• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finger Pain

Zhea

Smash Ace
More specifically, pain in my pinky and ring finger. My hands are pretty active in my life. I work as a computer programmer during the day, and play smash at night. I've been feeling aches in bother hands around my pinky and ring finger. Which is curious to me as they probably get the least use. I do calisthenics regularly and have never had carpel tunnel in my entire computer and game heavy life. Any one have any ideas on what might cause this?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
"I work as a computer programmer during the day, and play smash at night" sounds like a super hero introduction, haha.
Regarding the issue at hand: (forgive the terrible pun, I just can't help myself... :D)

It's quite often the part of the hand you don't end up actually using in strenuous activity, that ends up hurting ... and if that's the case, my first guess would be that you're too stiff in holding the controller. No need to hold on to that thing too tight, stay flexible.

Radiowar

Smash Cadet
might also have to do with your posture when seated (specifically if you are putting a lot of weight onto your elbows). if its pain specifically in your ring and pinky fingers, sounds like it could be ulnar nerve compression. i get that sometimes if i sleep on my arms weirdly, it's a very annoying kind of pain.

Chan Man

Smash Rookie
I got finger pains after using a wave bird for 4~5 hour sessions. It's heavier and when I switched back to wired controllers the pains went away. Xyzz is spot on when it comes to grip. I'm pretty sure it was the way I pressed the L shoulder button that my left pinky/ring finger cramped a lot.

I recommend finding a warm up prior to playing smash, or just play in shorter intervals. For example, I play piano or guitar before I turn on the gamecube to get my fingers going. Another decent game to warm up on is DJMAX on psp or pc.
Hope your fingers get a hold of themselves!

Zhea

Smash Ace
might also have to do with your posture when seated (specifically if you are putting a lot of weight onto your elbows). if its pain specifically in your ring and pinky fingers, sounds like it could be ulnar nerve compression. i get that sometimes if i sleep on my arms weirdly, it's a very annoying kind of pain.
My dad recently had surgery on both his elbows for this. I might have it, but I think it's unrelated. Better posture is something I've been striving for lately, seeing if it helps my focus. I rested them tonight and it seems to have subsided for, considering a longer break over thanksgiving.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I actually broke my arm last year in December. I waited two months to get surgery and by then my bones were fusing together again, one on top of the other. They had to break it, realign it and throw some metal onto it so now I have two metal plates and twelve screws in my arm. Needless to say the only reason I have as much control over my hand as I do is because I play Melee so much. However the downside to this is my arm/wrist/fingers hurt like a motherfu*cker after a couple hours of intense play.

There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about the pain other than just taking a small break so that's what I'd suggest you do. Also depending on how hard you grip your controller you might be putting a lot unnecessary stress onto your back fingers so just try to keep calm and not grip so hard.

Btw I have awesome surgery pics of my arm being open if anyone wants to see it. :D

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
The fact that all that happened to you and the urge for Melee is still there is enough for me.
Dayum.

Sanu

Smash Champion
I frequently have had finger pain in the past while playing melee; specifically the right index finger. If there's one thing that has helped me the most, it is finding different, better, ways to hold the controller, so that you can reduce stress on the problem areas. You have to experiment though. For me, I started l-cancelling with my right middle finger, and only grab now with my index finger, thus splitting the workload.

Hand stretches are pretty essential too.

Top Bottom