• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fear not (competitive players).

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Dash dancing, edge hopping, bomb jumping, and combos all in a convenient package:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfND2BkuKbY

Yes, the speed of the game is a bit slower than Melee, but we've still got SOME old tricks (see: Ken combo). Also, keep in mind that SSB64 is a slower game, and, well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bdg_G1CmRk

That's not exactly slow to me (well, not TOO slow).

Also, keep in mind that core tactics in Melee were not found for a while after it came out. Wavedashing and pillaring, for instance, were not found right off the bat, and ended up being commonly used skills. This means that new tactics will be found for Brawl, and competitive play will take a new form. Don't worry about Brawl's lack of competitive play. As far as I'm concerned, there is none.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I disagree; just judging from what we have already found I say that brawl will be competitive.

The real question is will it be more competitive then melee?

Ichida

Smash Ace
People have been whining about the loss of some ATs, but the fact is, people are finding all sorts of new ones in Brawl. It's confusing the hell out of me. >.<

Frogles

Smash Ace
that **** doesnt count as dashdancing. it covers so little distance that it's almost useless. also, i didn't see any combos in that vid. >_>

and @ ssb being slower. at this point, low stock brawl matches take way longer than most 5-stock SSB matches. so it's stupid to say that brawl is faster than ssb.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Intelligent people have always known that a game like Brawl will take several months to develop a competative scene/understanding.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
you cant show that ssb64 being slower but still having combos makes it ok for brawl to be slower and to still have combos, simply because u can SHFFL in SSB64

there is no l-canceling in brawl so SHFFLing is out of the question,

but the attacks diminishing in power thing is going to make things pretty interesting

Sumenora

Smash Apprentice
that **** doesnt count as dashdancing. it covers so little distance that it's almost useless. also, i didn't see any combos in that vid. >_>

and @ ssb being slower. at this point, low stock brawl matches take way longer than most 5-stock SSB matches. so it's stupid to say that brawl is faster than ssb.
its better then none at all so be happy that its even close...

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
its better then none at all so be happy that its even close...
It's really NOT close. At all. In fact, all that video does is demonstrate what we've known for a while-- that Brawl's version of dash dancing is completely useless. If you notice, he tries to DD for a bit at the beginning of the match, realizes that it's 100% worthless, and never tries it again.

Anyway, that match was pretty terrible. What's with all the people around here posting fights like this and saying "Hey guys check this out I thought you said Brawl would be slow and have no combos!"... then you proceed to watch the fight and it's sloppy and shows zero combo potential. I'm not saying Brawl won't be great and competitive in the FUTURE, but why are people posting bad videos with beginning players and claiming they're great?

NDUDE

Smash Ace
What's with all the people around here posting fights like this and saying "Hey guys check this out I thought you said Brawl would be slow and have no combos!"... then you proceed to watch the fight and it's sloppy and shows zero combo potential. I'm not saying Brawl won't be great and competitive in the FUTURE, but why are people posting bad videos with beginning players and claiming they're great?
I'm not. I'm showing basic bits of the game to show that Brawl has some serious potential to be just as competitive as Melee.

Also, isn't there auto-l-canceling?

WoodyDave

Smash Apprentice
It's really NOT close. At all. In fact, all that video does is demonstrate what we've known for a while-- that Brawl's version of dash dancing is completely useless. If you notice, he tries to DD for a bit at the beginning of the match, realizes that it's 100% worthless, and never tries it again.

Anyway, that match was pretty terrible. What's with all the people around here posting fights like this and saying "Hey guys check this out I thought you said Brawl would be slow and have no combos!"... then you proceed to watch the fight and it's sloppy and shows zero combo potential. I'm not saying Brawl won't be great and competitive in the FUTURE, but why are people posting bad videos with beginning players and claiming they're great?
I think most of it has to do with hype. And no one really knows how the game plays yet until they actually play it. So I agree that these new player videos don't really offer much other than some basic gameplay.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'm not. I'm showing basic bits of the game to show that Brawl has some serious potential to be just as competitive as Melee.

Also, isn't there auto-l-canceling?
No you're not, and no there isn't

You're showing a vid that really doesn't support your case at all. If you wanted to support your case, you should've acknowledged that there are people that are already better than you and used their vids to make a convincing arguement.

And no, low lag=/=auto L-canceling. Lag canceling involves a player input that cancels lag. Brawl's attacks just have less lag than melee's in general (for the faster characters anyway).

super-7

Smash Journeyman
and dont forget brawl hasnt even come out in NA so we will obviously develope into faster players u cant even knock brawl for being slow when its been out for a F-ing week!

Top Bottom