• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcons Throw

HiddenElf22

Smash Cadet
OF ALL MY TIME PLAYING SMASH ONLY ONE THING HAS PISSED ME OFF MORE THAN ANYTHING

FALCONS THROW

Will someone else agree with me that somehow his throw is ****ing rigged and has super reach and speed above all others. I was even DK and this kid somehow still threw me and threw me and threw me. It's hax. You could be stnading in front of him, grab grab grab and never grab him. He will be grab grab grab and not grab you. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN HE DOES GRAB YOU. HE ALWAYS DOES!>!>!>!>!>! WHY

kit

Smash Apprentice
I can think of a few good reasons but... look unto thyne self for therein lies teh answer... In a game with limitations you can be just as good as your opponent... know thy opponent study them well... and learn to be like them/to be better than them/ to beat them....

Smash Lord
Learn how to play fox. He can make a good falcon player cry. The laser screws up a lot of his approaches. Oh, and shinespiking is soooooo easy. Reversed backairs are good too.

If you don't feel like playing fox, dashdancing and airials as he approaches are what you want to do. Make him eat a wall of priority to grab you. Moves with long range and duration are good. Play the priority game (without grabs). Stay airborne if you can. It makes it harder for him to play the grab and chase game. If you're DK go for stuff like forward or down dilts.

I would say you could try sitting on a small platform except you'd get ***** by upairs and the combo thereafter. Falcon players love that move even more than their already broken grab.

HiddenElf22

Smash Cadet
I do play as Fox lololol. Well, I play any character but fox is def my fav. The thing is I think we've played this falcon vs. fox matchup SO MANY TIMES and he almost solely plays as falcon, either he's learned to predict me, or the something fishy with the grab.

I also thought it might have to deal with shield grabbing vs. R grabbing. But I started using A+Z to grab and still run into the same problems.

OR maybe it has to also do with his hitbox during animations. Like I'll be on top of him, grab but it won't grab, then eh get's an easy grab.

As for being fox, I've done well with repeated sh bairs on his sheild, but he just waits till I screw up and land in front of him. Shinespiking does own him too. As for lazers I'm pretty good with them, I don't have shdl down, but I love coming up from a ledge with two lazer shots then grab or whatever. But yeah lazers do good, but maybe I'm too aggressive otherwise.

MattNF

Smash Lord
yeah, fox's grab can be ******** sometimes because it has really small range

NixxxoN

Smash Master
HiddenElf, it seems you havent tried fireball spamming with mario or utilt spamming with kirby for example

HiddenElf22

Smash Cadet
oh yeah I can mess him up with most characters, but fox is my favorite and I do this for bragging rights

and yes, upsmash is ridiculous too

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I do play as Fox lololol. Well, I play any character but fox is def my fav. The thing is I think we've played this falcon vs. fox matchup SO MANY TIMES and he almost solely plays as falcon, either he's learned to predict me, or the something fishy with the grab.

I also thought it might have to deal with shield grabbing vs. R grabbing. But I started using A+Z to grab and still run into the same problems.

OR maybe it has to also do with his hitbox during animations. Like I'll be on top of him, grab but it won't grab, then eh get's an easy grab.

As for being fox, I've done well with repeated sh bairs on his sheild, but he just waits till I screw up and land in front of him. Shinespiking does own him too. As for lazers I'm pretty good with them, I don't have shdl down, but I love coming up from a ledge with two lazer shots then grab or whatever. But yeah lazers do good, but maybe I'm too aggressive otherwise.
Space better.

Use some tilts. As others said fox's grab has bad range, and if it's not working for you just ftilt to knock falcon away or dtilt and combo (utilt is good too but has bad range).

Also shield grabbing should hardly ever work, make sure you're pressuring his shield from behind him. Usmash out of shield is more worrisome.

I don't think shine spikes are a good edgeguard in fox v falcon because you can just use bair which has more range or dsmash/dtilt if he's coming from below. Shine spikes have low range so you can get grabbed by his up b.

Smash Lord

Well if spacing isn't doing enough, (in all honesty everyone in this game could always use practice here) the only thing to do is to learn how to play more offensively and take advantage of character quirks. Falcon can be a ***** because a single hit/grab usually means, at worst, 40% and usually more. You need to get better at either:
A: your own comboing/fluency.
B: getting kills at the lowest possible percents.

For A, get ideas from watching videos, practice those combos, and practice adapting them for different percents, situations etc. Use practice mode, level 1's, level 9's or whatever works for you to improve your comboing abilities.

For B, just start paying attention to %'s you get kills at where you get them, and what move/moves. Sometimes it's surprising how much this can help. It can let you use a quicker or easier kill move when appropriate, or know if it is even possible in the first place. watching videos will obviously help too.

Anyway, the theory behind all that is if you can't beat him by getting hit less, beat him by hitting him more than he hits you.

If you still want more suggestions, pay attention to your on stage position. Is your back to a wall? Are you above your opponent (really freaking bad if you're playing against falcon)? are you too close to the edge? Are you between your opponent and the edge? If you answered yes to any of those questions, you stand a higher chance of dying sooner than you chould. Either that, or you're about to take a ton of damage.

One last thing, I play a ton of falcon myself and I can tell you, the one thing that captain falcon lacks is a good killing ability. His kills moves are spiking you or hitting you with a reverse upair in the finishing frames (hard to land). Everything else seems either too slow or requires a higher amount of damage. What this means is after he has you at 120%, he will still struggle to kill you. The above paragraph explains how to exploit that. Position is extremely important to falcon. Abuse it to the fullest and don't forget to DI.

Hope this helped.

I don't think shine spikes are a good edgeguard in fox v falcon because you can just use bair which has more range or dsmash/dtilt if he's coming from below. Shine spikes have low range so you can get grabbed by his up b.
Ummm............ You are really freaking slow if you let this happen. Up B for falcon has a good amount of lag to abuse. And for the record, if timed right (not difficult) the reflector has priority over the up b every time.

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
That's like saying you should always attempt TAS combos when easier combos exist. Oh, i'll just shut up with these TAS analogies. =[

HiddenElf22

Smash Cadet
Space better.

Use some tilts. As others said fox's grab has bad range, and if it's not working for you just ftilt to knock falcon away or dtilt and combo (utilt is good too but has bad range).

Also shield grabbing should hardly ever work, make sure you're pressuring his shield from behind him. Usmash out of shield is more worrisome.

Yeha we played today and ftilt/dtilt works really. It just seems like I get too excited, go for the attack and land in front of him, giving him the grab. I'll just have to get used to it.

And I need to upload a video or something so you can see this kid's grabbing, it's utterly INSANE. I was playing ness today and he freaking grabbed me through the down smash yoyo. I don't even know man.

And shine spikes are nice when you have the good positioning to get that second shine when he's off the ledge, but otherwise I find the opponent can see it coming

elf falcons grab is nothing comapred to kirbys up tilt
This is true, but I'm not playing against any good kirbys :p

Am I the only one here who thinks that shinespiking is easy? I always thought it was a quick and easy kill. Am I wrong?
It's very nice IMO when they aren't expecting it, if they are, you'll find it harder and harder as they switch up recovery.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Am I the only one here who thinks that shinespiking is easy? I always thought it was a quick and easy kill. Am I wrong?
I'm talking about using it when they're already off the ledge. If you mean when they're on the stage then yeah it's a nice way to get them below the stage if you can get it. Low range, but very little lag plus you can shine cancel out of a dash.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
And I need to upload a video or something so you can see this kid's grabbing, it's utterly INSANE.
Yeah I've encountered one of these naturally good grabbers freshman year of college when I was just learning teching and z-canceling who gave me a lot of trouble (and can still kill my yoshi). These guys are pretty much at the top of the scrub level (3B), and are really good at dashgrabs and baiting/spacing/defensive play. Like the learning curve says, level 4's can still lose to level 3's if not careful (I would add "often" even).

There's this one guy in particular at my college who I think would be a really good smasher if he chose to learn more of the game beyond level 3.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Try using pivots, tilts, and lasers.

Yeah I've encountered one of these naturally good grabbers freshman year of college when I was just learning teching and z-canceling who gave me a lot of trouble (and can still kill my yoshi). These guys are pretty much at the top of the scrub level (3B), and are really good at dashgrabs and baiting/spacing/defensive play. Like the learning curve says, level 4's can still lose to level 3's if not careful (I would add "often" even).

There's this one guy in particular at my college who I think would be a really good smasher if he chose to learn more of the game beyond level 3.
I see about half of the players online can relate to something like this.

HiddenElf22

Smash Cadet
Ness's dsmash starts behind him, so it makes perfect sense that a dashgrab would catch you while dsmashing :confused:
THe yoyo was coming towards him, I mean I don't remember it, but like all his grab hacks, we paused for a second and just looked at each other, and he knew it was BS. He agreed it was his worst grab hack ever. God I was raging

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
yeah, fox's grab can be ******** sometimes because it has really small range
You do know Fox's grab is second only to DK among non-tether grabbers as far as range goes, right?

And to OP, if you are sitting there both trying to grab each other and missing and suddenly one of you is successful, it's because you extend your hurtbox when DK reaches out with his arms to grab people. Other characters do it too, but I think DK is probably most noticeable.

MattNF

Smash Lord
You do know Fox's grab is second only to DK among non-tether grabbers as far as range goes, right?

And to OP, if you are sitting there both trying to grab each other and missing and suddenly one of you is successful, it's because you extend your hurtbox when DK reaches out with his arms to grab people. Other characters do it too, but I think DK is probably most noticeable.
WUT

proof?

when I play as fox it seems like you can't grab them unless you're right on top of them

then again I dont use fox much :(

rpotts

Smash Lord
As far as i can tell pikachu's grab seems to be the longest range other than DK for no-tethers. It's very long range, almost as long as pikachu himself.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah Pika's grab range is definitely longer than Fox's.

But fox is the easiest to grab with cause hes fast and lasers can guarantee grabs.

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
Grabbing is pretty freaking weird sometimes. Like when you grab people behind you, and sometimes anyone's grab looks like a magnet. But consistancy wise, I find DK (obviously) has the longest range grab, followed by Pika. This isn't backed up with data or anything, just what i've noticed while playing. Pika has some really gay magnet grabs.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Don't get grabbed. IF you're dk just grab and forward throw falcon while jumping off the edge and then use up b. That's pretty effective. If falcon is off the edge and he comes back you suck with DK.

Everything about kirby is more unfair than that throw anyway. Jesus christ the **** kirby can do in a pro match.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
When I'm DK, my method of edgeguarding Falcon is by just standing on the edge of the stage and grabbing his up-B, then just throwing him off the stage. DK's grab range > Falcon's up-B grab range. I just continue f-throwing him off until he gets thrown too far to recover. Of course there are many better methods of edgeguarding, but not many are as funny as that. It's perfect against predictable Falcon recoveries as well lol.

DMoogle

A$
When I'm DK, my method of edgeguarding Falcon is by just standing on the edge of the stage and grabbing his up-B, then just throwing him off the stage. DK's grab range > Falcon's up-B grab range. I just continue f-throwing him off until he gets thrown too far to recover. Of course there are many better methods of edgeguarding, but not many are as funny as that. It's perfect against predictable Falcon recoveries as well lol.
Didn't know that (DK's probably my worst character). Thanks!

Top Bottom