• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Famitsu Sakurai interview: Wii U version officially bigger!

R0Y

Smash Master
What was the reason to make the Nintendo 3DS [version of Smash Bros.] before the Wii U [version]?

Compared to the 3DS [version], the Wii U [version] is larger in scale and also has many modes so the production takes time. It is that simple.

There are fighters that got their Final Smashes changed and fighters that didn’t; what is the reason for this?

It differs depending on the case. Lucario['s final smash changed] because Mega Evolution was introduced in the latest installment [of Pokemon]. Pit because Palutena turned into a fighter. Moves, too, were modified due to balancing and elements of the new game were factored in.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/1...ndo-3ds-version-of-smash-bros-first-and-more/

@Reila post if you're okay.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I'm expecting the Wii U version to be really big, at the very least, Brawl-sized.
If it were to be the same size of the 3DS version, I would have just cried a bit.

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
Does anyone know how much gigs Brawl was? Because I'm going digital on this one and I wanna know how much size I have to give up for that :/

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I'd certainly be concerned if the U version was smaller somehow.
Exactly, I was hoping they didn't limit the Wii U version based on the 3DS, cause tbh, 3DS is lacking in the modes department a bit..

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
This means nothing for new characters...*sigh*
But at least the gamemodes might be interesting! There's more to Smash than just characters :) We might still get them as DLC or Wii U launch

Raijinken

Smash Master
Exactly, I was hoping they didn't limit the Wii U version based on the 3DS, cause tbh, 3DS is lacking in the modes department a bit..
I mean, having similar versions on two systems limits things in different ways. If the U version was only different in graphics, it wouldn't take them an extra two months to prepare. The 3DS limitations already prompted things like splitting transformation characters and cutting some notorious chaingrabbers. But aside from things like that, there's no reason, from a content stance, to keep things out of the U version just because of the 3DS version.

Side note: I like the ICs, but they were broken, and so I'm not sad about that. I fully support bringing Popo back and possibly making Nana a clone.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
This means nothing for new characters...*sigh*
Even if there's new characters to be reveal on the WiiU version, he will say nothing about it in interview like this, because the way he gives informations(teasing, playing with players) It would be strange to see "megaton announce" in classical paper magazine.

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Um... what? This was an obvious thing. No reason to make a thread about it. Shall we make a thread about how it's confirmed that Smash on Wii U is being possible to play on a TV as well?

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know how much gigs Brawl was? Because I'm going digital on this one and I wanna know how much size I have to give up for that :/
Brawl was around 7-8 GB. No idea how much this'll be though haha.

Naoshi

Brawl was around 7-8 GB. No idea how much this'll be though haha.
Also should be noted that Brawl had a lot of videos (many many SSE videos) which probably took up so much space. I can sort of see SSB4 being less than 8GB or probably around it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Fake , Sm4sh is too big , the Wii U can't handle it . :troll:

Without the SSE Videos it's 4 GB

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Why don't they annonce Sm4sh for PS3/PSVITA ?

Oh wait it's already exist :yeahboi:

BTW , if the new big mode is this "board game" , i will cry and go back play the SSE ...

Naoshi

Personally the board game sounds several times more appealing than SSE to me, but I am pretty vocal on my hate for SSE, so I'll keep it to myself this time. lol

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
If the board game mode is anything like the Mortal Kombat Deception Chess mode I am so incredibly down for it

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
As someone who hasn't played that game, how does it work exactly?
It was basically just like a chess board- You pick one character to represent each piece (So if you pick Scorpion for the Pawns, you have eight Scorpions in the front row), and each different piece has additional health or buffs or whatever since they're a better piece. They always move in the same ways that real chess pieces do as well.

Instead of just knocking off other players, you'd start a battle with them and the winner took the losing piece.

So clearly, pawns are the worst, they only had 40% of their total health available to them but you've got eight of them so it was a good idea to use a character for them you were really good with (I always used Ermac). Your rooks didn't matter what character you picked because they would turn into the character they were attacking. It goes on like that, I think that something like this could really be fruitful for Smash as it's always been down for special modes.

I shrug, it's just what leapt to my mind first. I always loved Chess Kombat.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Don't worry, I'm sure it won't be too much. Have you seen 3d world's file size! I hear it has lot of content but a small size. It's like alien compression.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, duh, of course. Smash 3DS is a significantly smaller game than Brawl was if we look past the character roster, if both entries had less content than the last installment after almost 3 years of development they'd have ****ed up.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Everyone has the rights to like what they want to like! That's what makes everyone unique.
*Pats Head*
Good Boy
But anyway, this was to be expected. Though I certainly wish there will be a revamp of Melee's adventure mode in the Wii U version. The 3DS version is very.... Limited.... I can only hope that Sakurai cut the 3DS version short to make the Wii U version fully fleshed out and bigger than Brawl.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, duh, of course. Smash 3DS is a significantly smaller game than Brawl was if we look past the character roster, if both entries had less content than the last installment after almost 3 years of development they'd have ****ed up.
What more content did you want besides extra characters and stages?

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
It was basically just like a chess board- You pick one character to represent each piece (So if you pick Scorpion for the Pawns, you have eight Scorpions in the front row), and each different piece has additional health or buffs or whatever since they're a better piece. They always move in the same ways that real chess pieces do as well.

Instead of just knocking off other players, you'd start a battle with them and the winner took the losing piece.

So clearly, pawns are the worst, they only had 40% of their total health available to them but you've got eight of them so it was a good idea to use a character for them you were really good with (I always used Ermac). Your rooks didn't matter what character you picked because they would turn into the character they were attacking. It goes on like that, I think that something like this could really be fruitful for Smash as it's always been down for special modes.

I shrug, it's just what leapt to my mind first. I always loved Chess Kombat.
I loved Chess Kombat as well. Too bad we can't get Smash Chess. Always down with another board game though.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
It better be bigger. My wallet is getting smaller.

I loved Chess Kombat as well. Too bad we can't get Smash Chess. Always down with another board game though.
I'd be a neat idea. I can see the amibos being used as chess pieces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom