• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Anime?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
naruto... oh yeah... like dbz, only about 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better and not nearly as lame.

MetalShade

Smash Journeyman
If you like blood and gore you should really see Hellsing, its quite good. But I've only seen the first half of the show, but another cool thing about it is the main character is invincible. BUT you should really look into it, it's an awesome show.:D

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
hes not invincible to those holy bullets.

I gotta agree with CORYangeljosh that Naruto is definitley great. It RULES! I also like NGE and cowboy bebop. I also am starting to get into the show Soul Taker on Tech TV.

MetalShade

Smash Journeyman
But Alucard kicked major a** when she let him release that last restriction :D.I can't wait until the second season...

Also, is there any one who would really consider pokemon an anime? No offense, but to me pokemon just seems to.... to...to childish or something to me.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
well, not angry but ive seen it so many times before. Anime is not a term you personally can use to describe a show. Anime itself is animation usually drawn in japan. It really just means animation, so it could even describe an american styled show. pokemon is very kiddy, but, it being made in japan, and since the japanese people speak japanese, then it is called "anime" even if it gives a bad name to other more worthy shows.

DarkDragon7

Smash Apprentice
I personally like Rurouni Kenshin and Ranma 1/2 as my favorites. And when I say RK, I mean the real Japanese subs and stuff. Don't give me this wussy child crap called Cartoon Network. I don't really like what they do for anime but it gets exposure and it's probably the only way it can exist in America. *shrugs* Other fine series include anything Gundam and Macross. Eva's good too.

MetalShade

Smash Journeyman
If any ones looking, listen to me... Toonami is a peice of ****! It edits out so much that doesn't even do anything wrong. But I thing about downloading anime that is subbed, Its good and all until you see subbed Eva. I think subbed Eva sucks, just find english versions its alot better.

Also, ender: I know pokemon is japanimation. Its just it doen't seem like a good storyline really. It just continues on forever and ever.... Its so **** boring, it would be ok if those people over in japan making the show would put an end to it! They're too focused on trying to make tons of money even though that poke' craze already faded.

KenshinSlayer

Smash Rookie
Technically, Pokemon IS an anime, and there many other anime which can be called never-ending. There are things more kiddy and just plain odd than that, plus it's straight from Japan. And it's still popular with another series and all. Trust me, if you think Pokemon the worst anime ever than you have yet to see shows like Beyblade or Mon Colle Knights -_-

Well, on to good anime. My eternal favorite is always going to be Cowboy Bebop, the soundtrack and nearly episode (with the exception of Boogie Woogie Fun Shui(?)) was near perfection. Other favs include Jungle wa Itsuma(?) and Boogie Pop Phantom.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
My most favorate anime will forever be Cowboy Bebop. I have the entire series on DVD and the Movie. Any one who has not seen this yet must do so ASAP.

Another favorate of mine is Berserk, which has one of the best ****ed stories ever. Currently I'm reading the manga off the internet. Ninja Scrolls is also great. My favorate anime movie.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I think you should try to find some of the other anime listed on this thread vincent, I think it would change your favorites list.

anime is not a term used exclusivley for shows made in japan that certain people like. No matter how crappy pokemon is, its still anime.

And the guy who likes the non-cartoon network kenshin, are you talking about the samurai-X OVAs?

BlueObsidian

Smash Journeyman
Well, I definitely gotta go for Rurouni Kenshin and Hellsing as my favorite animes. Cowboy Beebop and Naruto are also pretty good.

And Ender: I think MetalShade was referring to both the Samurai X OVAs and the japanese episodes of Rurouni Kenshin that doesn't cut stuff out, for example Saito's attempt at breaking the bones in Kenshin's neck, Cho's lack of swearing, etc.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
My fav anime? Hm....I might have to say Cardcaptor Sakura, sub, not dub. Although I like lots of other anime too ^-^ Hm...like...HunterXhunter, Trigun, Gravitation...can't really think right now, so I might come back and edit with more later ^_^

firaga01

Smash Lord
Hm, my favorite animes would have to be Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop. Evangelion was actually the first anime I ever saw, and I cant see who wouldnt like an anime about bounty hunters. :D

Geo

Smash Ace
BIG O!: Favorite anime ever. I don't care what you think, I'm selfish like that.
InuYasha is nice as well. Is it true that theres over 111 for this anime?
Kikaider: I know blah blah you prolly hate it but for those of us with depression and stuff, well we like it.
Gundam Wing: G-Gundam is **** it ruined Gundams forever.
Cowboy Bebop: it's nice and action packed and very good.
Lupin III: suck my *** if you don't like it. Anime doesn't have to be all action and drama. Lupin is a nice change for once.
Yu Yu Hakusho: Kind of repetitive but I like it.

I think I'm done. I really gotta buy some DVDs or get DSL till then I have to watch adult swim.

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
G-Gundam crap! YOU DIE!!

Well I do like the more fast paced animes out there so here's what I'm liking so far

Yuyu Hakusho (uncut version): I perfer the uncut version over that Toonami version anyday. Plus I love how much more uncut the manga is. Plus I can't wait for the final episodes in which Urameshi fights Tuguro.

One Piece (it is an anime ya know): I've only read the manga and read about the animes that they have of one piece, I hope that it comes to adult swim soon.

G-Gundam: I really don't like to watch depressing Hiro Yui complain and moan about how war is heck and how he was trained to be a killer, so I watch this show and saw how Domon kicked arse instead of whinning.

InuYasha: This one is more story than any manga I've seen, and it's never the same episode whenever I watch. Plus this one is the most popular show so I might as well go with the flow.

I don't have anymore for right now, when shows like Sonic X and Big O come out I'll post again. :shyguy: :beezo:

Takagi

Smash Journeyman
One Piece is my favorite anime of all-time. probably under one piece would be hunter x hunter and all of the other jump animes like naruto, prince of tennis, yu yu hakusho, slam dunk, etc. i can understand japanese so i don't have to wait for subbed anime to come out ^_^. currently watching GTO.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
G-gundam is the only gundam that makes sense. How can moving two sticks make a robot jump, turn around, and shoot directly at a target in space?

Does inuyasha have over 111 what? episodes? I dont know what you are asking.

I guess you would have to be depressed to enjoy kikaider.

Heero

Smash Journeyman
InuYasha, Cowboy Bebop, and RahXephon are my current favorite animes.

In RahXephon, the story takes play in Tokyo and it has been overthrown by invaders who devastated the rest of the planet. Ayato (main character) sees this girl who looks just like the one in his painting. She leads him into this giant mech looking thing called RahXephon. Ayato somehow can control RahXephon and later finds out secrets about his family and the area where he lives.

I only seen the first four episodes so far.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cowboy Bebop.

I don't say this because everyone else likes it. But because it is a very well done anime. It's got all the good things a story needs: Irony, suspense, good plot, background story that is reveal as the timeline moves forward, character development. Also I'll mention that the animation is done very nicely. The style is very fluid and done with good detail. The voice acting fits perfect with each main character's unique personalities.

And the best reason of all:

Jazz.

kupo

Smash Lord
I recently watched Fushigi Yuugi. omg, it instantly becomes my top favourite. lol, some parts were so tragic i cried!...i gotta watch it again...
umm...Card Cadptors...EVA...Kare Kano...
Ninja Robots: Old, but nice animation.

I gotta watch Naruto...CORY you better show me the jitsus!!

Geo

Smash Ace
Yea sorry about that I do mean 111+ episodes for InuYasha.

As for me hating G-Gundam its just too DBZ type for me. I mean the guys jump and throw 23572359634965893245 kicks at their opponents. When I want gian robot fighting action I demande war and buster rifles and beam sabers not kung fu and energy beams out the hands. Thats why I hate it.

Kikaider I dunno I just like it. If you notice it has like 2 frames of animation through most shots its hillarious.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah, g gundam's dbz with robots. i don't find the plot or anything else for that matter worth my time, either...

and when i saw the previews for kikaider on adult swim i thought it looked bad ***. i was hoping it'd be nice. i saw a few eps, thought they were ok (didn't like the character design most of the time, but then i remembered that it was made a while back and just forgot about that). but then the last few eps i've seen, the story seemed to take on a power ranger-ish twist... i just don't like where it seems to be going now. the only thing i really like about the series now is that guitar theme, i find it really nice.

and, yes, big o is awesome and i can't wait for the second season to come around on adult swim.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kikaider.

Well I personally think it really sucks, BUT I've been watching it night after night just to keep up with the storyline. And I must admit it has a good voice acting, good plot, good character development, and some pretty nice music. It's overall depressing, the music and the story. What I don't like is the animation aspects of it. I think it's a pretty cheap anime when it comes to eye candy. There's not much to see. I don't like the character designs either. Too me it's the apitimy of all "lazy anime." By lazy anime I mean anime that advances each scene slowly and uses the same frame for a minute or more (It gets old to watch). It's got its pros and cons.

Geo

Smash Ace
Yeah if you notice on Kikaider its mostly pans on a still shot while dialogue is played. Then when a character is talking it'll still be still shot while the mouth moves up and down. Aout two frames of animation.

As for the music.... I love it especialle when Jiro plays his guitar. I want that song so bad. Characters aren't too memorable but there are a couple nice ones. I'd list but I cant spell the names.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Let's see here...

Assorted Gundam.

I like just about every Gundam series I've seen, but I take a particular shine to Zeta, X, the movie Char's Counterattack, and most recently I've been VERY impressed by Gundam SEED. It started out seeming like a composite creation based on the previous Gundam series, but eventually it came into its own and there's a very real chance of it becoming my favorite alternate universe series. Though all the characters still pale in comparison to Char Aznable...well, Cagalli comes pretty **** close. Great character she is.

Cardcaptor Sakura.

My absolute favorite shoujo anime, as it's just full of cute goodness. It also contains my favorite anime female ever, Daidouji Tomoyo. I like her in spite of her age, not because of, for those of you raising your eyebrows.

Witch Hunter Robin.

The overall mood of this show is fantastic. It's just...great.

Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki)

Same thing here. This show is just so incredibly good I recommend that EVERYONE here start watching it, seriously. The plot moves slowly at some points, but most of the time it's the right pace, with a good amount of action, drama, and the plot progression is incredible. The artwork is also incredible. Again, I HIGHLY recommend this show to everyone.

Galaxy Express 999

A classic, through and through. One of Matsumoto Reiji's finest works. Emotional is the best word to describe it. Though the animation is dated, it won't matter. You'll love the passengers of the 999, as well as noted space pirates Captain Harlock and Queen Emeraldas. Maetel is one of the greatest characters of all time, and I say that with the utmost confidence. She does the "gentle girl" thing so well that all others pale in comparison.

Slayers.

You all know this show, I suspect. Overly loud female sorcerer Lina Inverse and her crazy adventures involving magic and monsters and beating up her own teammates and what-not.

Serial Experiments Lain.

Whoohah, two words. Brain Pudding.

Kodomo no Omocha.

My second-favorite shoujo series. Hyper happiness.

Naruto.

When this show gets good, it gets GOOD. Great fight scenes, great plot progression, great humor, and especially great characters. I like how just about all the characters are very unique. Ahhh, Hyuga Hinata.

That's not all of them, but that would take too long to list.

Soccer-Fan

Smash Journeyman
My post looks tiny compared to Nobie's

Cowboy Bebop without a doubt. That has got to be the best anime in the world, in my opinion.

annoying jammez

Donut
BRoomer
I don't have one exact favorite anime, but I'll break it down into genres for you. :p

Comedy: Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu, Excel Saga
These anime are so hilariously funny and off the wall, I actually laughed out loud. Excel Saga is so random, although it does lose it's authenticity around the later episodes (but the last one is, by far, the funniest). Hare nochi Guu's torment of Hale is fully funny, and the characters all have some strange quirk that somehow ruins Hale's life.

Action: Noir
Loads of style, nice animation, nice music, nice story, nice characters. Nice, etc.

Drama: Neon Genesis Evangelion(?)
Although I didn't like the mecha too much, the storyline is pretty good. The ending was a little disappointing, but the movies make up for it, I guess.

Romance: Ai Yori Aoshi
VERY nice animation and graphics, fan service, sweet story. Actually, fan service can be counted as a bad thing, but... Meh.

Horror/Suspense: N/A
I have yet to see one of these, maybe I'll watch Hellsing.

Mystery: Perfect Blue
This was a pretty cool movie, the ending was especially good/fascinating. Pretty old, but still very good, technically.

Other: .hack//SIGN, .hack//dusk
Very original, though being milked for most of what it's worth. :/ Many people have already seen it, so there's no point for a mini-summary.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Oh man, how could I forget Azumanga Daioh?

If you don't like this anime, you don't deserve to live. Simple as that.

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, the old favorites - Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Inuyasha, NGE, Outlaw Star, etc. Those all rock.

Recently I have downloaded two animes: Jin-Roh, the Wolf Brigade (a movie), and Fooly Cooly (and OVA that's also known as FLCL and Furi Kuri - coming soon to adult swim). Both are so amazing, you have to see them for yourselves.

Jin-Roh takes place in Tokyo-3, after it had been destroyed in a nuclear war and rebuilt. A new government has arisen, and much of the populace is not happy. They rebel. And to fight these rebels, an elite squad of militants tries to stop it. One man in this squad.... you know what? I hate doing summaries. Just go watch it, dammit. I promise you won't be disappointed.

And FLCL will simply blow you away. Trust me. Just wait for it on Adult Swim.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Jin-roh is really cool. I love the red ridding hood theme, which seems odd for a story like that.

I didnt know Flcl was coming to adult swim, but I cant wait.

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just to let everyone know...

Big O, season 2 begins sunday night, Aug. 3, at 11 pm on adult swim.

FLCL begins monday night (technically, it's tuesday morning) Aug. 4, at midnight on adult swim.

Blue Gender begins monday night (tuesday morning), Aug. 4, at 12:30 am on adult swim.

[adultswim.com]

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah, flcl is sweet. the one ep i saw last night was great and i'm gonna be hooked for quite a while.

but, when's big o gonna be shown? only sunday nights? i was all sad that i'd miss the first new ep while i was at tg5 but i thought i'd be able to see the next one when i got back and it wasn't there...

Geo

Smash Ace
I saw FLCL last night.......very.cool. This has the potential for a cult classic. Too bad it's only six episodes! I love the manga scenes. I heard the story is really hard to catch though this is a commedy after all.

As for Big O season 2 I only saw like half of that episode......it makes me a sad sad panda that I missed it.

Top Bottom