• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest way to get Mii Hats

König Nickerchen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoenigNickerchen
Hello, I play Smash Bros. 3DS more then a week and I´m missing 5 Hats among them the Peach wig.
I always play Smash Adventure, Trophy Rush and I always get Mii Hats I already have. This game is getting me in rage.
Is there really no other way to play this stupid Smash Run and Trophy Rush. I´m not good at the wheel in Classic I tried to use the pause function but I so often miss the wrench. This game is really get to annoying.
Can you say me a way please to get fast Mii Hats I´m really on my limit.

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
There isn't, really. At least nothing aside from what you've already been doing.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
...You miss the wrench even when home cancelling the slot in classic? You're not doing it right. I've been doing nothing but that and gotten plenty of custom specials, outfits and hats (6+ intensity).

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
Do the odds of getting a mii hat increase if you play as Mii Fighters?

Ohio86

Smash Cadet
I was asking my friend how he got his mini top hat, and he mentioned Trophy Rush using Donkey Kong. I went in to use Donkey Kong and sure enough within fifteen minutes I got the mini top hat. Could be confirmation bias (and probably luck), anyone else want to give it a try that hasn't received that hat? It was my last hat to collect. I've completed classic on 9.0 over 200 times, and I don't want to think about how much grinding I did elsewhere.

Atmuh

Smash Cadet
I was asking my friend how he got his mini top hat, and he mentioned Trophy Rush using Donkey Kong. I went in to use Donkey Kong and sure enough within fifteen minutes I got the mini top hat. Could be confirmation bias (and probably luck), anyone else want to give it a try that hasn't received that hat? It was my last hat to collect. I've completed classic on 9.0 over 200 times, and I don't want to think about how much grinding I did elsewhere.
if there are specific conditions required to find certain hats it could definitely explain why trying over and over with the same character is getting me no new hats

Ohio86

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I'd go that far. For a large part, I feel like it is still random. But possibly some characters may influence drops...but I am not sure at all on anything.

Last edited:

Atmuh

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I'd go that far. For a large part, I feel like it is still random. But possibly some characters may influence drops...but I am not sure at all on anything.
well there has to be done reason why lots of us are getting stuck at a certain number and haven't gotten a new one in weeks

edit just got my first new hat in a long time taking this advice. fancy pirate hat playing dark pit on trophy rush. anyone who needs this hat...try this and see what happens

edit again just got another one
dragon helmet doing trophy rush with olimar

I think there's something to this

Last edited:

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
About the mii hats, you guys mind checking something for me?
go to mii hats, then go to order obtained, and go to the bottom of the list.
I have a whole group of friends that all have the wild west hat as the first one, But I have Cat ears. Not sure how that is possible seeing as they are the default ones.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
About the mii hats, you guys mind checking something for me?
go to mii hats, then go to order obtained, and go to the bottom of the list.
I have a whole group of friends that all have the wild west hat as the first one, But I have Cat ears. Not sure how that is possible seeing as they are the default ones.
Cat ears were also my first Mii hat. Going by my milestones and memory, I did 1 stock matches until I unlocked ROB, then did 100-man smash, then Classic mode with Bowser. I'm pretty sure that's when I got the Cat Ears. From there I finished unlocking everyone through smash mode and then started running classic to get gear.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I went through this when I first explored the Mii options.

Ask yourself why you need the hats this minute. You may discover it's a vanity or completionist way of thinking taking priority of the games actual fun, and you may want to switch gears a bit. I wouldn't be saying this if the hats were obtainable by ways in which you could influence, but other than you putting in more time, or using the home trick, it's luck we're talking about.

The hats will come! I still don't have every one and I've put in decent time, so be prepared. But they do show up eventually. The home button trick does help your chances though, so try widening your goals with red wrenches. Include custom moves, improving your skill (vs pc ha,) and silly equipment into these hopes, and you'll be less annoyed and feel more generally rewarded.

If you've played other games with rare drops, this is nothing new. You're trying to conquer luck, instead of appreciate it when it shares its favor and of course we get annoyed when it doesn't.

Here's hoping for the two of us though.
:D

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
Cat ears were also my first Mii hat. Going by my milestones and memory, I did 1 stock matches until I unlocked ROB, then did 100-man smash, then Classic mode with Bowser. I'm pretty sure that's when I got the Cat Ears. From there I finished unlocking everyone through smash mode and then started running classic to get gear.
This makes sense. You only unlock the default hats when you make your first mii. So if you get the cat ears first before you make your mii, it will be your first obtainable one and not the wild west hat. I also did a few classic runs first before making a mii.

Your the first one beside me that also don't have the wild west hat as first obtainable. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I was almost afraid I screwed my save by using power saves to back up my save.

EDIT: I just tested this with a new save and it didn't work. I don't know why cat ears are our first hats.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There's some kinda hat bias or something. Six hats in classic, all old, and I'm missing about a fith of them. I've been grinding every different way imaginable trying to get the stupid things. One of these modes has to have the hats...

krale

Smash Rookie
What i"m currently doing work pretty well, got 1 new headgear after 4 try (54/58)
i do (in order) :
  1. 1 game of smash me and 3 CPU, all random character, random stage (not omega), all item on, 1 stock.
  2. classic with the character i got in smash, intensity 7.9 or 8.0.
  3. restart target blast with the same character until i get 1 wrench.
  4. trophies rush with the same character.
then back to smash

(smash is to see if using certain character, stage, or item increase the % of certain headgear. like using greenshell in smash -> more % of getting redshell headgear in classic)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I've tried Classic on 9.0, 0.0, and 2.0, Smash Run, Trophy Rush, and Home Run Contest with Miis and regular characters. Every hat I've gotten from these methods are old. Target Blast, on the other hand, has gotten me a new Panda Hat through the Villager trick.

I'm missing:
Capt. Falcon Helmet
Frog Hat
Lacy Headband
Mini Top Hat
Wario's Hat
Dog Ears
and the Floral Hat.

Anybody remember where they got theirs?

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
So i've done a bunch of testing and there is definitely some system of certain hats being available to certain characters. The best way I can put it is that every character has probably about 15 - 20 hats available to them, and those are the only ones that will drop if you're playing that character. The game mode, difficulty, etc, don't seem to really matter.

If this is the case the best way to crack it out is probably going to be to have a bunch of people pick a character and record what hats they get with them, then compile them into a database on the wiki. I've been playing Greninja for about a week in an effort to get the final 3 hats I need, and in that time I've gotten over 200 hats, 99% of which were:

Shy Guy Mask
Chef Hat
Spiny Hat
Swimming Cap
Barbara the Bat Wig
Master Gardener's Crown
Mario's Cap
Wario's Cap
Captain Falcon Helmet
Mii Force Helmet
Dragon Helmet
Red Shell Hat
Dog Ears

The other issue is checking if this is consistent between players, so if someone else wants to start using Greninja to see if they get similar hats, that would be great.

The ones I'm missing are:
Panda Hat
Santa Hat
Lacy Headband

So if anyone sees these regularly, let me know which characters you use.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only hats that I'm missing are...

Floral Hat
Frog Hat
Panda Hat
Peach's Crown

I have all the suits and custom specials, so it's just the hats that I have left to do.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
There's 55 Mii hats, right? I counted how much I have earlier and I think I counted 49, but on the stats menu it says 42. Do I need 13 hats or 6? I'm guessing you start with some hats and those aren't counted in stats.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
There are 55 hats total. 7 are available from the beginning (Western Hat, Cowboy Hat, Cat Ears, Devil Horns, Ninja Headband, Straw Hat, and Hibiscus) and 48 to collect. The listing on the stats menu is how many hats you have collected, so it does not include the default 7, having the number under headgear in the stats list be 48 is the complete collection.

Continuing with my "every character unlocks certain hats" theory, I've started doing trophy rush as Villager (because LancerStaff mentioned that Villager dropped Panda Hat, which I need) and so far I've gotten:

1-Up Hat
Prince's Crown
Beehive Wig
Mii Force Helmet
Wedding Veil
Daisy's Crown

and Lacy Headband, which is one of the ones I needed.

Edit: I made a google docs spreadsheet to keep track of the info

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x-6NeTszvM2FFlshg1hyN4lcxfalkDE0PmV5IcNDptM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
There are 55 hats total. 7 are available from the beginning (Western Hat, Cowboy Hat, Cat Ears, Devil Horns, Ninja Headband, Straw Hat, and Hibiscus) and 48 to collect. The listing on the stats menu is how many hats you have collected, so it does not include the default 7, having the number under headgear in the stats list be 48 is the complete collection.

Continuing with my "every character unlocks certain hats" theory, I've started doing trophy rush as Villager (because LancerStaff mentioned that Villager dropped Panda Hat, which I need) and so far I've gotten:

1-Up Hat
Prince's Crown
Beehive Wig
Mii Force Helmet
Wedding Veil
Daisy's Crown

and Lacy Headband, which is one of the ones I needed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x-6NeTszvM2FFlshg1hyN4lcxfalkDE0PmV5IcNDptM/edit?usp=sharing
Awesome! That means I only have 6 more Mii Hats to obtain! Is that the same for custom moves? Counting the Mii Fighters as separate characters, there'd be a total of 408 custom moves, but you already start with all Mii Fighter custom moves (and I think Palutena's as well). I'm guessing the stats menu doesn't count those as well.

By the way, thanks for posting that spreadsheet. I'll look through it later and see if it has ay hats I'm missing.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Custom Moves seem to be 50% who you're currently playing and 50% totally random (with a small boosted chance for moves of who your opponents are, but that only applies to classic)

There are 376 Custom moves to obtain (47 characters * 8 unlockable moves per character) You don't need to unlock anyone's default specials and you are correct in that Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner, and Palutena all have all of their moves unlocked, which thankfully means they don't drop at all.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Right, so I need

Dragon Helmet
Lacy Headband
Red Shell Hat
Wario's Cap

Anyone know who's best for getting these?

krale

Smash Rookie
great idea, I have been playing for like 3 day with all the character and not getting the 4 headgear i need, might as well help.
also, why not make a tab for classic, trophy rush, target blast (and maybe smashrun)?

the 4 i need : Captain Falcon Helmet, Fancy Pirate Hat, Panda Hat, Wario's Cap

I saw you got wario's cap and captain falcon helmet from greninja ill try to play a few game of the different game mode with greninja.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
great idea, I have been playing for like 3 day with all the character and not getting the 4 headgear i need, might as well help.
also, why not make a tab for classic, trophy rush, target blast (and maybe smashrun)?

the 4 i need : Captain Falcon Helmet, Fancy Pirate Hat, Panda Hat, Wario's Cap

I saw you got wario's cap and captain falcon helmet from greninja ill try to play a few game of the different game mode with greninja.
Mostly because, as far as my testing has gone, you don't get different hats for different game modes, just for different characters. As far as my testing went Smash run, Classic (between 6.0 and 9.0) and trophy rush all gave the same hats for greninja.

Target blast is interesting, there seems to be some sort of system where it bases your rewards off of whoever you played last in any game mode, not who you're currently playing. So, for example, if you played a round of classic as Mario, then did target blast as Ganondorf, you'd be earning custom moves for Mario in target blast. I haven't tested if this affects hat drops or not (I find target blast to be very slow, trophy rush is easily the fastest method of getting parts, it gives about 1.75 parts per minute, while everything else gives about 1.00, the only downside is that it costs coins to play.)

Last edited:

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
I played a lot of classic as greninja to see if I could get your hats, but nope, I'm getting a whole lot of different hats with him.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
I played a lot of classic as greninja to see if I could get your hats, but nope, I'm getting a whole lot of different hats with him.
That's... strange. Which hats are you getting? What region DS/Game do you have?

krale

Smash Rookie
That's... strange. Which hats are you getting? What region DS/Game do you have?

same thing as qnez, i need 2 hat that you got from playing greninja (few post above).

played like 2-3 classic at intensity 8, every headgear i got was NOT in your list (your first comment of this thread) . I was getting like lion hat, meta knight mask, beehive. and other... ( i posted them on your google docs but for some reason some of them are not longer there.. )

Canada 3ds virtual version, have not played online or street-pass in weeks (prob change bias).

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm. It's possible that the total hats per character is more like 40 - 45 rather than 15 - 20, that would allow for more variability but would still maintain the "not all hats available to all characters" thing. It needs more testing, so for now just keep adding what you see to the list. All I know is that the last 3 hats I need (Lacy Headband, Santa Hat, and Panda Hat) are definitely NOT available if you're playing as Greninja.

Of course, it's also possible that the hats available by character change from person to person, or that its just a rate with certain hats more common and certain hats rarer by character, in which case tracking it is totally pointless, but let's keep at it and see what happens.

Last edited:

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, maybe there's something to it.
I played a lot of Trophy Rush a few days ago to get trophies and I got maybe 1 hat out of it.
Today I played it again to get hats and used Greninja this time. I got 3 hats within 10 tries. But that was it. Got nothing the next 20 tries or so.
Played other modes as well.. no hats. But when using Greninja in Trophy Rush, suddenly I get 3 in a short time.

It's pretty weird.

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
Thats luck.

I don't believe playing as a character helps at all. MAYBE that in classic the opponents you face have something to do with it(Got samus mask two different times when facing samus) But even then that could still be luck. Still need 7 Hats before I have every trophy. Just want to get done with it and enjoy the game again.
And then start the grind all over again on wii U.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
I'm doing more research and I think I found another factor. These are the hats that you get from specific challenges on the challenge board:

• American Football Helmet
  • Super Mushroom Hat
  • Luigi's Cap
  • Spiny Hat
  • Princess Zelda Wig
  • Samus's Helmet
  • Spartan Helmet
  • Top Hat
  • Regal Crown
  • Princess's Crown
  • Lion Hat
  • Prince's Crown

These hats can appear from random drops, but only after you complete the challenge and unlock them that way. This is very annoying, because it adds these hats to the random rotation, but it also means that these hats are likely available to every character. It would make no sense to restrict them the same way as the others since you can never get them "new" as a random drop. For the record, that means these are the only hats that are truly random drops:
  • 1-Up Mushroom Hat
  • Barbara the Bat Wig
  • Bear Hat
  • Beehive wig
  • Bovine Skull Hat
  • Captain Falcon's Helmet
  • Chef Hat
  • Chicken Hat
  • Chomp Hat
  • Daisy's Crown
  • Dog Ears
  • Dragon Helmet
  • Fancy Pirate Hat
  • Floral Hat
  • Frog Hat
  • Ice Hockey Mask
  • Lacy Headband
  • Magic Hat
  • Mario's Cap
  • Master Gardener's Crown
  • Meta Knight's Mask
  • Mii Force Helmet
  • Mini Top Hat
  • Panda Hat
  • Peach's Crown
  • Pirate Hat
  • Red Ribbon
  • Red Shell Hat
  • Samurai Helmet
  • Santa Hat
  • Sheik Mask
  • Shy Guy Mask
  • Swimming Hat
  • Waluigi's Cap
  • Wario's Cap
  • Wedding Veil

So basically anything in the first list we can ignore for the sake of the spreadsheet, this also explains minor variability it hats available per character, it can change based on whether or not you have the challenges completed.

Edit: Also checking on Reddit and several other places some people are reporting that certain hats are just rarer than others, as numerous people have stated that the Panda Hat is the last one/one of the last ones they need.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I somehow got the Frog Hat while playing Target Blast not too long ago. It's probably just coincidental, but that does leave me with only 3 more hats to collect.

Shippunai

Smash Rookie
well after a million hours of grinding im only missing the mini top hat anyone have any tips on getting it?

Chyro

Smash Rookie
I'm actually farming the classic 9.0 since 3 days and it's going to be very boring, no new hat but i'm still missing 4 of them.

i'm also completing the google doc with what i'm finding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom