• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smashes and Project M.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Heya!

What I wanted to talk about was the idea of final smashes. I love them, personally, even if tourny players hate them. I only play for fun with friends, and throwing in a Smash ball is incredibly fun and hectic with 4 players- the problem is, though.. they come way too frequently and become annoying :\

What I want to ask a PMBR member, is that would it at ALL be possible to implement a way to control how often a smash ball appears? Any way to make it only appear once or twice in the standard 4 stock match?

What are your thoughts? c:

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I hope they fix up and make the existing ones work and give the new characters (Mewtwo and Roy) their own final smashes.

That being said, I don't believe that Final Smash implementation will be a priority of Project M as it strays a little too far from the goal of the project. Casual use of the Smash Ball and final smashes seems fun and fine, I just don't think it will be happening for competitive play especially for a community as conservative as the Smash community.

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
I would also like slight modifications to items.

One solution to the Smash Ball being too common might be to give it the Dragoon restriction, and make it only able to show up once per match. At the very least the frequency with which it appears should be brought down somewhat.

While we're on the subject of items, I would love a screen similar to the ON/OFF screen for items, but for Pokeballs and Assist Trophies. I don't know if the PMBR would want to put in the effort for this since items don't matter at all to the tourney crowd, but it's something casuals have wanted for a long time and I'm amazed Nintendo didn't add this option.

It would also be neat if an item that activates the Turbo status was made to appear in normal play, and just replaced the stopwatch or some other useless item.

I hope they fix up and make the existing ones work and give the new characters (Mewtwo and Roy) their own final smashes.
Balancing Final Smashes might be a useless endeavor, but characters that don't have them should definitely get one. They feel incomplete without them.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I remember SDoom saying awhile back that balancing final smashes would be interesting, but is not really a priority, and would be like final version stuff added, if ever added.

Prince Longstrok

I would also like slight modifications to items.

One solution to the Smash Ball being too common might be to give it the Dragoon restriction, and make it only able to show up once per match. At the very least the frequency with which it appears should be brought down somewhat.

While we're on the subject of items, I would love a screen similar to the ON/OFF screen for items, but for Pokeballs and Assist Trophies. I don't know if the PMBR would want to put in the effort for this since items don't matter at all to the tourney crowd, but it's something casuals have wanted for a long time and I'm amazed Nintendo didn't add this option.

It would also be neat if an item that activates the Turbo status was made to appear in normal play, and just replaced the stopwatch or some other useless item.

Balancing Final Smashes might be a useless endeavor, but characters that don't have them should definitely get one. They feel incomplete without them.
I asked them personally :D They said Mewtwo AND Roy would get their own final smash.

When I asked afterwards "Is Roys just going to be Marths/Mewtwo-Lucarios?" He replied that they would in fact, have their OWN Final Smashes c: I cant wait!

Dan G.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2449-4699-8739
I'd actually like to see a new final smash implementation. Like if you pull of a certain combo length you power up a "final meter" or something. And then when that meter's full you can to the final smash as a finisher or something. Since Project M is tournament-based, this also seems like a good idea, so you could have final smashes without items. And personally that's a huge leap forward, since I can't stand items at all. So basically, I'd just like to see final smashes without a smash ball. But hey, just my two cents.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
I personally think it would be better to change the final smash system to something like a hyper bar in other fighters. Maybe have it so you need to collect like 3 smash balls to get the final smash, and they appear in the same spot at specific times and don't float around the map. So over the course of a 3 stock game you MIGHT see it maybe once or something.

X-13

Smash Rookie
How about something like an X-Factor? Once a match, you can utilize the Final Smash or go into Turbo Mode for 3s.

Could be something like:
Up Taunt, A + B : Final Smash
Down Taunt, A + B : Turbo Mode (3s)

Obviously, you'd have to be taunting in order to activate it.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
^ Or your could make FS balls just grant turbo mode instead of specific attacks. It would instantly be balanced for every character (no need to alter any FS attacks) and it would be more suitable for advanced play.

X-13

Smash Rookie
I'm open minded. I'd like to see something where Final Smashes are implemented somehow, someway. I know I'm in the minority, but I've always felt that the idea of Final Smashes in competitive play was the next, logical, natural progression for the series to take. Right now, Smash is somewhat like MvC, minus the Hyper Combos. If they find a way to make it work, I'm game. If not, whatevs, game on anyway.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

Yeah!!!! That would be awesome, I'd love to be able to tweak the ATs/Pokeballs. And a Turbo item, hnnnnnnggg, that would be so exciting.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
BlackJax96 is actually working on it, since the program is called Ikarus. Right now, It's on hold until BrawlBox v0.69 gets multiple fixes for another quick update.

Prince Longstrok

It might be totally possible for their to be a turbo item o:! Remember that the turbo mode replaced spicy curry mode... so in theory couldnt they just replace the effects with the item in game? c:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I would love to change how smash balls work, but as of now, the incredible amount of undocumented commands and variables in the item parameter file make editing it a no go....

D:

It'll have to wait much much later towards the final release sadly unless I somehow get help from a wizard when they have the time to do so.

Prince Longstrok

I would love to change how smash balls work, but as of now, the incredible amount of undocumented commands and variables in the item parameter file make editing it a no go....

D:

It'll have to wait much much later towards the final release sadly unless I somehow get help from a wizard when they have the time to do so.

Are you a member of PMBR? c:

And I totally understand ^_^ I was just curious about the whole thing :3

lukifer

Smash Apprentice
If Final Smashes do become an integral part of gameplay at some point, I'd like to see them activated with a different button combination. Having them overwrite neutral B input was a poor design choice in my opinion, even if it's only for a brief time. How about a simultaneous A+B combination instead?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Yeah I didn't like not being able to use Mario's fireballs half the time when I had a final smash. Maybe instead of B or A+B like lukifer said (there would be problems with Lucario) it could be activated with a taunt? Though that would make it weird to align yourself with the thumb you don't normally use for specials. The only other think I can think of is making shield+special the input. Though THAT could mean you'd accidentally air dodge in the air. Hmmm... any ideas anyone?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yeah I didn't like not being able to use Mario's fireballs half the time when I had a final smash. Maybe instead of B or A+B like lukifer said (there would be problems with Lucario) it could be activated with a taunt? Though that would make it weird to align yourself with the thumb you don't normally use for specials. The only other think I can think of is making shield+special the input. Though THAT could mean you'd accidentally air dodge in the air. Hmmm... any ideas anyone?

A+B is fine IMO. Or let them do a new input for FS's activation and let us customize which button to use it on. (I suggest the D-Pad though)

I'm more towards the concept of the hyper bar BTW.

Also I wish they'd be able to make some FS's useful or buff 'em-- Like DK's or Peach's. It's really annoying how some of them were borderline useless.

lukifer

Smash Apprentice
Oops, forgot about Lucario. Whatevs, who needs a Final Smash when you can just throw a Spirit Bomb? ;)

lukifer

Smash Apprentice
A+B is fine IMO. Or let them do a new input for FS's activation and let us customize which button to use it on. (I suggest the D-Pad though)

I'm more towards the concept of the hyper bar BTW.

Also I wish they'd be able to make some FS's useful or buff 'em-- Like DK's or Peach's. It's really annoying how some of them were borderline useless.
TBH I doubt that they'll put much effort into changing Final Smashes because they were so unbalanced, as you said. It's already hard enough to balance normal movesets. Add to that the fact that most competitive players don't seem to care about FS's, and it doesn't seem like it would be worth their time to balance them. But we can dream...

Prince Longstrok

TBH I doubt that they'll put much effort into changing Final Smashes because they were so unbalanced, as you said. It's already hard enough to balance normal movesets. Add to that the fact that most competitive players don't seem to care about FS's, and it doesn't seem like it would be worth their time to balance them. But we can dream...
Maybe they can add it to the list of "non important things to do once we achieve our main goal" :D

who knows.. 5 months ago the idea of a perfect Roy and Mewtwo seemed impossible.. but now look what happened.. :)

Also, to any it concerns, having the original Mewtwo cry from the games as his entrance animation literally makes me squeel like a little girl. I LOVE IT!

Top Bottom