• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feb. 14----Kirksville, MO----Smash Bros Before Hoes!

Cook

Smash Master
So, I was thinking about changing the rules so that any character who does a suicide move to end the match will get the win. It doesn't seem fair to me that that rule only applies to Bowser. Does anyone have any problems with that, or is there a good reason why it only applies to Bowser?

Nicole

Smash Champion
So, I was thinking about changing the rules so that any character who does a suicide move to end the match will get the win. It doesn't seem fair to me that that rule only applies to Bowser. Does anyone have any problems with that, or is there a good reason why it only applies to Bowser?
Bowser's is because he's on top and they aren't ;) They die before Bowser because he pushes 'em down, was my understanding.

I definitely think this should go for Ganondorf's choke-a-***** move also, because he strangles them and pushes them down as well, meaning that they die before he does.

I don't think it should count if Kirby/DDD/Wario? does it though, as the opponent is inside them, meaning that Kirby/DDD/Wario? will all die at the same time as their opponent. Obviously if these guys spit out their opponent and are able to live through it they win, but they shouldn't just be able to suck 'em up and win with a suicide.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Actually, Ganon's suicide is pseudo-random. Based on the height you start from, either Ganon dies first or it's a tie. I suspect Ganondorf is a very small amount below his opponent as he falls so the quantization of movement per frame makes the difference between him dying first or a simultaneous death. I don't remember if I tested it against a wide variety of characters, but it's definitely controller port independent. The standard, and what I feel should be the policy, is to just treat it like any other sudden death. If you wanted to make a specific rule to avoid sudden death, it would be more fair to make it Ganon loses instead of Ganon wins. Just because Ganon is Ganon tier doesn't mean he should get special treatment.

As per my attendance, I haven't the slightest clue if I can; it all depends on whether a melee fan I know feels like heading up there.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Well, the thing is, Bowser's winning is controller port based. If he's higher, he wins, if he's lower, it's sudden death.
All the others ('cept Ganondorf) are ALWAYS sudden death. You're not supposed to be able to win like that.

Basically, Bowser's suicide win/tie is arbitrary, so if you used the move to win, you should win. The others KNOW they're never going to win.

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be there if i can.
Any takers for a team mate for doubles?
I play wolf and king dedede, and i'm a competetive player. I can play the game well from what i've heard from the people i have played.
My wolf is above average, although i am a bit campy. my dedede is probably average, but I can edgeguard with him above average.
If anyone is interested, Pm me or something so we can work out a strategy.
EDIT: I might also need a place to crash.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm planning on showing up, but still have no idea when or where I'm staying. STL is bottom tier at organizing.

Edit: So what is the plan as far as when this thing starts and what we do after? Specifically, for those of us more interested in smashing than getting smashed? Some people were just born to dish it rather than take it.

Edit 2: Crap, I still owe you data I promised you Ampharos. I'm not at my home computer at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll send that stuff over to you. Maybe if the two of us make it and are both partnerless, we can form Team Science.

Cook

Smash Master
Well, the thing is, Bowser's winning is controller port based. If he's higher, he wins, if he's lower, it's sudden death.
All the others ('cept Ganondorf) are ALWAYS sudden death. You're not supposed to be able to win like that.

Basically, Bowser's suicide win/tie is arbitrary, so if you used the move to win, you should win. The others KNOW they're never going to win.
Men, I think suicide moves take skill and planning to use and so kills with them are legit. To me it doesn't matter if they're SUPPOSED to make you win because there are lots of things in this game you aren't supposed to be able to do, but they're still legit. That's how I feel about it, but if no one agrees I'll leave things as they are.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Men, I think suicide moves take skill and planning to use and so kills with them are legit. To me it doesn't matter if they're SUPPOSED to make you win because there are lots of things in this game you aren't supposed to be able to do, but they're still legit. That's how I feel about it, but if no one agrees I'll leave things as they are.
The mind says Ganon should lose the match. The heart says he should win.

Nicole

Smash Champion
I'm planning on showing up, but still have no idea when or where I'm staying. STL is bottom tier at organizing.

Edit: So what is the plan as far as when this thing starts and what we do after? Specifically, for those of us more interested in smashing than getting smashed? Some people were just born to dish it rather than take it.

Edit 2: Crap, I still owe you data I promised you Ampharos. I'm not at my home computer at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll send that stuff over to you. Maybe if the two of us make it and are both partnerless, we can form Team Science.
We can definitely house you and STL somewhere Think, if you guys don't mind sleeping on someone's floor. You can just head back to whoever's apartment is getting volunteered and smash/sleep there after the tourney if you don't want to get smashed afterwards.

I think the first page of this has the starting time on it, but we usually start things around 1 or 2 (like...we say it starts at 1pm, but it actually starts at 2pm - or whenever all of our out of towners get there).

edit: Hmm, it doesn't have the start time on the first page, good job Andrew. But yeah, we'll say 1pm is the start time, and you should get there earlier than 1 if you can, for warm ups and registration. Unless someone is opposed to what I just said, in that case, **** you. :p

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Kirksville huh? Not too bad but...

Putting this on Valentine's Day means any smasher with a girlfriend will probably not be able to make it =/

Whens the next one that's gonna have melee?

Cook

Smash Master
Kirksville huh? Not too bad but...

Putting this on Valentine's Day means any smasher with a girlfriend will probably not be able to make it =/

Whens the next one that's gonna have melee?
Nonsense, who hangs out with their girlfriend on Valentine's Day? You gotta put her *** on lockdown. Anyway, if you're just looking for Melee I probably wouldn't bother, because most people here just play Brawl; probably the most you could get is some friendlies.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Well, getting back on topic (sorry to be a buzzkill guys, I too would love to discuss everyone's Valentine's day plans/sex lives, but...)

We have:
Kirksville: Me, Kit, Jordan, Andrew, Rauleen, maybe 2 -4 others
IA (maybe): Joker, Schism, Razor...anyone else?
StL: Legan, Thinkaman...maybe 2 - 4 others?
Springfield (maybe) : Oranos and maybe 2 -6 others?

As far as I know, KC and Wichita aren't coming :(

This tournament's in two weeks, sooo...we need more people/more confirmation? Thoughts?

Cook

Smash Master
Apparently I have to work on 2/14 now, so I'm gonna have to leave the tournament at about 4:45. So I was wondering: would anybody be super-offended if we did singles first, then doubles? That way I'd be able to do singles, which is what I care most about (sorry Nicole).

Nuris

Smash Lord
You can confirm me from St. Louis. I will do my best to convince others to come with me (Chezzles and Future have both expressed interest). Also, I will be bringing a TV and Wii.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I just got a Lol idea, since this tourney is on the 14th, it should be called "Smash Bros. Before Hoes", since I'm pretty sure everyone has heard this before.

Well anyways, if Skizm decides to drive he can fit like 4-5 people, so then it may be:

• Skizm(for sure)
  • Joker(for sure)
  • Blank
  • Razor
The fifth person could be:
  • Jlo
  • Andy
  • Sekku
  • Kudou

However by the looks of it, it may just be us four, but if Razor decides to drive then is a whole different story

Nicole

Smash Champion
Apparently I have to work on 2/14 now, so I'm gonna have to leave the tournament at about 4:45. So I was wondering: would anybody be super-offended if we did singles first, then doubles? That way I'd be able to do singles, which is what I care most about (sorry Nicole).
I don't care if we do singles first, but...I am not impressed. I guess Kit can be my partner since Jordan left him for Rauleen...well, if he hasn't found someone else already? It'll be just like teaming with Jordan, except I'm not as good and don't know any of your team strategies! :chuckle:

Why don't you just ask off of work? Or call in sick? There are plenty of strategies you could use without getting fired.

Also, this is awesome that IA and StL are confirmed, and Wichita (!) might come too. This thing is gonna be pretty big after all, woohoo!

edit: Arkive & 8bit from KC are probably coming, with maybe some other people from KC too!

Cook

Smash Master
By the way, any and all setups would be appreciated! They make things go faster and allow us to have friendlies throughout.

Cook

Smash Master
The OP has been updated with directions to the venue.

@ Jordan and Nicole: if I call in on a day that I already asked off for it will be pretty obvious that I'm not sick, and I don't really want to put this job at risk because it's really easy, I make a lot of money, and I get free pizza.

Edit: anyone that's bringing a setup should let me know so I can have an idea of how many tables to procure. So far I've got one confirmed from Nuris. Anyone else?

Nicole

Smash Champion
@ Andrew
I'm not bringing a setup because you're not being my doubles partner. >_<

Also because I can't lift it. Sorry...I'll help you set up everything for the actual tournament though.

Also, I'm sure you'd just get written up and not actually fired if you didn't show up, but I know how you are with attending work and school...

Top Bottom