• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding Strength In The Community

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Amid all the hype surrounding the explosive growth of major tournaments, top player sponsorships, and recognition by the eSports community, it may be easy for those outside of the scene to overlook the strength found on the grassroots side of things. The Smash community itself hasn't forgotten that, though; time and time again, its members have stepped up for each other with a bond stronger than mere friendship.

The Iowa scene recently got a shake-up when it became known that longtime tournament organizer and Smasher @Joker490Frozen was facing a battle with a rare form of cancer. He did not have to turn to the community for help, though; it came running for him instead. After creating a donation campaign on GoFundMe to support their friend, the Iowa scene has nearly reached their goal in under a week. This sort of motivation and respect for one another helps to remind us that Smash is more than just a game for many of us.

Project M Developer @Hylian shared a story of Joker's hospitality, noting that Joker housed him and another person for two days when their car keys went missing at a tournament and new ones had to be obtained. It's small acts like these that keep the scene chugging along strong after well over a decade. Your Smash tournament experiences may lead you to a lifetime of close contacts who are always there for you.

Nearly a decade in the community and I myself can say that I've grown close to so many other Smashers who are much more than just "gaming buddies." Remember to always support one another and always keep in touch. -Xiivi

Hi_C

Smash Rookie
Smash Community > Every other community

Hands down

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
Thank you @Joker490Frozen for indirectly contributing to getting my account approved, who's to say there would have still been a @Hylian to ask about getting approved if you didn't help.

Hopefully he'll have a quick recovery with minimal damage, (or at least just survive like TotalBiscuit unlike all the other great people I knew or heard about who got cancer) but his odds seem pretty good all things considered, so hopefully things will be ok.

Although his job not paying for medical and possibly firing him sounds like it might be the bigger problem than cancer once he gets his prosthetic leg.

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts to Majik in the front. He's been playing since the beginning and was a part of 5 Guys and a Yosh. Anyway, I've met Joker on multiple occasions and he really deserves this support because he has contributed to the Iowa scene a lot, and even the Nebraska scene, too.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Although his job not paying for medical and possibly firing him sounds like it might be the bigger problem than cancer once he gets his prosthetic leg.
I dunno. If he's getting a prosthetic leg, he can live off of disability, if he really wanted to. They even provide insurance, if I remember correctly. Just a thought.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
This is one of the reason's why i love the smash community. While i don't know who Joker is i hope he get's better!

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
When I see things like this, I forget all the Melee vs Smash 4, casual vs competitive, east vs west wars and see the community I truly love.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Truly amazing how, when it all comes down to it, any petty differences that we squabble about are simply gone, and we become something truly amazing.
Kudos.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Despite all the ****ty things about it, the Smash community pulls through sometimes.
image.jpg
Jigglypuff approves.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
Reading this warmed my heart. Our community may have it's flaws, but this is the kind of stuff that makes me love the Smash community so much.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
You're a fool if you put your trust in the Smash community. I say that as a guy who loves being here and loves Smash games.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You're a fool if you put your trust in the Smash community. I say that as a guy who loves being here and loves Smash games.
Not really. Even though a portion of the community are flaming jackasses they're at least NICE jackasses. If they see a member in trouble, they WILL help them. Besides, they went to him, he didn't go to them.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Not really. Even though a portion of the community are flaming *******es they're at least NICE *******es. If they see a member in trouble, they WILL help them. Besides, they went to him, he didn't go to them.
I was speaking in general terms. Obviously, there will be times when Smash lovers do good things for others, or help solve a difficult situation. That just doesn't represent a majority of the people here, the majority of the time. I place an extremely high value on trust. Trust, to me, is not a cheap or flippant thing. Thus, to some, I will seem overly serious in this matter. I'm not shocked by that.

I stand by my statement: you are a fool to put your trust in the Smash community, in the similar ways that you would be a fool to put your trust in the Girl Scouts, Wells Fargo bank, or Major League Baseball, etc. There is much elaboration to be made on my part, but I'll spare you the philosophy. I frankly don't have the motivation to type it out.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I was speaking in general terms. Obviously, there will be times when Smash lovers do good things for others, or help solve a difficult situation. That just doesn't represent a majority of the people here, the majority of the time. I place an extremely high value on trust. Trust, to me, is not a cheap or flippant thing. Thus, to some, I will seem overly serious in this matter. I'm not shocked by that.

I stand by my statement: you are a fool to put your trust in the Smash community, in the similar ways that you would be a fool to put your trust in the Girl Scouts, Wells Fargo bank, or Major League Baseball, etc. There is much elaboration to be made on my part, but I'll spare you the philosophy. I frankly don't have the motivation to type it out.
So you're saying that a majority of the Smash community are just complete inconsiderate jerks who won't help their fellow community members in times of crisis? Come on now, I openly voice my resent against the community and even I know that's not true. With the exception of a few, like maybe Leffen, M2K, and ZeRo, a good part of the community are nice, respectable people.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So you're saying that a majority of the Smash community are just complete inconsiderate jerks who won't help their fellow community members in times of crisis? Come on now, I openly voice my resent against the community and even I know that's not true. With the exception of a few, like maybe Leffen, M2K, and ZeRo, a good part of the community are nice, respectable people.
ZeRo not nice or respectable?

I cri everytim ;_;

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That isn't what I said. I was implying moreso that the community would be unreliable, which is the opposite of trustworthy - not "inconsiderate" or "jerk." Those are your words.

I fact, I did not name any names. For you to imply that Zero, M2K and Leffen are inconsiderate jerks is mighty presumptuous of you! Kind of cold-hearted, even. I don't presume to know what those men are like in their private lives! In fact, I have often seen Zero being very kind and charitable. Any personal grudges you may harbor have no bearing on this discussion. I would advise against libel or defamation. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I used to think I knew what kind of man Mango was, and I'm make smartass remarks I had no business making... until someone kindly put me in my place. Now I have nothing against Mango.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
That isn't what I said. I was implying moreso that the community would be unreliable, which is the opposite of trustworthy - not "inconsiderate" or "jerk." Those are your words.

I fact, I did not name any names. For you to imply that Zero, M2K and Leffen are inconsiderate jerks is mighty presumptuous of you! Kind of cold-hearted, even. I don't presume to know what those men are like in their private lives! In fact, I have often seen Zero being very kind and charitable. Any personal grudges you may harbor have no bearing on this discussion. I would advise against libel or defamation. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I used to think I knew what kind of man Mango was, and I'm make smartass remarks I had no business making... until someone kindly put me in my place. Now I have nothing against Mango.
Well, that's sure what it sounds like. You're doubting that the Community would help someone who's fighting against cancer. Sounds like you have a pretty low opinion of them. May I remind you that M2K gave out another Smasher's (might of been Mango) phone number on stream with thousands of people watching? Zero is a huge hypocrite and a rather dirty player, and Leffen is self-explanatory. No "personal grudges" here.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Well, that's sure what it sounds like. You're doubting that the Community would help someone who's fighting against cancer. Sounds like you have a pretty low opinion of them. May I remind you that M2K gave out another Smasher's (might of been Mango) phone number on stream with thousands of people watching? Zero is a huge hypocrite and a rather dirty player, and Leffen is self-explanatory. No "personal grudges" here.
I would agree with you about M2K, except that the only thing that doesn't make me want too blame him for that incident is his "friends" that obviously were being idiots and didn't even try too stop m2k himself or the stream itself, but kept on telling him too do it anyway.
Literally the only thing tbh.

ZeRo is eh, I don't think he is a dirty player, but he was being a bit of a hypocrite with that incident on twitter a while ago.

...And Leffen is... well Leffen :p

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I would agree with you about M2K, except that the only thing that doesn't make me want too blame him for that incident is his "friends" that obviously were being idiots and didn't even try too stop m2k himself or the stream itself, but kept on telling him too do it anyway.
Literally the only thing tbh.

ZeRo is eh, I don't think he is a dirty player, but he was being a bit of a hypocrite with that incident on twitter a while ago.

...And Leffen is... well Leffen :p
It was M2K's decision. Whether or not someone stopped him makes no difference, it was a completely idiotic and childish thing to do. ZeRo goes from "Oh my God, Diddy is so cheap, wah, wah." to maining him. Then he has the nerve to call Lucario cheap because he lost to one.
Truth be told, I actually kinda like Leffen. He's an entertaining asshole. Kinda like Hades. Everyone in a while, someone like HungryBox puts him in his place so he never gets too out of hand.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
It was M2K's decision. Whether or not someone stopped him makes no difference, it was a completely idiotic and childish thing to do. ZeRo goes from "Oh my God, Diddy is so cheap, wah, wah." to maining him. Then he has the nerve to call Lucario cheap because he lost to one.
Truth be told, I actually kinda like Leffen. He's an entertaining *******. Kinda like Hades. Everyone in a while, someone like HungryBox puts him in his place so he never gets too out of hand.
I can see where you are coming from.

Despite the fact that I 100% disagree with you, but whatever :p

But suppose its best we move on from this... especially since its unwanted drama.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I can see where you are coming from.

Despite the fact that I 100% disagree with you, but whatever :p

But suppose its best we move on from this... especially since its unwanted drama.
Don't see what's so dramatic about it, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Hi_C

Smash Rookie
None of these people are "bad people". People make mistakes and people have been accepted back into the community for FAR worse things. It's not your place to sit and judge the people who play this game. If they have done something directly toward you that is a different story but this isn't the case at all.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
None of these people are "bad people". People make mistakes and people have been accepted back into the community for FAR worse things. It's not your place to sit and judge the people who play this game. If they have done something directly toward you that is a different story but this isn't the case at all.
Who's judging? I have eyes and senses, therefore I can deem what's right and wrong. And invading someone's privacy like that is definitely wrong. If you see someone get robbed, you're gonna say, "Well, it didn't happen to me so I can't judge"? And who called them "bad people"?
Twitter Drama :p

Mang0's GF was popping off after M2k's stream.
shofu called M2K a "f*uckboy ass n*igga" on stream. That was hilarious.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Who's judging? I have eyes and senses, therefore I can deem what's right and wrong. And invading someone's privacy like that is definitely wrong. If you see someone get robbed, you're gonna say, "Well, it didn't happen to me so I can't judge"? And who called them "bad people"?

shofu called M2K a "f*uckboy *** n*igga" on stream. That was hilarious.
Yet somehow you let that slide >.>

Top Bottom