starting trailer for melee. then i was super disappointed when there was none.
rip

Parks

Smash Cadet
Heads up for your first time playing. Have fun with it, mess around in single player mode, unlock all the characters and stages and all the other good stuff.
One thing you might really want to do is use Y for jumps and use c-stick for aerial attacks instead of using A+direction.

I don't wanna spoil anything but I think buying melee for the GameCube is quite expensive and really only worth it for the collector value. If you wanted to go cheap, buy a used Wii and an SD card , softmod the wii (really easy) and play melee via nintendont. The big benefit of using a Wii is that it costs less than a copy of melee, even with a 16gb SD card and can play modded versions of melee, most notably the 20XX training hack pack.
I use x to jump, is that how most melee pros play tho

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I played this game when I was 11, right as it came out, at my neighbor's house and he kicked me out for "cheesing." Bought it on my own, got bored of it because I can only punch Bowser in the **** so many times by myself before I lose interest.

Learned there was a tournament scene in high school right before Brawl came out. Didn't care.

Learned the tournament scene wasn't as lame as I thought it was (or I was far lamer than I thought I was. Probably both) about two years ago, as a grown man. The kind of grown man in enough financial and social stress to turn to a children's novelty fighting game for competitive entertainment. Dug up my old gamecube and copy of melee, found some friends who play, and here I am.

Living that dream.

...I also use X to jump.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Yeah either X or Y is fine but I think using Y is objectively better even though I use X. I don't think it's worth a switch but there are some minor benefits from using Y so I recommend it to anyone starting out.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Sounds like you like Ganon since you mentioned him first. Learning how to play Ganon is as simple as reading and posting here.

http://smashboards.com/forums/ganondorf.110/

Check out my guides on techchasing and edgeguarding, as well as other stickied threads and ASK QUESTIONS. The Ganon boards are possibly the most active on this site for melee.

Marth or(/and) sheik makes more sense, like using Y over X does for waveshining, but if I could go back, I'd be dual maining Marth and Ganon... make a decision after a few more months once you have a better feel of each character. The best "counters" are marth over spacies, or Ganon over IC's (a rough matchup for most sheik players). Not saying Ganon absolutely beats climbers worse than sheik does, but the matchup is about the same in that regard and much simpler. And then there's the general ease of using sheik in general. You flat out have to focus less in neutral (the most important part of the game) as sheik. Her punish game is simple and reliable. Thank God she doesn't have a good dashdance lol.

For me... I love Ganon, so I stick with him. I second marth, and sheik doesn't really feel right. Just gotta find what works best.

Last edited:

Parks

Smash Cadet
Sounds like you like Ganon since you mentioned him first. Learning how to play Ganon is as simple as reading and posting here.

http://smashboards.com/forums/ganondorf.110/

Check out my guides on techchasing and edgeguarding, as well as other stickied threads and ASK QUESTIONS. The Ganon boards are possibly the most active on this site for melee.

Marth or(/and) sheik makes more since, like using Y over X does, but if I could go back, I'd be dual maining Marth and Ganon... make a decision after a few more months once you have a better feel of each character. The best "counters" are marth over spacies, or Ganon over IC's (a rough matchup for most sheik players). Not saying Ganon absolutely beats climbers worse than sheik does, but the matchup is about the same in that regard and much simpler. And then there's the general ease of using sheik in general. You flat out have to focus less in neutral (the most important part of the game) as sheik. Her punish game is simple and reliable. Thank God she doesn't have a good dashdance lol.

For me... I love Ganon, so I stick with him. I second marth, and sheik doesn't really feel right. Just gotta find what works best.
that's cool m8.Bizzaro is my fav player and m2k is second so that's why I want to main them

oh and nice pic :)

Parks

Smash Cadet
oh and btw is ganon an unlock, I am playing on the wii so I had to buy a memory card but its arriving 3 days after the game. Oh plus how is ganon in pm since im also getting a sd card for pm

Squire

Smash Apprentice
Generally speaking, everyone's good in PM. It's pretty well balanced. Some are better than others, but as far as I know everyone is viable. Except maybe Olimar but who cares about that guy?

Ganon is objectively the coolest character for off-the-ledge wizard foot kills and well timed up-tilts alone. Good call.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
no C stick in single player is a real drag though
It certainly is. I was pretty happy when I found out that after I got 20XXTE and had the wrong version of melee, despite the incompatibilities, a few features work anyway. C-stick in one player and turning off rumble by pressing down on the d-pad at the character select screen are among these. It makes 1 player much more fun.

Last edited:

MysticSkarps

Smash Cadet
When I first played melee, I transferred from brawl. I was used to frame buffering, so I failed a lot in the beginning.

Top Bottom