• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Gameplay Footage of Smash Wii U Uploaded

Meleefan

Smash Cadet
Pretty sure it was confirmed that Brawl airdodging was going to be in this game... Have you been living under a rock until now?
I was joking, son. I knew it was confirmed, but many still insist on pointing it out.

Last edited:

Reoyoshi8

Smash Apprentice
...yo guys don't fret, Sakurai did say he was interested in patches.
IMO this game looks great, can't wait to play.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I think it looks great. Quit your whining

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
Quite laughable that many have already concluded this game to be a joke, as it's still in the making. You should reserve your judgments until after the Invitational, where actual top-level competitive Smash players can test out the mechanics and gameplay, rather than the players shown in some of these videos. Then, you can decide on your own if you wish to pursue this game competitively or not.

On another note, was it possible to confirm if hitstun was present or not?

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
It's not that they were promised or hinted, but rather that it seemed like the logical thing to do. But I'll still hope for stuff that makes the game more interesting and speeds up the pace of the game while adding technical skills into the next level. And we have Project M worst case scenario
Well I can't say it wouldn't be good if they kept those Melee elements

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
What's the item that made the tornado in the first video and the third one?

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Quite laughable that many have already concluded this game to be a joke, as it's still in the making. You should reserve your judgments until after the Invitational, where actual top-level competitive Smash players can test out the mechanics and gameplay, rather than the players shown in some of these videos. Then, you can decide on your own if you wish to pursue this game competitively or not.

It's (kind of) confirmed. I did a video on the last direct and it appears there is hitstun. There are a few examples in these videos. For example - Skyloft, :30, Focus on the Two Foxes. It doesn't assure the kill but it's still there, cause other fox doesn't tech. Thats the only one off the top of my head, only cause I just posted it :b:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
guys guys
this community is awesome, give it a couple months before someone makes an outstanding mod for it (see: brawl+, 20xx, PM)
how do you know this will be moddable? we got lucky with brawl.

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman

when will it start ???

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Shofu tweeted that hitstun was in the game.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Kirbys cutter looks nerfed.
the wave that comes out is super short now.

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
This looks MUCH faster and a lot less floaty than the 3DS version. However I'm going to wait till I see the tourney to post initial judgments. Tomorrow I'll post a update on my feelings on it after playing the thing at bestbuy.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Wavedashing is fun but it is not what makes for competitive smash. L canceling is debatable whether it's even necessary or not.

ALL I care about is the potential for ACTUAL combos that promote an aggressive playstyle and balanced characters with good movesets. This is coming from a competitive Melee player. Nintendo isn't Capcom and we shouldn't expect them to act like Capcom releasing a new version of the exact same game every year. At the very least, Nintendo officially recognizes that people like to play this game 1v1 without items, and that means they might just focus developing a game engine that caters to that.

And y'know... there's still the possibility of a Melee HD remake... maybe.

zerokoh

Smash Rookie
Thought: Why don't we all wait until the game is completed and players have had time to experiment with it before we declare it a failure? New possibilities await and we literally have less than 24 hours of game play on the books - many of which were not logged by the competitive community. I'm not suggesting this game will be as great as melee, but it's too early to say this game should be disregarded...

...or we could rage-quit on a game that's not even released yet. That's cool too.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
If you watch how fast the characters are falling, recovering.. especially in the first vid if you focus on Samus.. I'm seeing more Melee type physics in play rather than Brawl (wavedashing, L cancels aside). Not even close to being as floaty as Brawl in my opinion. I don't know what you guys are seeing.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
People seem to forget that Sakurai said HIMSELF that the game wouldn't be as fast as Melee. This looks tons faster than Brawl, imho.

Plus, if what people are about hitstun is true, then I'm a happy camper.

(Is it me or does the hitbox for Zelda's f-air/b-air look bigger? And dat Din's Fire blast hitbox doe)

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
yes its like 4:40 it has not came on yet gosh ive been watching and watching but it has not came on yet
It's 5:40-ish here, that means you're only an hour behind me if it's 4:40-ish there. Which means, for you, the Invitational will start at 6 p.m.

electricSprites

Smash Rookie
NNID
alphryd
3DS FC
2294-4781-6234
I think that L-Canceling might not be needed, it seems to me, at least, that ending lag on aerials is very low, giving the illusion of L-canceling, while not actually doing it.

As for it being as fast as Melee, things aren't all that bad, I'm cool if it ill be a slightly slower version of P:M with brawl Air Dodges.

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
Remember guys, we haven't seen this game played competitively yet. The people playing are just E3 attendants, and not people who do it for a living.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Some people aren't judging correctly,so far,the game is looking much faster than Brawl,it's just harder to see that thanks to it being free for all and items being turned on.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
We just need to see good players play this game, thats probably why it looks so slow. Not just Kirbys who spam Down-B.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Smash doesn't need wavedashing and L cancelling.
Amen. Smash 4 doesn't need glitches to be a great game, and things definetly look better than Brawl so far.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I expected this game would be its own (as in no Melee 2.0, no Brawl 2.0) and that's what I'm seeing so far. I mean, I understand making some comparisons, but to actually expect that you were gonna get Melee 2.0 is silly, especially when the aim was for a good balance. I just feel that people should open up to their minds a little more. Appreciate what you get and make the best out of it. Wasn't Melee a great accident? Didn't Brawl make due with what they had and kept it alive for as long as it did? I just thought that's what Smash was all about. If you want a true, hardcore, competitive fighter, you may be in the wrong community :/

Excuse the rant, it just kind of bugs me when people are already dismissing games that haven't come out yet. Patience my good people.

On another note, my eyes have been like O_O trying to keep up with everything on the screen. I do like what I see so far from a FFA, casual standpoint. Now an hour until the Invitational :)

Ulevo

Smash Master

I just want to point out that the top level players told everyone that Brawl was a joke shortly after it's Japan release, and people thought they were idiots. People will blindly believe what they feel like regardless.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
This is lookin pretty fun. Still have no clue on the utility of the villager's tree chopping move.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'm looking forward to the actual tournament. There's way too much visual noise in these videos to make out anything meaningful or useful. So far all I can see is that the screen KO's are awesome.

Top Bottom