• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

GoriyaNexas

Smash Rookie
I'm actually currently doing a randomizer Run of FE7.

In a nutshell: Female Mage Lowen is best Lowen. :love:

That sounds like an amazing idea and I should try that since I recently tried playing through a new FE7 game. Its really boring being able to steam your way through the game without it being on a hard difficulty.

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
Since Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game (of which I can't wait to play the ones before) I have just started my first Lunatic mode runthrough.. I thought doing a hard run where I lost no characters would be enough to prepare me for it.. but it really wasn't.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Random rant:

*flips table* God damn same turn reinforcements and their god damn "learning" curve. More like "new players (or those who forgot from not playing in a while) will reset the chapter here" curve. End of turn reinforcements are good enough as a surprise without being anti-fun

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I like enemy phase reinforcements.

Player phase reinforcements are just free exp. There are already arenas/bexp/world maps for that if I want.

It tends to be pretty obvious where reinforcements will show up, so try to stay away from, or cover those spots if possible. Treat those spots like fog of war and you're good to go.

Since Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game (of which I can't wait to play the ones before) I have just started my first Lunatic mode runthrough.. I thought doing a hard run where I lost no characters would be enough to prepare me for it.. but it really wasn't.
Yeah, I feel as if lunatic is sort of its own game that you cannot really prepare other than simply playing it. However, simply playing the game at least one or two times through should be enough I feel. You get the idea of how the game works, where good item markers appear, what units might be good, etc.

If you want to trivialize the game you can pretty much do a Nosferatu tanking strategy by the time you hit around mid-game. Plus, the game to me feels hardest at the first 5-6 chapters. However, even that you can make easy work of by either choosing a +hp/+def avatar and training them with the water strategy on prologue and chapters one. By the time chapter two comes along Avatar with a +def pair-up on a fort or forest tile will pretty much be unavailable to be killed.

Afterwards, its merely trying to lure in a few enemies for units like Sully, Sumia, and Chrom to get to at least be helpful later on in the game. I would say you should not really train more than a handful of units. 6-8 I think is adequate. Although, after I did a chrom+avatar combination I pretty much solo'd the game with lucina, avatar, morgan, and chrom by the time I got nosferatu to simply breeze by the rest of the game.

Random rant:

*flips table* God damn same turn reinforcements and their god damn "learning" curve. More like "new players (or those who forgot from not playing in a while) will reset the chapter here" curve. End of turn reinforcements are good enough as a surprise without being anti-fun
I wish you could be given a warning to when enemy reinforcements appear or at least hint about their general location on spawn. Otherwise, Part 4 of radiant dawn on normal/hard mode is rather annoying. Reinforcements randomly appear behind your formation x.x

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I wish you could be given a warning to when enemy reinforcements appear or at least hint about their general location on spawn. Otherwise, Part 4 of radiant dawn on normal/hard mode is rather annoying. Reinforcements randomly appear behind your formation x.x
I remember a few chapters in Awakening foreshadow reinforcements through brief character monologue, though most of it was too vague about where they would arrive from. This should be improved in If to ease new players.

Chapter 21 isn't particularly clear about their reinforcements. At least you can memorize the phase frequency and locations to manage that nightmare.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm a little sad that the new FE is 2 versions, even if you can buy the other path as DLC. Regardless, still super excited on the game itself.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It may be the case that the NA version is one game.

Given how much they've been emphasizing the choices you make, it would be rather dissapointing if the only choice you make is with your wallet. :/

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Yeah, I did not see that coming. I thought it would use the spilt path route from the older games. The trailer leads me to believe that each side might have exclusive recruits. While it won't be the case for all, it does leave the possibility of having similar fighters on either side.

finalark

SNORLAX
Oh, and I have officially lost all interest in SMTxFE. It looks like neither.
To quote myself from another thread:

The trailer gives me the impression that someone at Nintendo noticed that Persona was really popular and said, "We need that on our consoles. Somebody go see if we can strike a deal with Atlus to make Persona 6 a Wii U exclusive." Somewhere along the line Fire Emblem got involved and this is the result.
As far the new FE goes, I like the idea of having two different playable stories but I'm really hoping it isn't entire aesthetic choice where your units are identical in all but sprite and names. Plus I'm hoping that they actually have some amount of moral ambiguity, because right now it looks like it boils down to "pick the samurais if you want to be the good guys, pick the Romans if you want to be the bad guys."

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I still give it a shot but the trailer I only recognize Tiki but I heard people saying that blue haired dude was MArth but it's like WTF. I still excited for it and hope it turns out good kinda like how Kingdom Hearts was WTF before it came out and then it turned out to be godlike.

Also the new 3DS FE The whole splits paths is from FE8 but the whole two versions is on PKMN level of annoyance. I hope the DLC is day 1 or I just buy the limited edition which has all of it.

EDIT: Prepare for more anime and waifu pairings real soon LMAO.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Wait there are two FE games, Pokemon style? And I thought it might be similar to the choice made in FE8, where the 2 routes are pretty different until they overlap. On another note, SMT x FE looks too close to being Persona-ish for comfort but we still have to see how it turns out.

finalark

SNORLAX
So, FEif is going to have a law path, a chaos path and I hear later there will be a neutral path as DLC.

I think I know what happened to the real SMT X Fire Emblem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

That trailer made my ****ing week. Seriously, I can't stop thinking about it!!

As far as the whole "is it two separate games" discussion goes, I really hope it's just one game, but ultimately it won't matter because I'm gonna purchase both games (assuming two are released) and play the hell out of them. I think the worst thing about that announcement is that the game won't be coming until 2016. It's going to be VERY hard not to spoil anything for myself if that's the case, especially since the Japanese get it in June. Though there is one minor spoiler already, regarding the various plot lines (IDK if I'd even consider it a spoiler tbh). If anyone cares to read about it...
There's a third plot-line apparently, available only as DLC. In that plot-line, the player allies with neither army. This DLC will be available at a later date. Source

On a side note...YOU GUYS NEED TO VOTE FOR CHROM IN THE SMASH BROS FIGHTER BALLOT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well if it was one game (hopefully it still is), I was thinking that you would have to go through one path and then the other to unlock the third neutral path. Kinda like how you need to do both Erika and Ephraim's route both to get super traineesbalthough this case didn't affect the storyline. Plus the two routes didn't drastically alter the storyline.

I can't be the only person who thought of Sigurd (or possibly Seliph) when I saw the guy in the cravat in the SMTxFE trailer
I didn't but now that you pointed it out, I can definitely see the similarity.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm getting a SA2B (Sonic Adventure 2 battle) vibe from the new FE where you have "Dark" and "Hero" side but in the end the "Last" mode they work together in the end.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Actually, I believe it's confirmed that in the third route you side with neither Hoshido or Nohr.

The most common comparison I've seen is to Der Langrisser.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I can't help but feel trying to split people up with pokemon-esque 'two games, two similar stories' routine is a bizarre, and perhaps risky move. This isn't pokemon with a multi-million, world-wide spanning fanbase who'll eat the games up like candy, this is Fire emblem, which was quite literally sprawled out on it's deathbed until Awakening rolled the proverbial 1% crit chance and saved the series from being canned. Pokémon gets away with it by virtue of being a cultural phenomenon that'll likely never lose steam, but FE? It's not so popular that this sort of approach wouldn't be scrutinised and criticised as money-grubbing. Especially as FE games are fairly story-orientated, it's basically cutting one of the draws of the series in half. I'm still excited for the game mind, I guess I'm just wary of the series doing something like that when it's only just got back on it's feet.

Hopefully they'll wrap both games up into a single package when it hits EU/NA. If not, the story differences had better be significant. If I end up running the same maps either way with recoloured/similar units who only vary in whether they're fighting 'FOR THE EMPIRE' or 'FOR THE POWER OF LOVE' I will be very disappointed. Whenever I see divergent story path choices, Tactics Ogre: LUCT comes to mind.

I've never played SMT so that whole trailer was just 2 minutes of 'wat' for me. I think I saw a couple of Pegasus horses but that was about the only thing I saw that looked like Fire Emblem.

Also on an unrelated note... recently bought FE: Sacred Stones of the e-shop, question. Is that Ross kid really worth the EXP I've been feeding him? I just cleared the mission with the fog and the villagers and the spider, and Ross is still painfully mediocre. I mean I could probably cut my losses right now if he isn't worth it and just play FE: Sacred Seth instead cuz that guy is ridiculous, but I'm hoping for him to turn into the Donnel equivalent at some point, he just doesn't seem to be transforming much.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Ross is worth if you love raw power it but you get two more characters like him along the way who are about the same if not better.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Also on an unrelated note... recently bought FE: Sacred Stones of the e-shop, question. Is that Ross kid really worth the EXP I've been feeding him? I just cleared the mission with the fog and the villagers and the spider, and Ross is still painfully mediocre. I mean I could probably cut my losses right now if he isn't worth it and just play FE: Sacred Seth instead cuz that guy is ridiculous, but I'm hoping for him to turn into the Donnel equivalent at some point, he just doesn't seem to be transforming much.
He's one of the best Beserkers in the game. He "gits gud" once he promotes to pirate because he will be able to double enemies. The other character like Ross you should invest time into is Amelia since she also destroys once she becomes a general.

Trash Ewan, he comes later and is a burden to train.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I only grinded Ewan for the Creature Campaign. He isn't very useful for the story since Lute and pre-promote Saleh are good magic users.

To each their own. :ohwell:

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Well that makes me feel better about feeding him then.

My team is Eirika, based Seth, Franz, Natasha, Ross, Lute, Neimi, Joshua, that general guy, Gillian?and the Pegasus knight who's name eludes me. Not sure about Neimi since she's so squishy and situational, but she's helpful often enough that I don't know if I should drop her just yet or keep working on her til she promotes.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Neimi will function, I suppose. There's a prepromote Sniper you get later whose probably better overall, though.

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
I've re-watched the new Fire Emblem IF trailer around 30 times. I was going to choose Nohr because of *ahem* obvious reasons ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ... But after seeing how one of your clan or family or whatever reacted (I'm guessing if you do choose Hoshido) when you returned.. I'm not so sure any more..

And that Onii-Chan thing from the trailer will become a meme without doubt.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If I can convince the little sister to come with me to Nohr I'm set. Otherwise I'll be forced to only play female MyUnit for Nohr route.

I am rather encouraged by the route the crossover seems to be taking. Rather than going for a direct crossover of worlds you simply have what seems to be a unique game with elements of both combined into a single game.

Crossover type things are disgusting to me. Rather than creating something a bit more new you simply rehash old characters and try to make them fit in a world that is forced rather than something that flows. The approach of this one seems to be taking a persona theme of everyday school life mixed in with the nighttime escapades of medieval and modern attire. The flying Pegasus morphing into a flying unit with engines on the backside is interesting.

Fire Emblem IF I really like the concept as well. Every since playing Mass Effect I wish there were more games that had complex stories with outcomes based on your decisions. Even if it is still linear for the overarching plot the side paths you can take on the way to the final destination are fun.

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

I really wonder if this shot, that was randomly tossed in all of the things we saw, was a bit of a hint that things are a bit more grimdark under the surface. This scene of ruined/nuked Tokyo is incredibly SMT and doesn't fit at all with everything else in the trailer and its tone. Really I'm just desperate for some SMT-like plot/direction, but I think it might be a possibility that what we saw may be somewhat intentionally misleading. Also if you really want to reach, you can see that next to the Tiki posters that you can find in one shot, there are posters that say "One of Millennium". That could mean nothing, but if it too is a reference, it could be about something like the Messianic Cult.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

I really wonder if this shot, that was randomly tossed in all of the things we saw, was a bit of a hint that things are a bit more grimdark under the surface. This scene of ruined/nuked Tokyo is incredibly SMT and doesn't fit at all with everything else in the trailer and its tone. Really I'm just desperate for some SMT-like plot/direction, but I think it might be a possibility that what we saw may be somewhat intentionally misleading. Also if you really want to reach, you can see that next to the Tiki posters that you can find in one shot, there are posters that say "One of Millennium". That could mean nothing, but if it too is a reference, it could be about something like the Messianic Cult.
Ya apocalyptic settings usually stick for the core SMT settings. Also Strange Journey. And the Devil Survivor games which although colourful were apocalyptic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom