• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Feb 22, 2014] RESULTS - "SUBURB SMASH 1" presented by WCG (Lisle, IL)

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
I think this is a little backhanded... Here are some facts;

There are at least 3 cars travelling out of state at least for Shuffle in Ohio the same day as this event.

The rest of our strong players will be taking at least another 2 cars to St Louis this same day as well due to other regional big names from MO/Kansas being there.

This is your first tournament being run in the Chicagoland area.

Expecting numbers like what EXP gets takes time and dedication. Ask the owner of EXP how long it took before he had hundreds of preregistration responses and a large following.
I'm aware that there are many players traveling to Shuffle/MO/Kansas. The fact that some of the good players won't be at mine will be good for those trying to make a come-up. It'll add a little intrigue if the good players ever want to come to mine and vice-versa.

To be clear: It doesn't matter to me if "big names" come to my tournament. I understand that attracts people to go to tournaments, and that's great. But I'm not going out of my way for these "big names" to come to my tournaments. There's 40+ people registered for mine already and it's the first one I've ever ran. People in the suburbs are excited, and if the "big names" want to come be a part of it, they can. If not, it really doesn't matter to me.

I don't know where you got the idea I expected this tournament to be as large as EXP or anything like that. I think you're misunderstanding what I've said. Why would I expect 100+ people to register for a tournament ran by someone they don't even know? I know better than that.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I'm aware that there are many players traveling to Shuffle/MO/Kansas. The fact that some of the good players won't be at mine will be good for those trying to make a come-up. It'll add a little intrigue if the good players ever want to come to mine and vice-versa.

To be clear: It doesn't matter to me if "big names" come to my tournament. I understand that attracts people to go to tournaments, and that's great. But I'm not going out of my way for these "big names" to come to my tournaments. There's 40+ people registered for mine already and it's the first one I've ever ran. People in the suburbs are excited, and if the "big names" want to come be a part of it, they can. If not, it really doesn't matter to me.

I don't know where you got the idea I expected this tournament to be as large as EXP or anything like that. I think you're misunderstanding what I've said. Why would I expect 100+ people to register for a tournament ran by someone they don't even know? I know better than that.
It was not about big names not being there, just that you are expecting so many when there are 25+ people that will be travelling that weekend. Saying "apparently the midwest doesn't like preregistering" despite the facts I listed seemed kind of like an insult to those that are attending your event. In all honesty I hope this succeeds. I was just taken a bit back by what you said. Gratz on 40+ so far.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
It was not about big names not being there, just that you are expecting so many when there are 25+ people that will be travelling that weekend. Saying "apparently the midwest doesn't like preregistering" despite the facts I listed seemed kind of like an insult to those that are attending your event. In all honesty I hope this succeeds. I was just taken a bit back by what you said. Gratz on 40+ so far.
The reason why I said that was because someone messaged me and told me a lot of people show up who aren't registered. I wasn't complaining.

Last edited:

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Registrant update (as of 2/21):

Project M singles - 27 participants
Melee singles - 21 participants
Smash 64 singles - 7 participants
Project M doubles - 5 teams (?)
Melee doubles - 3 teams (?)

One day away everybody! :joyful:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Shuffle seems like an incredibly awesome event, but personally I'm one of the people that can't afford to travel that far at the moment. The convenience of a smaller event in the city we live makes it much easier for people who live in Chicago to arrive. That's all. People will most likely have a great time either way. Until then, you all know where this is going.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
I'm right here, Ninja. Also, I live less than 5 minutes from the venue we played at, so if any of y'all are in my neck of the woods, gimme a shout and we can play.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the Oswego/Aurora area. I didn't have a chance to play last night because I wanted to make sure everything ran smoothly PLUS we were blessed with a perfect 32 player bracket for PM, so I couldn't mess that up! :rotfl: I'm always down for friendlies/practice though if anyone wants to come through.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the event. I want everyone to know that I plan on working with the community to solidify seeding going into the next tournament. I appreciate everyone's patience and support. You guys are awesome, and I look forward to conversing more with everyone in the future when I'm not completely swamped with keeping track of the brackets.

THE RESULTS HAVE BEEN UPLOADED AND CAN BE VIEWED HERE:
http://challonge.com/ss1meleesingles
http://challonge.com/ss1pmsingles
http://challonge.com/ss164singles

Last edited:

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Also- be sure to claim your points on the brackets. I just uploaded them on here for rankings.

Blitzkrieg Deity

Smash Rookie
I'm in the Oswego/Aurora area. I didn't have a chance to play last night because I wanted to make sure everything ran smoothly PLUS we were blessed with a perfect 32 player bracket for PM, so I couldn't mess that up! :rotfl: I'm always down for friendlies/practice though if anyone wants to come through.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the event. I want everyone to know that I plan on working with the community to solidify seeding going into the next tournament. I appreciate everyone's patience and support. You guys are awesome, and I look forward to conversing more with everyone in the future when I'm not completely swamped with keeping track of the brackets.

THE RESULTS HAVE BEEN UPLOADED AND CAN BE VIEWED HERE:
http://challonge.com/ss1meleesingles
http://challonge.com/ss1pmsingles
http://challonge.com/ss164singles
I live in Oswego ;) my skype is Saruknight for anyone who wants to add me from last night. Friendly me plox.

Blitzkrieg Deity

Smash Rookie
Also, I finally got plates/insurance on my car. All I gotta do is get some extra money for gas and I'll soon be a regular at our Chicago tourneys if I'm lucky. Had so much fun for my first tourney and I hope to improve through more frequent offline play. Thanks for everything :D

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
Also, I finally got plates/insurance on my car. All I gotta do is get some extra money for gas and I'll soon be a regular at our Chicago tourneys if I'm lucky. Had so much fun for my first tourney and I hope to improve through more frequent offline play. Thanks for everything :D
yoo go to EXP's events

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
wtf, after i leave the yorkville area, all these people pop up in the area.

also i'm not sure you should use that tournament for points considering your bracket was completely random, it was also missing a bunch of top players who were out of state for other bigger tournaments. You did not have pools to seed and you did not ask anyone for advice on who should be seeded where. I got completely bracket ****ed because of this and the winner of the tournament was sent to losers in the first round. I instantly had to face cpt. faceroll and then had to face tink.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
wtf, after i leave the yorkville area, all these people pop up in the area.

also i'm not sure you should use that tournament for points considering your bracket was completely random, it was also missing a bunch of top players who were out of state for other bigger tournaments. You did not have pools to seed and you did not ask anyone for advice on who should be seeded where. I got completely bracket ****ed because of this and the winner of the tournament was sent to losers in the first round. I instantly had to face cpt. faceroll and then had to face tink.
We're going to work on seeding for the next bracket. If you don't like where you placed, then just don't claim it.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
norm thats why u dont lose to faceroll :p too bad i couldnt make it :/ would have loved to have been there :/
i went back and watched my match vs him and i played it so bad. I got impatient and i made a ton of tech errors and did a bunch of unsafe things in general. :(

but yeah laz you could have possibly won this one. lol

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Also- be sure to claim your points on the brackets. I just uploaded them on here for rankings.
Once you claim your points and what not, is there a way to edit the bracket to put the character(s) you main(played as in the tournament) next to your placement?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'm right here, Ninja. Also, I live less than 5 minutes from the venue we played at, so if any of y'all are in my neck of the woods, gimme a shout and we can play.
If I'm around there I'll gladly hit you up on smashboards to hang and play some friendlies. Also, I agree with you. Mars isn't even a good planet.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Once you claim your points and what not, is there a way to edit the bracket to put the character(s) you main(played as in the tournament) next to your placement?
I believe so. You just click the blank space in the character section? I'm not sure, but I've seen other people do it.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I believe so. You just click the blank space in the character section? I'm not sure, but I've seen other people do it.
Nevermind. In order to do it, you need to click "Claim" where you find your tag and placement. After your claim is confirmed your allowed to then edit your character(s) used in the tournament. Thanks though!

Last edited:

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
Fun tournament overall. For the first one, it was run pretty smoothly. Well done, gentlemen.

Yo boi Shion.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback!

It's looking like "Suburb Smash 2" will be taking place April 5th tentatively. Mark your calendars.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Do you guys have a venue in mind? I'm still trying to find a decently priced place nearby.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys have a venue in mind? I'm still trying to find a decently priced place nearby.
Leaning towards Benedictine again. Mike liked the streaming capabilities in there. It's pretty expensive but local options are limited. Galloping ghost in Brookfield is a possibility, but it isn't as spacious.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
What about CoD? Everybody that's been there said the venue was great, and it's free. Not sure of the streaming capabilities, though.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
What about CoD? Everybody that's been there said the venue was great, and it's free. Not sure of the streaming capabilities, though.
We can try CoD. I know I've heard the streaming blows there.

Benedictine is so nice though. The streaming is good. I'm okay with paying extra for the room every time if you guys are okay paying $5 or $6 for a venue fee. It makes it about even for the amount of people who come.

Last edited:

Blitzkrieg Deity

Smash Rookie
I'm down :D Benedictine is only about a half hour away when traffic ain't a problem. I liked that location, despite the slightly out of tune and utterly destroyed piano xD

Blitzkrieg Deity

Smash Rookie
Hey guize! I found out some exciting news.
March 28th-30th, my boyfriend is coming up from Missouri and crashing in Chicago for a few days. He's a Smasher ;)

So I was wondering if anyone wanted to get together for a Smashfest xD and if anyone knows a place it can be held around Chicago. Like, if someone wanted to host one at their house or something, I'd have no objections. But I wanted to introduce him to all the cool Smashers we have in the Chicago scene ;)

Top Bottom