• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire-Fox Mid Flight Turn-around Up-B

What do you think about this?

• Pretty useful

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rikke

Smash Rookie
NNID
SageDragoon
3DS FC
0473-8198-9847
Boy that title is a mouthful,

Hey Fox boards it's me, Rikke! here to dump useless (kinda-sorta-sorta-kinda) Knowledge on you guys.
I don't have a good way of Video capturing so you'll just have to visualize what I'm talking about.

So while messing around in melee with our little 20XX furry, I noticed that when I held the opposite way I was facing mid Up-b Fox would turn around at the end of the flight. Needless to say after learning how to do that it's saved me from many situations, after getting shine-spiked, that I thought would be un-recoverable. So I thought to myself "I wonder if I can do something similar in smash 4".

Low and behold yes we can. So I'm going to explain this the best I can. A prerequisite to preforming this technique is that you CAN NOT fly at a : 0,90,180,or 270 degree angle. I don't know why, but it does not work if you do.

So First you have to Fly the Fire-Fox at a diagonal angle, After the point where Fire-Fox has chosen you angle, but BEFORE you fly-off , Hold the opposite direction in which you were facing, and keep holding this direction until the Fire-Fox ends. There you go you just learn a cool little trick with Fox.

So let's talk application.The best use for this technique, if for stages that have a flat underside that you've just bumped your head against. The main reason for doing this is because the sweetspot for all recoveries faces more in front of the character instead of behind them. Let's take smashville for example, Say you were just knocked directly under the staged and now had to recover to the ledge, by applying this little tech, you have a greater chance of survival, because Fox will be facing the ledge, instead of away from it.

Another use I've noticed is that Fox's Momentum seems to shift slightly when he does this, so if you wanted to go for a Mangle, and then applied this to the end of if, even though you're facing away from the ledge you can drift slightly faster away from the stage, if need be.

The Final use I've found for this is when you go for the auto-canceled Up-B on stage this is much faster for turning around, as you already land turned around (I've also noticed it was slightly easier to perform the auto-canceled Up-B when I did this, might be from the momentum shift?).

Whew, that was a Lot of typing. Sorry if A LOT of people already know about this, just thought it would be nice to let people have another thing to think about in the back of their heads when trying to recover. All of what I said should also apply to Falco as well. So I'd Like to know, What do you guys have to think about this?

P.S. I've noticed that there are other characters that can perform something similar to this, these characters are: Captain Falcon and Lucario. (I recommend not using Captain Falcon's though, it KILLS his momentum.)
Edit: (thanks to Lazlo_Bananas Lazlo_Bananas !) https://youtu.be/Rlvu85SNrNE , this is pretty cool, it combines angling the Fire-Fox/Bird into the ground to to the slide, and you do a reverse in direction. I personally can see some use in this lol.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Yeah this has been known. The reversed-FireFox (or double fire-fox) is also known, but has limited application.

Overall, you're on the dot, the turn-around is useful if you want to land quickly facing the other side. The application with the reverse Fire-fox currently is unknown how helpful it is but it's honestly too difficult to master to bother using (imo).

EDIT: here's my video on Fire-Fox's properties. Description has some useful info:

Last edited:
Top Bottom