• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[February 22, 2014] Spartan Biweekly III - East Lansing, MI

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
SPARTAN BIWEEKLY III
February 22, 2014

East Lansing, MI
State-Sponsored Smackdowns by
General Heinz (Elliot), Miracle Fruit (Dawei), and Swanky (Travis)
Alright so in the name of full disclosure I am announcing to the SWF universe the existence of Spartan Biweeklies, the uninspired default designation of the Michigan State Smash club's PREMIER local homegrown used-game-shop tournament series! The first two iterations were quite successful and we are hoping that this thread will help us gather more newcomers from MSU and elsewhere. That said, the venue is not huge, so we're not really looking to get like 30+ people.

We'd also very much like it if people could preregister for this event! Signup can be done here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/G7y5JXyWnp

VENUE
Replay Entertainment Exchange
1385 East Grand River Ave
East Lansing, MI 48823

Replay is located in Brookefield plaza, down near the intersection of Grand River and Hagadorn. Other locations in that strip include Everyday Chinese restaurant, Bagger Dave's, and the infamous Wings Over, so there is no lack of eats. Though on its face Replay appears to be a majestic haven for the last three decades of console and handheld gaming history, it also has a vast collection of vinyls, CDs, DVDs, controllers (all third party LOL), and are currently working to build interest in Magic the Gathering by selling new and old cards alike.

For the last two tourneys there, we were quite limited on space, but they have assured me that renovations in the back area will be completed before tomorrow and so we should have a good amount more room for setups and bodies.

SCHEDULE
12pm Venue opens
12pm-1pm Registration for Melee and P:M singles
1pm-5pm Melee and P:M singles

Entry is $5 each for Melee and P:M and there is no venue fee.

This is not a particularly strict schedule since we are not doing this on Friday nights anymore and so are not really worried about running out of time, but we should start as close to 1pm as possible, and if there are enough setups then we should finish quite early. For that reason it has been suggested that we also run Melee doubles, but we will negotiate that based on interest.

RULES
-Please be respectful of the venue. The guys that work there are super chill and have shown every enthusiasm in having us play there, and the general atmosphere of the place is kickass, so let's keep it that way. They have pops for sale for $1 so if you get one make sure to throw the can away--pretty sure they have a garbage can behind the desk, so just ask.
-Make sure to report your matches! I'll be walking around checking on various sets though so this shouldn't be an issue, but do let me or Dawei (Miracle_Fruit) know.

MELEE RULESET
-All matches are 4-stock, 8:00, items OFF.
-Sets are best of three; semis and finals are best of five.
-If a game times out, the winner is determined by stock, then by percentage.
-Melee stagelist:

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Dreamland 64
-Yoshi's Story
-Fountain of Dreams
-Pokemon Stadium (counterpick)
-For game one of a best of three set, players take turns striking neutral stages (the first five stages above) in a 1-2-1 fashion and play on the stage that remains. Counterpicking then proceeds in this order: 1) The winner of the first game bans one stage, 2) the loser chooses a stage, 3) the winner may opt to change character, 4) the loser may opt to change character.
-For game one of a best of five set, players take turns striking neutral stages (the first five stages above) in a 1-2-1 fashion and play on the stage that remains. Counterpicking proceeds as usual, but the winning player cannot ban any stages.
-DAVE'S STUPID RULE: A player may not choose a stage they have already won on in that set.
-GENTLEMAN'S CLAUSE: Any stage may be played as long as both players agree to it.

PM Ruleset will be updated as soon as I get a hold of Travis about what it is hah.

TO CONTACT
Melee: General Heinz (Elliot) - (269) 760-3618, Miracle Fruit (Dawei) - (510) 948-1124
PM: Swanky (Travis) - (586) 718-8282

Looking forward to this! Hoping this thread will make people more aware of MSU Smash's presence on campus as well as garner some attention from other players in the area. Due to spring break, which for State starts the weekend of the 28th, we will not be having another tournament on the 8th (when I recommend you all go to rootfest 7 instead), but will instead probably opt for the 15th.

Last edited:

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
thanks juan. yeah i'm gonna be posting the results for both very soon in addition to the results of the last two. figured i would just do it all in one go.

Chicken Chaser

Smash Rookie
SPARTAN BIWEEKLY III
February 22, 2014

East Lansing, MI
State-Sponsored Smackdowns by
General Heinz (Elliot), Miracle Fruit (Dawei), and Swanky (Travis)
Alright so in the name of full disclosure I am announcing to the SWF universe the existence of Spartan Biweeklies, the uninspired default designation of the Michigan State Smash club's PREMIER local homegrown used-game-shop tournament series! The first two iterations were quite successful and we are hoping that this thread will help us gather more newcomers from MSU and elsewhere. That said, the venue is not huge, so we're not really looking to get like 30+ people.

We'd also very much like it if people could preregister for this event! Signup can be done here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/G7y5JXyWnp

VENUE
Replay Entertainment Exchange
1385 East Grand River Ave
East Lansing, MI 48823

Replay is located in Brookefield plaza, down near the intersection of Grand River and Hagadorn. Other locations in that strip include Everyday Chinese restaurant, Bagger Dave's, and the infamous Wings Over, so there is no lack of eats. Though on its face Replay appears to be a majestic haven for the last three decades of console and handheld gaming history, it also has a vast collection of vinyls, CDs, DVDs, controllers (all third party LOL), and are currently working to build interest in Magic the Gathering by selling new and old cards alike.

For the last two tourneys there, we were quite limited on space, but they have assured me that renovations in the back area will be completed before tomorrow and so we should have a good amount more room for setups and bodies.

SCHEDULE
12pm Venue opens
12pm-1pm Registration for Melee and P:M singles
1pm-5pm Melee and P:M singles

Entry is $5 each for Melee and P:M and there is no venue fee.

This is not a particularly strict schedule since we are not doing this on Friday nights anymore and so are not really worried about running out of time, but we should start as close to 1pm as possible, and if there are enough setups then we should finish quite early. For that reason it has been suggested that we also run Melee doubles, but we will negotiate that based on interest.

RULES
-Please be respectful of the venue. The guys that work there are super chill and have shown every enthusiasm in having us play there, and the general atmosphere of the place is kickass, so let's keep it that way. They have pops for sale for $1 so if you get one make sure to throw the can away--pretty sure they have a garbage can behind the desk, so just ask.
-Make sure to report your matches! I'll be walking around checking on various sets though so this shouldn't be an issue, but do let me or Dawei (Miracle_Fruit) know.

MELEE RULESET
-All matches are 4-stock, 8:00, items OFF.
-Sets are best of three; semis and finals are best of five.
-If a game times out, the winner is determined by stock, then by percentage.
-Melee stagelist:

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Dreamland 64
-Yoshi's Story
-Fountain of Dreams
-Pokemon Stadium (counterpick)
-For game one of a best of three set, players take turns striking neutral stages (the first five stages above) in a 1-2-1 fashion and play on the stage that remains. Counterpicking then proceeds in this order: 1) The winner of the first game bans one stage, 2) the loser chooses a stage, 3) the winner may opt to change character, 4) the loser may opt to change character.
-For game one of a best of five set, players take turns striking neutral stages (the first five stages above) in a 1-2-1 fashion and play on the stage that remains. Counterpicking proceeds as usual, but the winning player cannot ban any stages.
-DAVE'S STUPID RULE: A player may not choose a stage they have already won on in that set.
-GENTLEMAN'S CLAUSE: Any stage may be played as long as both players agree to it.

PM Ruleset will be updated as soon as I get a hold of Travis about what it is hah.

TO CONTACT
Melee: General Heinz (Elliot) - (269) 760-3618, Miracle Fruit (Dawei) - (510) 948-1124
PM: Swanky (Travis) - (586) 718-8282

Looking forward to this! Hoping this thread will make people more aware of MSU Smash's presence on campus as well as garner some attention from other players in the area. Due to spring break, which for State starts the weekend of the 28th, we will not be having another tournament on the 8th (when I recommend you all go to rootfest 7 instead), but will instead probably opt for the 15th.
Do you guys ever run SSB64 at these tournaments or is there not enough interest, just curious.

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
literally no one in our community plays 64 with any degree of seriousness besides me but i myself haven't played it seriously in a very long time. if we were to run 64 on the side it could only take place with substantial outside attendance but if you could round up enough people for that, there's no reason we couldn't do it.

i know that 64 in general is a LOT more popular amongst college students, so we could easily get people to come out and PLAY, but most of them, to be frank, are more often interested in smash only as a drinking game, and would not necessarily be interested in throwing in money to lose at a game that they don't care about playing at a high level. if you could find more students who take it seriously though, by all means let us know. we meet tuesdays from 7:00-midnight in shaw hall basement, and if people can provide 64 setups then we can easily start playing that more often and if those people want a tourney, well then hot damn we'll give them one.

Last edited:

Chicken Chaser

Smash Rookie
literally no one in our community plays 64 with any degree of seriousness besides me but i myself haven't played it seriously in a very long time. if we were to run 64 on the side it could only take place with substantial outside attendance but if you could round up enough people for that, there's no reason we couldn't do it.

i know that 64 in general is a LOT more popular amongst college students, so we could easily get people to come out and PLAY, but most of them, to be frank, are more often interested in smash only as a drinking game, and would not necessarily be interested in throwing in money to lose at a game that they don't care about playing at a high level. if you could find more students who take it seriously though, by all means let us know. we meet tuesdays from 7:00-midnight in shaw hall basement, and if people can provide 64 setups then we can easily start playing that more often and if those people want a tourney, well then hot damn we'll give them one.
Yeah I figured that's what the case would be. I agree getting my fraternity brothers to play the game with me sober is just about impossible haha. Even so I'm definitely planning on attending the club meetings after spring break, even if to just play some New smash titles, although I have a full 64 set up if you'd be interested in me bringing it with me sometime. I'm just glad there's a competitive Smash community in EL at all haha. Go green!

Stif

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I figured that's what the case would be. I agree getting my fraternity brothers to play the game with me sober is just about impossible haha. Even so I'm definitely planning on attending the club meetings after spring break, even if to just play some New smash titles, although I have a full 64 set up if you'd be interested in me bringing it with me sometime. I'm just glad there's a competitive Smash community in EL at all haha. Go green!
I would defiantly play some 64, i might even throw 5 bucks in for a tourney

Top Bottom