• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Newcomer so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Least Favorite to Most Favorite:

:4lucina: (Clone)

Everyone Else

:4robinm:(Awesome and Unique)

Bandana Dee when he is announced.
Where does Toon Link fit in? He's a clone too. :p

edit: nvm i'm stupid

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Where does Toon Link fit in? He's a clone too. :p
"Newcomer"

:|

Also I don't like Toon Link.

If they gave him a single new Special Move he would be fine, but the fact they did not frustrates me. Like give him a Deku Leaf thats pushes people back as a Side-B.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Really really hard to decide between :4pacman: and :4megaman:. I've always been a huge Mega Man fan, and when I was very very young I grew up on games like Pac-Land and Pac-Mania. I was really happy so see Mega Man in the game, especially in NES form, and seeing classic Pac hit my nostalgia chords pretty damn hard.

Second place would probably be :4littlemac: or :4villager:. I played Animal Crossing a lot growing up so seeing the Villager in Smash was pretty amazing. I hadn't played Punch Out until a year before he was revealed, but I was really surprised by how well he was executed in Smash and how well he fit in.

The rest are in no particular order:

:4mii: was surprisingly well executed. I'm excited to finally play as myself in Smash!

:4greninja: is also one of my favs, being my starter in Y version.

:4palutena::4lucina: and :rosalina: I don't personally like that much (though I still think they'll be great characters.)

With :4robinm:/:4robinf: I wasn't too excited about at first, not having ever played Awakening. Through the trailer though, I got to see that they're freakin' SPELL CASTERS! This may be the closest we'll get to getting a Castlevania character, so I may play Robin for that reason.

I like the concept of :4wiifit: just because it's so obscure. I don't think I'll be playing her, but we'll see.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Lucina and Villager the only two newcomers that I've wanted who have made it. The only one who could top them for me would be Isaac.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
:4megaman: as the icon who I most respect, but :4robinf: as the character who looks most fun to play.
Edit: I see everyone ranking all of them, so now I'm ranking all of them. Top to bottom, evaluating the entire character (not just how frequently I expect to play, which is what's in my sig):

Yes! Yes! Yes! Tier

:4lucina: - I really loved Lucina in Fire Emblem: Awakening since she had some of the most insane level-ups this side of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I also like playing Marth, so a variation of Marth works great for me.
:4robinf: - Finally a mix of swords and magic in a single character! Robin's attack type switching also reminds me of Pokemon Trainer, which was one of Brawl's best ideas even though the fatigue thing didn't work out.

High Tier

:4palutena: - I had very little interest in Palutena before she was revealed, but the idea of swappable special moves is again right up my alley. I like customization and her trailer gave her a fun personality.
:4megaman: - A projectile-based character isn't normally my thing (aerial characters are), but I can't deny Mega Man his due and I'm really looking forward to giving him a spin.
:4pacman: - I would have adamantly fought against Pac-Man until the very day he was revealed because I didn't think he could make sense in a fighting game. Sakurai really pulled one out here with a character reminiscent of Mr. Game & Watch's "never know what he's gonna do next" moveset, though, which is possibly my very favorite in concept.

Good Tier

:4greninja: - For a while Greninja was my favorite newcomer just because :substitute: is so awesome, but after watching the invitational he took a hit because he had more similarities to Sheik than my preferred speed character, Captain Falcon.

Okay Tier

:rosalina: - I love characters with unusual gimmicks like the Ice Climbers, but Rosalina's just not doing it for me after watching the invitational. Maybe that'll change after the game is out and people figure out how she plays, but if I'm going to play a character who seems to have no KO power then it had better be someone with an insanely good overall moveset like Pit. Another hit against her is that she's in and Daisy's not, but if Daisy shows up then maybe she can move up.

Don't Care Tier

:4littlemac: - I don't like Punch-Out and I like aerial-heavy characters, so Little Mac never had any chance with me.
:4mii: - No.
:4villager: - Even bigger no.
:4wiifit: - Somehow even bigger no. I love unusual characters like Mr. Game & Watch, Pac-Man, Palutena, R.O.B., and Ice Climbers, but that's because they're A) odd character choices, B) quirky movesets, and C) specific canon characters. Mii Fighters and Villager lack A, Wii Fit Trainer lacks B, and all three of them lack C.

Last edited:

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Honestly...none of them really excite me. I'm glad for Pac-Man and Megaman, but still not really excited.

Maybe it's because I'm still missing Lucas.

Never played Awakening, but Fem Robin would probably be the closest thing to my favorite addition. Would have preferred a pure spell caster though. Tired of swordsmen FE characters, but the spell tomes offer potential.

Probably would say the Miis before Robin though.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'm also not that excited about any character... since the only ones I really wanted were K. Rool, Mewtwo, Dixie, Ridley, and some cool Pokemon (like Scizor, Deoxys, ...) (and Knuckles and Tails, but that very likely won't happen anyway), but none of them are in the game. All the new ones are just "kinda there" to me. And I might stick the my old favorites (Diddy, DK, Wario, Sonic, ...).

The ones I like best would be :4littlemac: and :4greninja:, but I'll see how it goes. I definitely want to try them all out and they seem fun, it's just that I'm not that excited like I was for Sonic in Brawl and some others, because I don't really like them that much as characters. :/

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
From a gameplay perspective Greninja looks the most appealing to me, but I still don't think he's going to be any more than an alt for me, if even that. Lucina looks and sounds like a Marth that fits my playstyle more, so I'll probably play her a bit too. Don't really care about the rest from that point of view

From a pure video game fan perspective Mega Man wipes the floor with everyone else. Little Mac is also a great inclusion, and so is Robin. Sadly they don't suit my playstyle at all.

In Order: :4greninja::4lucina::4megaman::4littlemac::4robinm::4villager::4wiifit::4pacman::4mii::4palutena::rosalina:

Last edited:

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Would anybody be surprised if I said palutena?

I'm pretty excited for Robin too after yesterday..though I'm honestly excited for almost all the newcomers, so many great characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Most other confirmed newcomers really haven't impressed me as much, though I did get Little Mac and Palutena right.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I love them all. Wii Fit Trainer is my favourite and honestly s/he's probably one of the most deserving newcomers.

Most other confirmed newcomers really haven't impressed me as much, though I did get Little Mac and Palutena right.
That was not obvious

Your avatar, title and background character on your post did not make it obvious

I am so shocked

Rosalina and Villager are my favorite newcomers

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
Rosalina & Luma above all. Definitely my favorite so far.
I am actually quite interested in playing as Robin. I love the book and blade combination, and he/she looks possibly unique. I have hardly even played any Fire Emblem games either, but I would consider getting Awakening if I ended up enjoying playing as Robin just so that I do not feel dirty by playing as a character from a game that I have never played.
Villager has some slight interest.
Mii Fighters have surprisingly grabbed my interest. I typically have no interest in playing as Miis in any game.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
In order:

:4lucina: :rosalina: :4robinm: :4villager: :4palutena: :4greninja: :4wiifit: :4littlemac: :4pacman: :4mii: :4megaman:

I've always been a fan of Marth. I love the way he plays, but I hated that his focus was the tip of the sword. That's why I accept Lucina as a clone. She does what I've wanted Marth to do forever.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
:4villager:

Forever and always.

Also Rosalina, Pac-Man, and Robin.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
It's Robin by a huge margin for me. Until he was revealed, it was Mega Man followed closely by Villager and Greninja though.

Repiteo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Repiteo
No newcomer so far has me really chomping at the bit to get my hands on them, but some certainly did leave a very good impression. Namely: :4pacman:, :4palutena:, and :4robinm:.

I'm keeping my hopes up that something will really "wow" me these coming weeks, but if not, then I really can't complain, as nobody revealed so far has rubbed me the wrong way.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Note: I currently love ALL the newcomers, and have little to no complaints with them, but If I must make a list.. In the following order...

11.:4wiifit:

10.:rosalina:

9.:4villager:

8.:4mii:

7.:4pacman:

6.:4lucina:

5.:4greninja:

4.:4palutena:

3.:4littlemac:

2.:4robinm::4robinf:

1.:4megaman:

ShadowMarth14

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashBro801
Really really hard to decide between :4pacman: and :4megaman:. I've always been a huge Mega Man fan, and when I was very very young I grew up on games like Pac-Land and Pac-Mania. I was really happy so see Mega Man in the game, especially in NES form, and seeing classic Pac hit my nostalgia chords pretty damn hard.

Second place would probably be :4littlemac: or :4villager:. I played Animal Crossing a lot growing up so seeing the Villager in Smash was pretty amazing. I hadn't played Punch Out until a year before he was revealed, but I was really surprised by how well he was executed in Smash and how well he fit in.

The rest are in no particular order:

:4mii: was surprisingly well executed. I'm excited to finally play as myself in Smash!

:4greninja: is also one of my favs, being my starter in Y version.

:4palutena::4lucina: and :rosalina: I don't personally like that much (though I still think they'll be great characters.)

With :4robinm:/:4robinf: I wasn't too excited about at first, not having ever played Awakening. Through the trailer though, I got to see that they're freakin' SPELL CASTERS! This may be the closest we'll get to getting a Castlevania character, so I may play Robin for that reason.

I like the concept of :4wiifit: just because it's so obscure. I don't think I'll be playing her, but we'll see.
I know what you mean. I loved Pacman as a kid he was one of my heroes. If he was in Brawl at the time, i would have drowned in hype.

In order:

:4lucina: :rosalina: :4robinm: :4villager: :4palutena: :4greninja: :4wiifit: :4littlemac: :4pacman: :4mii: :4megaman:

I've always been a fan of Marth. I love the way he plays, but I hated that his focus was the tip of the sword. That's why I accept Lucina as a clone. She does what I've wanted Marth to do forever.
Finally Lucina gets the love she deserves.

Last edited by a moderator:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:4robinm: not so my favourite the one im more interested i don't have a favourite yet hopefully i will by the end of it

Last edited:

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Alright, let's see...

1) :4greninja: This one had me up on my feet, laughing and shouting. One of my favorite Pokemon of all time, my own starter, in one of the most hype-inducing trailers of all time? Oh, yes. Plus, he has a really cool ninja fighting style and is the first character aside from Squirtle to use water-based attacks.
2) :rosalina: Thought I wanted Palutena more, Rosalina ended up being the one I got more hyped over. Unique fighting style, elegant character, and a great reveal trailer. This is the other trailer that got me out of my chair.
3) :4palutena: One of my most wanted newcomers out of all of them. Looks great, looks like she'll play great with all that customization and those unique moves, and I've always been more inclined toward the larger, heavier characters (as I am a Bowser main). The only downside was the reveal, which had little to no suspense or buildup since she was there right at the start.
4) :4robinm: :4robinf: Great, complex moveset, terrific video, and gender choice available: I give you the man/woman that broke the Gematsu leak! I always wanted Robin more than Chrom, so this really is a dream come true.

After that, :4villager:, :4littlemac:, :4lucina:, and :4megaman: all rank about the the same. Very good inclusions, but ones I never got particularly enthralled over. After them come :4wiifit:, :4mii:, and :4pacman:, who never really tickled my fancy.

Last edited:

Drowzee64

Smash Cadet
NNID
drowzee64
3DS FC
2895-6543-6932
Hype Tier
  • :rosalina:(favorite mario character)
  • :4littlemac:(looks like a blast to play as)
  • :substitute:
Inclusion Appreciated Tier
  • :4robinm:/:4robinf:(i've been wanting a fire emblem character that doesn't exclusively use swords)
  • :4wiifit:(her voice clips are hilarious to me and i might actually main her. a+ joke character)
  • :4villager:(animal crossing's had some character representation coming for a long time now)
  • :4myfriends: 's new bod (totally counts)
  • :4mii: (only so i can occasionally play as hank hill for a joke and then never use them again)
Not Relevant To Me But I'm Not Going To Complain Tier
  • :4greninja:(chespin was my x/y starter whoops)
  • :4lucina:(i have no idea what her story is or why she looks so much like marth but i tend to not complain about new girl characters)
  • :4palutena:(eh, why not have her in)
  • :4megaman: (i missed the time frame required to experience nostalgia for this series)
  • :4pacman:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
IN ORDER:
:4villager: - Villager has been my favourite from the start. I love the fact that Animal Crossing has a playable character! Villager's move set is very well done, and he looks like a lot of fun to play as! His playstyle appeals to me and so does the character, so Villager is definitely my number one most favorite Smash 4 newcomer. He might even surpass Kirby as my main.
:4megaman: - I was so happy when Mega Man was revealed. It's about time for him to get some love! It's also time he is playable in Smash - and his design and moves are perfect! I'm very pleased.
:4pacman: - I love that Pac-man is in Smash Bros! It is amazing to see Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-man all in the same game!
:4littlemac: - I am very glad to see this fan-favorite be playable. I've never been too into Punch-out, but he is a welcomed addition for me.
:4wiifit: - Despite the hate they get from a lot of people, I enjoy the addition of Wii Fit Trainer. It surprisingly makes a lot of sense and I like what Sakurai has done with the moveset.
:4palutena: - I always wanted her in, so I am pleased by her presence - but somthing feels off about her. Her design, her moves, I dunno... it's hard to describe. I wouldn't say that I am disappointed, per se, but it doesn't feel quite right.
:rosalina: - I really like Rosalina as a character, but I still think Toad should have got in before her. I think its a little too early for Rosalina.
:4robinm: - I've never played Awakening, so I don't know much about the character. Their moveset looks cool, and it's nice to see some magic... but I still think Chrom would have made more sense.
:4greninja: - It's pretty cool and all to see Greninja playable, and I do like the Pokemon, but much like with Rosalina I feel like he came in too early.
:4mii: - I'm not too thrilled about it, but it makes sense. The way Sakurai implemented Miis is fine; it could have been much worse.
:4lucina: - Most disappointing character for me, by far. She is the laziest clone yet, and feels unnecessary in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom