• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fan Smashers v. 2

Statyx

Smash Rookie
NOTE: This is my very first thread, so if this belongs somewhere else, please don't hate. Just notify a mod, and PM to lemme know about moving the thread. After posting the original (which was locked) I was told to put it in the Brawl discussion area. If someone disagrees, I implore you to not lock this thread, but suggest moving it somewhere else!

All damage percentages are given as "fresh". All characters are copyright to their respective owner(s). All moves, statistics, and descriptions are completely fan-made, and have no reflection on past, current, or upcoming SSB game(s).

CHARACTER LIST

• Zero
  • Mega Man X
  • Omega
  • Hoenn Trainer
  • -Blaziken
  • -Grovyle
  • -Mudkip
  • Shadow the Hedgehog
  • Chaos 0

Table of Contents: Zero
  • General Description
  • Combo
  • Tilts
  • Other
  • Smash Attacks
  • Air Attacks
  • Grab & Throws
  • Specials
  • Misc.

NOTE: This fan-made rendition of Zero in the SSB franchise uses the appearance, abilities, and weapons of the MMZ incarnation of Zero.

General Description

Zero is rather unique in terms of his physical attributes. While Zero is a definite heavyweight (weighing as much as Charizard) with falling speed comparable to Falco, Zero is a high-mobility character with a dashing speed matching that of ZSS and Shiek and a big jump. This is combined with an amazing degree of air speed that allows Zero to cover surprising distances in a single jump. This is however marred by his aforementioned falling speed, and the fact that his second jump only gets about half the height of his first one. This means that while a capable air fighter, Zero will be spending most of his time on the ground.

Zero is marked as a definite close-combat fighter, with all of his most damaging and killing moves being within the range of his blade. Despite this, Zero is not unlike Link with a variety of long-range options for approach. His neutral special (Buster Shot) is a fairly fast projectile that allows Zero to attack at a distance, and while it has mediocre knockback it's unique in the it carries prolonged hitstun, giving Zero the opportunity to use his speed to get in close. Zero's down special (Energy Shield) not only allows prime defensive measures, but can also act as a long-range projectile with competent spike potential. Zero's Up Special (Chain Rod) can not only act as a tether, but can also be directed and actually pulls opponents in, slamming them to the ground in front of him, prime for combos or finishers. Despite the variety, all of these attacks are rather weak in knockback and/or damage, rendering them unreliable for kills and forcing Zero in close. This however can be accomplished with Zero's dash attack, which strikes fast and quickly racks up damage. While Zero further extends his reach with his standing grab, but this is one of the riskier methods, as Zero's grab has ending lag if it misses.

The red reploid also carries an exceptionally unique niche, in that three of his specials can be charged WHILE allowing Zero to retain his full mobility. While this gives Zero an exceptional edge in charging, he can't retain the charge via shielding or dodging like other characters. This restricts Zero from using any of his other specials until he launches his attack, leaving him vulnerable to approach, due to the fact that all of his long range attacks are specials.

Once Zero gets in close he is at his deadliest. His combo is strong and fast with minimal lag, capable of stringing into most of Zero's other attacks. His F-smash is highly damaging with K.O. potential as low as 110%, and with decent charge is capable of cutting through projectiles. His D-smash carries a high chance of tripping up opponents, with set knockback to keep the pressure off. His U-Smash carries a long-reaching but narrow range, and managing to hit with the tip carries massive incredible K.O. potential, making it a reliable finisher. However, while all of Zero's attacks come out fast and hard, his smash attacks all carry noticeable ending lag, leaving him vulnerable if he misses.

[Will add more detail later]

Combos

Combo: Zero's signature 3-slash combo. Average knockback at a diagonal angle. 3%-4%-8%

Tilts

F-tilt: Zero stabs his Z-Saber forward. Can be angled, with knockback direction matching said angle. 8-12%

D-tilt: Zero performs a ground-level slash. Carries upward knockback. 7-10%

U-tilt: Zero performs an upward slash, similar to his "Ryuujin" attack. Upward knockback. 8-11%

Other

Ledge: Zero slashes at the opponent. 8%

100% Ledge: Zero thrusts his Z-fist forward. 14%

Dash: Zero performs a quick jump, followed by a rolling slash. Downward knockback, 3-5% each hit, 5 hits max.

Smash Attacks

F-smash: Zero performs a powerful slash, similar in appearance to his full-charge slash. Horizontal knockback, and capable of destroying projectiles at higher charges. 21% uncharged, 32% fully charged.

D-Smash: Zero slams his fist into the ground, launching energy projectiles in front of and behind him. Set horizontal knockback. 19% uncharged, 27% fully charged.

U-Smash: Zero stabs his triple rod up into the air. Narrow range, but high knockback if the sweetspot hits. 23% uncharged, 28% fully charged.

Air Attacks

N-air: Zero performs an airborne rolling slash. Above-average knockback, 15%

F-air: Zero performs a forward kick. Sex kick, 12%

U-air: Zero thrusts his recoil rods above him. High vertical knockback, 16%

D-air: Zero thrusts his triple rod down below him. Capable of meteor spiking, 13%

B-air: Zero slashes behind him. Below-average knockback, 14%

Grab & Throws

Standing grab: Zero launches his Chain Rod forward, then pulls in the opponent. Has ending lag that leaves him vulnerable.

Running grab: Zero lunges, reaching out with his Z-fist activated.

Pummel: Zero bolts the opponent with a blast of energy from his Z-fist. 3%

F-throw: Zero lets go, then stabs his opponent with his Recoil Rod. 8%

B-throw: Zero swings the opponent overhead, then blasts them with point-blank Buster Shot. 8%

D-throw: Zero slams his opponent into the ground, then blasts them with a powerful bolt of energy from his Z-fist. 8%

U-throw: Zero lifts up his opponent, then stabs his opponent with his Z-Saber

Specials

Neutral Special- Buster Shot: Zero fires at the opponent with his Buster Shot. Uncharged the speed is equal to Falco's laser, and the firing rate is equal to Wolf's. Each hit does 9%. First level of charge fires two shots with increased speed and power, 16% each. Second level of charge fires a single shot with further increased speed and power, with 34%. Even fully charged, the shots have minimal knockback, but even prolonged hitstun that's increased with charge level.

Forward Special- Z-Fist: Zero thrusts his Z-fist forward, grabbing his opponent and blasting them with energy. Charging the attack increases the power of the blast. Zero can use this attack while dashing, which carries the same animation as his dash grab. Upon grabbing and blasting the enemy, Zero steals whatever item they are carrying (excluding crates) or wearing, and can even steal Smash Balls. 15% uncharged, 35% fully charged.

Down Special- Shield Boomerang: Zero holds out his Shield Boomerang in front of him, which deflects projectiles. Able to angle a full 90% upward. The attack blocks physical attacks as well, but only reduces knockback; does not fully remove it. The Shield Boomerang can be thrown vertically, horizontally, and at 45 degrees. The attack carries three hits along its trail at 4% each, with a fourth hit at its apex, with deals 18% and spikes downward.

Up Special- Chain Rod: Zero throws out his Chain Rod at the same angles as the Shield Boomerang. If it hits, the Chain Rod pulls the opponent in and slams them to the ground in front of Zero. Acts as a tether recovery. 15% damage, no knockback.

Final Smash- Black Zero Armor: Zero transforms into an MMZ version of his well-known Black Armor. Zero's mobility and attack speed are both drastically increased, while the damage his attacks deal are doubled. However, Zero's traction is reduced, and the damage Zero takes while in this form is also doubled. If a smash attack is used in this form, the range is noticeably increased, and the knockback is enough to K.O. at 70-80% However, performing a smash attack also cancels the transformation, as does getting K.O.'ed.

Misc.

Up Taunt: Zero swings his Z-Saber in a quick Z-formation, saying "Is that all you've got?"

Side Taunt: Zero looks at his palm as it glows with green energy, then swings his hand to the side.

Down Taunt: Zero pulls out his Buster Shot and spins it, saying "That's it? Pathetic." before putting his Buster Shot back.

Loss: Zero claps slowly with his back to the camera.

Victory:
*1- Zero swings his Z-Saber three times in a Z-formation before sheathing it, his back to the camera.
*2- Zero spins his Triple Rod before striking a stance, facing the camera.
*3- Zero stands to the side, arms crossed, and looks at the camera.

Table of Contents: Mega Man X
  • General Description
  • Combo
  • Tilts
  • Other
  • Smash Attacks
  • Air Attacks
  • Grab & Throws
  • Specials
  • Misc.

General Description

So, that's what I've got so far on this. I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I'm glad to finally get it down. Thoughts?

Update 1: Okay, too big!! Too big!!
Update 2: Editing some little hiccups.
Update 3: Added two additional characters.
Update 4: Added Zero's Final Smash.

Statyx

Smash Rookie
Could people please comment on this? I worked an hour and a half typing up the first part, then continued to work on it. I'd also like some tips on the technical aspects, like how to put links to each character and the sections of the tables of content?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
One thing I'll say right off the bat. The Zero moveset sounds REALLY overpowered. It's basically taking Metaknight, removing his jumps but giving him amazing projectiles, more weight and very strong killing moves. It makes NO sense for Zero to be a heavyweight character, especially when you're using the MMZ version, who's quite slender in build (moreso than his MMX counterpart). He should be a lightweight/lightmiddleweight. If you look at games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 3, Zero is a low health character with good mobility, good reach and priority, low damage but long multi-hit combos and projectiles that are used more less for zoning and more as an integral part of his combos. Now I realise this is an MMZ Zero moveset, but the playstyle basis can still be applied here.

Secondly, his smashes and projectiles are absolutely absurd. Not even Ike can do 37% on a fully charged smash attack. The F Smash realistically should do no more than 21% fully charged, and even that's pretty high considering that Zero's sword is pretty large and Zero is a naturally quick character. The projectiles are even worse. The Neutral B in particular. 9% for a base level shot that moves as fast as Falco's? Are you kidding? Wolf's does I believe 4 or 5% and moves slower and not as far. It should theoretically do 2 or 3% at base. And 34% is way too much for full charge. Not even Lucario's N-B at max aura level does that.

Finally, some of it isn't even really possible. Up Special tether is possible, but the throw part isn't and making him change to the black armour for the FS also isn't possible. Launching proper energy projectiles for the D Smash isn't possible either.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a douche, but this really needs to be rethought. You've made him far too good because you've made him effective in every area except recovery. Find a proper niche for him, then rethink the moveset (I'd recommend the one I mentioned before with the TvC/MvC3 niche).

On a side note, what's the point of a Shadow the Hedgehog moveset? We have a bajillion already.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
This guy hasn't been on since the 19th of December.
Is it safe to assume that this'll go nowhere?

Innerscope

Smash Apprentice
@segtendo: Yep. Moveset is poorly thought out and there is no proof of progress. Just a wall of text explaining an idea.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
The author of this thread PM'd me and asked for the thread to be reopened.
I'll be nice and do it.

Statyx

Smash Rookie
@SilentDoom: I went with fast and heavy because despite his ability, Zero is still a robot. In other words, made out of a large amount of metal, machinery, and other heavy objects. I realize some may be overpowered, but I honestly believe(d) I was within reason when I made this. I made sure to use a reference for average damage scales by going to the Smash wiki and using references for damage scale from there (mainly Link). I went with making Zero variable in range because if you look at his MMZ incarnation, much of his weaponry is mid or long range, though he still maintains a close-range speciality.

Also, I see your point suggesting going with Tatsunoko/Marvel vs. Capcom; problem is I purposefully intended to go against that, because I was first properly introduced to Zero in his Mega Man Zero incarnation, which is my favored one story, ability, and design-wise. If you want specific responses for any of your comments I'll be free to give them at request.

Also, I wanna do a Shadow moveset because I'm a fan of Shadow. Lot's of people may have done it, but I see no reason why that would prevent me from doing so.

@Innerscope: I take offense at you calling this a wall of text, because I went through a great deal of work attempting to organize and be as detailed as possible with this information. What's more, this is the first time I've EVER seriously attempted to make a moveset. I have no prior experience beyond coming up with moves for characters. Heck, I don't even fully understand the concept of hitboxes yet! And the reason there was no improvement is shown in the dates: my post was made on the 15th, and there was not a single post until the 30th; fifteen days after I put hours of work into this. I wasn't going to put more work into it until I saw it actually go somewhere, because otherwise there's no point. In the end I just ended up forgetting about it until recently.

This is hardly perfect, obviously, but I'm no pro at this in any sense of the word. Just a little slack and some more constructive suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MetroidMaster1

Smash Apprentice
1: Being a machine and being made of metal parts doesn't automatically make one heavy.
Otherwise we wouldn't have animes where Giant mechs can move at insane speeds, most of the time during combat. (And in a certain kickass anime(Technical anime, I know it wasn't made in japan) by america a mix of both.

Samus's entire Outer Suit is made of metal, yet she can move just as fluently as she normally can, Megaman and Zero are the same or at least similar to Samus, just without the human underneath the 'armor'. Pluss we don't really know what kind of mechanics and whatnot are driving/moving those two.

2: Don't do shadow, he's been done to death and even Silent Doom is sick of hearing about him. XP Not only that, he's insanely impossible to make balanced, again even Silent Doom admitted to that.
If you want to do a sonic character, think of someone more creative, like Espeo or Blaze, those two have WAY more potential to be fully original while still in character.

3: I hate to sound a bit blunt, but "First time ever" isn't really an excuse to expect people to automatically love the idea, to make something is to re-make something. I don't know how many times I've revamped my Krystal Moveset before finalizing it(And even then I'm still trying to come up with a final smash for her that won't be totally lame/cheep/uninspired :/ ) it's just like writing a good story, it takes time and patients, and possibly several do-overs.

Don't worry about rushing a project, take the advice from the more experienced hackers on here (though I'm not quite experienced myself, I can still give ideas and feedback...) and be patient, it doesn't matter if people like the idea or not, just do it. That's why I'm still working my *** off on my Rock Lee PSA :) I don't care how many people notice it, I'm doin it cause I like the character =3

Statyx

Smash Rookie
1: They're able to do that through high performance motor functions or equally powerful propulsion systems. It's the same reason jets that weigh several tons are able to fly, and 20,000 ton ships are able to float. Granted those are based more around design and physics than performance alone, but you get my meaning.

Samus is still heavy, and in SSB games has to use her jets to actually jump. Plus there's the bid-like DNA she's been infused with. I'm not questioning their mobility, I'm just using physics to give an interesting feature to a character. After all, how many fast heavyweights are there?

Not trying to be difficult, just giving my view of the subject.

2: Hey, doesn't mean I still can't try XD Besides, you want original? I have Chaos 0 up there as one of the first I've ever done.

3: It's not an excuse for people to love it; I'm just hoping inexperience will earn a little slack if/when I make a mistake.

Well, I'm not really rushing anything; I haven't the slightest clue how to hack a game ^^| I'm just coming up with these because I love the characters and wanna make up movesets for them. Y'know, just cause I can. That's really all there is to it XD

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Throwing out ideas that you can't actually make a reality will hardly garner interest at all. That's really all there is to it.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
This board is designed for custom content that is actively being worked on - i.e. not just a concept. Concepts should probably go in a different board.

Top Bottom