• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Feb 22, 2015] Gamers for Giving: A Super Smash Bros. Wii U Tournament (Ypsilanti, MI)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

Gamers for Giving
February 22, 2015
Ypsilanti, MI

Juggleguy's first foray into Smash 4 hosting! Ori_bro, WiiDude, and Oblivion will also be there to help me out!

Gamers for Giving is an annual eSports charity event that helps generate resources for the initiatives of Gamers Outreach Foundation. Funds raised from the event help Gamers Outreach Foundation build portable gaming carts for children in hospitals. Thanks to the help of generous sponsors, entry fees and donations are able to go straight to the programs of the charity while the tourney still offers a prize pool for the top-placing competitors.

For this year's edition of Gamers for Giving, Smash 4 will be making its debut. Gaming Generations is providing all setups for the Smash 4 tournament up front, including monitors, consoles, discs, and most importantly the elusive GameCube controller adapters! All you have to do is register online, show up with your own controller, and fire up some Smash. Entry is capped at 64 entrants, with a $500 payout for first place and a $300 payout for second place.

- VENUE -

http://gamersforgiving.org/location/

Eastern Michigan University Student Center
Grand Ballroom, 2nd Floor
900 Oakwood Street
Ypsilanti, MI USA 48197
Venue Website

Gamers for Giving 2015 will take place at the Grand Ballroom of Eastern Michigan University’s Student Center during the weekend of February 21st & 22nd. The Smash 4 event is on Sunday only, February 22nd. If you are interested in the other non-Smash games, check the schedules for them on your own.

- ENTRY INFO -

https://lanfest.intel.com/events/gamers-for-giving-2015/register

Registration is open online and will be capped at 64 entrants, so if you plan to attend, register online asap. There may be at-the-door registration, but only if spots are available; don't risk being left out because you didn't register online!

It's $20 total, venue and entry fee included, to participate in Super Smash Bros. Wii U Singles (straight double-elim bracket). It's additional $ for other non-Smash games if you're interested in those, check the registration page.

UPDATE 2/16/15: Looks like the cap has been reached! The final entrants list can be found at the bottom of this page (https://lanfest.intel.com/events/gamers-for-giving-2015/seating/list). If you forgot to register, you can still come out and spectate for free if you want!

- SCHEDULE -

http://gamersforgiving.org/schedule-2/

Sunday, February 22nd

10am: Check-In begins
12pm: Super Smash Bros. Wii U Singles begins
6pm: Super Smash Bros. Wii U Doubles side event begins
9pm: Top 4 singles bracket finishes up on stream
10pm: Tournament ends

Singles registration has closed due to reaching the cap online.
Doubles registration will be taken at-the-door by Oblivion.

- RULES -

http://gamersforgiving.org/files/2015/01/GFG2015_SSBv1.pdf

Basically the Apex ruleset with a few slight changes. Check the PDF above for details.

* 2 stocks, 6 minutes
* Items set to “Off” and “None”
* Custom movesets are banned.
* Custom equips are banned.
* Mii Fighters are banned.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes one stage.

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

Counterpick:
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Duck Hunt
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Town & City
Omega Stages *

* Treated as Final Destination during the banning phase. If Final Destination is banned, Omega Stages are banned and vice versa.

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Payout:
1st place Singles: $500
2nd place Singles: $300
1st place Doubles: 70% of the prize pot TBD
2nd place Doubles: 30% of the prize pot TBD

Gaming Generations will be providing all setups: 8 monitors, 8 Wii U consoles, 8 Smash Wii U discs, 8 GameCube controller adapters! However, make sure to bring your own controller. The controllers are not provided by the event.

Any questions, please post here or in the Michigan Smash 4 Facebook group! See you on Sunday Feb 22nd.

Last edited:

Blade | Linus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vegetto_DJW
3DS FC
4355-9748-0308
I live so close to there..if I do go you'll know I'll the only Charizard there.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
If there are any competitors that would like to practice this week, my NNID is Dvgishere.

Sorry, no:
-Mario
-Dr. Mario
-Marth
-Lucina
-Metaknight
-Luigi
-Miis
Those characters crash my game, but if you don't play those guys and want to fight a decent Little Mac/Fox user, shoot me your NNID.

Last edited:

Blade | Linus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vegetto_DJW
3DS FC
4355-9748-0308
If I was dropped off, would I not need to pay the venue fee? And how much is just the entry fee?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
There is no at the door reg for this event, you had to buy a pass to compete. There was also a cap of 64 players which has been met.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yeah it was online registration, and the cap has now been reached.

If you still want to come out to the tourney, it will be free to spectate!

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
^I'd be your partner, but I tend to space out and attack everyone in doubles. Let's just say it's not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom