• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastfall Sourspot Upair - Stalk Market Combos (Villager's Best Combo Tool)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Stalk Market Combos

Turnips. Extremely fast projectiles that Villager has in his arsenal, taking the place of his up aerial and down aerial. They also have a lingering hitbox that lasts quite a while, and hits with a sourspot. Another interesting property of Villager's upair and dair, is that they both have very low landing lag, enabling him to act out of landing lag very fast.

This lingering hitbox, namely on Villager's upair, might have more potential than we thought, when we take into account the low landing lag of the move.

So today we'll be covering some combos and follow-ups you can do off of fastfall sourspot upair as Villager.

For reference:
1. All of these combos have been tested on :4pit:
2. These do not work on characters shorter than :4mario:, as the turnips simply won't hit them. And for characters of or around Mario's height, there is only a specific part of the turnip that reaches them, so it's safer to try something else. That being said, on other characters, you basically just have to fall on them. (Unless specified, all turnips work for these followups and combos)

3. 1-turnip at sourspot does 4% damage fresh, 2-turnip is 5%, and 3-turnip does 6% fresh. Thus, the combo damages will vary by 2% depending on the turnip.

Jablock:

FF upair can jablock easier than dthrow, since it sends opponents at a more upwards angle, and less far. Just ff upair into footstool, then use lloid immediately to stop momentum, and ff nair onto your opponent. Then bowling ball for death.

0% - Nothing combos, but you can try to followup with a grab.

10% - Grab followup still works. Tilts can be used as followups, but don't true combo at this percent.

Combos -
Double jab (10-12%)

20% - Double jab no longer works (1st jab misses), grab and ftilt followups still possible.

Combos -
1st hit of uptilt combos. 2nd hit for some reason does not, but does still hit. (assuming they think it's a true combo and don't airdodge) (If counting 2nd hit of uptilt as combo, 15-17%)

3-tunip combo - Dtilt (19%)

30% - Grab followup still works

Combos -
Nair (13-15%)
Uptilt (same)
Dtilt (17-19%)
1 and 2-turnip combo - Ftilt (13-14%)

40% - Grab followup still works

Combos -
Uptilt (same, but 2nd hit of uptilt easier to escape)
Nair (same)
1-turnip combo - Dtilt (17%)

50% - 3-turnip grab followup no longer works

Combos -
Uptilt (same)
Nair (same)
Upair, accounting for lowest, 2 1-turnips, and highest, 2 3-turnips. (12% - 19%)

60% - Only 1-turnip grab followup still works

Combos -
Uptilt (3-turnip now makes 2nd uptilt hit be a true combo)
Nair (same)
Upair (same)
Fair (11-13%)

70% - No immediate grab followup

Combos -
Uptilt (1 and 2-tunips are the same, 3-turnip no longer works)
Nair (same)
Upair (same)
Fair (same)

80%-90% - Same as 70%, but uptilt doesn't work anymore

New combo - Bair (13-15%)

100% - Same as 80-90%, but 3-turnip upair will KO.

110% - Same as 100%, but Bair will kill

120% - Same as 110%, but Fair and Bair hard to combo unless you get 1-turnip.

3-turnip combo - 2-turnip upair KOs

If you have any questions, suggestions, or new info, feel free to share :3

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Hey Darklink
Curious to see how exactly I'm supposed to insert falling UAir into my every game type of play, mind recording some sort of replay showcasing some good usage?
Thanks o3o

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hey Darklink
Curious to see how exactly I'm supposed to insert falling UAir into my every game type of play, mind recording some sort of replay showcasing some good usage?
Thanks o3o
This is theory right now, but I do plan to insert it into my gameplay :3

Since you can do it behind your opponent, you can also avoid shieldgrabs

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
It seems to me that if I can score falling up-air, I might as well use d-air, and then jump up to u-air.

The only use I can think of falling up-air with Villager is if it gives me that much less landing lag so that I can avoid being shield grabbed. Is this true?

Also for it to be the sour spot of up-air I'd have to have it out for quite a while. Enough time for the enemy to shield even in laggy For Glory.

Please though, continue developing the theory.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It seems to me that if I can score falling up-air, I might as well use d-air, and then jump up to u-air.

The only use I can think of falling up-air with Villager is if it gives me that much less landing lag so that I can avoid being shield grabbed. Is this true?

Also for it to be the sour spot of up-air I'd have to have it out for quite a while. Enough time for the enemy to shield even in laggy For Glory.

The thing is, with dair, you're counting on the fact that you'll get 3-turnip, otherwise it's just a regular attack. FF upair is a guaranteed combo.

Also upair (and dair for that matter) have very little landing lag, to the point where, if it hits shield, you can do an immediate sh nair or just spotdodge/roll and you'll likely avoid a punish. A lot of opponents will try to smash attack you from that, but no smash attack can punish upair's landing lag.

And yes, because it stays out for a while is why you can catch people off-guard. If you had to hit it at a specific frame it'd be a bit harder, but you can just dare to fall on them with upair and it may hit them, because they won't expect it. (also the move is out until you reach the ground) so if they shieldgrab, they'll get hit, I'm quite sure)

:3

EDIT:

ADDED JABLOCK TO OP

Last edited:

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
Yo, I'm AJL I've been reading the boards a lot, but I haven't made an account until now.
Anyways, I sorta neglect Up Air a lot, and this just made me realize how useful it is. Maybe I'll spend some time in the lab just for practicing these.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yo, I'm AJL I've been reading the boards a lot, but I haven't made an account until now.
Anyways, I sorta neglect Up Air a lot, and this just made me realize how useful it is. Maybe I'll spend some time in the lab just for practicing these.
It can be punished if you go too hard for these and your opponent catches on, but it certainly is good for quick punishes and catching your opponent off-guard :3

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358

Couldn't you just SH UAir and FF to get the sour spot? It doesn't need to be the end of the animation.
Just like many other moves, you can use it by short hopping and using the move right as your on the other side of the shield. This applies to UAir. It's basically used as a cross up.
Also DAir to jump UAir isnt true unless its a direct 3 turnip, where as falling UAir guarantees varying true combos.
Gonna hit the lab and test some things, will try applying it to something.

@ Darklink401 Darklink401 about the Jablock you posted, have you tried doing it repeatedly for an infinite? I'm sure the percent would ruin the idea but still o_o
Also, what % do you do the footstool combo? Trying around 30ish on Ganon but only get it if 3turnip

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Couldn't you just SH UAir and FF to get the sour spot? It doesn't need to be the end of the animation.
Just like many other moves, you can use it by short hopping and using the move right as your on the other side of the shield. This applies to UAir. It's basically used as a cross up.
Also DAir to jump UAir isnt true unless its a direct 3 turnip, where as falling UAir guarantees varying true combos.
Gonna hit the lab and test some things, will try applying it to something.

@ Darklink401 Darklink401 about the Jablock you posted, have you tried doing it repeatedly for an infinite? I'm sure the percent would ruin the idea but still o_o
Also, what % do you do the footstool combo? Trying around 30ish on Ganon but only get it if 3turnip
Oh I guess that's true, you can do it while moving towards your opponent, then if you get a hit confirm you fast fall and jump for a combo followup.

Pretty sure you can do it repeatedly, tho the % would vary due to turnip RNG. Since bowling ball kills so early, I dont think it's necessary to loop it, but it should be able to be done.

I used to do it to ganon at like 40-50% or so, in training mode.

Also since upair, at least 1 and 2 turnip, have low KB with sourspot, it should work even at higherish %s X3

Top Bottom