• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Feb 20th] The Custom Stage Tournament 02

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Even though custom stages are used, this tournament is just as serious as any other, please treat it as such. Stages must qualify as tournament legal.

The second instalment of the Custom Stage Tournament approaches! On February 20th at 5 PM GMT, players will again be able to show off their skills on stages made by the community.

What: A tournament where the only legal stages will be custom stages made by participants or others interested.

When:
February 20th, 5 PM GMT (6 PM CET, 12 noon EST, 11 AM CST). Check-in will start one hour before the actual tournament.

Chat: https://discord.gg/0mH8V4yAVfV59E5i

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/pDcpyF83tH

Bracket:
challonge.com/customstages02

Winner prize: A €10 eShop card.

Ruleset:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fXSpE4Re6wSIrSjvp0jxzpi9brMgoY4DI96mNbh-280/edit?usp=sharing

Stage list: Coming after February 13th. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AK5wikIM8Fefp2K5E7x1M-0F_m3QBHgIisLOb1QyQfI/edit?usp=sharing

Streams: twitch.tv/gasperstreams (Kasper) and twitch.tv/Smyers09tehkiller (Sans)

Stage Rules and Submission:
  • The only legal stages in the tournament will be custom stages made by participants or others if interested.
  • Stages can be sent in until February 13, 2016. The stage should be uploaded on Miiverse, then a PM should be sent to Proteun on Smashboards or Discord containing the creator's NNID and the stage name. No more than three stages can be sent in by one player. Note: stages uploaded to Miiverse expire after a month, so the posts should be made after January 21st.
  • Stages must qualify as tournament legal, meaning stage hazards and solid floating platforms above the main stage will most likely not make it to the final stage list.
  • A stage list will be picked by the TO within three days after the deadline for stages to be sent in. The list will contain a maximum of 10 stages, including neutral stages, counterpicks and instructions on how to download them.
  • Players are not obligated to download the stages, but it might be helpful to study them before the tournament starts. Downloading all stages will take approximately 20 minutes.

Some notes about the tournament:
  • All matches will take place in rooms opened by specific room hosts. This allows for some of the sets to be streamed and means the participants don't necessarily need to spend time on downloading stages. We already have a few volunteers, but more would be greatly appreciated.
  • Contrary to the last tournament, stages can now be sent in by non-participants.
  • Every participant needs to be in the Discord chat during the tournament.
  • By request, all Mii movesets will now be legal - on a tournament where things like these are tried anyway, this should be possible. The rules on them are still strict, as only Guest Miis are allowed and their moveset has to be clear from their name.
Room hosts:
Proteun
WarnadoKasper
DatHamSandwich
D7Sans

Last edited:

Mmeaninglessnamee

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmeaninglessname
I'm hopefully in for this this time around.

A couple things:
-You should probably say "Bayonetta and Corrin are not Legal" since they have not been released yet
-Wasn't the Bowser Jr. Clown Car glitch patched?

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
I'm hopefully in for this this time around.
Nice! Do you have any stages we could use?

-You should probably say "Bayonetta and Corrin are not Legal" since they have not been released yet
I made a mistake in the ruleset here, it was supposed to say February 6th.

-Wasn't the Bowser Jr. Clown Car glitch patched?
I have no idea, I added it in to avoid any confusion. If you are absolutely sure it has been, I'll change it.
Thank you for helping!

Mmeaninglessnamee

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmeaninglessname
Here's 3 stages from me. 2 I would have submitted last time and the last is fresh.

Duael:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHk3GvbSLw
A battlefield-like layout with 4 platforms instead of 3, and a small rise in the center, low enough that it does not disrupt most projectiles or movement. but you can get some interesting positioning off it.

Station:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHk3HHlX6Q
A thin, flat platform IN SPACE! There is only one small platform to break the absolute horizontal of the stage.

Lenny's Field:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHk3HQDUkA
A remake of a "classic" I found online, with slight fixes made for consistency. 2 sloped platforms, one small platform that rises in the center. And a giant ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) graphic that doesn't affect the fight at all.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Hey There Everybody! Kasper guided me here and I'm totally down for participating. Seems like a fun tourney! Anyway, I made 2 stages I'd like to submit! now I know they aren't amazing (I lost my stylus so I had to use the Geometric grid in order to make everything look decent) but, I do like both of them because I think they can both provide interesting play; here's the two stages.

Lousai d'arapi:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFNqo1-yQ
A small BF Shaped Platform with platforms moving in different directions. The platforms and the fact the stage is pretty small should allow for unique play to occur.

Hip Hip Talooza
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAEVHhpAtw9dw
A Small Square shaped Stage with multiple moving platforms and a flat centre. The Lava on the right hand side will spices up (no pun intended) the ledge game for the right hand side because it makes camping from the ledge much harder to do but also Edge guarding now becomes more interesting as well. Don't worry though, you can still grab the ledge on the right hand side. And getting that Meteor smash or spike into the lava feels oh so rewarding. Characters such as Peach could benefit from the right hand side's lava by manipulating the trajectory the Lava sends the opponent and using float. (She not broken on this stage though.)

EDIT: In my opinion, if Halberd is legal with all the weapons on that stage and Castle Siege was legal then I don't think the lava should affect this stages' tournament viability. But if it does then it's always possible for me to take it out but then you'd lose a unique aspect to the stage wouldn't you?

Last edited:

Mmeaninglessnamee

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmeaninglessname
In my opinion, if Halberd is legal with all the weapons on that stage and Castle Siege was legal then I don't think the lava should affect this stages' tournament viability. But if it does then it's always possible for me to take it out but then you'd lose a unique aspect to the stage wouldn't you?
In my opinion, the abundance of moving platforms is a larger problem than the lava on your stages. When the platforms just keep moving, it resets game situations to neutral again and again, and makes punishes very difficult because there isn't any consistency in followups.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Even Halberd and Castle Siege are banned now, and that's for a reason. Even though it's possible to prevent your gameplay from getting interrupted by the hazards on those stages, it was still decided it had too much of an influence on their gameplay. I tried your stage, and the lava makes recovery way too hard (considering Lylat Cruise is already too difficult for most people).

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
As Corrin and Bayonetta have been released already, they will be legal at this tournament! I've updated the ruleset.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
One more week to send in your stages! You can still register until the check-in starts though.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Today is the last day to send in stages. The stage list will be published here in a day or two.

Mmeaninglessnamee

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmeaninglessname
Until I started downloading these, I did not realize how thoroughly dumb the miiverse infrastructure is. And you have to close and reload smash for each stage, even if you have it open behind miiverse. Well, I have all the stages now...

EDIT: Also, I will have to ban Tetris Omega every match, since it uses one of the music tracks that can't load off my disc and freezes the game. :( (Yes, even turning music off doesn't fix this, it still loads the music even if it doesn't play)

EDIT 2: Are you freaking kidding me? Close Combat uses Tunnel Scene (X), another song I can't use. I only can't load 5 songs out of 300+ and they're the ones people put on these stages. Guess I don't get meaningful bans this tournament.

Competitive impressions: The moving-platforms starter is near-unplayable IMO and I hopefully never strike to it. The slope on combat volcano has a high potential for abuse. Phling and phloat has an even higher potential for abuse in its tiny platforms (unless I got the wrong version of it?). And on Lorule, the ledges are set on the floor block, some characters getting up from the ledge can walk on the lower floor. Downtilt should hit even crouching kirby out, though I didn't test it with everyone.

Last edited:

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Until I started downloading these, I did not realize how thoroughly dumb the miiverse infrastructure is. And you have to close and reload smash for each stage, even if you have it open behind miiverse. Well, I have all the stages now...

EDIT: Also, I will have to ban Tetris Omega every match, since it uses one of the music tracks that can't load off my disc and freezes the game. :( (Yes, even turning music off doesn't fix this, it still loads the music even if it doesn't play)

EDIT 2: Are you freaking kidding me? Close Combat uses Tunnel Scene (X), another song I can't use. I only can't load 5 songs out of 300+ and they're the ones people put on these stages. Guess I don't get meaningful bans this tournament.

Competitive impressions: The moving-platforms starter is near-unplayable IMO and I hopefully never strike to it. The slope on combat volcano has a high potential for abuse. Phling and phloat has an even higher potential for abuse in its tiny platforms (unless I got the wrong version of it?). And on Lorule, the ledges are set on the floor block, some characters getting up from the ledge can walk on the lower floor. Downtilt should hit even crouching kirby out, though I didn't test it with everyone.
Issues like these are why we have room hosts who have all the stages downloaded beforehand. I know exactly how rough it is to have to re-start Miiverse so many times just because you want to download more than one stage. I'm very sorry to hear those two stages don't work for you, but I'm afraid it's too late to have them reuploaded. Additionally, I am very doubtful about a stage simply not working on someone else's Wii U just because there is a certain music track the player doesn't have. Could we have an online session to try whether this also happens when someone else picks the stage for you?

As for your competitive impressions, they are mostly a matter of opinion. The stage list has been decided on competitive playability and originality. Every stage is "playable".

Mmeaninglessnamee

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmeaninglessname
I am very doubtful about a stage simply not working on someone else's Wii U just because there is a certain music track the player doesn't have.

As for your competitive impressions, they are mostly a matter of opinion. The stage list has been decided on competitive playability and originality. Every stage is "playable".
Yeah, the competitive impressions are just that, my thoughts playing them beforehand

As far as music not working, it's not that I don't have the song unlocked, it's that my disc is screwed up and can't load the song properly. Instead of just not playing music, the game freezes and gives an error message saying the disc cannot be read. I just have to always ban the stage because I can't play it.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Yeah, the competitive impressions are just that, my thoughts playing them beforehand

As far as music not working, it's not that I don't have the song unlocked, it's that my disc is screwed up and can't load the song properly. Instead of just not playing music, the game freezes and gives an error message saying the disc cannot be read. I just have to always ban the stage because I can't play it.
In that case, I don't think there is a good solution to the problem. I'm very sorry, but we can't re-upload everything just because something is wrong with your disc... I hope it won't affect your gameplay too much.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Congratulations to our winner Serew Serew ! Thanks to everyone who participated, and thank you to all the room hosts who were willing to help. The next Custom Stage Tournament will be on April 9th, mark it in your agendas.

Full results:
1. Serew :4feroy::4robinm:
2. Ch3ato :4littlemac:
3. Epic :4ness::4villager:
4. Proctavia :4pikachu:
5. DVH SFR | Zaril :4corrin:
5. Mmeaninglessnamee :4miigun::4miisword:
7. warnadokasper
7. Wielder
9. D7Sans
9. Pepernoot
9. SlickJ