• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding your main

Zeko

Smash Rookie
I'm having such a difficult time deciding what character I wanna pursue and establish a true connection with. I'm torn between diddy, toon link and ness. There's games where I'll decimate with one and go on a 10 game win streak and get obliterated the other time. I realize that games are always meant to be give or take depending on skill but it's just discouraging. Anyone else having a similar problem on deciding their main and if so how are you overcoming this fiasco?

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
Just be patient with it. There are many ways to go about it, but If I were you I would just stick to one character (possibly the one you feel most comfortable with) and get to the point where you have no doubt that you are at your best with that character. It will be discouraging at times, but just make sure you don't change back and forth based on your recent performance. And once you get comfortable enough, you could pick up a second or third main the same way. Hope this helps.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Sometimes its just who you feel good wit . I never expected to like Greninja as much as I do. And while I prefer playing as Robin, I get the job done as Greninja the easiest.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I recommend picking a character you like (be it for the looks, play style, game of origin) and not a character that you can get the job done easiest. I know it is easier said than done, as I am yet to pick a main (Samus is listed mainly because Metroid is my favorite franchise, she isn't my main de facto), but that is IMO the ideal way of picking a main character. In Smash, at least.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Someone once told me that you don't pick your main, your main picks you.

Go into online and play some For Glory with random. That's how I found my main in Smash 3ds, which was ROB. I never considered ROB before trying him against other people, but he just clicked. He felt much better than characters I loved from their games such as Shulk, and I ended up playing a lot of ROB with a 90% winrate over 500 games by the time WiiU came out. Just find the character that feels right to you.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
If you really can't decide between the three then just pick the one you like best. Also don't be afraid to consider other characters.

I got smash 3DS and was sure I'd main Robin - I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan and just loved his character. The problem is that in smash, my mindset is extremely up-close and personal. Robin's meant to use strategic projectiles from a distance, and his melee attacks are to slow for me to just rush in. That's how I ended up maining Fox - he's only got 1 distance attack, and all his other moves are fast and 'in-your-face', which fits my play style much better.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Someone once told me that you don't pick your main, your main picks you.

Go into online and play some For Glory with random. That's how I found my main in Smash 3ds, which was ROB. I never considered ROB before trying him against other people, but he just clicked. He felt much better than characters I loved from their games such as Shulk, and I ended up playing a lot of ROB with a 90% winrate over 500 games by the time WiiU came out. Just find the character that feels right to you.

It is the wand that choses the wizard, Harry!

There is a thread by SamuraiPanda in these forums that explains how a main should / could be picked. It basically boils down to:
1. Use the characters that you like by design
2. Narrow it down to those that you really enjoy playing
3. Pick the one that you also win with.

Boom - there shouldn't be too many left.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I found my one true mains in pretty much instantly in every other smash bros.

This time I have 8.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Finding Your Main

1. Looks are everything. When selecting a Main, be sure the one you choose has a presence that is almost intolerable to your opponent. A hideous Wario who wins is a good looking Wario. A pretty Marth who loses is quite ugly to witness.

2. A copycat is a smartycat. Search online of the characters you think you would like to main. Watch videos and learn tactics you were like you recreate in your own experience when playing. When you see things that make you go "Ooh, that was good. I wanna do that", then practice those. When you like what you've done, continue on with more matches until it becomes as natural as breathing to you. From the newfound experienced moves you've learned, you are now able to fully add your own flavor to the mix that you can call your own. If it feels good enough to main, it is good enough as the main dish (lamest ****ing pun I eve-).

3. Sky's the limit? Oh how convenient, quote originator, because sky's the blast zone. Build your personality into your main, and don't rush to what's on paper as to who's good in what areas. Feel great with who you are playing as by not seeing the fighting element first, but as a platformer/acrobat, even if you're Ganondorf. Timing, patience and landing moves are crucial to your success or you bite the dust. There is no popularity contest. You just naturally become your own trademark when you put in the time.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom