• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Games Thread

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
A new Fatal Fury Game? Wasnt the Franchise only really in KOF for a long time!
I wonder with Smash Using tons of Fatal Fury Pre Timeskip Stuff how they handle a garou mark of the wolf 2?
Maybe make classic Terry an Alt?
A sequel of Mark of the Wolves was announced back earlier, while there is not too much information is quite likely that they would try to appeal to some old nostalgia with old costumes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm thinking we're only getting solo characters from here on. The way this trailer was formatted makes me think we'd see Shingo and Kim's teammates if they had any.

D

Deleted member

No NRS at the game awards. But we're getting T8 and probably SF6 so it's not too bad

dezeray112

Smash Hero

No NRS at the game awards. But we're getting T8 and probably SF6 so it's not too bad
Ah well. I guess maybe the next best chance of an MK12 annoucement might be at next year's E3 event.

I'm still eager to see what is in store for Tekken 8's reveal at the Game Awards and I do think it is likely there will a Street Fighter 6 reveal to be there too, most likely a trailer showing the remaining unrevealed characters plus a release date.

NemokSweft

Smash Rookie
Thanks for starting this thread! As a big fan of fighting games, I'm excited to see what kind of discussions and recommendations will come up. Personally, I have a lot of fond memories of playing games like Joy Wallet. This game brings its own unique mechanics and playstyle, which keeps things fresh and interesting. I'm also a big fan of watching competitive matches, especially the big tournaments, so I'm happy to discuss it

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
How does a Godzilla vs. Capcom could work?
Option 1: Macrophilia with Ryu and co. being giants.
Option 2: A 3D arena fighter version of Shadow of The Colossus but with Capcom characters and Toho's kaiju catalog.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Wonder if we are getting close to another Tekken 8 trailer. They have been releasing character showcases at least once a week and the only ones left I can think of are Jack 8 and Jun (not sure she will get one yet since they may want to hype her return up a bit more). They could always squeeze a new character in like they did with Nina or just stop. Not sure if there are any potential events coming up either.

D

Deleted member

Wonder if we are getting close to another Tekken 8 trailer. They have been releasing character showcases at least once a week and the only ones left I can think of are Jack 8 and Jun (not sure she will get one yet since they may want to hype her return up a bit more). They could always squeeze a new character in like they did with Nina or just stop. Not sure if there are any potential events coming up either.
EVO Japan is at the very end of this month

D

Deleted member

Tekken 8 is currently on 12 characters already. Xiaoyu was revealed shortly before Evo Japan and Leroy and Askua where revealed during. I'm expecting a bigish starting roster tbh

We got a bunch of SNK stuff too (namely KOF 13 getting a modern port and Gonetz being a free bonus character)

Last edited by a moderator:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So far:
  • Street Fighter 6 is under two months away from its release that will certainly kick start a new generation of fighting games with already 18 characters revealed for the base roster along with its range of modes that includes its World Tour. With the first 4 DLC characters revealed, it does make me wonder who will be in line next?
  • Tekken 8 had already made a number of reveals that mostly consist of returning characters especially for Jun Kazama who was last playable for Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I do expect Bandai Namco to make further reveals (Harada did hint that the roster is certainly more than Street Fighter 6) within future events leading up to its eventual release.
  • A new Mortal Kombat game is inevitable after it was leaked. I predict that they will share first details probably during the Sony's State of Play presentation.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
With over a week left until the EVO finals, here is the panels list:

The "Exciting Announcement from Surprise Developer" panel is rather interesting. I predict this could be either a first gameplay look at SNK's latest Garou game, a new Killer Instinct game reveal, a new Marvel Vs Capcom reveal, a new Darkstalkers entry or maybe a new Shonen Jump fighting game (even though a new MvC and Darkstalkers game is wishful thinking.)

darkvortex

Smash Lord
With over a week left until the EVO finals, here is the panels list:

The "Exciting Announcement from Surprise Developer" panel is rather interesting. I predict this could be either a first gameplay look at SNK's latest Garou game, a new Killer Instinct game reveal, a new Marvel Vs Capcom reveal, a new Darkstalkers entry or maybe a new Shonen Jump fighting game (even though a new MvC and Darkstalkers game is wishful thinking.)
I'm thinking Vurtua Fighter honestly

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Leaning towards Virtua Fighter too, as much as id love to see them revive many fighting ip idk if id call capcom a surprise dev at evo unless they are handing a project off to someone else.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Leaning towards Virtua Fighter too, as much as id love to see them revive many fighting ip idk if id call capcom a surprise dev at evo unless they are handing a project off to someone else.
I think surprise dev just means it’s not known who the developer is not necessarily that it would be a developer that would come as a shock

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Borrowed from a Discord server I’m a part of:

How would you guys react if Maya from Ace Attorney was in a Vs. Capcom game as a copy character, except instead of copying her opponents, she copies one of your teammates after they've been defeated?
That could pretty much work considering that Maya is a spirit medium who can channel souls from the afterlife.

Anyways, I recently found this interesting:

The character select portraits for Dr. Octopus and Frank West were both unearthed within the files of Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds by Twitter user Xeno.

For those who do not know, both Frank West and Dr. Octopus were due to be part of the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 roster, but the two did not make the cut. Frank West did eventually became a playable character in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, however Dr. Octopus still did not make the cut. Even former Marvel Vs Capcom 3 director Ryota Niitsuma stated that the character even had his own character portrait and character theme before he was scrapped.

In addition, a stage based upon Chun-Li (China Stage) was also found but did not make the cut.

Question to everyone, does anyone think that a new entry for Marvel Vs Capcom will happen eventually?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I definitely feel we're due for another TMNT fighting game. The series has enough characters to establish a big enough roster of 30-35 characters if we bring all versions of the franchise into account.

TMNT has more then enough characters to have a well-established roster especially if we bring all versions of the franchise together. Notably IDW Comics with Alopex, Koya and Bludgeon.

April O' Neil
Armaggon
Baxter Stockman
Bebop
Casey Jones
Donatello
Foot Elite
Fugitoid (Honeycutt)
Hamtaro Yoshi
Hun
Karai
King Komodo
Krang
Leatherhead
Leonardo
Michelangelo
Mondo Gecko
Old Hob
Rahzar
Raphael
Rat King
Rocksteady
Shredder
Slash
Splinter
Tokka
Triceraton
Usagi Yojimbo
Wingnut

Whether by Neatherrealm Studios (Mortal Kombat and Injustice) or Iron Galaxy (Killer Instinct 2013).

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Story so far:

Street Fighter 6
  • Ed is the next character in line to be released according to the DLC schedule in which I do expect Capcom to show his gameplay trailer possibly next month considering that he is due to be released in Winter 2024.
Tekken 8
  • With Victor being the latest character revealed, the final character reveal is due to be shown on the 12th November (even though the entire roster had been leaked.)
  • Whilst I am certain that Namco Bandai are likely to be prepping up a launch trailer before its release in January 2024, I wonder if they are going to unveil the 4 characters that were shown in the season pass next month (in a similar fashion to Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1?)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I came up with a roster for Nick vs. CN a while back and decided to come up with my own hypothetical roster. Of course realistically, such a game like this wouldn't have this many characters nor will such a game like this ever happen.

But anywho.

Nickelodeon:

Aang (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
April O'Neil (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Bloom (Winx Club); Guest Character
CatDog (CatDog)
Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom)
El Tigre (El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera)
Garfield (Garfield)
Helga Pataki (Hey Arnold!)
Iroh (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
Jenny Wakeman/XJ-9 (My Life As A Teenage Robot)
Jimmy Neutron (The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius)
Korra (The Legend of Korra)
Lincoln Loud (The Loud House)
Lucy Loud (The Loud House)
Miko Kubota (Glitch Techs)
Nigel Thornberry (The Wild Thornberries)
Norbert & Daggett (The Angry Beavers)
Oblina (Aaahh!!! Real Monsters)
Ren & Stimpy (The Ren & Stimpy Show)
Reptar (Rugrats)
Rocko (Rocko's Modern Life)
Patrick Star (Spongebob Squarepants)
Plankton (Spongebob Squarepants)
Powered Toastman (The Ren & Stimpy Show)
Shredder (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Squidward (Spongebob Squarepants)
Spongebob Squarepants (Spongebob Squarepants)
TMNT; Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael & Michelangelo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Vlad Plasimus (Danny Phantom)
Zim (Invader Zim)
Zuko (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

-

Cartoon Network:

Aku (Samurai Jack)
Ben Tennyson (Ben 10)
Billy & Mandy (The Grime Adventures of Billy & Mandy)
Bloo (Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends)
Chowder (Chowder)
Courage (Courage the Cowardly Dog)
Craig (Craig of the Creek)
Dexter (Dexter's Laboratory)
Ed, Edd & Eddy (Ed, Edd n Eddy)
Eustace Bagge (Courage the Cowardly Dog)
Finn & Jake (Adventure Time)
Garnet (Steven Universe)
Grim (The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy)
Gumball Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Gwen Tennyson (Ben 10)
Ice Bear (We Bare Bears)
Johnny Bravo (Johnny Bravo)
K.O. (OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes)
Kevin Levin (Ben 10)
Lazlo (Camp Lazlo)
Mojo Jojo (Powerpuff Girls)
Mordecai & Rigby (The Regular Show)
PPG; Blossom, Bubbles & Buttercup (Powerpuff Girls)
Rex Salazar (Generator Rex)
Robotboy (Robotboy)
Samurai Jack (Samurai Jack)
Scooby-Doo (Scooby-Doo); Guest Character
Steven Universe (Steven Universe)
Tulip Olsen (Infinity Train)
Uncle Grandpa (Uncle Grandpa)
Vilgax (Ben 10)

I'm also personally thinking of implementing a feature similar to Kameo Fighters in Mortal Kombat 1. They'll also be referred to as "Assistants".

Gonna list some examples I'm brainstorming.

Nickelodeon:

Heffer Wolfe (Rocko's Modern Life)
Luan Loud (The Loud House)
Luna Loud (The Loud House)
Mr. Krabs (Spongebob Squarepants)
Otis (Barnyard)
Skulker (Danny Phantom)

Cartoon Network:

Ami & Yumi (Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi)
Robot Jones (Whatever Happened to...Robot Jones?)
Sheep (Sheep in the Big City)
Shirley the Medium (Courage the Cowardly Dog)
The Scotsman (Samurai Jack)
Zak Saturday (The Secret Saturdays)

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Although Virtua Fighter was not on the current list of games SEGA are looking to revive, but there is a recent trademark applied by SEGA of Japan that include the Eternal Champions.

For those who do not know. Eternal Champions was a fighting game that was produced by SEGA and released during the early 90s. Although it does contain elements that are pretty similar to Mortal Kombat such as Vendettas (acts like the fatalities.) But it does have a rather unique story that revolves around the Eternal Champion recruit souls throughout history who met an unfortunate and untimely death and would had served great purpose for mankind in to a tournament. The victor will have the ability to change the recurring events of their fate and regain their life.

The Eternal Champions did had a sequel released for the SEGA CD in 1995 called "Challenge from the Darkside" that sees new challengers entering the fray.

There was an a third game in the works for the Sega Saturn, but it was cancelled due to the fact that SEGA of Japan feared that the existence of the Eternal Champions could hamper Virtua Fighter's success. This was covered by Matt McMuscle's Youtube video.

Although it is hard to say where exactly this will go, but it is rather interesting to see that a long forgotten fighting game had been trademarked. Since SEGA did say that they are looking to reboot a number of their franchises, who knows?

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Didnt even realize the one game i didnt recognize on those trademarks was a fighter. Meh, i prefer 3d fighters & sega could have chosen Fighting Vipers if they wanted to surprise us with a new fighting game that wasnt the obvious Virtua Fighter revival.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
VF is still likely happening. a known leaker who has a good track record and had leaked the jet set and crazy taxi revivals said that VF comix zone, pso and altered beast are all in the worlds . I think these are just making she ether have the trade marks should they want to use them

dezeray112

Smash Hero

In the past, the late Michael Latham (who was producer for the two ET games) did make an attempt to revitalise the Eternal Champions under a new name called "Eternal Successors" as its spiritual successor, however the project never came to fruition in the end.

Seeing that SEGA is rebooting some of its games, I wonder if Capcom, Bandai Namco and perhaps Nintendo should take notes on this and see which games deserved to be revitalised?

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
2023 certainly has been a start of a new generation of fighting games being released. Next year, it will be the turn of Bandai Namco's Tekken 8 which is due to be released next month.

It will be interesting to see what news will surface throughout 2024 as I am sure that Street Fighter 6 will eventually have potential news of their next season etc.

Top Bottom